HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So when did you realize you were too bad to make it?

Old
10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Passchendaele

vCash: 500
So when did you realize you were too bad to make it?

At what age did you stop playing competitive hockey?
How far did you make it?
How hard was it for you to accept the fact that you weren't good enough to make it pro?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
How far did you make it?
How hard was it for you to accept the fact that you weren't good enough to make it pro?
Never played competitive, was pretty good at high school floor hockey and terrible at ice. Thought I'd make the NHl some day or at least the woman's team though.

I think I was about 25 when I realized that my terrible skills weren't improving.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
How far did you make it?
I think you've been around here long enough to know that threads like these never make it...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
jarude*
Scorched Earth 11/12

cut from triple A at age 11

jarude* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
alanschu

For hockey, 6 or so haha (I couldn't skate worth a lick).

Though for basketball, which I was pretty decent at, probably 16 or so. Mostly because I learned just how much work it was going to take and I didn't want to put it in

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:14 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
5. I was told that unless you were the best in your city, you weren't making it.

But as for the age that I actually stopped; 15.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

When I looked in the mirror.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Kulluminati

Highest level of play for me was bantam AA, played midget A then stopped when i was 17.

I was pretty sad when i was 14 cause i failed to make the AAA team, but eventually learned the statistical probability of making it to the NHL was like winning the lottery and felt better.

Watching 24/7 makes me insanely envious/jealous at the NHL-pro lifestyle.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
The very moment that I started playing, basically.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I played college hockey. With and against guys who have been drafted (class of 2009). I knew I never had a shot though, by 15 or so. I was just a role player. Third/fourth line and played on the third d-pairing a few times as well. Also was a scratch a healthy amount.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Last month but I'm hoping this flat bottom V sharpening I got last night puts me back on track

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Dallas Stars
Rookie User

I was too much of a sieve... and it was too late for me to play out lol

Dallas Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Flyerfan808

I played competitvely since I was 9 in North Dakota. I played Peewee, Bantams, Midgets, and High School Team. I was undersized at 5'-9", but I was one of the highest scoring wingers in the state. In my junior year we won the state championship, and my bantam team was invited to a summer tournament in Winnipeg. I knew if I played well, and my team played well, that I would have a shot at an academic scholarship. As luck would have it, I would have none. In my first game I got drilled from behind and suffered a pretty bad concussion. I recovered slowly, missed my entire senior season for HS and my final season in midgets. That fall I watched my HS team win state, and my midgets team took second in the state. In the spring I got all my academic scholarships back in the mail... all denied. It was at that moment, I knew that my window of opportunity was gone. I would never play hockey again competitively. I took it pretty bad.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I played competitvely since I was 9 in North Dakota. I played Peewee, Bantams, Midgets, and High School Team. I was undersized at 5'-9", but I was one of the highest scoring wingers in the state. In my junior year we won the state championship, and my bantam team was invited to a summer tournament in Winnipeg. I knew if I played well, and my team played well, that I would have a shot at an academic scholarship. As luck would have it, I would have none. In my first game I got drilled from behind and suffered a pretty bad concussion. I recovered slowly, missed my entire senior season for HS and my final season in midgets. That fall I watched my HS team win state, and my midgets team took second in the state. In the spring I got all my academic scholarships back in the mail... all denied. It was at that moment, I knew that my window of opportunity was gone. I would never play hockey again competitively. I took it pretty bad.
Jesus dude that ****ing sucks!!!

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

I stopped playing competitively around 20. I spent a couple years playing in college, but I guess I'd have to say I realized I didn't have what it took around 18.

In the leagues I played in as a kid, I was always one of the best. But as I got older, the less-serious and less-talented kids got weeded out. I went from dominating as an eight-year-old, to being amazing in my early teens, to being really good in my late teens, and then I got to college. I couldn't believe how fast, talented, and physical everyone was. I ended up getting relegated to 3rd/4th line and PK duty. I was fast and smart, but in the end, didn't have the size or strength to make it any farther.

The Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
mbhhofr

I played on two championship teams when I was 12 and 13 years old. I was the smallest guy on those teams. When I was 14 years old I tried out for the Bantam Team and didn't make it. That was the end of my playing career. I took up refereeing that year. Even tho I was always told that I was too small, I made it to pro hockey when I was 19. I eventually made it to the NHL for a cup of coffee as a Linesman. What I learned from my experience is, never give up on your dreams.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I played on two championship teams when I was 12 and 13 years old. I was the smallest guy on those teams. When I was 14 years old I tried out for the Bantam Team and didn't make it. That was the end of my playing career. I took up refereeing that year. Even tho I was always told that I was too small, I made it to pro hockey when I was 19. I eventually made it to the NHL for a cup of coffee as a Linesman. What I learned from my experience is, never give up on your dreams.
Congrats, what was it like lining an NHL game?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

didn't like several kids on our HS team (they didn't like me either), so I never played in HS.

That pretty much slammed the door shut for the .000000001% chance I had at an NHL career.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Congrats, what was it like lining an NHL game?
I had a tryout when it was the original six teams and over the years, I worked a couple of pre-season games. I got to work a regular season game in an emergency situation. Blackhawks at North Stars. Went down to the dressing room to say hello to the guys who were working the game. I walked into the room and was told to get my equipment because the Referee was stuck back east in a snow storm. They had tried calling me, but I wasn't home. I usually had my equipment in my car, however, I worked a college game the night before and was drying out my stuff. I didn't have it with me. Fortunately I lived ten minutes from the rink and went home to get it. By the time I got back, the game had started and I dressed as fast as I could and got onto the ice five minutes after the game had started. No prep time and all eyes were on me as I skated out. We went over a few things and started the game up. Everything went good. In fact, skating around the rink before the start of the third period, The Chicago captain, Pat Stapelton, skated up to me and told me that I was doing a good job. That made me feel good and took some pressure off of me. Even had to break up a fight.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I was always the worst player on every sports team I'd ever been on but my folks made me play anyways. They finally let me quit at 12.

At 22 I actually WANTED to play and kind of wish I'd have had that same passion when I was young.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Islanderfan17

Unfortunately, I got into hockey at way too late of an age to really start. I developed a passion for hockey in 11th grade and started playing floor hockey at school. I got pretty good at floor hockey pretty quickly, joined a dek league and have been playing for about two years now. It's not a high end league or anything, but I am pretty good and for what it's worth I've been on three championship teams (Two being in the top division). In high school I wrestled, was captain in my senior year, and even though I knew I wanted to get into ice hockey I also knew how hard I had worked at developing as a wrestler so I finished out wrestling in high school and had a successful senior year.

It does suck though, if I could go back in time I'd have told my parents at the youngest age possible to get me ice skating lessons and get me on a team. Oh well, this happens to everyone in life. We all wish we could be things that we, realistically, don't have much of a chance of being when the window of opportunity passes. I'm just happy that I play some form of hockey, it's just a sport I love and I know in the future I will get skating lessons and start out in a lower level ice hockey league for adults to develop my game.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote