HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
These are the players that intrigue me: Tomas Hertl, Pontus Aberg, Stefan Matteau, Slater Koekkoek. But it's hard to predict who will be available at 26 this year — I'm seeing a lot of variation in people's lists between 15 and 45. I could easily see a guy like Zemgus Girgensons falling to us.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=80653

There's a link to the Draft Combine results, after taking a look through this, my first three picks are cemented (under ideal conditions):

1. 26th Overall - Ludvig Bystrom
2. 56th Overall - Henrik Samuelsson
3. (Trade to Anaheim or someone for an early 4th) 97th Overall - Jujhar Khaira
I wouldn't complain about the first two at all, especially Samuelsson at 56th. Lots of talk he might go in the first round after his Memorial Cup performance.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
how come we didn't get more news out of the combine? was expecting some info on who the canucks talked to, or at least which prospects improved or sunk their stock.
Yeah, it'd be interesting to at least learn who was/wasn't interviewed. Player/team reaction to the interviews would be even better.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
jammyrft

That's one of the big gripes I have with the Canucks/Vancouver media.

We don't know ANYTHING about NOTHING. We don't know who we talked to, we don't know how are prospects are training, we don't ever get any updates on our prospects, we don't know anything. Hell on our local Canucks sports station you learn more about basketball and NFL prospects then you do our young guys on the Wolves. It's pathetic really

Old
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

We don't know ANYTHING about NOTHING. We don't know who we talked to, we don't know how are prospects are training, we don't ever get any updates on our prospects, we don't know anything. Hell on our local Canucks sports station you learn more about basketball and NFL prospects then you do our young guys on the Wolves. It's pathetic really
Team 1040 is a sports station NOT a Canucks station!

You can bet the Canucks interviewed most of the players at the combine.

I agree I'd like a bit more info on how the prospects are training this summer, but the Internet is your best bet at draft info. The NHL draft is so much harder to predict than the nfl and nba drafts, and the players often don't contribute for 3-5 years anyways. It's hard for the 'average' fan to get excited about the GM interviewing some 6th round projected Finnish player. Hell even some of the main posters on this board don't really crave or care much for draft info.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
PRNuck

Quote:

Don't worry I'm sure Botch is working on a riveting piece about whether ketchup goes with grilled cheeses.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:20 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Team 1040 is a sports station NOT a Canucks station!

You can bet the Canucks interviewed most of the players at the combine.

I agree I'd like a bit more info on how the prospects are training this summer, but the Internet is your best bet at draft info. The NHL draft is so much harder to predict than the nfl and nba drafts, and the players often don't contribute for 3-5 years anyways. It's hard for the 'average' fan to get excited about the GM interviewing some 6th round projected Finnish player. Hell even some of the main posters on this board don't really crave or care much for draft info.

All I'm saying is 1040 could do a little less "who's birthday it is" and TDM's review of crappy movies and throw in a 5 minute piece on a certain Canucks prospect. What's wrong with having Craig macT on once a week to give an update on our prospects, who's playing well and what's going on. Hell can the Canucks not afford 1 reporter to follow a prospect or two and give fans updates on training regiments during the summer? Other teams release videos of potential draftees and their interviews. But you get nothing about nothing when it comes to Canucks. Hell when Malholtra got hit in the eye with a puck the Nucks wouldnt even confirm and eye injury they just kept saying "upper body" we still don't even know how his eye is and at what percentage it's at.

This team doesn't cater or market the players properly. If you ask me they should have someone following the team all year, record behind the scenes, mic up players during the games and release videos of the season in review.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:48 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
All I'm saying is 1040 could do a little less "who's birthday it is" and TDM's review of crappy movies and throw in a 5 minute piece on a certain Canucks prospect. What's wrong with having Craig macT on once a week to give an update on our prospects, who's playing well and what's going on. Hell can the Canucks not afford 1 reporter to follow a prospect or two and give fans updates on training regiments during the summer? Other teams release videos of potential draftees and their interviews. But you get nothing about nothing when it comes to Canucks. Hell when Malholtra got hit in the eye with a puck the Nucks wouldnt even confirm and eye injury they just kept saying "upper body" we still don't even know how his eye is and at what percentage it's at.

This team doesn't cater or market the players properly. If you ask me they should have someone following the team all year, record behind the scenes, mic up players during the games and release videos of the season in review.
You're asking for a lot from a station that employs the likes of Rintoul, McDonald and Patterson. 3 of the worst hosts there are who clearly have no grasp of players outside of the Canucks. And yet they try and pretend they know a lot.

I actually would rather listen to "The Beat" in the mornings over Rintoul. And I despise the beat.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:52 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
You're asking for a lot from a station that employs the likes of Rintoul, McDonald and Patterson. 3 of the worst hosts there are who clearly have no grasp of players outside of the Canucks. And yet they try and pretend they know a lot.

I actually would rather listen to "The Beat" in the mornings over Rintoul. And I despise the beat.
Im not just saying 1040. I'm including The Canucks organization, 1040, the province, the sun and every other media outlet in BC. They do a poor job of informing us on anything, it's rather disappointing

Old
06-04-2012, 12:06 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Im not just saying 1040. I'm including The Canucks organization, 1040, the province, the sun and every other media outlet in BC. They do a poor job of informing us on anything, it's rather disappointing
Honestly a team with Stanley cup aspirations shouldn't be putting videos of lottery picks on their website. That would silly.

We aren't the oilers. We aren't selling a rebuild.

Wait until the draft before complaining IMO. The NHL season is still underway. They will have plenty of articles and reports on draft picks and prospects later, the NHL is still playing....hard to sell newspaper space with Ludwig blomstands off season training when the SCF finals are on.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
crazycanuck

Any info on Chris Calnan, he was a top performer at the combine. Big kid going to Boston College. How good a skater is he?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
After reading the combine results here is my immature comment of the day...

"I can has cheezburger?"
"No, Yuhasz body fat!"

Seriously though, I'm really hoping Koekkoek falls to us. He looks to be a powerful skater, and I really think he will develop into a top 4 dman for us. If we can get him and Severson in the first two rounds our defense should be set for a while.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
After reading the combine results here is my immature comment of the day...

"I can has cheezburger?"
"No, Yuhasz body fat!"

Seriously though, I'm really hoping Koekkoek falls to us. He looks to be a powerful skater, and I really think he will develop into a top 4 dman for us. If we can get him and Severson in the first two rounds our defense should be set for a while.
I think Severson will be a steal in the 2nd rd.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
PRNuck

Koekkoek's emerging as my favourite too, if they decide to go defense. I'm thinking Colberg for forwards. Doubt either one lasts to our pick though, curse our success.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:06 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Koekkoek's emerging as my favourite too, if they decide to go defense. I'm thinking Colberg for forwards. Doubt either one lasts to our pick though, curse our success.
Of the Swedish players in this draft, Collberg is the one I prefer (and that includes Forsberg too). But I project he'll go in the teens.

Koekkoek will likely go early 20's, but if he were there at 26 it's a no brainer.

06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Jevo

Hertls results seem pretty good and makes me more sure that he would be a good pick. He was one of the best in the VO2max test and the hand-eye coordination. But wasn't in any top 10s in the strength tests. I interpret in the way that he has the work ethic it takes to train his body, you don't a ~65 VO2 max by sitting around on your butt, but he still have room to physically, and still isn't mature. On the opposite is a guy like Tom Wilson, who was a top performer in many of the strength tests, he is 18 and already more or less fully mature physically, that combined with his limited offensive skills, I would be very disappointed if the Canucks uses any pick on him.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Tiranis

Not a fan of Collberg at where he's likely to get picked (Top 20). He has not done much outside of his play in world tournaments. His production in Sweden this year was disappointing to say the least and many scouts have echoed that sentiment.

Pontus Aberg is the guy out of Sweden that IMO is flying under the radar (I've seen 2 games only though) because he didn't get to go to the U20 WJC due to an injury. Might be around when we pick.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Not a fan of Collberg at where he's likely to get picked (Top 20). He has not done much outside of his play in world tournaments. His production in Sweden this year was disappointing to say the least and many scouts have echoed that sentiment.

Pontus Aberg is the guy out of Sweden that IMO is flying under the radar (I've seen 2 games only though) because he didn't get to go to the U20 WJC due to an injury. Might be around when we pick.
I never know how much to read into Swedish prospects' stats from the men's league. Does anyone know if someone has his CHL rights? Would be cool to bring him over here if they somehow scooped him.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

I've heard Aberg has skating issues? Those might be lessened on smaller ice.

Heard/seen in highlights that his shot is world class. We all know we need some 'natural' goalscorers in the system.

Im thinking a defensman will be our pick this year, just a gut feeling.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Hertls results seem pretty good and makes me more sure that he would be a good pick. He was one of the best in the VO2max test and the hand-eye coordination. But wasn't in any top 10s in the strength tests. I interpret in the way that he has the work ethic it takes to train his body, you don't a ~65 VO2 max by sitting around on your butt, but he still have room to physically, and still isn't mature. On the opposite is a guy like Tom Wilson, who was a top performer in many of the strength tests, he is 18 and already more or less fully mature physically, that combined with his limited offensive skills, I would be very disappointed if the Canucks uses any pick on him.
Means Wilson probably overachieved due to his larger body and strength relative to his competition. When he's against other large, strong players he will likely flame out.

I can seriously see Wilson as nothing more than a 4th liner.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I've heard Aberg has skating issues? Those might be lessened on smaller ice.
I think you might be thinking of someone else.

Quote:
Aberg is a versatile winger who has tremendous straightaway speed and skating ability. As an undersized player, a lot of Aberg’s success hinges on his speed, which he utilizes every game. Aberg is a dynamic player who has good agility and the ability to find his way through traffic. He has above average offensive upside and is accomplished both as a scorer and a set-up man. Aberg competes hard and rarely takes a shift off which also makes up for some of the size concerns some may have. Overall, Aberg has the potential to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL but if he can develop as a PK guy, he should still be able to find a role as a Bottom 6 player who can create matchup problems with his speed.
Quote:
A conscientious two-way player ... a lightning-fast skater ... good balance on his skates ... a strong, natural goal scorer who likes to shoot ... has a quick, heavy wrist shot and slap shot ... a good puck handler ... able to spin away from trouble ... good in tight spaces ... a very creative player ... blessed with very good vision ... someone who brings it every shift with a high effort-level
Quote:
Not overly large ... his durability may be a concern unless he bulks up even more ... could use his teammates a little more
Quote:
“Unlike many other highly-touted European prospects, the 18-year-old Swede has already shown to be a reliable contributor playing in one of the top foreign leagues and is projected to be a first-round pick in June. He is a strong skater who is mature beyond his years.”

Old
06-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Tiranis

Here's a video of him:

Old
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Means Wilson probably overachieved due to his larger body and strength relative to his competition. When he's against other large, strong players he will likely flame out.

I can seriously see Wilson as nothing more than a 4th liner.
That was kinda my point about. He can't even produce offensively against boys in the CHL, I see him as having very little upside, at the very best as a 3rd liner, but even that is probably a reach. All those who rank him as a top 30 prospect bases that on him somehow finding an offensive game later on, that's the kind of thing that makes you draft Taylor Ellingtons, and we know how well that turned out last time we picked a guy like that early.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Here's a video of him:

Thanks for this.

Where are those comments from?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Tiranis