HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

4 Nations tournament Ann Arbor, MI.

Old
12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Rekus

vCash: 500
4 Nations tournament Ann Arbor, MI.

USA loses its first game to Russians. Same type of game as was played at the World U17 in Sarnia. Usa had same strategy (there was none) - with the same result. Max Jones did not play as he was injured. Without him - team USA has no grit at forward. No one going to the net, always looking for a pretty (clean) goal. Tim Gettinger was replacing Jones - he had some nice flashes and tried to go to the net - but was not given enough opportunity. Coaching staff keep going back to same players - and its not working against Russia. Too many perimeter players in my opinion.

Same players taking dumb,lazy penalties at key moments. Just dumb strategy/coaching.

Rekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2014, 01:03 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I thought the US team played a much better game than they did at the U17 WHC final to be honest. Obviously that didn't show up on the score sheet but they were working much harder, were much more physical and were generating some quality scoring chances.

The lack of discipline was awful and with the momentum they were carrying at various points in the game could have been decisive in preventing the tying goal. I'm also not crazy about the first powerplay unit as it seem Krys and Keller waste a lot of time passing the puck back and forth. The whole team seems to have the mindset of looking for the perfect pass rather than shooting though.

This Russian group is very fast, hard working and disciplined defensively so they've been far more effective at limiting chances and instilling an effective forecheck than other teams the US has faced internationally. If a team can put pressure on a US team for the full length of the ice and not let them get their own forecheck established it can give them real problems. Add in the skill most Russian players have and they're certain to create offense off of any turnovers.

It was a great game though and very exciting to watch. It's a shame Jones is injured because I think he would have thrived in the physical atmosphere. I'm disappointed that Sokolov and Rubtsov aren't there for the Russians but they're clearly good enough even without them to represent a major challenge.

I hope we'll see a rematch between the two teams in the final on Saturday. As if the US team didn't have enough reason to want a win against this Russian group the taunt after the empty net goal really set the tone for it.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 12:18 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

The Russians won the rematch in the final 3-2. The US couldn't get anything going until late in the second after scoring on the power play to take the lead. However the Russians answered soon after to tie the game before taking advantage of two power plays in the third. The US rallied late, adding one goal and getting some chances in the last seconds but in the end the better team won.

Full credit to the Russian team as they've been consistently better than the US over the three games they've played, holding them to just 3 goals. I've seen Russian junior teams give the US trouble over the years but this group seems to be one of the best in years. I'll be curious to see how they progress over the next few years and if it translates into future pro/draft and international success.

It's hard to say what, if anything, the lack of success the US team has had against the Russians means about their quality and long term prospects. They're 8 and 0 in their other international games having outscored those opponents 48 to 11. Players I've liked very much in those games have looked over matched against Russia. The fact that they're 1 and 12 against USHL competition isn't an argument in their favor either though.

It's very early in the hockey careers of all these players so I'm sure things will become more clear over the next couple of years.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The Russians won the rematch in the final 3-2. The US couldn't get anything going until late in the second after scoring on the power play to take the lead. However the Russians answered soon after to tie the game before taking advantage of two power plays in the third. The US rallied late, adding one goal and getting some chances in the last seconds but in the end the better team won.

Full credit to the Russian team as they've been consistently better than the US over the three games they've played, holding them to just 3 goals. I've seen Russian junior teams give the US trouble over the years but this group seems to be one of the best in years. I'll be curious to see how they progress over the next few years and if it translates into future pro/draft and international success.

It's hard to say what, if anything, the lack of success the US team has had against the Russians means about their quality and long term prospects. They're 8 and 0 in their other international games having outscored those opponents 48 to 11. Players I've liked very much in those games have looked over matched against Russia. The fact that they're 1 and 12 against USHL competition isn't an argument in their favor either though.

It's very early in the hockey careers of all these players so I'm sure things will become more clear over the next couple of years.
Thanks for the update. Seems like the Russian had a considerably different roster from the one at the U-17 World Hockey Challenge. Impressive how they were able to win despite key losses like Sokolov and Rubtsov.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote