HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mattias Ritola on waivers (Update: released - signed with MODO)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2011, 01:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

vCash: 500
Mattias Ritola on waivers (Update: released - signed with MODO)

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
Ritola (TB) and Kassian (MIN) on waivers today. PIT's Valabik clears waivers.
According to EE, he has until noon Thursday to clear and go to Norfolk.

It's not for Ohlund, he's still weeks away. My guess is it's either for Tyrell or Ashton.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Could also be for nobody, as we've got enough.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
Tyrell up?

Old
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Could also be for nobody, as we've got enough.
Yep, but Boucher was pretty mad last night. This could be a move to try and get us going again.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yep, but Boucher was pretty mad last night. This could be a move to try and get us going again.
They might also be doing a Tim Stapleton on him. Waive him, watch him clear, but don't demote him right away. The Jets still haven't sent him down.

I don't think they are, but it's a possibility as well.

IMO, there's no message being sent here. Who would recalling Tyrell or Ashton be sending a message to?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
They might also be doing a Tim Stapleton on him. Waive him, watch him clear, but don't demote him right away. The Jets still haven't sent him down.

I don't think they are, but it's a possibility as well.

IMO, there's no message being sent here. Who would recalling Tyrell or Ashton be sending a message to?
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...icanes/1199662

EE: "Obviously you talk about it.(being ready to play and battle) How much to do you have to just stop talking about it and they have to do it?"

Boucher: "I don't wait for things to change. We'll make them change."

This could be that change?

Old
11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Rschmitz

Doubt that a guy whos played in 4 games ~12 minutes a night is the source of Boucher's frustration. Apparently they had a pretty grueling practice this morning, thats probably part of it and I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the end of it.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
LightningStrikes

EE has a point:
Quote:
erlendssontrib Erik Erlendsson
Ultimately does no good to have Ritola play every 5th game RT @Southshore26 Was that expected? I know Guy said he'd shake it up but.....

erlendssontrib Erik Erlendsson
Not expecting a corresponding call-up, still have 13 fwds on roster RT @tundrafiremedic they should bring up tyrell loved his hustle
http://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib

I also don't think they'll call up Ashton. He's doing some serious damage in the AHL together with Conacher. Ashton was even named rookie of the month: http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/relea...y1.php?id=2340

Old
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Doubt that a guy whos played in 4 games ~12 minutes a night is the source of Boucher's frustration. Apparently they had a pretty grueling practice this morning, thats probably part of it and I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the end of it.
This is maybe the first time I've heard of Boucher using practice as a response to the previous night's game.

Based on Boucher's quotes I'm not thinking callup so much as trade, and I'm not seeing that as a fix in itself. The problem is intensity, and the implied threat of trade can be a motivator.

This isn't 'Marty, Vinny, Stammer, Moore, Thompson, Hall, Hedman, Brewer, and whoever else feels up to it' night. This is Intensity 4,920.

What sending down Ritola may do is make each player just a little bit more imporant, as they're not going to be swapped out for the Guy Boucher Pressbox Experience. They're either going to Norfolk, or Edmonton. The pressbox has been acting like a safety net, and safety nets aren't INTENSE.

Individual tactics are also more important than team ones, so giving the coaches a little more time with each player may be of benefit there.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
TBLbrian

I doubt they call anyone up. Ritola is an AHL scorer at best. Not offensive enough for top 6 not defensive enough for bottom 6. I just think he is the last cut

Old
11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
ultra63

Boucher said before the game he had to play him that night or "lose" him. I guess he lost him today

Old
11-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Sear91

Don't foresee him getting claimed.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
StammerHed2010

I understand that we have 13 forwards and we're probably not calling anyone up. Id really like to see Tyrell back though.

I thought one if the best things Tyrell did last year was to draw penalties and get us on the pp. this year he's not here and we're getting very few chances.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Filppula
Jurks

I'm a bit surprised Ritola hasn't made it. He's got the skill and size to be an effective 3rd line winger IMO. What do you think is holding him back?

Old
11-02-2011, 08:18 PM
IdealisticSniper

Not surprised or upset. The Ritola experiment has failed miserably unfortunately. If he makes it back to Norfolk I feel sorry for the rest of the AHL. Norfolk already has the best offense in the league, add in Ritola who is over a point per game player in the AHL and its just not fair.

I also dont think anyone gets called up at this point in time, but I dont doubt for a second Tyrell will be back here sometime in the future this season.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
I'm a bit surprised Ritola hasn't made it. He's got the skill and size to be an effective 3rd line winger IMO. What do you think is holding him back?
Pretty much the same reason as in Detroit. Really no open forward spot for him. He's been used as an extra forward that is scratched more than he is in the lineup. Ritola is the kind of player that needs to play often and with consistent linemates, he hasn't been able to get that due to other circumstances. He's got the tools and talent though.

If he clears though, Norfolk is going to be absolutely loaded.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Pretty much the same reason as in Detroit. Really no open forward spot for him. He's been used as an extra forward that is scratched more than he is in the lineup. Ritola is the kind of player that needs to play often and with consistent linemates, he hasn't been able to get that due to other circumstances. He's got the tools and talent though.

If he clears though, Norfolk is going to be absolutely loaded.
Yeah Norfolk is already a strong team offensively, and with Ritola, look out! On the downside they are already overcrowded and if they don't recall anyone it will be harder for guys like Palat and Panik to get playing time.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
snowden
Man is matter

I honestly don't think Ritola is an NHL player for us. Maybe for another team that can give him top minutes but he looks like a 4A player. When he gets his chances during games he can't ever finish. I'd also rather have Tyrell up here than Jones to reunite the DNA line, although the TNA line (with ol' Tom Pyatt) looks decent enough.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yeah Norfolk is already a strong team offensively, and with Ritola, look out! On the downside they are already overcrowded and if they don't recall anyone it will be harder for guys like Palat and Panik to get playing time.
That's the benefit of having an ECHL affiliate. Like in Orlando possibly.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Tokala

I know soemone in Buenos Aires that is happy today.

I don't see a need or reason to call anyone up from Norfolk. Just one less player scratched each night.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://twitter.com/#!/TBLightning
Quote:
Mattias Ritola has cleared waivers.
http://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:
Word is Mattias Ritola has cleared waivers, expected to be sent to @NorfolkAdmirals at some point but that may not be tonight

Old
11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
LightningStrikes

Now I understand the move: Chewy is on waivers.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:16 AM
caley

According to Bob McKenzie, Mattias Ritola is on $125 waivers which means the Lightning plan to release him. Any word why? Did he refuse to report to Norfolk? Heading back to Europe?

Old
11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
According to Bob McKenzie, Mattias Ritola is on $125 waivers which means the Lightning plan to release him. Any word why? Did he refuse to report to Norfolk? Heading back to Europe?
Probably

Old
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I figure he's going back to Europe. Norfolk is pretty jammed right now, and Ritola wasn't reassigned as soon as he cleared, which indicated to me that something was up. I was thinking during this time that it could be to find a team in Europe to take him, or even another AHL team. I did not see Norfolk in the cards for whatever reason, as he'd already be there.

The fact that they held onto him for as long as they did before waiving him, may have also been a sign that they didn't want to give up on him too early, as the alternative was probably Europe for some time, and not the AHL.

SFY also reportedly said something to Guy Boucher to the effect of 'use him or lose him.', which seems more in line with the current situation than just reassignment to the Admirals.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Closed Thread