HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino update

Old
11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Jbiz07

vCash: 500
Nino update

What's the latest on the isles Nino playing for them any time soon?

Jbiz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbiz07 View Post
What's the latest on the isles Nino playing for them any time soon?
He was practicing with the team last week. He is currently on the 23 man roster, but he's on loan to Isles AHL affiliate (Bridgeport Soundtigers) for a conditioning stint. He played this afternoon & hit the crossbar twice.

According to the rules, he's only able to stay in Bridgeport for 2 weeks. So as long as he doesn't reinjure himself, he'll be up with the club sometime between tomorrow (highly unlikely) & 2 weeks from today (far more likely).

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:33 AM
jonas2244

According to the Swiss newspaper Südostschweiz the Islanders guaranteed Nino a place on the NHL-roster and won't send him down to Portland.

http://www.suedostschweiz.ch/sport/n...york-islanders

I wouldn't call that a definitive decision and I'm also not sure if it's really true. Even if it'd be true I'd be very surprised if Nino would be allowed to tell that the press.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:46 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
According to the Swiss newspaper Südostschweiz the Islanders guaranteed Nino a place on the NHL-roster and won't send him down to Portland.

http://www.suedostschweiz.ch/sport/n...york-islanders

I wouldn't call that a definitive decision and I'm also not sure if it's really true. Even if it'd be true I'd be very surprised if Nino would be allowed to tell that the press.
"nino, because your ELC gives you a very high cap hit and a very low salary, we can guarantee you a spot on the roster regardless of how you play. PS. please don't tell any of the 12 beat writers that cover the NYI in north america. that is all"

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:12 PM
jonas2244

He already left the hotel and now lives together with Mark Streit. It seems correct.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:02 PM
thedonger

"NY Islanders...ruining prospect's careers since '93"

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Another top 10 pick, another rush job by the Isles. When will they learn

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
drive45

CH news article

... and "Der jüngste «Isles»-Stürmer" just sounds so bad-ass!

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I dont think Nino is rushed.. He is ready for the NHL. He proved he can play in the world stage and he dominated the WHL. Sending him back to Portland would be counter productive. Its time for the boy to run with the wolves and see what he can do. Its his job to lose...

I dont buy into the Bailey rush job nonsense.. he has crap to play with and the team wont spend. Other then that he has shown little desire to step up and take command on his own. So maybe he just isnt that good to begin with.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I dont think Nino is rushed.. He is ready for the NHL. He proved he can play in the world stage and he dominated the WHL. Sending him back to Portland would be counter productive. Its time for the boy to run with the wolves and see what he can do. Its his job to lose...

I dont buy into the Bailey rush job nonsense.. he has crap to play with and the team wont spend. Other then that he has shown little desire to step up and take command on his own. So maybe he just isnt that good to begin with.
He did not dominate the WHL, he had a great year but was still only 4th on his team in points. He has room to grow in the WHL. The NHL is not a job your handed (unless you have a high draft number next your name and picked by the Isles) you earn it. Nino has not earned anything yet, but we all know he will be here in a week or so

Old
11-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Agreed. Nino is a power forward not unlike Todd Bertuzzi. Those types of players typically take a while to fully develop. He should be back in the WHL this year & then spend at least half a season in the AHL next year.

I realize I've made a thread talking about the lines & where Nino fits. But that's just because I know he's going to be here. I don't think he should be here.

With that said, his physical presence will be welcome.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
He did not dominate the WHL, he had a great year but was still only 4th on his team in points. He has room to grow in the WHL. The NHL is not a job your handed (unless you have a high draft number next your name and picked by the Isles) you earn it. Nino has not earned anything yet, but we all know he will be here in a week or so
Actually you earn being an NHL player by being a high # draft pick. They select you because you are ready to help the team. Nino put up great numbers for the Winterhawks and him being in Portland for another year would only make him lose interest. Id like to see him in Bridgeport for a half a year but the rules dont apply. I think Nino is ready for the NHL and next year Ryan Strome will be starting as well

What Garth needs to do is sign some players to ease the pressure but thats a different thread were all talking about now.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Actually you earn being an NHL player by being a high # draft pick. They select you because you are ready to help the team. Nino put up great numbers for the Winterhawks and him being in Portland for another year would only make him lose interest. Id like to see him in Bridgeport for a half a year but the rules dont apply. I think Nino is ready for the NHL and next year Ryan Strome will be starting as well

What Garth needs to do is sign some players to ease the pressure but thats a different thread were all talking about now.
If he "lost interest" than he would be a failure. Great/good players never lose interest its the Rob Schremps of the game that lose interest. His stats got him his high draft #. His on ice play from this point in his what earns him a shot at the NHL. Why bring a 19 year old coming of a groin injury who has more to prove in juniors to a sinking ship. He has plenty to learn in the WHL

I hate using the Detroit model and I know they pick in the back end end of the first round ( wonder why?) but they never let guys play in the NHL until they are 22-23 and have earned it. Same could be said about Vancouver and the Penguins lately. Teams that rush players like Columbus, Florida, and the Isles are in a forever "re-build" and rushing guys is a major contributing factor.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:

If Nino was going to play with BETTER NHL players I'd agree with you. But on this team, he might be asked to elevate the play of others.....which is unfair.

Nino will play his 10th NHL game when he suits up for the first time this season. What can we really expect from this kid?

It's not like he's being brought into a winning environment.

I'm starting to like Portland for him.

Side note: I saw Ryan Johansen play 2-3 times for Columbus, he also doesn't look ready. But they have Nash, Carter, Vermette, Prospal, Umberger - he won't be the guy everyone is looking to - that should help him. But CBJ should have sent him back to Portland.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Chardo

^ Nino would be playing with Tavares and Moulson. That's pretty good talent.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:31 PM
ferrisUML

While I do think he's ready, the fact that this team's problems are deeper than any one player and that he's missed almost ten games now make me want to send him back. I kinda concur with redbull on Johansen too, although he's picked it up as of late and dones't look as bad as he did earlier in the year.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:31 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
^ Nino would be playing with Tavares and Moulson. That's pretty good talent.
Moulson is terrible.

Old
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
While I do think he's ready, the fact that this team's problems are deeper than any one player and that he's missed almost ten games now make me want to send him back. I kinda concur with redbull on Johansen too, although he's picked it up as of late and dones't look as bad as he did earlier in the year.
Im revising my statement. Although its off topic, I disagree that Johansen should've been sent back. He just needed/needs time to get used to the speed and flow of an NHL game, similar to Stamkos and many, many others. Im sure Nino would be fine too, but I just feel a fresh start without injury and not being behind the eight ball would be beneficial for Nino.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:11 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:

+1 all of this

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
WRONG.

He did lead his team. When you take the numbers of games played, Nino scored the most goals per game on his team. (and I think most or 2nd most in the entire WHL).

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
WRONG.

He did lead his team. When you take the numbers of games played, Nino scored the most goals per game on his team. (and I think most or 2nd most in the entire WHL).
So if he led his team in goals he can try to become a better playmaker, a 19 year old will always have room to improve, the NHL should not be the developmental league.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
So if he led his team in goals he can try to become a better playmaker, a 19 year old will always have room to improve, the NHL should not be the developmental league.
How old do you expect top picks to come into the league? They all start 18-19-20 range. If your selected in the top 10 you are a blue chip prospect with the purpose of helping the team now. Look at Ryan Nugent Hopkins he is half the size of Nino and he is producing great for the Oilers. Nino is more then ready to come into the league and help this team.

Also as of tonight's game in Bridgeport he is a +2 with an assist

Old
11-06-2011, 01:04 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Nino would be up this year on almost any team in the NHL. But they did rush Bailey even Okposo.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Moulson is terrible.
Ah yes. Because 2 consecutive 30 goal seasons is terrible.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Renbarg

I wonder if they'll let him play the full two weeks or send him with the team out west.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote