HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto at Columbus | 11.3.11 7PM EDT | "Movember"

Old
11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
C'mon-he's on pace for 24 goals this year. What do you want from a guy making 7 mill or so?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
not to troll or anything, but I don't think Nash is the right player to build your team around.
Gee, you think?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
He's not fat, nor slow. Accountability starts at the top - and among the players, that's the Captain and "star player."
Honestly, I don't see the desire with Nash to win.. Maybe losing has been ingrained into him . Can't blame him, but can't imagine him leading team out of this. He is not a leader. What could we realistically get in a package for Nash ? There has to be teams that would think he could put them over the top, and would over pay for him. Hire an experienced gm, and make some moves. I like Nash, but an overpayment could turn us around quickly

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
Seriously , How can we blame arniel for this , mason loses nearly every game we play, and is probably worst goalie in the game. We have paulson who may not score a goal this season, giroux is a wasted spot, is he really better than Atkinson ? Mackenzie on 1st line ? At this point, praying decanich is good, and we need carter bad. Trade brassard for help
I blame Arniel for not sitting Mason for a period after the second goal. I was INFURIATED after Arniel left Mason in after the third goal. Everybody in the building knew Mason was having an off night. 3-1 with a period to play is much different than 4-1.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

delete...

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

I, too, like Nash. But I would not be opposed AT ALL to seeing him go. There's a whole list of guys I'd rather have than Nash...can't imagine we couldn't get a one of the few of them for Nash.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I am beginning to think that the Jackets need a goalie like the Browns need a wide out, or quaterback
We're Browns on Ice. (apologies to JBum)

Old
11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
squarelaces

How long till Sanford is back?

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:00 PM
hsfgsteele

To all the mustache haters, this may be the only time theses players will get to grow one the way this season is going.

hsfgsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
davidbklyn

couldn't tune in tonight because of class, other than updating espn on my phone. sure am glad i did that.

I watched toronto last night and was afraid tonight would go like this. the way they played against NJ, I was pretty sure our blue line couldn't keep up.

So Mase had a bad night huh? sheesh. I'd sure like to get schneider. I'd let brass go for that, but they probably want more. any ideas?

also, much as rick nash drives me crazy and i don't think he is capable of pulling the team out of this, i don't want to see him traded. he likes it here a lot, just isn't the right mindset to get angry and lead. one thing that really bothers me though is how much he says everyone likes what they have here. that shouldn't matter, who cares if they like what they have? they're not supposed to be comfortable and enjoying themselves. they shouldn't let themselves feel that way.

what a bummer

priest has got to go, number one priority to me.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halfboard
New Look

Just home from the game. I've witnessed alot of stinkers over the years - this one is near the top of that list. Nothing really to take away from it. Jackets are mostly skill deprived, overall veryyyyyy slow, uninspired. 39 shots, but mostly right into the goalie's pads or chest.

Leaf fans were very good - well behaved, friendly & didn't gloat.

Wow, our team just sucks eggs overall - don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
I blame Arniel for not sitting Mason for a period after the second goal. I was INFURIATED after Arniel left Mason in after the third goal. Everybody in the building knew Mason was having an off night. 3-1 with a period to play is much different than 4-1.
Yeah... that was pretty rough.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Everybody in the building knew Mason was having an off night
Actually it seems pretty much par for the course for Steve Mason. I will tell you right now I have not seen an NHL goaltender give up three goals as bad as the last three he gave up in one game. They were absolutely mind-boggling goals. I heard the Maple Leafs were making fun of Mason in their locker room, classless but honestly I can't blame them, he's a joke.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:25 PM
The Saurus

I thought Columbus played a very good game from the d-men out. They controlled the puck for much of the game, out-skated the Leafs for the last 50 minutes but had their backs broken by the terrible goals given up by Mason.

Mark my words: if Columbus gets a decent starter (Cory Schneider from the Canucks, for example), they're just as good as Nashville, Anaheim or Dallas and would be fighting for a playoff spot.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:32 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dion Phaneuf View Post
I thought Columbus played a very good game from the d-men out. They controlled the puck for much of the game, out-skated the Leafs for the last 50 minutes but had their backs broken by the terrible goals given up by Mason.

Mark my words: if Columbus gets a decent starter (Cory Schneider from the Canucks, for example), they're just as good as Nashville, Anaheim or Dallas and would be fighting for a playoff spot.
Pretty much exactly as I see it. Thanks, captain.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

Agreed up to a point. A real #1 goalie can help the PK considerably, but our power play is still gawd-awful.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:38 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Actually it seems pretty much par for the course for Steve Mason. I will tell you right now I have not seen an NHL goaltender give up three goals as bad as the last three he gave up in one game. They were absolutely mind-boggling goals. I heard the Maple Leafs were making fun of Mason in their locker room, classless but honestly I can't blame them, he's a joke.
Source??

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
CBJCougar

Didn't watch the game yet. I take it I don't want to....???

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:

Thanks for the words. Sadly I think the start of this season shows that the curse of the rookie phenom goal tender is alive and well Worst part is that, other teams know this is our weakness, and we will probably have to overpay to get another goaltender.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Source??
Columbus Dispatch reporters on Twitter:

Quote:
Leafs coach Ron Wilson on 4-1 win over #CBJ: "We scored awful easy. The other kid (Steve Mason) had a tough night."
Quote:
Wilson on 1st MacArthur goal that beat Mason: "That was a back-breaker. Thatís one where you say the goalie should have had it."
Quote:
Leafs F Clarke MacArthur on his first goal vs. #CBJ: "That was a well-placed shot. You feel bad for the goalie almost, but we needed it."

Old
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
We're Browns on Ice. (apologies to JBum)
No apologies needed! I have said that many times.......sigh!!!

We suck, they suck!,

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Source??
Not trying to make a big deal out of it, it was second-hand info from another person who was in their room to ask some questions, I do not have direct quotes. Honestly it was just sort of irritating for me and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
How long till Sanford is back?
Who cares? He is not the answer. Thank God, though, it sounds like Dex is about ready to rehab in Springy. Barring any set-backs for him, I say when he comes up they turn the net over to him, and tell him it is his job to lose.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Firing Arniel isn't solving anything. Firing Howson is a good start. Firing Priest and Howson is far better. Firing anyone else involved in player development is best of all. Clean house. Get a new GM in and let him decide what coach he wants.

No to "Gotta see it live." Yes to "Gotta change the culture."
If the problem is on the ice right now, what good would a new GM do? The only people who are available are either internal or unemployed, since no team is going to willingly allow front office staff to leave in the middle of a season.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:58 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Agreed up to a point. A real #1 goalie can help the PK considerably, but our power play is still gawd-awful.
A good goaltender inspires confidence and trust.

I believe the forwards and d-men are getting Arniel's message in the way they're playing the way he wants them to play. Despite those goals given up by Steve Mason, they still played the game they were taught to play and that tells me Arniel's job is safe. But it also spells the end of Mason as a starter, IMO, for the time being.

The powerplay will settle down once other facets of the BJ's game has as well. However, while they didn't get any tonight, they could have had a couple if it were not for the performance of rookie Ben Scrivens in the Leafs net. Having Nash and Wisniewski on the first unit is almost a guarantee they'll finish above half the teams in the league in powerplay proficiency once they find an answer to their more pressing concerns, like goaltending.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote