HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pekka Rinne -- SIGNED -- 7 years / $49 million

Old
11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Nothing new to add, just wanted to quote this because I still feel this way

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Hmm, seems like it's part of Poile's brand to include a NTC, everybody gets them.

As for Suter's comments, they weren't exactly ringing endorsements (We're on the team right now, if we play well....).

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Hmm, seems like it's part of Poile's brand to include a NTC, everybody gets them.

As for Suter's comments, they weren't exactly ringing endorsements (We're on the team right now, if we play well....).
Players who make long term commitments to any team will usually want some commitment from the team, too. Beyond just money. A NTC/NMC is a good way to get that commitment

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Congratulations to Pekka! The very first thing I thought was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbsC7xhkco

Might not make sense to non-Finnish speakers, but that's a legendary song here with title "Seven Times Seven" (has absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but still).

As for the contract itself, I think 7 million is not too much if the level stays where it has been. The problem there becomes when you check other players that have signed huge contracts, you can easily see they are no more where they were supposed to be. Kovalchuk and Luongo comes to my mind as first ones. Even Ovechkin. And it makes sense - why would you give your all once someone gives you like 50-100 million and guarantees your job for 7-17 years?

Let's hope Rinne just wants to play, no matter how much he is paid.

edit. Clearly Pekka agreed with me, no need to try anymore: 35 saves, first star and a shutout.

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie: 11-03-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:21 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Congratulations to Pekka! The very first thing I thought was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbsC7xhkco

Might not make sense to non-Finnish speakers, but that's a legendary song here with title "Seven Times Seven" (has absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but still).

As for the contract itself, I think 7 million is not too much if the level stays where it has been. The problem there becomes when you check other players that have signed huge contracts, you can easily see they are no more where they were supposed to be. Kovalchuk and Luongo comes to my mind as first ones. Even Ovechkin. And it makes sense - why would you give your all once someone gives you like 50-100 million and guarantees your job for 7-17 years?

Let's hope Rinne just wants to play, no matter how much he is paid.

edit. Clearly Pekka agreed with me, no need to try anymore: 35 saves, first star and a shutout.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:23 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It is pricey, but unlike the Bryzgalov and Luongo lifetime contracts, it ends at a reasonable age for Rinne. Additionally, Rinne isn't just a good goaltender. He is the best goalie in the league. He has scary abilities.
On the flip-side, I don't think anyone is under any impression Luongo or Bryzgalov will be expected to play the full length of the deals, at least with Luongo, it was pure cap circumvention. I know with Nashville it's not a problem right now, but it would have been nice if there was that flexibility built in. Getting Luongo for the equivalent of $5.3 million provides good cap value, and he will retire before he declines too far, or the team will simply send him to the minors and eat the salary if he doesn't "do the right thing".

Seven years is a long time, and it's conceivable that sometime within that timeframe, Nashville may find itself spending to the cap, either because the market has grown, or because ownership is loading up for a Cup run and is willing to eat the losses for a real deal run. That's where it would've been nice to have some space built in. Frankly I think Rinne is either the best, or maybe second to Lundqvist on any given day, and is certainly worth the money, but like many, I was surprised it cost this much. If it had to be, then a cap circumvention deal would have been nice. But failing that, it's still better than the alternative, and great to see Nashville has the foundation of a competitive team for near-on a decade.

Congrats.

Last edited by MarkMM: 11-04-2011 at 01:37 AM.
MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:27 AM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Yeah, because Lu's working out so well this season.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

2 points to this. Yes, 7 million is a lot right now but the contract is paid in dollars which is going to have a terrible inflationary period during the contract. 2 Radulov is coming back. Even if he doesn't, Craig Smith makes it moot and they both will be paid less than 1 million

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:11 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Congrats to Pekka!!

He very much deserves this!! More than I thought he would get, but great to get him signed. And to see the ownership saying the money is there for all three! I did worry that this would make it difficult to sign both Weber and Suter. But at the same time I hope Weber/Suter are seeing the commitment to the team by the owners/management.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:28 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Congratulations on a great signing, out of the big 3 Rinne is undoubtedly the most important piece to your team. 1) you build from the goal out. 2) at this point in time Rinne is the best goalie in the league. Suter has to be your next priority how can you take the chance of losing him for nothing without knowing for sure whether or not Weber has any intention of resigning whatever the cap hit.

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think this is the sort of contract Preds fans wished we could've afforded when Vokoun was due to resign.
I don't understand your reference. Vokoun was signed to a four year $22.8 million extension before he was traded. The trade was around Liarpold trying to reduce payroll after that. Vokoun was locked up for four-five years when he was traded.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:48 AM
ALee10

Congratulations to the Nashville Predators and all the Predators fans. Rinne is a great goalie and hopefully you can lock up both Weber and Suter and keep a great, hard-working team going.

ALee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
When you trade for a players negotiating rights you have till the FA period begins to sign that player and it is usually speled out in the trade that you get up to said date to sign said player or the trade is nullified that is pretty common knowledge. Also when just trading for a players rights the return is usually not as great as a straight up trade for the player.

Look at the SK trade the HABS sent SK and a pick and we got Ellis and Boyd. We had till x date to sign them if we did then the pick went along with SK if we didn't then the 4th rounder did not accompany SK. There are stipulations like that in most trades when trading for negotiating rights.
Let's take a step back and apply this to the Weber situation as your discussion and examples are either too vague or irrelevant (RFAs v. UFAs). Toronto, if they acquired Weber via trade on March 31, 2012, would assume the same rights as Nashville. Weber would be contracted through the '11/'12 season, restricted until July 1, 2013, and required to be signed by December 1, 2012, or he'd be ineligible to compete in the '12/'13 season. That's the fact pattern I'm working with. Honest question, is reality any different?

I'm struggling to see how a trade of Weber to another team either during the current trade window of during the offseason would result in a significantly diminished return. You are partially right in your suggestion that teams would be worried they could not sign him long-term or sign him by December 1, 2012. There are plenty of teams that would carry that worry. And there are plenty of teams who would be significantly less concerned about that: Detroit, Toronto, Philly, NYR, etc.

If Vancouver, for example, wanted Weber but devalued him because they were worried they wouldn't be able to sign him long-term, their bid(s) for Weber would be bested by teams that don't share that concern or don't share that level of concern.

Further, how much legitimate risk is there that Weber will hold out in his RFA year? How many star skaters have done this? Yashin is the only one that comes to mind. And he was constantly complaining about his contracts in Ottawa. Peca, another holdout, was nowhere near a star player. Neither one seems a good predictor of Weber's behavior.

You might devalue a player because of the signability risk. But there are simply too many teams with too much cash and too much desire to have Weber to let that devaluation drive the discussion. For every risk averse person like yourself, there's someone on the opposite side who understands the situation in a different way who's willing to take that risk, rightly or wrongly. And those people pay more.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Cigarran with some very positive news this morning on 102.5

Old
11-04-2011, 09:01 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Cigarran with some very positive news this morning on 102.5
What was the news?

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
What was the news?
Yeah...recap please.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:21 AM
sighthndlady

So let's give the poor guy a rest now. I know he played lights out last night, but he can't play 82 games and have anything left for the playoffs. Does Anders get the next start even after the shutout?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
So let's give the poor guy a rest now. I know he played lights out last night, but he can't play 82 games and have anything left for the playoffs. Does Anders get the next start even after the shutout?
Probably not against the Sharks, but there is a back-to-back next week where I'm sure we see Lindback.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
What was the news?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah...recap please.
Well, barrytrotzneck made a thread about it: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1021791

Old
11-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I don't understand your reference. Vokoun was signed to a four year $22.8 million extension before he was traded. The trade was around Liarpold trying to reduce payroll after that. Vokoun was locked up for four-five years when he was traded.
That's the reference. At that time, we were always reducing payroll. Once players got to a certain level of stardom or expense, they were traded away.

I think the cap has helped that some...but what helps even more is not having a cheap ownership group that's looking to cut costs at every corner.

My point is that Preds fans wished they could've gotten a long term deal for Vokoun and known that the ownership would stick with it.

Let's hope Pekka gives us many more years of good service.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The goofs at ESPN talk about the deal and the Preds. Actually pretty good stuff.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7186377

Old
11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Players who make long term commitments to any team will usually want some commitment from the team, too. Beyond just money. A NTC/NMC is a good way to get that commitment
Oh I know why players want one. But it seems like most every Pred gets one (Erat, Leggy, Dumont, etc). Since player salaries are guaranteed, it's a disincentive to grant a NTC, because now they don't have to worry about being traded or moved, no matter how bad they play.

I don't think it really matters in the case of Pekka, because I can tell he's passionate about winning and has always brought an amazing effort. But Dumont and Erat.......

Oh well, I don't think those things are really enforecable anyways. If a team asks a player to waive his NTC, it basically means "we don't want you anymore." Who is going to want to stick around and sit the bench for an organization that doesn't want them anymore. So it's a moot point.

Congrats to Pekka. Yesterday was a good day for Predators.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:37 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post

That whole situation with Vokoun was a blessing in disguise. He will always be one of my all time favorite Preds and at the time it sucked bad. However it paved the road for Peks to get a legit shot and as much as I loved Vokey Pekka is a few levels above Vokoun at his best right now.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That whole situation with Vokoun was a blessing in disguise. He well always be one of my all time favorite Preds and at the time it sucked bad. However it paved the road for Peks to get a legit shot and as much as I loved Vokey Pekka is a few levels above Vokoun at his best right now.
And we wouldn't have Wilson and Spaling if not for that trade. My family is still a little pissed, but they've learned to love Rinne just a much as Vokoun.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's the reference. At that time, we were always reducing payroll. Once players got to a certain level of stardom or expense, they were traded away.

I think the cap has helped that some...but what helps even more is not having a cheap ownership group that's looking to cut costs at every corner.

My point is that Preds fans wished they could've gotten a long term deal for Vokoun and known that the ownership would stick with it.

Let's hope Pekka gives us many more years of good service.
Actually Leipold spent money like a mad man the last few years before his exodus trying to make one last dash for success. He only drastically reduced payroll after he became a lame duck owner.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote