HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
Zharkov was hurt in the beginning of the season missing 17 games

He is on the same team as Gaunce who will probably be a top 10 pick. Both are big players, Zharkov is 6'3, Gaunce is 6'2 and a centre so some team will definitely pick this guy early. Zharkov is a Russian though, but if he's available we should consider taking him, 15 goals in 20 games definitely a big goal scoring winger
Tom Wilson of the Plymouth Whalers could be interesting as well. In the mold of the next Milan Lucic, 6'4, hits, fights, not a ton of points yet 16 in 31 games but he is on a deep Whalers team and isn't getting top minutes.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Drafting Morgan Reilly would be cool. or if we could pick up Royals C Steven Hodges in the later rounds. Both Delta natives.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
arsmaster

Central Scouting came out with their midterm rankings today.http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76670

A number of surprises, namely Radek Faska at 4th.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Central Scouting came out with their midterm rankings today.http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76670

A number of surprises, namely Radek Faska at 4th.
Charles Hudon slips to 96th - this guy could be a steal - top 10 in the q +/- on a team that is struggling. Lacks size & speed, but talent is there.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:44 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

------

A guy falling a bit under the radar is Riley Barber. An average sized RW born in Kesler's hometown, his dad grew up in BC, plays a two way game with a bit of grit, skates well, and elevates his game in big games. He's had a very good start with the USNTDP, 3rd leading scorer, just behind Nic Kerdiles. Sounds a bit like a Ryan Callahan type of player. There's an article where his Dad really wants him to play in the OHL, drafted by the Spitfires, but has committed to Miami U. I've seen him ranked in the 2nd and 3rd or not at all in the top 100. So some value to be had here.
I appreciate you bringing up a name like this.

Been doing a bit of digging on the prospects forum about him.

From a reputable poster, his compete level is a bit off this year, but he was mentioned as one of those players who is gritty, but more of a digger than a hitter.

He is also said to generally win the puck in board battles, no matter the size of the opponent.

Those scouting reports remind me of Cody Hodgson, who generally is able to separate players from the puck with smart and positioning, rather than brute strength.

This is definitely a kid who deserves a look, hopefully his offense picks up as the season wheres on. Seems like a Canuck draft pick.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Charles Hudon slips to 96th - this guy could be a steal - top 10 in the q +/- on a team that is struggling. Lacks size & speed, but talent is there.
He is on sportsnet tonight facing Halifax, with hyped prospect Nathan Mackinnon, Canuck Prospect Alexandre Grenier, and 2012 potential 1st rounder Martin Frk.

Should be a good game to watch.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
He is on sportsnet tonight facing Halifax, with hyped prospect Nathan Mackinnon, Canuck Prospect Alexandre Grenier, and 2012 potential 1st rounder Martin Frk.

Should be a good game to watch.
Thanks for the heads up. Hudon looked decent, not great, made a couple of nice plays. Smallish. Mackinnon was very good, looks like a future power forward. Frk sort of disappeared. Grenier showed well but still one dimensional (deke dman, score highlight reel goal) - no defensive or puck battle game to speak of, just like at rookie camp. Sawyer Hannay was also in this game - didn't look very good. Pageau (Ottawa 4th rounder) was the best player on the ice, imo.

Last edited by Outside99*: 01-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old
01-15-2012, 01:20 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
I appreciate you bringing up a name like this.
And thank you for asking those posters about him. I was following that thread as well. Glad i learned more about him. Seems like a guy who has some good potential as a mid to late round pick. Seems like the whole USNTDP U18 team is low-scoring. So relatively, he's not doing too bad.

Some other guys that may fall into the late rounds because of the level they play (already talked about Morgan Zulinick of the BCHL):

