HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why Carey over Hasek in '96?

Old
03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Osgood beat Carey in every stat except shutouts that year.

39-6-5, 2.17, .911, 5 Shutouts

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
whatname

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
it gets especially confusing because carey was traded to the bruins the year after lacher played himself out of the league.

as i recall, lacher was the early calder favourite during the lockout year. lacher started the year 9-2-2, with two shutouts. then he was roughly .500 the rest of the way, with two more shutouts. by the end of the year, carey, who didn't play a single game until after lacher's hot first month and a half, had passed him. four shutouts of his own, and an 18-6-3 record. carey's emergence coincided with washington turning its season around and making the playoffs. forsberg won the rookie of the year though (carey second, kariya third).

weird that in '95 washington had three young goalies, and all three would become vezina candidates/postseason all-stars. the fourth string guy from '95, byron dafoe, ended up taking carey's starting job in boston in '98 and was a second team all-star in '99. kolzig would go on to become the all-time leader in capitals wins. but carey, who was the youngest one of the three, was already gone by the time dafoe and kolzig even became legitimate NHL starters.
Dafoe...another good goalie for a short time period. I remember having him on my fantasy team, disappointed me big time.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Osgood beat Carey in every stat except shutouts that year.

39-6-5, 2.17, .911, 5 Shutouts
I think the voters realized that a monkey could have tended net for Detroit that year. Osgood was voted as high as he was for two reasons: One, it was a weak year for goalies. Two, his numbers were so good he HAD to get votes for them alone. I don't think he was even considered a top 10 goalie in the world at that time. 1996 World Cup and there was crickets when it came to selecting him. So he really wasn't central to winning on that team

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Whenever a player wins an award a couple of times consecutively, and seems the logical choice to keep on winning it, voters often look for reasons to not give it to him. Hasek, while still the league's best, wasn't quite as good as the previous two seasons, while Carey played a lot of games and got a lot of shutouts. That was all the reason they needed.

Since the Vezina is a "best" award (rather than a more nebulous "most valuable" award), there was no excuse giving it to Carey. But he was new and shiny, so there you go.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:28 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
it gets especially confusing because carey was traded to the bruins the year after lacher played himself out of the league.

as i recall, lacher was the early calder favourite during the lockout year. lacher started the year 9-2-2, with two shutouts. then he was roughly .500 the rest of the way, with two more shutouts. by the end of the year, carey, who didn't play a single game until after lacher's hot first month and a half, had passed him. four shutouts of his own, and an 18-6-3 record. carey's emergence coincided with washington turning its season around and making the playoffs. forsberg won the rookie of the year though (carey second, kariya third).

weird that in '95 washington had three young goalies, and all three would become vezina candidates/postseason all-stars. the fourth string guy from '95, byron dafoe, ended up taking carey's starting job in boston in '98 and was a second team all-star in '99. kolzig would go on to become the all-time leader in capitals wins. but carey, who was the youngest one of the three, was already gone by the time dafoe and kolzig even became legitimate NHL starters.
Pretty neat stuff, which reminds me of a failed prediction I made a good 10 years ago regarding the Dallas goalie pipeline. Definitely thought something similar would happen there when they had Turco, Mike Smith, Dan Ellis, and Bacashihua. Only Turco really became a star (though Smith is having an excellent year), but Smith and Ellis both became successful NHLers...not quite the same as those Caps goalies though.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think the voters realized that a monkey could have tended net for Detroit that year. Osgood was voted as high as he was for two reasons: One, it was a weak year for goalies. Two, his numbers were so good he HAD to get votes for them alone. I don't think he was even considered a top 10 goalie in the world at that time. 1996 World Cup and there was crickets when it came to selecting him. So he really wasn't central to winning on that team
Just highlighting the overall weakness of the viable candidates that season.

Guys like Fhur and Hextall were also candidates, despite being long past their better days.

At the end of the day, I think my personal choice that season was Brodeur, but he was hardly aweinspiring either.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

Would you care to elaborate? We are talking mid-90s Caps? Other than Gonchar, I can't remember anybody on that D-corps worth mentioning.
that's funny, because despite point totals he was their #5 defenseman back then.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote