HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2011-2012 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Ellis has the physicality and leadership that Carle never showed.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Avtsin had a great year in Russia then fizzled out here.

And that late round history doesn't make these picks turn into blue-chippers. Milroy, Locke, D'Agostini (he actually turned out pretty well once he got out of here) amongst (many) others really didn't meet the ridiculous expectations people put on them during their junior years (D'Agostini was during the Dogs' cup run iirc).

Prospects are fun to follow and everything. But it's unwise to start putting too much into it until they start playing pro.

Comparing him to Gorges and talking about him playing in the NHL (maybe as soon as next year) is way, way too quick.
Avtsin had 9 points in 30 games the year before he came, not sure how that translates to a "great year"?

The history doesn't make these guys into blue chippers, but it shows that not all mid and late round picks will fizzle out, some become very good NHLers.

Ellis has all the tools to be a good 2nd pair NHL d-man in 3-5 years. Why would comparing him to Gorges be an issue, Ellis compares favorably to Gorges at the same age. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it's fun to project.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Avtsin had 9 points in 30 games the year before he came, not sure how that translates to a "great year"?
That's a pretty good year for a rookie in the KHL.

Quote:
The history doesn't make these guys into blue chippers, but it shows that not all mid and late round picks will fizzle out, some become very good NHLers.

Ellis has all the tools to be a good 2nd pair NHL d-man in 3-5 years. Why would comparing him to Gorges be an issue, Ellis compares favorably to Gorges at the same age. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it's fun to project.
Yes, some become good NHLers, but people ******* all over prospects happens all the time for just about every prospect just about every year.

I'm just saying some people are going way too far already. Kid's been in the system for a year and a half and some are willing to pencil him in the lineup in 2-3 years. It's not like he was in Team Canada either.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Protest the Hero

People were excited for Avtsin because he's 6'3", right handed Russian winger.

People are excited about Ellis because we've seen him play, and he's a leader. He's not going to wow you with his stats, he's just a really solid defenceman.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
He was also on pace for a ridiculous amount of points his last season before the R-N trade. Something like 90 some iirc.

This happens every single time a mid-to-late round pick starts doing something good, people start pimping them.

Look at what happened to Avtsin.
Personally Ive never been a Carle fan, was seen as a Yanick Weber type of puckmoving defenseman but his play in his own zone, attitude and decision making were very questionable.. It has nothing to do with Morgan Ellis who is extremmely well rounded and can do everything you ask from a defenseman.. This kid is the real deal IMO.. Big steady, calm, poised, great leadership skills and underrated offensive skills.. Not very flashy but just rock solid at doing everything.. He really is a presence on the ice..

Old
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That's a pretty good year for a rookie in the KHL.

Yes, some become good NHLers, but people ******* all over prospects happens all the time for just about every prospect just about every year.

I'm just saying some people are going way too far already. Kid's been in the system for a year and a half and some are willing to pencil him in the lineup in 2-3 years. It's not like he was in Team Canada either.
Why does it bother you so much?

People were also down on Kristo and called him a bust last year and were ready to deal him for 4th line scrappers...he's bounced back and they are back to projecting him as a top 6 NHLers. It goes both ways.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Ellis reminds me or gorges with better offensive abilities.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Well after the last two games the Habs can't lose anything by giving Avtsin a try.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Ellis has the physicality and leadership that Carle never showed.
And, you know, doesn't get injured when someone sneezes on him.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Why does it bother you so much?

People were also down on Kristo and called him a bust last year and were ready to deal him for 4th line scrappers...he's bounced back and they are back to projecting him as a top 6 NHLers. It goes both ways.
My opinion (for what it's worth...) on the subject.

First, on this board (and particularly this topic) people overrating our prospects ≥ people underrating them. Just take a look at comments on how few "negative" or "constructive" comments you can find on the last ten pages of the prospects thread. The same could apply to most teams board, but habs and leafs board (because there are so many posters) are probably the least objective in that regard. For some posters (and I am one of them), I like to get the most objective information you can get on prospects, not just the best they bring but also what they need to work on, etc...

Second, what makes hfboards one of the most (if not the most) interesting site is the impressive knowledge concentration on our prospects. You could find hardcore habs fans on a few sites, but not the information some posters bring to this site. Problem is (again, just my opinion) mood swings dilute this rich quantity of information. How can someone get a fair evaluation of a player like Ellis when in two pages he went from a pleasant surprise for a mid round drafted player for some to a steal in the draft and a can't miss top 4 dman or a Gorges with better offense ?

