HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memo -- Show Up A Full 60

Old
11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Pretty much with the consensus here for GBU. The one thing to add (I think one other person mentioned it) but my God our ice is miserable. Guys falling all over the place, the puck constantly skipping and not staying flat on the ice. The millions spent on the dehumidifier and zambonis with frickin' laser beams seem to be doing absolutely nothing, if they are it's actually making it worse.

The article in the Buffalo News said otherwise..... Players were saying it sucked in preseason..... but is great now.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Ennis is awesome.
He is? I've read a lot of this around here, but have yet to see it in a game.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hal2000

first non sellout of the pegula era. Sad.

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:00 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
The article in the Buffalo News said otherwise..... Players were saying it sucked in preseason..... but is great now.
I'm aware, I read the article this morning so I paid more attention to it tonight being there in person. There's no way in hell you can convince me that the ice was even average tonight. It was as if we were playing in Florida.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Stanford

Saying Ellis had a strong game is sort of like farting and it not smelling. Who gives a crap if he gives a great effort, if he's not a good NHL player? There's a severe drop off in puck control and opportunity making with Ellis that guys like Kaleta even excel at over him.

Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Saying Ellis had a strong game is sort of like farting and it not smelling. Who gives a crap if he gives a great effort, if he's not a good NHL player? There's a severe drop off in puck control and opportunity making with Ellis that guys like Kaleta even excel at over him.
So... he had a strong game but no one noticed?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:04 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

besides roy, kaleta, pominville, hecht and vanek, I have yet to see consistent team play on offense from a lot of players.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Stanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
So... he had a strong game but no one noticed?
I guess its more like when you get one welling up, and you think you're gonna gross out your friends, and on release it has an epic sound, but then there's no pungent payoff.

boy, why the hell did i even go there?

oh yeah. Matt Ellis. Who gives a fart?

Old
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
slip

Is Ruff coaching this team into the ground?

Did he admit as much when he called himself an "idiot" at the presser?

I want the team that beat the Pens back.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
I guess its more like when you get one welling up, and you think you're gonna gross out your friends, and on release it has an epic sound, but then there's no pungent payoff.

boy, why the hell did i even go there?

oh yeah. Matt Ellis. Who gives a fart?

They should send ellis down and call someone up from portland.

Old
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

This team needs Hecht back.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

This is the real reason the Sabres sucked tonight...

BNHarrington Mike Harrington
#Sabres confirm Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn were in Dan DiPofi's 200 level section for tonight's game. TG's first game since sale.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Stanford

Quote:
They should send ellis down and call someone up from portland.
I'd be 100% with you, if this were last year.

You wanna make some waves? You trade Roy, now. none of this dumping Dan Paille cuz he isn't playing crap. They've treated this team, coming into this season, like an obsessed mother over her firstborn, SHOWERING them with the best of the best of everything that an endless bank account can buy. Its any wonder they have no life in their step. So what do you do? You pluck a mainstay who represents that kind of spoiled, entitled attitude that you just enabled for 4 months straight, and you cast him out because he's playing like the ****box face-flopping hackjob he used to be.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:19 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
According to the injury thread, he's not even skating. The timeline for his return is so nebulous that we're probably better off forgetting Hecht.

On the sunny side of the street, Leino/Roy/Stafford showed great chemistry (shades of Leino, Briere, Hartnell?). We need another scoring line behind VAP, and this might be it.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
I'd be 100% with you, if this were last year.

You wanna make some waves? You trade Roy, now. none of this dumping Dan Paille cuz he isn't playing crap. They've treated this team, coming into this season, like an obsessed mother over her firstborn, SHOWERING them with the best of the best of everything that an endless bank account can buy. Its any wonder they have no life in their step. So what do you do? You pluck a mainstay who represents that kind of spoiled, entitled attitude that you just enabled for 4 months straight, and you cast him out because he's playing like the ****box face-flopping hackjob he used to be.
You buy talent, you don't buy chemistry.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Good:

The ice did not look as crappy as usual.

Kaleta was great IMO. Gausted too.

Vanek is the leagues MVP.

Enroth was solid. I think he deserves the start next game.

Pomminville played a solid game.

Roy was good again.

Boyes was okay but he's not getting a chance to play with Roy and Stafford on the 2nd line. Like he should be.

Bad:

Myers. Another one of his patented brain farts in the first, when he just kind of gave it away feebly, in the slot. I mean, WTH is that all about?!? Shots are getting blocked like crazy, but some really good shots did get through. Not a bad game, but still room for improvement.

Weber sucked but it was nice to see him finally get to play a game.

Miller was not ready for the Flyers, they looked like they knew exactly how too beat him and they did. To be honest, I wasn't ready to watch that much sucky play in the d-zone either!! He did rob Jagr though. Could have been worse.

Ehrhoff's turnover too Hartnell. You can't score 3 goals in one play.

Ugly:

Ruff. Dude. You put Boyes on the 2nd line, Leino on the 4th line, and it's all solved. Don't reward cold players, reward HOT players.

At 44.8 seconds to go, the Flyers moved the puck BACK into their zone, and the linesman blew the play dead for off-sides. That's not off-sides, and it might have cost us the tying goal. JERK!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Stanford

Quote:
You buy talent, you don't buy chemistry. Trading roy is about as smart as trading myers. You have given up on the team because they are expensive.
i never said anything about giving up on anyone (except Roy), or that they were expensive. I said they were SPOILED, and Roy emboddies that kind of attitude through his play. He always has. It's been a huge criticism of him his entire career.

