HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff comments on Leino's situation and compares it to Briere when he arrived.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'm not contesting that. I'm contesting that the actual parallel itself is not fair. The only thing comparable, and the thing I think Ruff was trying to get at, was an initial adjustment period playing a new position with a new team.

He likened that to the last concrete time something like that has happened, which in his mind was DB.
I guess I see where you're coming from.

I just feel that Ruff knows the ins-and-outs. Perhaps he knows something that we don't, or maybe some misreporting was done.

I honestly don't recall Leino ever saying that he doesn't want to play center. I simply recall "I'm more comfortable on the wing" - or something to that degree (I could be wrong).

Leino's going to start producing. It's going to happen. Ruff's liked his compete level - I don't necessarily see this ending as poorly as some are suggesting.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

It's amazing how we can determine someone's character and personality from 3 or 4 sentences they mumbled when someone sticks a mic in their face.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
5 Minute Major

The fact of the matter is this guy averaged about half a point per game during his NHL career and the Sabres paid him like he was a much, much more productive player.

The Sabres, in my opinion, took a big gamble on him. Will they win that gamble? That remains to be seen.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:02 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The fact of the matter is this guy averaged about half a point per game during his NHL career and the Sabres paid him like he was a much, much more productive player.

The Sabres, in my opinion, took a big gamble on him. Will they win that gamble? That remains to be seen.
I think we will be happy if he finishes the season as a half-point per game center who is reliable and solid in all zones, and performs well in the post-season and allows his line-mates to have scoring opportunities. That will be 5x his current output.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Mid-$4 Million per season is the going rate on 50-point UFA players these days. They didn't pay him like a "much, much more productive player".

11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Mid-$4 Million per season is the going rate on 50-point UFA players these days. They didn't pay him like a "much, much more productive player".
For one season? Really?

Sorry, but dishing out a 27 million dollar deal to a player that had 53 points one time in his career is overpaying.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
jaeger

Quote:
For one season? Really?

Sorry, but dishing out a 27 million dollar deal to a player that had 53 points one time in his career is overpaying.
You overpaid for Leino, everyone knows that. What has that to do with this thread?

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
"there hasnít been a lot good going on."

yeah I noticed that too.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:43 AM
pjfanman

I know some Buffalo fans came onto the Leafs board criticizing the Leafs signing Connolly. Question is, who would you rather have, Connolly for 2 years at 4.75 or Leino for 6 years at 4.5? Even with concerns over Connolly's health, its a short term deal with minimal risk.

I understand that he may have not fit well in Ruff's system but he looks really good with Kessel and Lupul so far. Was he that much of a bum in Buffalo all those years?

pjfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfanman View Post
I know some Buffalo fans came onto the Leafs board criticizing the Leafs signing Connolly. Question is, who would you rather have, Connolly for 2 years at 4.75 or Leino for 6 years at 4.5? Even with concerns over Connolly's health, its a short term deal with minimal risk.

I understand that he may have not fit well in Ruff's system but he looks really good with Kessel and Lupul so far. Was he that much of a bum in Buffalo all those years?
Connolly wasn't an issue of system, it was an issue of lackadaisical commitment and years of being broken. Still glad he's gone.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

Connolly's deal is useless and Leino's is less tradeable. I choose option C , a bullet through my brain!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:58 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

Absolutely Leino. He's going to break into the system eventually. Connolly was in the system for years and just kind of stopped trying.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:32 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Absolutely Leino. He's going to break into the system eventually. Connolly was in the system for years and just kind of stopped trying.
You will see when the playoffs approach. Connolly wll be hurt, and Leino will be healthy.

I think we need a new coach. Also we need a # 1 center !

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Connolly wasn't an issue of system, it was an issue of lackadaisical commitment and years of being broken. Still glad he's gone.
Pretty much. Connolly wasn't working for us. Leino isn't yet either.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
number72

Connolly 4 points (1 goal 3 assist) in 4 games
Leino 2 points (1 goal 1 assist) in 11 games.

But Leino will catch up quickly when Connolly gets injured.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:14 AM
ct2111

Quote:

Neither (as a scoring center). I wanted him back as 3rd line center who adds scoring and center depth, but not for that price tag. Connolly wasn't working out in Buffalo and I don't feel they've lost anything (his PK maybe) replacing him with Luke Adam on the top line.

Connolly could put up 70+ points and Leino 40 points I'd still feel the same way. I'd hate Leino's signing, but still wouldn't want Connolly back. I'd rather have 62-points MacArthur back and I feel indifferent about them letting him go.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just a note on the PK -- the Sabres without Tiny's abilities are now first in the league at 92.5%

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote