HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

What is the argument for MacKinnon over Barkov?

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Ruston*

vCash: 500
What is the argument for MacKinnon over Barkov?

Enlighten me.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Better skater, as far as I know at least. I think the biggest thing might be the exposure. Switch MacKinnon to the SM-Liiga and Barkov to Halifax and I honestly believe there's a decent chance their draft positions get switched as well.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
HooliganX2

MacKinnon is a much better/faster skater. He's the more explosive player. Also MacKinnon is a much better known more watched ect so he holds lower risk in general. The CHL plays a closer style to the NHL then the Finnish league.

Barkov could end up the better player but IMO has more risk factor. They could have comparable ceilings as well.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY YY better skater.

MacKinnon is one of the 5 fastest players in the draft. Barkov is probably one of the 5 slowest. Not even an exaggeration.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Skating is in a different stratosphere quite honestly. His acceleration is almost a generational talent.

I just think he has the higher offensive upside. Both will be elite players in the NHL IMO.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Mackinnon is on another level in terms of skating. Barkov needs to work on his, where as Mac literally has the best skating skills we've seen in awhile. In terms of acceleration, speed, overall skating ability etc. he's as good as we've seen from a top prospect IMO. I remember watching a vid awhile back and I'm almost positive a scout said it was the best he's seen since Bure.

That's what sets them apart for me. Barkov has the size but in his own words doesn't play like he's 6'3, which is awesome he realizes he needs to work on that. Barkov is obviously better defensively playing against men as well. I think Mac has a better shot and hands and Barkov has the better hockey sense but Mackinnon is close, and Drouin is the best in that regard.

Not saying it's a huge gap, I personally wanted Mackinnon/Drouin over him. I think the playing with men thing gets overblown, seen it with Grandlund. NHL is a different league and no matter where your coming from there will be a big transition.

I've seen waaaaaaaaay more of Mackinnon tho, so basically going on whatever is out there on Barkov/what scouts have talked about/other opinions leading up to the draft etc.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Ruston*

So skating is Mac's advantage? At 3 inches shorter and 23 pounds lighter, I'd hope so.

Anything else?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Tomas W

History; Canadian top picks seldom dissapoint, most "cream of the crop" canadians become stars, while the best Finnish prospects do not always make it that far.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
The obvious one is that MacKinnon has elite skating. Some scouts describe his first three steps as the most explosive they've seen.

Avs seem to like MacKinnons compete level, ability to handle pressure and ability to perform in big games. Intangibles, but very important ones.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM

IMO its like Stamkos vs Kopitar.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
gudzilla

a lot of the finnish users have said that barkov was an excellent skater before his growth spurt. he might still grow an inch or so. someone on the florida board posted an image, this is barkov in the summer '12, 16 years old. the guy next to him is nieminen at 6'1 200lbs

its hard for fans to compare CHL #s to SM-liiga, however, skating gets you far in this league

however, i think that barkov might turn out to be a big, 2-way center la mats sundin almost

Old
07-02-2013, 06:35 AM
BobDobolina

More physical. In terms of truculence, pugnacity and all that.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:36 AM
2016cupwinners

2 inches, not three, 6'0.5 vs 6'2.5. http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...s-and-weights/

Mac is the better skater, has the better shot, has a higher energy level, tends to score hattricks in important games. Barkov is a heck of a player too though.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
however, i think that barkov might turn out to be a big, 2-way center la mats sundin almost
That's who he reminds me of. It looks like he's not skating around hard and sometimes gliding around but that's because he sees the game so well that he finds open ice that way.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Ruston*

So now Barkov is inferior to Mackinnon in:

Shot.
Hands.
Toughness.
Skating.
Compete level.

Anyone want to add more to this list?

Anyone want to refute any of these?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:56 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
Shot.
Hands.
Toughness.
Skating.
Compete level.

Hands and compete level. Barkov has extremely good hands and plays a very advanced two way game, winning hell of a lot of board battles and faceoffs against pro players. Smaller and shiftier players always seem like they are working harder but this isn't necessarily the case.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:59 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Hands and compete level. Barkov has extremely good hands and plays a very advanced two way game, winning hell of a lot of board battles and faceoffs against pro players. Smaller and shiftier players always seem like they are working harder but this isn't necessarily the case.
you can also add that he's drafted to florida "relocate them" panthers, that he's not canadian, his 2way game is so praised because he's not good offensively, doesn't show emotions

i can probably come up with more

Old
07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
So now Barkov is inferior to Mackinnon in:

Shot.
Hands.
Toughness.
Skating.
Compete level.

Anyone want to add more to this list?

I'm not sure why you would use the word "inferior". It seems you want to create a situation where you feel that people disrespect Barkov, while in reality most think Barkov will be a phenomenal player.

From what I understand there is nothing wrong with Barkovs hands, shot, toughness and compete level. They're all supposed to be excellent.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Ruston*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm not sure why you would use the word "inferior". It seems you want to create a situation where you feel that people disrespect Barkov, while in reality most think Barkov will be a phenomenal player.

From what I understand there is nothing wrong with Barkovs hands, shot, toughness and compete level. They're all supposed to be excellent.
I'm asking a question: What is the argument for MacKinnon over Barkov?

Trying to put together a list based on the responses.

If you want to read into my wording, that's your issue.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:22 AM
AcrossThePond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

This.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Hagged

Shot and skating is what Mackinnon has over Barkov. The others are debatable. Also I think that Barkov might have a tougher transition to NHL despite his transition to pro at age of 16.

Those that think Barkov was a reach at #2 haven't thought it through though. Barkov deserved to be picked high.

Those that think Barkov is in the bottom 5 in skating in this draft class don't know what they are talking about. He is well above average.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Depch

Considering Europeans there is always questions about transition to NHL, for that reason alone MacKinnon is the safer elite pick.

When it comes to skill and effectiviness in play, considering all categories Barkov if makes the transition well has tools to be better than MacKinnon (Mac will likely get more points especially during regular season). In playoffs especially you want a guy like Barkov, if he makes the transition easy. Size alone makes it very likely, but there is always the questionmark.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:06 AM
CptPicard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Shot and skating is what Mackinnon has over Barkov. The others are debatable. Also I think that Barkov might have a tougher transition to NHL despite his transition to pro at age of 16.

Those that think Barkov was a reach at #2 haven't thought it through though. Barkov deserved to be picked high.

Those that think Barkov is in the bottom 5 in skating in this draft class don't know what they are talking about. He is well above average.
True. NA leagues are a little closer to NHL than what Finnish leagues are and that "playing against adults" is kind of crap. Finnish league was a quality league back in 90's but nowadays I think its players are mostly either too good for Mestis (Finnish league's "AHL") or too weak for KHL.

Barkov will be one of the great players in NHL one day but in his first year he won't be an impact guy.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
True. NA leagues are a little closer to NHL than what Finnish leagues are and that "playing against adults" is kind of crap. Finnish league was a quality league back in 90's but nowadays I think its players are mostly either too good for Mestis (Finnish league's "AHL") or too weak for KHL.
Well this was a lockout year though and the quality of the league was enhanced through most of the season.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Ruston*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post

Barkov will be one of the great players in NHL one day but in his first year he won't be an impact guy.
Familiar with Florida's depth chart down the middle? Barkov will be 1C. Won't make an impact? Aside Huberdeau? I beg to differ.

Closed Thread