What chemistry did anyone really see tonight? I saw guys running into one another, flopping on the ice for no apparent reason and then whining about it (see: #9), total disjointedness. The only consistent effort was the one powerplay where they held it in the zone for 1:50 straight. Otherwise, that was an embarassing effort. If Roy is so valuable to his line or this supposed chemistry, it certain hasn't shown itself in the stat sheet, and other than his usual brand of blind backhand dumps in front of the net, he's produced a minimal amount of opportunities.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
HockeyTerror

Good:
Vanek
LRS line
Sekera

Bad:
LRS not scoring
Vanek missing almost a full period. No Vanek, no offense

Ugly:
I get to watch this crapfest live on Friday

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i never said anything about giving up on anyone (except Roy), or that they were expensive. I said they were SPOILED, and Roy emboddies that kind of attitude through his play. He always has. It's been a huge criticism of him his entire career.

What chemistry did anyone really see tonight? I saw guys running into one another, flopping on the ice for no apparent reason and then whining about it (see: #9), total disjointedness. The only consistent effort was the one powerplay where they held it in the zone for 1:50 straight. Otherwise, that was an embarassing effort. If Roy is so valuable to his line or this supposed chemistry, it certain hasn't shown itself in the stat sheet, and other than his usual brand of blind backhand dumps in front of the net, he's produced a minimal amount of opportunities.
Funny. The player that played the best tonight (not named Vanek) is getting bashed for falling to the ice after being slashed behind the knee by Giroux ...

Old
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Honestly, I think the best he's looked has been his first 9 NHL games. Ever since then he's just been trying to do too much. He needs to take some lessons from Gerbe.

Anyway, I'm not too upset I missed this game. I think we'll settle back down eventually. They looked great in the first few games and since then have been struggling to make the simple plays. The question is how long it will take to settle down.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:41 PM
slip

Quote:

What about going 17-8 on faceoffs tonight? Is that embarrassing too?

Funny, I thought Derek played one of his strongest games of the year tonight. I guess that's why they call them opinions.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:45 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post

Yeah i agree, he was a fixture on our top line for several years and a leader. With players like gaustad, mccormick and kaleta, the sabres have the optimum level of gritty effort. That needs to be a strength.

Hecht is good at everything(skating,passing,shooting,defending) but more specifically, holding on to the puck. He should make it easier to decide who is better playing where because he is so versatile (and has size).

these would be my healthy lines..

vanek adam pominville
ennis roy stafford
hecht leino boyes
mccormick gaustad kaleta.

Old
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Ok, I'm going to try really hard to be rational about this GBU and not just rip into the team wholesale...

G: Had to think about this, but...

- Vanek was, again, probably our best player. He's been a monster this season.

- Enroth was fantastic.

- Adam had a pretty solid game. Probably his best in a little while.

I think that's it. Yeesh.

B: And heeere we go, folks...

- Miller. Yikes.

- Weber. Holy crap was he terrible. Positioning, decision making, you name it... he dropped the gloves at least. That's why he isn't in the Ugly column.

- Ehrhoff. Ugh.

- Leino. Ugh x 2. I'm getting extremely worried about him, to be honest.

- Myers has been AWFUL this year. AWFUL. I thought this was his breakout year, but he's been just as bad as he was at the beginning of last year. He just looks disinterested.

- Leopold. Blah.

- Boyes not noticeable yet again.

U:

- Losing at home AGAIN. Effing AGAIN. Good God.

- Losing to the Flyers without Pronger or Briere even touching the ice.

- Scott Hartnell.

This team is mediocre at best right now. They don't play with any heart until it's too late. Their defense, which I thought would be our biggest strength this year, has been bad. Just downright bad. Miller has bailed us out at times, but he's been just slightly above average this year, and I hate to say it, but Enroth has outplayed him. Without Vanek, Pominville, and Regehr I honestly have no idea where this team would be, because the other guys on the ice either don't give a **** or just aren't producing (Stafford, Gerbe). For them to come out and play like they did on home ice after the Florida loss and the message Lindy sent is very disturbing, to say the least. We have two VERY winnable games on home ice Friday and Saturday, and we'd do well to win both of them and make hay while the sun is up or whatever that phrase is.

Time to grow some cucumbers!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stanford

you're right. And look at where all of those faceoffs led us? and that -2 looks beautiful as well.

My section was openly LAUGHING at Roy's whiny antics. It wasn't just one slash to the knee. If he's so valuable, why isn't he on the top line with the guys he's played most of his career with?

Roy is a myth. Sort of like Paul Poz with the Bills was. Get over it.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
you're right. And look at where all of those faceoffs led us? and that -2 looks beautiful as well.

My section was openly LAUGHING at Roy's whiny antics. It wasn't just one slash to the knee. If he's so valuable, why isn't he on the top line with the guys he's played most of his career with?

Roy is a myth. Sort of like Paul Poz with the Bills was. Get over it.
You mean the slash at the end? He went down because he got HACKED on the back of the leg. I thought it was a dive until I saw the replay. He got hacked hard.

He's a myth? Really? Roy has actually produced in the past, unlike Poz. There is no comparison between the two, bud.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote