HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memo -- Show Up A Full 60

Old
11-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Pengo

vCash: 500
@BZK

What exactly do you mean by can't and won't? I guess the won't part is from Regier (or Quinn/Golisano), but why can't they?

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
Difference between Philly and Buffalo:

Philly was willing to trade Richards when he became a problem. Buffalo can't and won't trade Roy. Richards also has a ton more talent.
Roy has been the most consistently dangerous offensive player in the last two games, even if it's not showing up on the scoresheet. Are we just getting back into the "Roy is a cancer" arguments again? Is Chippewa Street going to somehow get incorporated here?

Also, when Philly is losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs because Giroux is their only center who can play against other teams' top offensive forwards, let's see how much applause Homer is getting then.

Oh, and if someone wants to offer the best prospect in hockey, a good 3rd liner, and a pick for Roy, I'll help Derek pack.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Roy has been the most consistently dangerous offensive player in the last two games, even if it's not showing up on the scoresheet. Are we just getting back into the "Roy is a cancer" arguments again? Is Chippewa Street going to somehow get incorporated here?

Also, when Philly is losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs because Giroux is their only center who can play against other teams' top offensive forwards, let's see how much applause Homer is getting then.

Oh, and if someone wants to offer the best prospect in hockey, a good 3rd liner, and a pick for Roy, I'll help Derek pack.
Also, when we have the center depth to even consider trading Roy, then we can start the discussion.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
The more I think about it, the more I get pissed at Lindy for shuffling just about the entire team heading into a game against a team that's scored 13 goals in their last two games. The forward lines (Gerbe-Adam-Stafford to start?) weren't even the lines in practice on Tuesday. Every defensive pairing was different. Ruff was quite correct in calling himself an idiot.

Stat of the Day: In the last 237:29 of game time, the Sabres have scored two ES goals when a forward line other than VAP was on the ice.

Though it's not as fun as bashing Miller and trying to spark a goaltending controversy, once again, just like last year, one of the big root causes for this team's early troubles is a lack of secondary scoring. This forward corps is supposed to be build on depth. We need those chances created by Leino-Roy-Stafford to start turning into goals, and quick. It will be amazing to see how many of the other "problems" go away when other guys start chipping in. And it'd be nice if some of our offensive defensemen (I'm looking at you Ehrhoff and Myers) started generating offense, too.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I get pissed at Lindy for shuffling just about the entire team heading into a game against a team that's scored 13 goals in their last two games. The forward lines (Gerbe-Adam-Stafford to start?) weren't even the lines in practice on Tuesday. Every defensive pairing was different. Ruff was quite correct in calling himself an idiot.
Yeah, that was a pretty big gamble in hindsight which did not pan out. And what happened when he more or less reverted the lines? We clawed our way back into the game.

I think our lines and pairings were more or less fine the way they were... some players just need to step up at this point.

EDIT: Oh, and to go along with every after loss theme in which Miller has a bad game -- trade Miller for a number 1 center!!! He's not going to get us to a cup but he will get us exactly what we need in a trade!!! Enroth plays 72 games!!!

-.-

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
ct2111

Quote:
I think someone mentioned it already, but shuffling the complete D just to fit in your #6 d-man was even dumber than the forwards line juggling.

Quote:
Stat of the Day: In the last 237:29 of game time, the Sabres have scored two ES goals when a forward line other than VAP was on the ice.

Though it's not as fun as bashing Miller and trying to spark a goaltending controversy, once again, just like last year, one of the big root causes for this team's early troubles is a lack of secondary scoring. This forward corps is supposed to be build on depth. We need those chances created by Leino-Roy-Stafford to start turning into goals, and quick. It will be amazing to see how many of the other "problems" go away when other guys start chipping in. And it'd be nice if some of our offensive defensemen (I'm looking at you Ehrhoff and Myers) started generating offense, too.
Amazing that Ehrhoff has 7 points (on pace for 52 points) given how...eh...ordinary he has looked the last few games. And that is with only 2 PPP (he averaged 25 PPP in his last three years).

Last edited by ct2111: 11-03-2011 at 09:58 AM.
ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

Definitely agree, I said the same thing in your third paragraph earlier in the thread about the secondary scoring.

For the defensemen, Ehrhoff needs to take his shot when he gets a chance, he hasn't unleashed his bomb many times at all. I will say that he hasn't been set up well to take his shot but he's still passed it up a few times. Teams have been gunning for him on the PP but he needs to do whatever it takes, move around on the point or take one-timers, to take his shot.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
you're right. And look at where all of those faceoffs led us? and that -2 looks beautiful as well.

My section was openly LAUGHING at Roy's whiny antics. It wasn't just one slash to the knee. If he's so valuable, why isn't he on the top line with the guys he's played most of his career with?

Roy is a myth. Sort of like Paul Poz with the Bills was. Get over it.
A myth that has scored at a .93 PPG pace over the last 4 years (that's 76 points per season).

He's not on that line because he an Vanek simply do not mesh well together, simple as that.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I give up. This makes me a terrible fan but I've given this team enough support to know that come March, we will be fighting for a spot...clearly it doesen't matter who we have on this squad. I'll be back when the Bills let me down bc I have no idea how to support an overpaid team who finds a way to lose at home. From the top to the bottom we have issues and I can't believe I have tickets for this Winnipeg game. I fully expect us to lose to the harder working team. My stomach just turns.
The team is 6-5, people around here are acting like the team went on an 11 game losing streak to start the season.

If 6-5 is as big of a disappointment as some people are acting like it is, then your expectations were way too high. I thought they would contend to win the division and even if they didn't I thought they'd finish top 5 or 6 in the conference, which hasn't changed.

The team is allowed to struggle from time to time, they cruised into the year with some solid, convincing victories, and now they're struggling. Once they run off 4 or 5 wins in a row everybody will be back on board.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Not to mention mixing up the lines so much. I get putting Leino with Vanek and Pominville, but then why is Adam all of a sudden with Gerbe and Stafford to start the game? He broke up the GGK line for no reason when Adam could've just took Leino's spot with Roy and Stafford.
Dare I say it........He likes Adam at center

As to your overall point. I don't get all the line jumbling he did either. GGK is a solid 3rd line and is a catalyst most nights. Don't mess with what works.

Not to mention, as Chain pointed out, throwing Weber (in his first game back) out against the hottest line in the NHL.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Whammer

vCash: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
The team is 6-5, people around here are acting like the team went on an 11 game losing streak to start the season.

If 6-5 is as big of a disappointment as some people are acting like it is, then your expectations were way too high. I thought they would contend to win the division and even if they didn't I thought they'd finish top 5 or 6 in the conference, which hasn't changed.

The team is allowed to struggle from time to time, they cruised into the year with some solid, convincing victories, and now they're struggling. Once they run off 4 or 5 wins in a row everybody will be back on board.
Sorry for the double post. The post didnt show up so I did another response.

Last edited by Whammer: 11-03-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Couldnt wait for the post to show up :-D
Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
I think someone mentioned it already, but shuffling the complete D just to fit in your #6 d-man was even dumber than the forwards line juggling.

Amazing that Ehrhoff has 7 points (on pace for 52 points) given how...eh...ordinary he has looked the last few games. And that is with only 2 PPP (he averaged 25 PPP in his last three years).
He didn't have to shuffle the d-pairs to get Weber in the lineup. For whatever reason he chose to do it.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Whammer

Quote:

I think most are disappointed in their play in the last 5 compared to their play for the first 6. What is also frustrating is that they all have nice sound bites for the media saying that they know they need to be better at home and then still play like crap.

Can they win 4 of the next 5? Sure. Can they lose 4 of the next 5? Yes.

Yes it has only been 11 games, but at what point does that number (11) start to cause concern is Sabreland? 15? 20?

Old
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
I think most are disappointed in their play in the last 5 compared to their play for the first 6. What is also frustrating is that they all have nice sound bites for the media saying that they know they need to be better at home and then still play like crap.

Can they win 4 of the next 5? Sure. Can they lose 4 of the next 5? Yes.

Yes it has only been 11 games, but at what point does that number (11) start to cause concern is Sabreland? 15? 20?
Not for a while IMO. The team was almost in dead last right now last season, and continued to be at the bottom of the league through November and into December. The expectations are higher this season but I'd give them 20-25 games, then if they're under .500, then I start to worry. Sure, there are issues with the team right now that I'm not thrilled about, certain guys that aren't performing, but nothing awful that can't be fixed.

Vanek is performing like a man possessed
Adam is panning out as well as we could have imagined
Pominville is on top of his game
Miller has had TWO (take a deep breath, read it again)....TWO bad games out of nine. And the best part about it, now we have a good back-up goalie to go to if we need to
Regehr has been an absolute rock on the defensive end
Roy is finally starting to come around and play like we know he can
The GGK line is as good as they have ever been (if they stick together)

No, the team has not played well recently but I think once you see Myers (who struggled at the beginning of last year too) and Ehrhoff start to get their game back, you could see a huge shift.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Whammer

Quote:
Not for a while IMO. The team was almost in dead last right now last season, and continued to be at the bottom of the league through November and into December. The expectations are higher this season but I'd give them 20-25 games, then if they're under .500, then I start to worry. Sure, there are issues with the team right now that I'm not thrilled about, certain guys that aren't performing, but nothing awful that can't be fixed.
With the higher expectations and the way they started are good signs. Bad signs is to see certain guys struggle again this year. They had to bust their ***** to get in last year and I hope that is not the same situation this year.

Quote:
Vanek is performing like a man possessed
Adam is panning out as well as we could have imagined
Pominville is on top of his game
Agreed and great to see. I was hoping Luke would make the big club this year.

Quote:
Miller has had TWO (take a deep breath, read it again)....TWO bad games out of nine. And the best part about it, now we have a good back-up goalie to go to if we need to
But it's the way he loses them that still upsets most. Letting in soft goals, not mentally prepared, etc. Now to extrapolate those numbers....2 of 9 games were bad. He has started 9 of the first 11. That puts him on pace for 67 games and if 2 of 9 are bad then he will have 14 bad games. Of course I'm being facetious with that last stat, but he should't be on pace for 67 games. Is he our number 1? Yes, but I would like to have seen Jhonas in 4 of the first 11. I just hope Lindy handles it differently this year.

Quote:
Regehr has been an absolute rock on the defensive end
Roy is finally starting to come around and play like we know he can
The GGK line is as good as they have ever been (if they stick together)
Regher has been good. Roy is coming around after the injury last year and the shoulder and hammy issues this year. GGK has been their best line so far and I wish Lindy would keep them together.

Quote:
No, the team has not played well recently but I think once you see Myers (who struggled at the beginning of last year too) and Ehrhoff start to get their game back, you could see a huge shift.
I certainly hope so.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:46 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He didn't have to shuffle the d-pairs to get Weber in the lineup. For whatever reason he chose to do it.
Bad wording. That's what I meant. Putting Weber with Leopold and letting Ehrhoff stay with Sekera would have been the obvious choice. That Ehrhoff/Leopold pairing looked like a disaster waiting to happen, I think 'Hoff needs Regehr or Sekera to bail out his mistakes.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
With the higher expectations and the way they started are good signs. Bad signs is to see certain guys struggle again this year. They had to bust their ***** to get in last year and I hope that is not the same situation this year.

But it's the way he loses them that still upsets most. Letting in soft goals, not mentally prepared, etc. Now to extrapolate those numbers....2 of 9 games were bad. He has started 9 of the first 11. That puts him on pace for 67 games and if 2 of 9 are bad then he will have 14 bad games. Of course I'm being facetious with that last stat, but he should't be on pace for 67 games. Is he our number 1? Yes, but I would like to have seen Jhonas in 4 of the first 11. I just hope Lindy handles it differently this year.
Sure, I'm not happy to see them start the way they have, I'm just saying it's not the end of the world. I mean there are certainly teams with similar (or higher) expectations who are worse off than Buffalo right now (a certain Stanley Cup Champs?).

Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, if Enroth starts on Friday then he will be back on pace for 20 games. 1 in every 4 as Ruff stated before the season started. If Enroth continues playing as well as he is I'm sure he'll find more starts coming his way.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Sure, I'm not happy to see them start the way they have, I'm just saying it's not the end of the world. I mean there are certainly teams with similar (or higher) expectations who are worse off than Buffalo right now (a certain Stanley Cup Champs?).
I'd love to have Boston's problems AFTER winning the Cup .

Guess we'll be revisiting this team after the next 10 game segment. Stay tuned!

Old
11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
I'd love to have Boston's problems AFTER winning the Cup .

Guess we'll be revisiting this team after the next 10 game segment. Stay tuned!
Boston started last year 8-6-4

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote