HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Show your age ... my first video gaming system and/or first car was ...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
+1 for the Traverse

as a part time 'mechanic' I would say that the Traverse is a better vehicle
here's a vote for the subaru impreza wagon... 2 adults- 2 car seats and can fit the 70# pooch in the trunk. I too got a roof rack (after market) and use that on long trips for all of us. + the 4 wheel drive is great in the snow- its not an illusion of safety which some SUVs bring (no knowledge about the vehicles in question- so I'm not knocking them). down side is gas mileage because its 4wheel drive all the time..

Edit: just dont get it at Northtowns- I have a bone to pick with them and their service team

Old
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
here's a vote for the subaru impreza wagon... 2 adults- 2 car seats and can fit the 70# pooch in the trunk. I too got a roof rack (after market) and use that on long trips for all of us. + the 4 wheel drive is great in the snow- its not an illusion of safety which some SUVs bring (no knowledge about the vehicles in question- so I'm not knocking them). down side is gas mileage because its 4wheel drive all the time..

Edit: just dont get it at Northtowns- I have a bone to pick with them and their service team
You guys get power back at your place yet? My brother in CT is up to day 6 with no power. He's not a happy camper to say the least.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

Haven't dealt with the service team, but the guy we bought my wife's Santa Fe from was great. We got the damn thing at invoice.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Clock

Luckily we have a GM family member discount dealy, so that should help out nicely on top of the 0%. We'd like to keep that payment as low as possible in anticipation of purchasing The House.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:16 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
You guys get power back at your place yet? My brother in CT is up to day 6 with no power. He's not a happy camper to say the least.
We only lost power for about 1/2 a day. No phone, internet or TV though. We were part of the 1% with power on Sunday [insert your 'Occupy _______' comments here]. The power company (CL*P- or connecticut loss of power- [hg's reference]) has got my town up to a whopping 7% with.. lol.. Theres still at least 20 phone/cable lines down in the 1 mile block around my house. pretty crazy. I guess they havent really trimmed trees here in a long time so just 7 weeks after a tropical storm came through and decimated the tree population- they got hammered again. Many went 1+ week without power. This storm there was over 800K w/out power- i think its around 400K still. There was a goal of getting everyone in the state back on line by Sunday- midnight- I guess thats not going to happen. I thought I'd never live through something like that again. haha... There was less snow here for our CT 'October Surprise' but it was really windy that night and the snow was very, very heavy. .

Old
11-04-2011, 10:19 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Luckily we have a GM family member discount dealy, so that should help out nicely on top of the 0%. We'd like to keep that payment as low as possible in anticipation of purchasing The House.
I am guessing be your capitalization, this is the "dream house" and not a specific house?

Old
11-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I am guessing be your capitalization, this is the "dream house" and not a specific house?
Yup. We've been saving since before marriage for the dream house. We should be able to hit PMI in a few more years not counting what we make off our current home.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

PMI is the bane of my existence. Even using my brother's rent money to pay extra on the mortgage every month I still have a ways to go.

Unrelated, but awesome :

Old
11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Clock

Quote:
Yeah, we're probably about two years away from that, so now keeping payments low is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
PMI is the bane of my existence. Even using my brother's rent money to pay extra on the mortgage every month I still have a ways to go.
Seriously, screw PMI. I despise paying interest. I check my credit card balance daily and pay it off daily just to make sure I never pay a cent. Blech.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:42 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The only interest that I don't hate with a passion is my student loans and mortgage since they're deductible. I'm seriously delaying home projects just so I can hammer down credit cards.

Would have been slick if my ex had given me a red cent after I bought the house. THEN I would have been out of PMI already I think.

(Part of that is also uncertainty if my company will still be around in 24 months, but it's a good thing regardless.)

Old
11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Yeah, we're probably about two years away from that, so now keeping payments low is important.
Question... Then why buy a new vehicle? That is IMO such a waste of money, even with a GM discount, which I can get also. But compared to a payment on a vehicle that's 2-3 years old. It's not worth it as far as trying to keep payments low.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

I'm pretty sure we paid our PMI up front? My brain is fuzzy on the details at the moment.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Question... Then why buy a new vehicle? That is IMO such a waste of money, even with a GM discount, which I can get also. But compared to a payment on a vehicle that's 2-3 years old. It's not worth it as far as trying to keep payments low.
Yeah - it's mostly for warranty purposes and the fact that we can afford it pretty easily, as well as the superior financing. The payment consideration is strictly the icing on the cake as PK and I are both pretty financially conservative with stuff like this.

Now, when it comes time to buy that Z4 in a few years, THAT sucker will be used.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we paid our PMI up front? My brain is fuzzy on the details at the moment.
You didn't have to pay it at all if you put down 20% or over on your house (I think it's 20%, anyhow).

Old
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
That's an option. I didn't have the cash to do that when I bought my house, so I went with the monthly option.

Pretty sure at one point there were different tax implications between pre-pay and monthly, but that's PK's department. I just grumble about it now.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Now, when it comes time to buy that Z4 in a few years, THAT sucker will be used.
Not a fan of the Z4, but I was actually considering looking into a BMW just yesterday. I still have to convince my wife, if I choose to, that I should get a new car. Don't need, just want. Well, other reasons too.

Quote:
You didn't have to pay it at all if you put down 20% or over on your house (I think it's 20%, anyhow).
Yeah, we only put down 10%.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:10 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I thought it was strictly based on LTV.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Clock

Quote:
Not a fan of the Z4, but I was actually considering looking into a BMW just yesterday. I still have to convince my wife, if I choose to, that I should get a new car. Don't need, just want. Well, other reasons too.
You want to write that sucker off as a business expense, don't you. Heh.

I love the Z4 - little two seater go-cart to drive around on some of those awesome WNY summer days appeals to me greatly. Strictly a summer fun car that we'd probably keep for numerous years.

Pretty sure my next main car will be another new Altima, albeit fully-loaded. It's treated me very well so far. Fun to drive, not ridiculously pricey.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I thought it was strictly based on LTV.
Yup, though if you get the "right" price, it would be the same thing anyhow.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
From my own current experience, I think the used car market is absolutely idiotic at the moment. It's like everyone woke up one day and said "hey, let's be frugal and buy a used car." All it's done is drive used car prices through the roof, to the point where desirable used-car models are barely discounted.

I agree that used is usually the way to go, but in this market? I say buy new, take advantage of the financing deals, and drive the car for 10 years.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:

but that wasn't a choice .....

but, subaru >>>> chevy (IMO)

Old
11-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
You want to write that sucker off as a business expense, don't you. Heh.

I love the Z4 - little two seater go-cart to drive around on some of those awesome WNY summer days appeals to me greatly. Strictly a summer fun car that we'd probably keep for numerous years.

Pretty sure my next main car will be another new Altima, albeit fully-loaded. It's treated me very well so far. Fun to drive, not ridiculously pricey.
Build your own car Clock, its more satisfying that way:

http://www.lonestarclassics.com/index.cfm

Old
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
We had an imprezza wagon as a 2nd car. We loved it and I agree with all of your comments about it. Plus it past the test any car has to in our house... It can hold 3 hockey bags and the 3 kids that use them.

We sold it to our son when his car crapped out a few months ago and bought a 93' Honda Accord with 73k on it. Our main set of wheels is a Honda Pilot.

Quote:
I was just at their Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep parts department today. They had the custom nut I needed to attach the hard top of my Jeep Wrangler. I looked everywhere for them. I tried hardware stores first and then 5 dealerships, Northtowns being the 5th. Didn't think it would be that difficult to find. Gotta love dealerships....42 bucks for 4 of them.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We had an imprezza wagon as a 2nd car. We loved it and I agree with all of your comments about it. Plus it past the test any car has to in our house... It can hold 3 hockey bags and the the 3 kids that use them.

We sold it to our son when his car crapped out a few months ago and bought a 93' Honda Accord with 73k on it. Our main set of wheels is a Honda Pilot.
Definitely my favorite family hauler. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 EX-L with 36K miles for a touch under 25K. Close, but the thought of two car payments (still owe around 9K on the wife's A4) makes my stomach turn.

Oh well, I'll just keep plowing around in my 98 Blazer.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Definitely my favorite family hauler. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 EX-L with 36K miles for a touch under 25K. Close, but the thought of two car payments (still owe around 9K on the wife's A4) makes my stomach turn.

Oh well, I'll just keep plowing around in my 98 Blazer.
We love our Pilot as well. Bought it in 2008 (a 2004 with 24k on it) and we just paid it off this summer. We currently have no car payments. The Accord we paid cash for (2500). Going forward I'm doing everything I can to avoid car payments or minimize them if forced to borrow.

With the Pilot at 83k and the Accord at 75k, plus my for fun Jeep Wrangler (208k). Hopefully we can go for awhile without having to but another vehicle. Too many other expenses at the moment.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Build your own car Clock, its more satisfying that way:

http://www.lonestarclassics.com/index.cfm
Clock, there's also a warehouse in Texas with the remaining stash of DeLoreans (kitted in parts - seriously, I am not ******** you). Stainless steel - isn't rusting. You build one of those, I'll send you my flux capacitor I've been using to sterilize cats the past couple decades.

Closed Thread