HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Is it too early to say we need a new coach?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

vCash: 500
Is it too early to say we need a new coach?

What is the problem? Please anyone? HELP!

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
TragicallySabres

Ridiculous.

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicallySabres View Post
Ridiculous.
What is the Sabres coaching?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Really? This thread is really happening? Wow.

Yes, it's too early to say the Buffalo Sabres need a new coach.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:53 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Identify one SPECIFIC coaching strategy or decision that you feel Ruff is doing wrong. Don't give me 'not getting them ready to play', because that's 100% on the players.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Clock

Buffalo is 6 and 5 after a non-trivial offseason shakeup. Back away from the ledge.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Really? This thread is really happening? Wow.

Yes, it's too early to say the Buffalo Sabres need a new coach.
What do the Sabres need to start winning consistently?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
number72

Yes. This team is going to playoffs. If they get eliminated in the first round again then it is worthy of a serious look.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Identify one SPECIFIC coaching strategy or decision that you feel Ruff is doing wrong. Don't give me 'not getting them ready to play', because that's 100% on the players.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
Maybe its not on the players. He is doing a pretty poor job right now. All the line shuffling bs. His team effort is always flat to start the games.

Last edited by Clock: 11-03-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old
11-03-2011, 10:08 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Quote:

Go ahead. I'll wait.
Maybe its not on the players. He is doing a pretty poor job right now. All the line shuffling bs. His team effort is always flat to start the games.

All??? So all 11 games he's shuffled all the lines? Not quite.

Always flat??? So every game so far, the Sabres have played "flat" to start the 11 games? Not quite.

Last edited by Clock: 11-03-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes.
ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:14 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
All??? So all 11 games he's shuffled all the lines? Not quite.

Always flat??? So every game so far, the Sabres have played "flat" to start the 11 games? Not quite.
So what is your answer to the Sabres to pick it up and start winning again? Should we wait until mid season when we are in 9th or 10th place in the conference?

Last edited by Clock: 11-03-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixed the quotes. Again.
Old
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Line shuffling : every coach in the league shuffles lines. Lindy Ruff is not unique in this regard.

If you've noticed, Ruff finds lines that work well. Then he tries other combinations that could also work well. When things are going bad, he then falls back to the lines that he KNOWS will work. This is the sign of a GOOD coach.

Old
5 Minute Major

Quote:

Go ahead. I'll wait.
While I am not on the fire Lindy bandwagon, you can say what you did about any coach that gets fired or deserves to be fired.

Ultimately, the players performance is what keeps a coach employed or gets them canned.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Buffalo is 6 and 5 after a non-trivial offseason shakeup. Back away from the ledge.
I agree.

It's not coaching, it's the players at the moment. It takes time for guys to gel. The D has two new faces in the top 4. It's going to take time to see who plays best with who.

The forwards are a mess other than Captain and Van. Guys are slumping. Guys are trying to do too much.

The only mistake Ruff has made thus far is his usual line juggling. It wasn't too bad when it was mixing up guys who were all familiar with each other from years of being team mates. It's a different story when you've got new faces in there. It's almost to the point where nobody really knows who their linemates will be next shift, let alone have the time to get into a rhythm as a line. Based on his comments last night it seems that Lindy realises this fact.

All that being said, the Sabres are above .500 and have been in every game they've played. Including coming back last night after being smashed 3-0 early. Hell, as mediocre and inconsistent this team has looked at times they could be 7-4(FLA L) or even 8-3(FLA L, 2nd TB L) with a little better luck.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
barcs

I wouldn't say it's too soon. 2nd longest tenured coach in American major pro sports and he's delivered a whopping 1 finals appearance.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Line shuffling : every coach in the league shuffles lines. Lindy Ruff is not unique in this regard.

If you've noticed, Ruff finds lines that work well. Then he tries other combinations that could also work well. When things are going bad, he then falls back to the lines that he KNOWS will work. This is the sign of a GOOD coach.
I hope your right. I love the Sabres. I just want to see them doing better then what they are right now. Philly had one of the major team shuffles in the league. They look pretty good.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

The only coaching/strategy issue you can really pin on Ruff is the inability to beat the 1-3-1. It's been pretty well known that the Sabres can't figure out how to beat it for a long time now. Philly used it last night after going up 3-0. They had pretty much zero offense after the first five minutes of the game and with two and a half periods the Sabres still couldn't figure out a way to effectively beat the 1-3-1 to tie it.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The only coaching/strategy issue you can really pin on Ruff is the inability to beat the 1-3-1. It's been pretty well known that the Sabres can't figure out how to beat it for a long time now. Philly used it last night after going up 3-0. They had pretty much zero offense after the first five minutes of the game and with two and a half periods the Sabres still couldn't figure out a way to effectively beat the 1-3-1 to tie it.
Didn't Tampa use that to?

Old
11-03-2011, 10:35 AM
puckish66

Yes, too early. 11 games is too small a sample size to evaluate Ruff.

Lindy's like that walker hanging in the tree on The Walking Dead. Minus the arrow. There's never an arrow with this guy.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Lindy is a good coach, the players are simply not playing well. As pissed off as I am right now, I figure this team needs some time to work out it's chemistry issues. Leino and Ehrhoff are huge parts of the team, and once they start fitting in, we'll be fine.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:56 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Buffalo outshot Philly 2:1 after the first period. They broke the trap just fine. They just played sloppy and didn't execute.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
omglolnub

even with the new faces, the defense first, goals by committee philosophy/strategy of the team (Ruff) and the player selection of mainly undersized forwards (Regier) hasn't changed in well over a decade. Yeah, it got the one finals appearance, but that's cause a legendary goalie basically dragged them there (and still lost, and Miller is a level or two below that guy), but since then, mostly first round bounces.

the organization has had its change of scenery and new way of thinking in the front office with Pegula coming to town. The team plays well enough in the regular season with their strategy, but are never built for the grind of the playoffs. I guess that was alright under the old, cost cutting owner, but I thought the team's moved on from that line of thinking. It's time for the team makeup and coaching strategy to do the same, especially when it hasn't been working that well.

note: the play of Vanek and Pommers so far this year is an abherration from the usual everyone scores 15 goals approach. I'm mainly talking about the last 15 years, in general.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Lindy is a good coach, the players are simply not playing well. As pissed off as I am right now, I figure this team needs some time to work out it's chemistry issues. Leino and Ehrhoff are huge parts of the team, and once they start fitting in, we'll be fine.
Then what makes him a good coach?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I think I remember Pegula saying he wouldn't panic if the team got off to a slow start....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Wayyyyy too early, buddy.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote