HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Dawes (for the big club)

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2004, 12:25 AM
NYRangers

vCash: 500
Rangers sign Dawes (for the big club)

NYR.com Dawes was signed. Since he cant play in hartford hes coming to the big club. Dont say 'oh he looked bad in 4 games at hartford'. If we judged people by 4 games itd be a mess. Lets give this 5-8 kid a shot~

Old
09-02-2004, 12:28 AM
filthy#20

i like what renney is doing. good to see the boy get a chance

Old
09-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Edge

I doubt he's penciled in for the big club, more than likely he goes down to juniors even with a contract {Rangers did the same thing with Lundmark and Brendl in 99}. What it essentially does is serve as an insurance policy.

Now they dont have to worry about him having a monster year in juniors and then losing him for nothing and it also ends any possibilities of him escaping via a new labor agreement.

Dawes will get a look for sure, but my money is that NHL or not he's heading back to juniors for one more year. I really do not believe he is ready for the NHL, at least not from what i saw. I love the kid to death, but he's gonna need more time.

Old
09-02-2004, 12:34 AM
NYRangers

Why would they sign him otherwise? Those two were first rd picks but why give a 6th (?) rd pick money to play for a junior team?

Old
09-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Edge

So that pick doesn't re-enter the draft if he has a monster junior year and because you already like him.

If they like Dawes enough, paying him $40,000 to play in juniors is a lot better than being held Ransom if he tears up the preseason.

A signing like this REALLY isn't a rare thing for clubs that actually have some depth....which {gasp} this team might actually be turning into.

What this means is that IF Dawes makes the team, there is no last minute contract to work out. If he doesn't, he goes back to juniors gets paid a minimal amount of money and comes in next season to Hartford with a contract already in place.

And as stated it also means that if Dawes stock continues to rise he wont re-enter the draft.

Think of it like the stock market. Sometimes you buy early in the hopes the stock continues to go up. Sometimes the opposite happens. But the Rangers probably felt the kid was worth the risk.

Old
09-02-2004, 01:42 AM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Dont say 'oh he looked bad in 4 games at hartford'. If we judged people by 4 games itd be a mess.
The same can be said about playing 4 games with the Rangers.

Old
09-02-2004, 03:58 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Watched most of team Canada's junior camp in CGY during August. Nigel Dawes can play on my team any time he wants to.

Dawes gets a from me. Good signing. Also saw Sather there, first time I ever saw him in person. He's short. (Didn't know that).

Old
09-02-2004, 05:40 AM
melisa

Dawes has the goods. I expect him to surprise and make the team.

Old
09-02-2004, 07:01 AM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Dawes will get a look for sure, but my money is that NHL or not he's heading back to juniors for one more year. I really do not believe he is ready for the NHL, at least not from what i saw. I love the kid to death, but he's gonna need more time.
Whats the difference between Dawes and Liffiton? Liffiton turns 20 in December and is allowed to play in the AHL. Dawes turns 20 a few months later, like February, I believe. Is the rule that in order to play in the AHL, Junior players have to turn 20 before the new year?

Or is it, the guys that turn 20 during the year, whether its December or April?

Old
09-02-2004, 07:20 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
Whats the difference between Dawes and Liffiton? Liffiton turns 20 in December and is allowed to play in the AHL. Dawes turns 20 a few months later, like February, I believe. Is the rule that in order to play in the AHL, Junior players have to turn 20 before the new year?

Or is it, the guys that turn 20 during the year, whether its December or April?
The agreement between the NHL and the CHL goes by year of birth. So a 1984 birthday is considered 20 years old (ex. David Liffiton 10/18/84) even if they are 19 at the start of the season. A 1985 birthday is considered 19 years old for the entire season until the players teams season is over, be it regular season or playoffs.

So by this rule, Liffiton is eligible for Hartford for the season and Dawes is not. But as soon as Dawes' season is over, he may play for Hartford.

Old
09-02-2004, 07:22 AM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
The agreement between the NHL and the CHL goes by year of birth. So a 1984 birthday is considered 20 years old (ex. David Liffiton 10/18/84) even if they are 19 at the start of the season. A 1985 birthday is considered 19 years old for the entire season until the players teams season is over, be it regular season or playoffs.

So by this rule, Liffiton is eligible for Hartford for the season and Dawes is not. But as soon as Dawes' season is over, he may play for Hartford.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Old
09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

I don't expect to see him with the 'big' team this season. I'm betting he'll be back in Kootenay. They simply wanted to lock him up now.

Old
09-02-2004, 08:17 AM
JJ68NYR

It'd would be pretty damm unbelievable if all the sudden dawes just emerged out of the pact and stayed with the big club playing second line this yr when ever the season starts.

This is a great move by the Rangers. It seems as though sather is signing all his best prospects.(Helminen, Taylor, Liffiton, Dawes)

Whats going on with Jessiman? The looks ready and bigger than last yr, its time to sign him.

Old
09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
melisa

"It'd would be pretty damm unbelievable if all the sudden dawes just emerged out of the pact and stayed with the big club playing second line this yr when ever the season starts"

I wouldn't be that surprised. The kid has dominated everywhere he has played. He dominated against the best players around his age at the world's. He should have won the MVP.

Old
09-02-2004, 09:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa
"It'd would be pretty damm unbelievable if all the sudden dawes just emerged out of the pact and stayed with the big club playing second line this yr when ever the season starts"

I wouldn't be that surprised. The kid has dominated everywhere he has played. He dominated against the best players around his age at the world's. He should have won the MVP.
That and a Metrocard will get him on the Subway. He's not going to be playing against kids his age. He's going to be playing against grown men.

I like Dawes but his size, or lack thereof, is going to be an issue.

Old
09-02-2004, 09:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Nigel Dawes had a monster WJC, he was one of Canada's best players and was near the top in scoring, if not #1

Old
09-02-2004, 10:04 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa
And that means what? Daigle was a monster juniors player, so was Putty Toms. The "everywhere" he has played refers strictly to juniors. When he was with Hartford last year, he showed that he was not ready for the AHL. I would love for the kid to make it, but the truth of the matter is that the deck is stacked against players like him and Prucha to begin with.
Dawes, due to his size issues, also has strength issues, and has not shown any aptitude to be able to play defense. Defense and backchecking can be taught, but his size issued are major concerns. As Singin' correctly points out it is one thing to paly well in juniors against teen-agers, but it is quite another to even play at the AHL level against men.

Old
09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Ocelot

Quote:
NYR.com Dawes was signed. Since he cant play in hartford hes coming to the big club. Dont say 'oh he looked bad in 4 games at hartford'. If we judged people by 4 games itd be a mess. Lets give this 5-8 kid a shot~

I don't think they are just going to bring him into the NHL. I'm sure he will play a year in Hardford and then go from there.

Old
09-02-2004, 01:13 PM
JJ68NYR

I think he should play 2nd line LWer and see how he does and if he does bad we'll just send back to juniors.

You guys talk about size look at St.Louis, York, Fleury to name a few. Small guys can make if there good enough and this guy has got and so does Prucha. The question and answer with Dwight Helminen on this site was not the first person i heard from that said Dawes has phenominal hands with the puck. Helminen said he did and so did many scouts and analysts. Yes size is an issue but if he's good enough he'll make it.

Old
09-02-2004, 01:38 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
IYou guys talk about size look at St.Louis, York, Fleury to name a few.
It's not to name a few, it's to name the few only. During's Fleury's time, how many of him were there? Sure, now you got St. Louis, Yorkie, Tanguy, Hedjuk, & Gionta. But aside from the, there are just not that many really small guys that play on the top 2 lines. Heck, even Elias is 6', 195 lbs.
Very small guys CAN make it, but it requires an extraordinary set of wheels, a nice shot, a willingness to be able to be hit, and prove that you can take the pounding.

In his time in juniors, Dawes has not really proved that he can take the pounding. He had a pretty unimpressive prospects camp. And now you just want to hand him a 2nd line spot? Excuse me, but what has he done to either 1) earn it or 2) show that he can handle it?
You cannot just go into a season saying that "we'll just hand someone a top 6 forward spot and if he does not work out, we'll just send him back to juniors". Whom are you going to get to plug into said spot if the experiment fails? Jed Ortmeyer?

Old
09-02-2004, 08:24 PM
NYRangers

Rangers list him as 5-8 but I'd bet its at least 5-7....they always bump guys up.

Old
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
It's not to name a few, it's to name the few only. During's Fleury's time, how many of him were there? Sure, now you got St. Louis, Yorkie, Tanguy, Hedjuk, & Gionta. But aside from the, there are just not that many really small guys that play on the top 2 lines. Heck, even Elias is 6', 195 lbs.
Very small guys CAN make it, but it requires an extraordinary set of wheels, a nice shot, a willingness to be able to be hit, and prove that you can take the pounding.
And even with that we have to look at York's inability to stay healthy in the second half of ANY NHL season.

And even guys like Tanguay and Hedjuk are more in the 6'0, 190 pound range.

When you start getting into the 5'7, 5'8 range its just not as sure of a thing.

I agree with TrueBlue, he's got some areas to work on before this team can take a chance.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
Bob Froese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
I think he should play 2nd line LWer and see how he does and if he does bad we'll just send back to juniors.

You guys talk about size look at St.Louis, York, Fleury to name a few. Small guys can make if there good enough and this guy has got and so does Prucha. The question and answer with Dwight Helminen on this site was not the first person i heard from that said Dawes has phenominal hands with the puck. Helminen said he did and so did many scouts and analysts. Yes size is an issue but if he's good enough he'll make it.
dont forget brian gionta he is like 5-8 or 5-9, he puts in a good 20 gfoals a seasoin,wouldnt mind seeing the kid get some time on the lw of the1 st or second line see what he got , if he is ready hes a keeper if not goes back to juniors then hrtfd then hopefully the nhl.

Old
09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Why would they sign him otherwise? Those two were first rd picks but why give a 6th (?) rd pick money to play for a junior team?
rangers won't pay him while he is playing in juniors...just the signing bonus and the time that he is up with the rangers/hartford...

if he was sent back without a deal then he would have had to be signed by june 1, 2005 to keep his draft rights (assuming of course that those rules don't change under the new cba) so this simply takes care of that issue

Old
09-07-2004, 10:51 AM
neg marron

dawes is for real

Quote:
this kid was the most dominant player at the wjc for canada in halifax and should dominate again in north dakota he played with guys that were bigger than him by far guys like anthony stewart of florida 6ft3 245 he stole the spotlight from crosby at the wjc but in fairness crosby was used wrong by canada

i would love to see at this year's wjc canada have a power play unit with crosby, stewart and dawes that would be special

Closed Thread