HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Bills '04 Season Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Weezel RX7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
too conservative with the ball near the end of the game...Nate Clements shouldnt have gone for the pick...not the way to get to the playoffs

Old
09-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
Jags defense??? what defense?

Old
09-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
too conservative with the ball near the end of the game...Nate Clements shouldnt have gone for the pick...not the way to get to the playoffs

how ironic.

Old
09-12-2004, 06:14 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I love theOffensive pass interference where Smith grabbed Clements and then caught it.Oh well,let them have the win.It'll be one of the few they'll get.When Lawyer comes back this team will get their ass in gear.

Old
09-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Dropkick Alex

Every win counts in the NFL season though.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Every win counts in the NFL season though.

True... but on the other hand very few 15-1 teams miss the playoffs so teams are going to lose once in a while.

Nobody should be sending a white flag up yet.

Old
09-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Nobody should be sending a white flag up yet.
To echo Ruck here, the Pats got off to a rather slow start last season...

Old
09-12-2004, 09:21 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Miami falls to the Titans 17-7.

atleast Miami lost to a good team.

Old
09-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Takeo

The loss was heartbreaking, but I thought the team played well overall. You can pick out a handful of plays that lost the game...the Lindell miss, the Moulds fumble, the holding penalty on the final drive that took us out of field goal position, and obviously the 4th and 14 conversion. I was also very confused as to why Bledsoe checked off of Shelton on the 3rd and goal. He looked wide open but the LB may have jumped into Drew's vision. But I thought Drew looked good otherwise (screens and check-downs), the o-line was adequate, and the D was very impressive, most notably Kelsay and Wire IMHO. Last season at this time we were 1-0 and booking flights to the SuperBowl. Instead of opening the Week 3 Sunday Night ESPN telecast of Bills at Dolphins with a pretentious, inflated, overblown montage of Spikes proclaiming the Bills as the new beasts in the East, maybe a workman's approach will be more productive. Looking forward to next week! GO BILLS!!

Old
09-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
atleast Miami lost to a good team.
At least the Bills have a pulse.

Old
09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Digable5

I live out of town and was unable to catch the game, but I think we can learn a lot from the mistakes that apparently occured in the Jax game and hopefully we'll be a better team for it. It sucks to lose, especially in that way, but you have to use this to your advantage and take it out on the next team or even better the next 18 teams.

Old
09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
I live out of town and was unable to catch the game, but I think we can learn a lot from the mistakes that apparently occured in the Jax game and hopefully we'll be a better team for it. It sucks to lose, especially in that way, but you have to use this to your advantage and take it out on the next team or even better the next 18 teams.
Its always tough for a new head coach to win his first game

Old
09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
At least the Bills have a pulse.

_/\___/\___/\_______________________ flatline......

Old
09-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I had the good fortune to be able to attend both local games this weekend. The tailgating was GOOD.

The Bills just made too many mistakes and failed to cash in on their chances. It looks like the same old offense, but I was impressed when they were pushing Jacksonville around with the running game late in the 4th quarter with McGahee carrying the ball. It looked like they were going to be able to run out the clock or at least kick a field goal and leave the Jags with hardly any time left until Chris Villarrial pulled a Ruben Brown and got called for holding. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong at the worst time. It was a tough loss very reminescent of last season.

The biggest concern I have over this game is the Bills couldn't generate any pressure on Leftwich without blitzing. When they go up against a veteran QB, they're going to get burned on those blitzes. I can see them getting blown out by the Raiders.

The UB Bulls look better, but they're still the Bulls. We're it not for a couple blocked punts, they would have given Syracuse a real test. I don't think the Bulls have much of a chance as long as they try to play traditional football where they try to matchup up with their oppenents. They don't have the size or strength to play that game. They ought to look to the WAC and play a style like Air Force.

Old
09-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
After catching parts of today's game... all I can say is that the punt team ought to play more. Oh, wait, that's right... with no improvements to the offensive line for the 8th straight season, we get to see the punting unit all the time! :lol :lol

09-19-2004, 09:01 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
The Dallas Cowboys with the 1st overall pick will take __________

We're are all the Donahoe fans now?

17-33

Old
09-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
The Dallas Cowboys with the 1st overall pick will take __________

We're are all the Donahoe fans now?

17-33
Now they'll have to trade Henry to get back into the first round. Someone will take the bait...The problem is that a team with a low pick will probably like a guy like Benson or the Cadillac more than Henry.

I'm just about ready to start feeding Losman some painers by the handful just to get him out there....watching Bledsoe stand around in the pocket is getting pretty old.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:05 PM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Sigh. No NHL, same old Bills... This is terrible. I just wish they'd cut Bledsoe and be done with it. The sad thing is, we'd still have an atrocious special teams that takes the worst penalties imaginable......... If nothing else, this season will end some of our pains: no more Donahoe, no more Bledsoe.

Well, when Im home, Ill be damn sure to catch some Amerks games to see Vanek and Paille... Its my only hope of remaining a sports fan.

Old
09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Takeo

I tried to be optimistic last week. I know I saw a winning formula under all the mistakes, but I'm probably just fooling myself. I don't think we'll see another successful season until Losman's 2nd or 3rd year under center. I don't put all the blame on Bledsoe, but reality is reality.

I have no beef with Donahoe other than the fact he failed to address the O-line after last season's meltdown. He's made a lot of ballsy moves to put some quality, established talent on the field. Everybody can bash Bledsoe now, but he and Donahoe were hailed as kings when that trade went down. Ripping him in hindsight is pathetic.

I'm just glad the NHL season is on ice. Whatever hair I'll have left after watching the Bills would undoubtably be ripped out while tolerating the Sabres. Double the frustration would be a killer.

Old
09-20-2004, 08:57 AM
David3750

Excellent post as usual Takeo. I was one of those on cloud nine when Donahoe made the deal for Bledsoe, thinking that he had at least three good years, maybe five left to give to the Bills. No one in their right mind could have foreseen the rapid decline in his talents that has taken place over the past two years. Thus, the anger being directed at him I think comes from the shock and disappointment we all feel at the present time that this has happened. I also believe that the O-line was not addressed sufficiently during the off-season and it's difficult to understand why. And, we're just playing dumb, stupid football. Mental toughness? More like mental midgets. Not that this young man is the savior of the franchise (although you never know) but I sure wish JP Losman was healthy these days so Mularkey could at least entertain the thought of possibly seeing what the kid could do. I'm convinced that this guy has all the tools, especially the grit and drive, to be a damn good quarterback. His personality is the type that fires up teammates and gets them moving again. Thanks to Mr. Vincent, we'll have to wait on that for awhile but I, for one, am looking forward to the moment when the team becomes his.

Old
09-20-2004, 09:11 AM
SkateLikeTheWind

I've finally figured out the problem with our offense...Bledsoe sucks. Watch almost every other QB in the league, then watch Bledsoe. One thing is clear, he gets sacked half as many times as completions he makes. Thats horrible. Yes some of the blame goes to our offensive line. But come on Drew, move around a little bit. Im calling him the Statue of Drew from now on, because he doesnt move. In todays NFL, you either need a mobile QB to scramble around and buy time to find the open man, or a QB who has an extrememly quick release and is very accurate. And Drew is neither one of those.

Its sad to say because there was so much optimism when Bledsoe came here, but I dont think we will have another winning season until he is no longer our starting QB.

Old
09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Takeo

- Considering last season's debacle, Donahoe had two options:

A) Acquire a mobile QB to compensate for a below-average offensive line.

or

B) Upgrade the offensive line to compensate for an aging pocket passer.

Donahoe, however, created an option C which was provide the pocket passer with more weapons. Only problem is that the new coaching staff intended to pound the football on the ground...which clearly contradicts the fabricated option C and should steer one toward option B IMO. I don't see the logic.

- Oh, and Eric Moulds clearly made Peerless Price in Buffalo. Price is a quality receiver but not a #1. Sorry Hotlanta. But that said, his loss here has been devastating.

- I hate to say it and I don't put it all on Drew, but the NFL is passing us by as long as he is the starting QB.

Old
09-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

What this team really needs.... is some sort of pack mentality.

That's the ticket.

Old
09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3750
Excellent post as usual Takeo. I was one of those on cloud nine when Donahoe made the deal for Bledsoe, thinking that he had at least three good years, maybe five left to give to the Bills. No one in their right mind could have foreseen the rapid decline in his talents that has taken place over the past two years.
I don't think Bledsoe has declined. You're seeing the same Drew Bledsoe that floundered in New England when their offensive line went south. His arm strength is still terrific, and when he has time he'll hit the open man. If you're not committed to building a great offensive line, you don't trade for him. It's as simple as that. The dramatic decline in Donahoe's GM skills wasn't forseen.

Old
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
The Sanchise

all that matters is that the bills are horrible..common they have gotten 2 touchdowns in the first two weeks..my jets rb curtis martin has more tds than the bills do...and i cant wait until they play week 5..the jets are gonna whoop them so bad.. its gonna be like 31-10
hahaha

Closed Thread