HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jurco

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
  #1
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,826
vCash: 500
Jurco

Hes riding a 10(?) game point streak now in the Q. His consistency was always questioned but now that he has top line duties he has beent earing the Q up.

Hes on a good line with Phillips and Huberdeau which helps, but the consistency is starting to show. Sometimes it seems like maybe with his skill set being stuck down on the second line hurt his draft stock last year.

What other reasons were there for him slipping besides consistency? the skill set is there, hes big and pretty good 2 way player. I wasnt sure about him at first but Im slowly starting to love this kid as a prospect.

ps Check this apple at the 32 second mark

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
  #2
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
You sort of answered your own question. Consistency. Has a much higher ceiling than a lot of the 1st rounders drafted ahead of him though.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
  #3
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,158
vCash: 500
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
  #4
GM17*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know much about the Saint John Sea Dogs. He'd be a first line RW on almost any other team in the country.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
  #5
DetroitWhat
Registered User
 
DetroitWhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.
He's big and incredibly talented. He's averaging 1.4 points per game after a relatively slow start. He was drafted in the 2nd round, obviously people will assume its a good pick.

DetroitWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
  #6
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.
The Sea Dogs are crazy stacked, he's 4th in scoring on the team, and 2 of the 3 players ahead of him are 1st round picks (including 3rd overall pick Jonathan Huberdeau). Plus he's only played 13 of the Sea Dogs 19 games so far, don't see why you're complaining about 8 goals, 18 points in 13 games, those are nice numbers.

Also, Detroit have a nice record in terms of identifying and developing highly skilled players who dropped in the draft because they haven't put it all together yet. People would probably be less optimistic about his future if he'd been drafted by a team like Columbus, Phoenix or Florida, but with a team like Detroit there's a good chance they'll (eventually) get the most out of his talent.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
  #7
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Sea Dogs are crazy stacked, he's 4th in scoring on the team, and 2 of the 3 players ahead of him are 1st round picks (including 3rd overall pick Jonathan Huberdeau). Plus he's only played 13 of the Sea Dogs 19 games so far, don't see why you're complaining about 8 goals, 18 points in 13 games, those are nice numbers.

Also, Detroit have a nice record in terms of identifying and developing highly skilled players who dropped in the draft because they haven't put it all together yet. People would probably be less optimistic about his future if he'd been drafted by a team like Columbus, Phoenix or Florida, but with a team like Detroit there's a good chance they'll (eventually) get the most out of his talent.
Not really complaining... just observing.

Supposedly now Jurco is on a line with Huberdeau and is putting up these great numbers. Zach Phillips gets called a "product of Huberdeau" all the time. Phillips still puts up insanely good numbers. Yet, I still see it all the time. Phillips isn't considered as good of a prospect because he plays with him.

Now that Jurco is playing with both of them and putting up good numbers it is because he is amazing and has found his stride, not because he is a product of Huberdeau. Seems like a double standard here. Phillips puts up better numbers than Jurco whether Jurco is with them or not.

Jurco was 6th on the team in points last year. Behind Steven Anthony, Stanislav Galiev, Michael Kirkpatrick, Zack Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau. Obviously only 3 players are on the 1st line so I fail to see how Jurco being on the 2nd is an excuse for his numbers.

Basically, with how great Jurco is supposed to be, I figured he should be putting up great numbers regardless of who he plays with. Relative to his teammates, he isn't that outstanding of a player(right now). Meh, I'm sure people who watch him every game know more. He has been improving his numbers this season, so hopefully he keeps it up.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
  #8
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Skill level is off the charts, will give you the highlight reel plays and played big when it mattered for st john last year. The times I've seen him live I thought he was better than phillips.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
  #9
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Hes flashy. I like.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:23 PM
  #10
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
He had 2 assists tonight meaning he's now on an 11 game point streak. In 14 games this season he has 8+12 and he's a +16. He's only gone pointless in one game this season, and given consistency has been his biggest flaw, it's a very impressive start. Last 6 games 4+8=12.

I love his combination of size and skill.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:07 AM
  #11
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?
There are lot of examples, that a good productive guy in NHL wasnt in junior a point freak.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  #12
GM17*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Not really complaining... just observing.

Supposedly now Jurco is on a line with Huberdeau and is putting up these great numbers. Zach Phillips gets called a "product of Huberdeau" all the time. Phillips still puts up insanely good numbers. Yet, I still see it all the time. Phillips isn't considered as good of a prospect because he plays with him.

Now that Jurco is playing with both of them and putting up good numbers it is because he is amazing and has found his stride, not because he is a product of Huberdeau. Seems like a double standard here. Phillips puts up better numbers than Jurco whether Jurco is with them or not.

Jurco was 6th on the team in points last year. Behind Steven Anthony, Stanislav Galiev, Michael Kirkpatrick, Zack Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau. Obviously only 3 players are on the 1st line so I fail to see how Jurco being on the 2nd is an excuse for his numbers.

Basically, with how great Jurco is supposed to be, I figured he should be putting up great numbers regardless of who he plays with. Relative to his teammates, he isn't that outstanding of a player(right now). Meh, I'm sure people who watch him every game know more. He has been improving his numbers this season, so hopefully he keeps it up.
Taking into account everything he does off the puck, he's truly a well rounded brilliant player.

I don't know why he's inconsistent, but he is. It's not for lack of trying. See Kovalchuk. He's SO streaky and is always trying 100%.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
  #13
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Jurco is quietly having a very, very solid season. He's well on track to easily surpass his previous career high point totals. In 20 games this season, Jurco has a point in all but 2 of them, and he has 9 multi-point games. He's got 29 points all up.

He's got such amazing skill, and he has good size. The Wings compared him to Hossa (obviously would love to have him turn out even half as good), and I can certainly see why. He's got that type of potential.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
  #14
Future
Registered User
 
Future's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Jurco is quietly having a very, very solid season. He's well on track to easily surpass his previous career high point totals. In 20 games this season, Jurco has a point in all but 2 of them, and he has 9 multi-point games. He's got 29 points all up.

He's got such amazing skill, and he has good size. The Wings compared him to Hossa (obviously would love to have him turn out even half as good), and I can certainly see why. He's got that type of potential.
I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:41 PM
  #15
kuick
Tatar Sauce
 
kuick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Country: United States
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.
When will people understand that when comparing prospects to NHLers, majority of the time they are referring to STYLE OF PLAY, not level of play or ceiling.

I remember around the time of the draft, Jurco kept talking about proving he is more than just a YouTube sensation, and he's done just that. Really well rounded, good player in all zones.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
  #16
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,826
vCash: 500
2 apples tonight.

Even with Huberdeau out hurt he is thriving which is good to see

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
  #17
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.
Yes, I said those exact words.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:08 AM
  #18
Scoutguy77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Watched him play last night and probably 45 times the last two years. In a nutshell, very talented but refuses to compete. Will NOT take a hit to make a play, never seen it in 3 years.
But if he turns it around has skill to be a top 6 producing guy, so just have to be patient and see

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:38 PM
  #19
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.
Really sticking your neck out on this one aren't you. Even Jurco's mother would probably say the same thing.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
  #20
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.
That's a BOLD statement.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  #21
Anchor Town*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
Watched him play last night and probably 45 times the last two years. In a nutshell, very talented but refuses to compete. Will NOT take a hit to make a play, never seen it in 3 years.
But if he turns it around has skill to be a top 6 producing guy, so just have to be patient and see
He must have a **** ton of skill if he can put up 1.5 PPG without competing once

Anchor Town* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:19 PM
  #22
HanSolo
Moderator
aka DuckJet
 
HanSolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 66,766
vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Not really complaining... just observing.

Supposedly now Jurco is on a line with Huberdeau and is putting up these great numbers. Zach Phillips gets called a "product of Huberdeau" all the time. Phillips still puts up insanely good numbers. Yet, I still see it all the time. Phillips isn't considered as good of a prospect because he plays with him.

Now that Jurco is playing with both of them and putting up good numbers it is because he is amazing and has found his stride, not because he is a product of Huberdeau. Seems like a double standard here. Phillips puts up better numbers than Jurco whether Jurco is with them or not.

Jurco was 6th on the team in points last year. Behind Steven Anthony, Stanislav Galiev, Michael Kirkpatrick, Zack Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau. Obviously only 3 players are on the 1st line so I fail to see how Jurco being on the 2nd is an excuse for his numbers.

Basically, with how great Jurco is supposed to be, I figured he should be putting up great numbers regardless of who he plays with. Relative to his teammates, he isn't that outstanding of a player(right now). Meh, I'm sure people who watch him every game know more. He has been improving his numbers this season, so hopefully he keeps it up.
Lol. It doesn't apply to our prospects but the same goes for the Ducks.

Perry is only good cause of Getzlaf Ryan Visnovsky Fowler Selanne
Getzlaf is good only cause of the same players
And so on and so forth. No Duck is as good as he seems. He's only good because of another player who actually sucks. If a player is getting points it's not because of the merits of another player. Each player on a line makes the other better. I'm sure if Jurco wasn't playing on that line, his linemates' numbers would drop a bit.

HanSolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:42 PM
  #23
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
He must have a **** ton of skill if he can put up 1.5 PPG without competing once

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:32 PM
  #24
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,406
vCash: 500
2 more goals for Tomas tonight.

He's up to 16 goals from 22 games, to go with 17 assists.

Still only 2 pointless games from 22 games, and he's currently on a 7 game point streak.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
  #25
Anchor Town*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
So much for inconsistency

Anchor Town* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.