Teddy Blugers (or Teodors) - plays for Shattuck and is having a great season there. Played for Latvia in the WJC and did well despite being very young (Aug 94 B-day). Is a two-way center and is known to be dominant on the faceoffs - said to average well into the 60% range. Committed to Minnesota State for 2012, not a great program tbh.
Quote:
Teddy Bleuger, C – Shattuck St. Mary’s 6’0″ 175 Pounds
Quick is the way to describe Bleuger; quick feet, quick hands, quick decision making. Picks opponents apart with his passing, especially when he sets up shop below the goal line.
Grant Besse - plays in the Minnesota HS hockey system and is putting up some big numbers. Is a smaller guy at 5'10 and is currently unranked by ISS. I think for sure this guy will not be chosen in the first 4 rounds if history continues. He is committed to Wisconsin (same as LaBate), however, not until 2014 will he play there. He will either continue with HS or move to the USHL. We've seen teams hesitant like they were with McNally about this issue. But i think he sounds pretty intriguing.
Quote:
Besse is one of the most dangerous players in the state when the puck is on his stick, demonstrating great puck management skills while operating in the offensive zone. Besse can seemingly always find an opening, making opposing defenders pay the price for any coverage mistakes they may have made.

Besse has made great strides in tightening up his defensive game and should continue to improve as he gets more experienced. Besse does not have overwhelming speed but is an adequate skater. The same can be said for his shot, it is not the hardest but he can pick corners and releases it for many different angles. Besse has worked hard to include a physical side into his game, something he will have to utilize at the next level.
http://mnhockeyprospects.com/2012-nh...s/grant-besse/

Old
01-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Is Barber related to ex-NHL'er Don Barber?

Old
01-15-2012, 01:52 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Is Barber related to ex-NHL'er Don Barber?
He is. Riley is his son.

His Dad did an article last year about wanting Riley to play in the OHL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...srbarber200710

Old
01-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Ched Brosky

Ludvig Bystrom is someone i'm hoping falls into the Nucks lap hopefully in the 2nd but his stock has been rising fast and he might be available late in the 1st.

Now ranked 8th amongst Euro prospects, his scouting report says he is above average offensively and plays a solid defensive game like Edler, occasionally throwing a big hit.

Swedish fans whom have seen him play on this boards compare him to Enstrom and say his offense is under rated although he does not have a booming shot.

The last 2 times I really wanted the Canucks to draft Swedish defence-man both were high rising talents one ended up rising from mid rounds projections I believe at the start of his draft year to 15th overall (Erik Karlsson) the other moved up into a top 5 pick (OEL).
Other than those 2 d-men the last time I wanted the Nucks to draft a defence-man i was hoping they would trade down from 10 to about 15 so they could pick up a good asset as well as draft Tyler Myers. Although he ended up going at 12 so that would have been a fail hahaha and that Hodgson kid is working out terrific!

Old
01-15-2012, 03:21 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Tom Wilson of the Plymouth Whalers could be interesting as well. In the mold of the next Milan Lucic, 6'4, hits, fights, not a ton of points yet 16 in 31 games but he is on a deep Whalers team and isn't getting top minutes.
Here's a writeup from the Whalers website on him:
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/roster/show/id/6761
Quote:
Considered the same as a first-round pick in his OHL Draft class, Wilson is a prototypical power forward type who doesn’t shy away from the physical side of the game. After playing just 28 games last year through the first half of last season (scoring three goals with three assists), Wilson missed the rest of the year with a wrist injury suffered in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge while playing for Team Canada. He’s back this season healthy and playing a regular shift.

Intelligent in the classroom, Wilson was named the OHL’s Academic Player of the West Division for Oct. 2010 last season. He’s taken younger players like Mitchell Dempsey, Matt Mistele and Danny Vanderwiel under his wing this year, driving them to and from school at the Plymouth-Canton Education Park and to practice.
Seems like a pretty good character guy.

Here's also a Q & A with him from Yahoo (i know, weird!!)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-wp3699

Old
01-15-2012, 03:27 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

One other thing I'd like to add is that drafting from the QMJHL seems like a useless endeavor for the Canucks considering their scouting for that league is atrocious.

Old
01-15-2012, 03:30 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Drafting Morgan Reilly would be cool. or if we could pick up Royals C Steven Hodges in the later rounds. Both Delta natives.
Despite his injury, Reilly is currently ranked 5th in Central Scouting.

Wont be getting him.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Here's a writeup from the Whalers website on him:
http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/roster/show/id/6761

Seems like a pretty good character guy.

Could turn into a real gem.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:31 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
Could turn into a real gem.
Currently Ranked at 33 in the mid season rankings.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
thefeebster

Quote:

What's wrong with Yahoo? Buzzing the net is perhaps the best prospects blog as Kirk of BruinsDraftWatch stopped doing his. I check this blog every day, at least a few updates a day and they tell you news across all 3 CHL leagues with links to newspapers or articles. Highly recommended for those interested in prospects.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Depending on where Tampa Bay ends up finishing this year, I could see Gillis trading Schneider at the draft for their first rounder.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
Depending on where Tampa Bay ends up finishing this year, I could see Gillis trading Schneider at the draft for their first rounder.
If Tampa keep playing like they are right now, I can't see them trading their 1st rounder. Yzerman has to be really high on Schneider to trade him for a top 5 pick.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
BerSTUzzi

Another interesting nasty piece of work with skill is Lukas Sutter of the Saskatoon Blades. He has really started to pick up his scoring play since the start of Dec (2 G 2 A last night against Prince Albert).

6'1 202
Center
19 Goals, 22 Assists and 106 PIM

Here is an article on him, he is Rich Sutter's son.

http://dansallows.com/interview-lukas-sutter/

Last edited by BerSTUzzi: 01-16-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Sissions please

Old
01-16-2012, 01:59 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
What's wrong with Yahoo? Buzzing the net is perhaps the best prospects blog as Kirk of BruinsDraftWatch stopped doing his. I check this blog every day, at least a few updates a day and they tell you news across all 3 CHL leagues with links to newspapers or articles. Highly recommended for those interested in prospects.
I guess the problem is that I always relate it to "Puck Daddy" which I cant stand.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

I want Koekkoek because his name is cool, seriously I want that guy from Vancouver who's name I'm too drunk to remember

Old
01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Ludvig Bystrom is someone i'm hoping falls into the Nucks lap hopefully in the 2nd but his stock has been rising fast and he might be available late in the 1st.

Now ranked 8th amongst Euro prospects, his scouting report says he is above average offensively and plays a solid defensive game like Edler, occasionally throwing a big hit.

Swedish fans whom have seen him play on this boards compare him to Enstrom and say his offense is under rated although he does not have a booming shot.

The last 2 times I really wanted the Canucks to draft Swedish defence-man both were high rising talents one ended up rising from mid rounds projections I believe at the start of his draft year to 15th overall (Erik Karlsson) the other moved up into a top 5 pick (OEL).
Other than those 2 d-men the last time I wanted the Nucks to draft a defence-man i was hoping they would trade down from 10 to about 15 so they could pick up a good asset as well as draft Tyler Myers. Although he ended up going at 12 so that would have been a fail hahaha and that Hodgson kid is working out terrific!
I cant seem to find anything of a substance about him.

From what I've read, he seems like Jonas Brodin, who rose all the way to 10th overall in his draft year.

I've seen a few mocks with him headed to the Canucks. I honestly know nothing about him other than he is Swedish and average sized.

Who knows, like you've said we've seen Swedish defensive prospects (forwards too) rise in the latter half of the season to cement first round and top 15 spots.

If anyone has found anything written about him, could you link it in here?

Quote:
One other thing I'd like to add is that drafting from the QMJHL seems like a useless endeavor for the Canucks considering their scouting for that league is atrocious.
I think Sauve has potential and Polasek with development could be a decent pick, but I'd agree...way too many picks over the years with no impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Another interesting nasty piece of work with skill is Lukas Sutter of the Saskatoon Blades. He has really started to pick up his scoring play since the start of Dec (2 G 2 A last night against Prince Albert).

6'1 202
Center
19 Goals, 22 Assists and 106 PIM

Here is an article on him, he is Rich Sutter's son.

http://dansallows.com/interview-lukas-sutter/
I'd sure like us to start drafting this type of player in the mid to late rounds.

It seems every year the Blackhawks are grabbing these types. Guys with good tools offensively but play mean...Andrew Shaw, Kevin Hayes, Saad, etc

We need to start getting guys who can play the 'gritty' game, I dont mean fights, I mean chip and chase with heavy forchecking, and never giving up on a chance to finish a hit.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
crazycanuck

Craig Button's midseason list was updated today:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Nick Ebert at 56, this kid was a top half 1st rd pick before he got injured.

Slater Koekkoek was rising up the ranks before his injury as well is at 29.

And a name that I'd like to see in a Canucks jersey just because of 90's wrestling...
D. Severson (Damon) is at 30.

Closed Thread