HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Somebody That I Used To Know...

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2011, 04:49 AM
garmonbozia

vCash: 500
I get really nostalgic for pre-CU SWG. I hated the mini overhaul that was the CU, but stuck it out thinking 'no way can they destroy their game like this'...then they came back and destroyed it even worse with the NGE.

I know Bioware isn't SOE. But SWTOR is still Lucasarts and it does seem VERY inline with the post NGE vision of limited 'iconic' classes. Years down the road, and I just don't think I'm over my SWG bitterness enough to give SWTOR a fair chance. Would probably feel better about it had Bioware just made a Mass Effect based MMO instead. Because its Star Wars I think I'll want it to be something it won't ever be...pre-CU SWG.

just thinking about SWG to compose this post has made me angry. I miss my Arti-Archi-Rifle-Wook.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Well friend. You can join me on a SWTOR PVE server in the coming months.

I do understand your gripes with SOE. I played EQ from like 2000 until 2005. The game pretty much shaped my entire adolescent memories. SOE went and ruined that game by trying to compete with modern MMOs by making the game easier which was just a mistake. EQ was designed to be a brutally hard MMO and it should have never changed. DAMN YOU SOE.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:32 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

so....many....acronyms.....

can i buy a vowel?

Old
11-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Lecavilier_4

MMO is typically short for MMORPG which is short for massively multiplayer online role playing game.

EQ stands for EverQuest which was kind of the pioneer of the MMORPG genre.

I have never played Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) so I actually had to google to see what CU and NGE stood for. CU is combat upgrade and NGE is New Game Enhancement. It must have been a time period where they tried to make the game look not so aged *cough*Shadows of Luclin for EQ*cough*.
SOE stands for Sony Online Entertainment which is the people who run both EQ (Everquest) and SWG (Star Wars Galaxies).

PVE is a term used to define player versus environment. Typically for people who like to enjoy the adventure and/or story as opposed to being strictly competitive like in a PVP setting; player versus player.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:08 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

I never really got into MMO's. One of my best friends plays World of Warcraft and I tried the free trial and it was like meh.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
I never really got into MMO's. One of my best friends plays World of Warcraft and I tried the free trial and it was like meh.
They definitely are not for everyone. My roommate in university was also kind of lukewarm on MMOs simply due to the large time investment they take in order to play. The thing that appeals to me is that I like games where I can continue where I left off and it feels like a slow progression and growth.

To other people they much prefer the pick up and play feel of something like a first person shooter, DOTA/HON/LOL (click-fest games), or real time strategy games (Starcraft; the other click-fest genre). These style of games can appeal to a much larger audience because it is very easy to just log in and play for 30 minutes and walk away, whereas with an MMO you typically are going to have to invest anywhere from 2-6 hours in each play session in order to even feel like you are getting anywhere.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:29 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
From the gameplay video I have watched it seems to meet my standards for enjoyment. Quick question, are you a KOTOR fan or just a general MMO fan? It seems like a lot of the KOTOR crowd isn't satisfied, but those MMO fans that are also Star Wars fans are really digging it.
UO, EQ, AC, EQ2, AO, DAOC, WoW, Lineage, AoC, WAR, Rift

If it's an MMO I've played it for the most part. TOR will do fine because it's Star Wars and fanboys of Star Wars will buy it no matter what. WoW is pretty much the standard by which everything else should and will be judged and the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard itself(they're working on it actually, subscriber base has dropped to under 11 million).

Still under NDA for TOR so I can't get into specifics but if you like cutscenes ALL THE TIME, even while doing mundane quests, you'll like TOR. Otherwise, it's nothing new, it's nothing remotely innovative, it's nothing even pretty to look at.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I tried the beta as well..I think it will be a good game but I don't get the MMO feeling, it's more like a co-op game, we will see how it pans out but im not so impressed.

11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
UO, EQ, AC, EQ2, AO, DAOC, WoW, Lineage, AoC, WAR, Rift

If it's an MMO I've played it for the most part. TOR will do fine because it's Star Wars and fanboys of Star Wars will buy it no matter what. WoW is pretty much the standard by which everything else should and will be judged and the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard itself(they're working on it actually, subscriber base has dropped to under 11 million).

Still under NDA for TOR so I can't get into specifics but if you like cutscenes ALL THE TIME, even while doing mundane quests, you'll like TOR. Otherwise, it's nothing new, it's nothing remotely innovative, it's nothing even pretty to look at.
Real CG cutscenes a la Square Enix or lame standard Bioware in game engine cutscenes?

My main complaint about Bioware is that they claim how much "control" you have over your character's progression, and how much your choices matter. I just feel that overall Bioware is an extremely lazy company and I don't think that stigma will escape them with this launch, at least for me.

Their choice systems are always pretty stale. You have three choices: extremely goody-goody, strictly neutral, or hard-ass evil. That is the extent of your choices. I have been hugely critical in the past about Dragon Age and Mass Effect about the lack of REAL cutscenes (this is most likely due to the fact that you get to make a customized characters and a true CG cutscene obviously is not practical). The issue is that their in-game graphics engines are typically overall, poor quality. They are not cutting edge in the pretty factor like lets say a Square Enix or something. I will say that SWTOR seems to be a slight step up from the Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises which is at least some progress.

Bioware also seems to have taken a very lazy route with regards to the playable races in this game. They are all just like slightly modified humans:

• Human - Regular Human.
  • Chiss - Blue Human.
  • Cyborg - Human with small bits of metal on their face.
  • Mirialan - Green Human.
  • Miraluka - Blind Human.
I just feel like there is a ton of interesting species in the Star Wars universe, why not take advantage of them and make them playable species. Instead they chose species where they just have to do like a quick recolor of the skin, or addition of a blindfold, or addition of metal bits, and call it a day.

The other issue with Bioware has been their awful facial animations in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. For a company that focuses so much on dialogue and using this in-game facial animation system, you would think they would try and improve on what they have but they just haven't in the past 4 or so years. SWTOR seems like it is slightly better than previous Bioware games but I will agree that the graphics are definitely not photo-realistic or ground-breaking. The problem with MMOs is that you definitely can't go for a photo-realistic art style for multiple reasons: the game has to be accessible by a huge population of people meaning your graphical requirements need to be low as well as the fact that the game will be played over a lengthy period of time and you need an art style that will still be somewhat appealing three or four years down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about the NDA, there is beta videos on YouTube that have been up for like months. I have been watching beta footage the entire weekend. Oh there is also this site, where anything and everything is posted in one convenient place.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I tried the beta as well..I think it will be a good game but I don't get the MMO feeling, it's more like a co-op game, we will see how it pans out but im not so impressed.
That's too bad. Everyone is going to have to play with me. Especially since all these beta-testers are crawling out of the woodwork.

Old
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Rschmitz

MMO's are fun as long as you can avoid the pitfalls of taking the game too seriously. Once you confuse it for an FPS or an RTS and start to take it competitively, they'll become a time sink and cause you lots of stress.

Old
11-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Blackjack26

I swear to god I can't get that stupid pumped up kicks song out of my head

Old
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
It doesn't get much better than this:

Old
11-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Lecavilier_4

Hey guys. Get your SWTOR Beta keys if you want them.

1. Go to www.ZAM.com and register for a free account.
2. Go to http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=28267.
3. Request a beta code on that site.
4. Redeem that code on www.swtor.com.
5. Profit?

Old
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
It doesn't get much better than this:

God, I hope not.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Hey, so does this thread now count as day care?

Old
11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Hey, so does this thread now count as day care?
It does for me.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Community on hiatus.

Ruh roh.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Community on hiatus.

Ruh roh.
Hold on. 30 Rock went on hiatus for Tina Fey's pregnancy, this might be accommodating their return.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Community on hiatus.

Ruh roh.
Now we can officially have a Community-free OT thread. Excellent.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

While this is not the best timeline, it's also not bad enough to pull out the felt goatees.

Old
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Now we can officially have a Community-free OT thread. Excellent.
Praise SFY

Old
11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Is Skyrim any fun? I like the Fallout games but this is a totally different setting. It's got a lot of hype, just don't know if a casual gamer like myself would like it.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Is Skyrim any fun? I like the Fallout games but this is a totally different setting. It's got a lot of hype, just don't know if a casual gamer like myself would like it.
It's sucked up almost all of my free time over the past 4 days. Total immersion and I've barely touched the main quest. So much better than Oblivion.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
It's sucked up almost all of my free time over the past 4 days. Total immersion and I've barely touched the main quest. So much better than Oblivion.
I haven't gotten it yet. That will probably wait until Christmas, but the recent Fallout and Elder Scrolls games certainly have a lot of things in common. (going back go snowden's question.) I preferred Fallout 3 out of Oblivion/FO3/FO:NV, but that's me. Oblivion and FO3 were both made by Bethesda, so there are certain similarities.

Fallout 3/New Vegas seemed to be built on a modified engine of Oblivion where all the people looked a little too similar and like citizens of the uncanny valley. That's also why FO3, even by the day's standards looked a little rough.

I'd think that like how Bethesda learned from design mistakes in Oblivion, and fixed for Fallout 3, they'd do the same with Skyrim. It's a safe pickup, IMO, and you can adjust the difficulty at any time, so no worries about that.

They're largely the same games, although no VATS in Skyrim. Post-apocalyptic retro-future America vs. fantasy setting. It's what Dragon Age (the first one) is to Mass Effect, but with even more in common as the gameplay is also so similar.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-15-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Closed Thread