HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Mattias Ritola on waivers (Update: released - signed with MODO)

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Just curious what the incentive is to release him from his contract. If he doesn't want to report and is being a baby I would let him rot until his contract is up.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Just curious what the incentive is to release him from his contract. If he doesn't want to report and is being a baby I would let him rot until his contract is up.
It isn't about him not wanting to report. We already have prospects sitting on the bench in Norfolk, we don't want another.

This is a case of Ritola not having a future with the team. He fell down the depth chart and is older than those he is trying to beat out for places.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Old
11-08-2011, 12:20 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:
Sounds like Ritola does not want to play in AHL and likely seeking chance to play in Europe, has 1 more year left on his deal
https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTimes
Quote:
Lightning's Mattias Ritola, sent to AHL Norfolk, says today, "I'm not going to report there." Given waivers, opportunity in Europe?

Old
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

It's interesting that he's been tweeting Dick Axelsson recently. Google's translation isn't helping that much, but what Axelsson did in 2009 (while with the Red Wings AHL affiliate Grand Rapids), was tell the coach (former Solar Bears head coach Curt Fraser) that he was going to return to Sweden.

The Wings suspended him.

Here's a story on it. http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...suspend_h.html

The Griffins 09-10 media guide has Axelsson listing Ritola as his best friend in hockey, while Ritola lists Axelsson, among others.

They've actually got a crap load in common.
Quote:
Axelsson
Personal: Lives in Stockholm, Sweden…Best friend in hockey is teammate Mattias Ritola…Hockey idol as
a youth was Peter Forsberg…Greatest influence on his career was his parents…Plans to coach hockey after
his playing career…Also speaks Swedish…Played soccer and floorball growing up…Once met Swedish soccer
star Zlatan Ibrahimovic…Favorite food is steak…Favorite music artist is Lars Winnerback…Favorite movie
is A Night at the Roxbury…Favorite TV show is Two and a Half Men…Favorite web site is aftonbladet.se…
Favorite sport to watch besides hockey is tennis…Enjoys tennis, cards and video games.
Quote:
Ritola
Personal: Lives in Borlange, Sweden…Best friends in hockey are teammates Dick Axelsson, Jakub Kindl and
Justin Abdelkader…Greatest hockey memory is being a part of the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup champions in
2008…Hockey idol as a youth was Peter Forsberg…Greatest influence on his career were his parents…Plans to
be a teacher after his playing career…Most exciting place he’s visited is Japan…Also speaks Swedish…Played
soccer and floorball growing up…Once met actor Matt LeBlanc and Swedish soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic…
Favorite food is steak…Favorite music artists are Lars Winnerback and Stiko Per Larsson…Favorite movie is A
Night at the Roxbury…Favorite TV show is Two and a Half Men…Favorite web site is youtube.com…Favorite
author is Dan Brown…Favorite vacation spot is Greece…Roots for the Michigan Wolverines…Favorite sport
to watch besides hockey is tennis…Enjoys tennis and playing guitar.
He plays guitar? ****, we could have used him to help Downie.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-08-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
This is maybe the first time I've heard of Boucher using practice as a response to the previous night's game.

Based on Boucher's quotes I'm not thinking callup so much as trade, and I'm not seeing that as a fix in itself. The problem is intensity, and the implied threat of trade can be a motivator.

This isn't 'Marty, Vinny, Stammer, Moore, Thompson, Hall, Hedman, Brewer, and whoever else feels up to it' night. This is Intensity 4,920.

What sending down Ritola may do is make each player just a little bit more imporant, as they're not going to be swapped out for the Guy Boucher Pressbox Experience. They're either going to Norfolk, or Edmonton. The pressbox has been acting like a safety net, and safety nets aren't INTENSE.

Individual tactics are also more important than team ones, so giving the coaches a little more time with each player may be of benefit there.

Sorry, just skimming through NHL news. Completely agree with that.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Mattias Ritola on his time with Lightning. "I appreciate everything they've done for me." He will play in Europe "to get back to the NHL."
http://twitter.com/#!/LightningTimes...98671032369152

Y'know Mattias, there's another way to play your way back into the NHL.

Who are these overage players that everyone thinks are playing in Europe, and going straight into the NHL? As free agents no less? Outside of expansion, headcases, or an established, high-profile, player returning (Jagr, Forsberg, etc.), it just doesn't happen.

Anton But said 'no' to the prospect of playing for the Lightning's minor league team, and do you know what happened? He's still in Russia. In cryo-stasis, waiting for Dudley to unfreeze him...

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-08-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Is there anyway we could of held onto his rights rights while he plays in Europe like we did with Vrbata or no because that was Radim's request to be waived for personal reasons?

Old
11-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Is there anyway we could of held onto his rights rights while he plays in Europe like we did with Vrbata or no because that was Radim's request to be waived for personal reasons?
I think we could have, but maybe Ritola didn't give SFY any other option. Unlike Vrbata's situation, where it came as a request, and would have gone wherever the team assigned him. It's looking like Ritola is choosing not to report to Norfolk, and so I say '**** that guy'.

There's also perhaps some lingering issues with SFY and Dick Axelsson, since they were both in the Red Wings organization at the time. It could be something as tepid as not wanting to do the same thing Ken Holland did when he suspended Axelsson, but it could also be that he disagreed, or came to disagree, with such a light course of action.

SFY may have long ago made up his mind about what to do if Ritola wouldn't report, and is following through.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
It isn't about him not wanting to report. We already have prospects sitting on the bench in Norfolk, we don't want another.

This is a case of Ritola not having a future with the team. He fell down the depth chart and is older than those he is trying to beat out for places.
This post looks a bit silly now, haha.

I couldn't care less about him being released and I'm pretty sure he'll never amount to anything NHL-wise ever. Just another forgettable player. Harsh, I know.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Man, he was just here long enough to go trick-or-treating, and then decides to take off?

Jerk.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Meh no loss, we got more exciting players coming! Better to keep players who really wanna work for it!

11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

It occurred to me that with all the Sweden/Red Wing connections, if somebody got blacklisted over there, they'd basically have to move to Norway.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
What's the incentive in wasting one of the fifty contract spots that could go to a prospect or a FA? If he wants to go back to Europe and has no future with the club then release him. I see no upside in being bitter about a guy who doesn't want to go to Norfolk. If he has something lined up in Sweden and can be closer to home good for him. Works out for him and works out in Norfolk for our prospects not losing any ice time to him.

Old
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
What's the incentive in wasting one of the fifty contract spots that could go to a prospect or a FA? If he wants to go back to Europe and has no future with the club then release him. I see no upside in being bitter about a guy who doesn't want to go to Norfolk. If he has something lined up in Sweden and can be closer to home good for him. Works out for him and works out in Norfolk for our prospects not losing any ice time to him.
Not sure the contract spots matter at this point in time. If they did become an issue and we needed a spot they could always release him then.

Sorry but when someone signs a contract, they should have to uphold it, whether they get the good part of it or the bad. He signed the contract knowing the AHL was an option. Now they assign him there and he wont go? No dice. Id suspend him and hold onto that contract until it expires.

I have no sympathy for whiny babies, let alone ones that get paid 6 figures plus to play a sport.

Old
11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Not sure the contract spots matter at this point in time. If they did become an issue and we needed a spot they could always release him then.

Sorry but when someone signs a contract, they should have to uphold it, whether they get the good part of it or the bad. He signed the contract knowing the AHL was an option. Now they assign him there and he wont go? No dice. Id suspend him and hold onto that contract until it expires.

I have no sympathy for whiny babies, let alone ones that get paid 6 figures plus to play a sport.
If he were RFA, would you qualify him?

Old
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
If he were RFA, would you qualify him?
Probably not. I would just make him rot while the contract he actually signed himself went through.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:28 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Probably not. I would just make him rot while the contract he actually signed himself went through.
It's a waste for us and not worth the trouble. If he goes to Norfolk with a bad attitude and doesn't want to be a part of our organization it will hurt the kids down there that actually do care. Nobody wins. It sucks that this happens and that it happens more than it should in the NHL today. It's unfortunate they all can't be good soldiers like Blair Jones or Matt Smaby, but it's probably for the best if he goes.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 11-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 08:56 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
It's a waste for us and not worth the trouble. If he goes to Norfolk with a bad attitude and doesn't want to be a part of our organization it will hurt the kids down there that actually do care. Nobody wins. It sucks that this happens and that it happens more than it should in the NHL today. It's unfortunate they all can't be good soldiers like Blair Jones or Matt Smaby, but it's probably for the best if he goes.
Youre missing a step though. The second he said "No, I wont report", you suspend him and boom he can rot for a year and a half. End of story and not a second thought needed.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
chasespace

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13906633.ab

Old
11-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
I agree, but apparently Yzerman needs to be pissed at Ritola for not honoring the contract that Yzerman didn't sign him to.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I agree, but apparently Yzerman needs to be pissed at Ritola for not honoring the contract that Yzerman didn't sign him to.
Its just principle. Its not like its unheard of. The Isles did it to Nabokov last year after his tantrum.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:20 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Youre missing a step though. The second he said "No, I wont report", you suspend him and boom he can rot for a year and a half. End of story and not a second thought needed.
I understand what you're saying. I'd love to say "that's too damn bad, but your welcome to dig your own grave." It's really irritating too after Yzerman pretty much stopped Ritola who was all ready to give up and retire after his ear problems were getting bad. But for a year and a half, that's too long. I'm sure we'd be hearing it by some in the media, even though we'd be doing nothing wrong. The Yzerman effect is in full force and we've looked very respectful, and this is just Yzerman continuing to do that. Our image we've had here since Vinik and Yzerman took over will continue to look good, and Ritola can leave looking like the kid. I'm pretty sure too if they told him too bad and forced him to stay in Norfolk, it would be cancerous to our kids. We know he clearly doesn't want to be here and it's important to only have those who want to be here.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. I'd love to say "that's too damn bad, but your welcome to dig your own grave." It's really irritating too after Yzerman pretty much stopped Ritola who was all ready to give up and retire after his ear problems were getting bad. But for a year and a half, that's too long. I'm sure we'd be hearing it by some in the media, even though we'd be doing nothing wrong. The Yzerman effect is in full force and we've looked very respectful, and this is just Yzerman continuing to do that. Our image we've had here since Vinik and Yzerman took over will continue to look good, and Ritola can leave looking like the kid. I'm pretty sure too if they told him too bad and forced him to stay in Norfolk, it would be cancerous to our kids. We know he clearly doesn't want to be here and it's important to only have those who want to be here.
I agree with everything you said. Like I said its just principle to me. I hate people who dont hold up their end in a bargain when its not all roses and peaches.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:45 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
He was probably told that there is no room for him in the organization anymore. He couldn't establish himself in the NHL, guys like Connolly, Ashton or even Conacher out-competed him earlier than expected, plus we have Shannon, Jones and Tyrell ahead of him, too. Meanwhile Norfolk is stacked so there isn't really a reason to threaten him with a suspension. Let him go back to Europe, win/win for both parties.

Closed Thread