Old
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Protest the Hero

Well if you ask me about Avtsin right now I'd say he's shown very little progress towards becoming an NHL player.

There's not much to dislike about Ellis at this moment though.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:18 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
My opinion (for what it's worth...) on the subject.

First, on this board (and particularly this topic) people overrating our prospects ≥ people underrating them. Just take a look at comments on how few "negative" or "constructive" comments you can find on the last ten pages of the prospects thread. The same could apply to most teams board, but habs and leafs board (because there are so many posters) are probably the least objective in that regard. For some posters (and I am one of them), I like to get the most objective information you can get on prospects, not just the best they bring but also what they need to work on, etc...

Second, what makes hfboards one of the most (if not the most) interesting site is the impressive knowledge concentration on our prospects. You could find hardcore habs fans on a few sites, but not the information some posters bring to this site. Problem is (again, just my opinion) mood swings dilute this rich quantity of information. How can someone get a fair evaluation of a player like Ellis when in two pages he went from a pleasant surprise for a mid round drafted player for some to a steal in the draft and a can't miss top 4 dman or a Gorges with better offense ?
Because now he is playing for the Cats some have the chance to see more of him, Not only his stats?

Old
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
How can someone get a fair evaluation of a player like Ellis when in two pages he went from a pleasant surprise for a mid round drafted player for some to a steal in the draft and a can't miss top 4 dman or a Gorges with better offense ?
Those types of comments also has to stop. Unless you have a proof that the SAME poster went from having an opinion to a total different opinion in 2 weeks, THEN you have a case. But isn't it possible that different opinions comes from different people? I know I had Ellis in my list of picks I wanted and was very high on him from the get-go. NOW, there is that thing called development when if it's impossible for HEAD SCOUTS PROS to determine their exact ceiling, it has to be tough for amateur armchiar scouts like ourselves. So we do have to reassess their ceiling based on his progression. So it is possible that on a longer time period, a guy goes from a good pick to a great/steal one. And people, not saying you, should make the difference between the analysis the day of the draft, 2 years from it, 4 years and 10 years from it. A steal at the draft the day it happens, is obviously not what the real steals are all about.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:47 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
NOW, there is that thing called development when if it's impossible for HEAD SCOUTS PROS to determine their exact ceiling, it has to be tough for amateur armchiar scouts like ourselves.
I totally disagree.

After a player's career is over, I'm 100% accurate in determining their ceiling.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Grant McCagg

Guess Quailer is okay.....

twitter.com/#!/HuskyHockeyBlog

Steve Quailer was injured in the late stages of the game and was seen
post-game in a leg brace and using a crutch. 30 Jan Favorite Retweet

MRI was negative. He was walking fine today but no word on whether he
will play or not in tonight's game. 2 Feb Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Compares even better. Ellis was a captain of his team.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Grant McCagg

Just got an update from Trevor Timmins who spoke to Quailer on the phone

He is out three weeks with sprained ligaments -MCL and ACL

Old
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

thanks for the update, that's a tough break for him and Northeastern but at least it sounds like he will be back in time for the playoffs.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Compares even better. Ellis was a captain of his team.
Have you any proof to back up such a statement?

Old
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Hows Kristo? I'm feeling he could end up like McDonnagh... Great College career, never came to camps due to NCAA Rules, so barely anyone talks about him, letting him develop properly. I just hope we don't trade him and see what he can bring to the Club...

I think hes forced to go to the AHL/NHL next year right? Or is he eligible for 1 more year @ UND

Old
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

I guess I missed the memo, but what's happening to Dustin Walsh? Can this guy be free of injuries at some point?

Old
02-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Have you any proof to back up such a statement?
??

Old
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
??

Looks shopped.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Guys, Ellis WAS the captain of his team.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Hows Kristo? I'm feeling he could end up like McDonnagh... Great College career, never came to camps due to NCAA Rules, so barely anyone talks about him, letting him develop properly. I just hope we don't trade him and see what he can bring to the Club...

I think hes forced to go to the AHL/NHL next year right? Or is he eligible for 1 more year @ UND
Odds are he signs this summer, but he's in his junior year so he can go back to UND if he wants.

Closed Thread