HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Hanzal

Old
11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Martin Hanzal

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471691

He's so hot right now!

Who is this guy?! 6'6"...30 hits!...point per game?!?

Roy for Hanzal.

Oops I spelled it wrong in the thread title!! I fail.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

So...was there a legit point to this thread or did you just want to make a Zoolander reference?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

High of 35 points in 4 seasons. If it's just a hot streak, I'll pass. If he really is starting to turn into something special, good luck getting the 'Yotes to trade a 6'6" potential top 6 center.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I've always liked Hanzal, even though he's developed at a slow pace. He is an excellent, 2 way, #2 center. He is very similar to another center I have always wanted: Jarrett Stoll

Would I trade Roy for him?

It's definitely a massive overpayment. But considering the amount of playmaking on the wings, and the complete lack of anyone resembling a defensive presence in the middle who can play top 6 role... I'd definitely consider it, if we could get some icing on the cake (like a 1st rounder or Turris)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So...was there a legit point to this thread or did you just want to make a Zoolander reference?
Roy for Hanzal. It's a trade proposal. Super BIG. Super physical. And capable of putting up AT LEAST Gausted numbers. Making him a worst case scenario, Goose replacement.

He's everything Roy is not, and we have like 12 other Roy type guys.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Hanzal is very, very good but gets very little recognition around the league. I don't know if I'd trade Roy for him but that kind of size with some untapped offensive potential to go with a great defensive game and some physicality? Yeah, those guys don't exactly grow on trees.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Roy for Hanzal. It's a trade proposal. Super BIG. Super physical. And capable of putting up AT LEAST Gausted numbers. Making him a worst case scenario, Goose replacement.

I want a hell of a lot more than that for Roy. Like Jame said, a high first rounder would be on my list as well. Not a fan of Turris.

If we target Phoenix in a trade I'd rather look at Doan than someone who may never develop into anything more than a 3rd line center.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Zip15

I'm a card-carrying member of the Hanzal fan club, and I catch a few games with my old man who's a partial season ticketholder when I go out to visit, but (a) I don't give up Roy for him, and (b) you're dreaming if you think PHX would trade him. He epitomizes what a Dave Tippett player is. He just signed a new deal recently, too. In that division, he's extremely important to that team, because he matches up every night against Getzlaf/Kopitar/Thornton/Ribeiro (used to be B. Richards).

I've long been beating the drum that we need more of that type of center than anything. He's such an incredible defensive forward. Unfortunately, he plays for a team that doesn't get much recognition. Put it this way: if he played for one of the Canadian teams, they'd be pimping him for the Selke every year.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I want a hell of a lot more than that for Roy. Like Jame said, a high first rounder would be on my list as well. Not a fan of Turris.

If we target Phoenix in a trade I'd rather look at Doan than someone who may never develop into anything more than a 3rd line center.
Roy's offensive impact on that team, attractive contract, and the fact that he's in his prime would probably make him more valuable than Hanzal. So I would agree that we should get something else in return. Doan? Chills. Chills thinking about adding Hanzal AND Doan to this team. Goodness gracious. But that would not happen because I think Doan is like surgically attached to that community.

I would take Hanzal and a 3rd rounder for Roy and feel really good about it. With no disrespect meant to Roy, he's an amazing player. The Sabres just NEED Hanzal's particular set of abilities more than Roy's. And I imagine that the Yotes would appreciate Roy more.
Roy,

Old
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I've always liked Hanzal, even though he's developed at a slow pace. He is an excellent, 2 way, #2 center. He is very similar to another center I have always wanted: Jarrett Stoll

It's definitely a massive overpayment. But considering the amount of playmaking on the wings, and the complete lack of anyone resembling a defensive presence in the middle who can play top 6 role... I'd definitely consider it, if we could get some icing on the cake (like a 1st rounder or Turris)
Roy for Hanzal and Turris I'd do. Roy for Hanzal, no. And I'm with you. Love Hanzal's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm a card-carrying member of the Hanzal fan club, and I catch a few games with my old man who's a partial season ticketholder when I go out to visit, but (a) I don't give up Roy for him, and (b) you're dreaming if you think PHX would trade him. He epitomizes what a Dave Tippett player is. He just signed a new deal recently, too. In that division, he's extremely important to that team, because he matches up every night against Getzlaf/Kopitar/Thornton/Ribeiro (used to be B. Richards).

I've long been beating the drum that we need more of that type of center than anything. He's such an incredible defensive forward. Unfortunately, he plays for a team that doesn't get much recognition. Put it this way: if he played for one of the Canadian teams, they'd be pimping him for the Selke every year.
Exactly. He's very, very good at what he does.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post

Hanzal is a great third line center right now and he's only 24. I think he'll fit in comfortably as a number 2 who can play in all situations.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Turris and Hanzal for Roy.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
If Turris is really asking $3.5m+, then no thanks. Again, though, Tippett adores Hanzal, and I don't think they'd move him, especially after he just signed.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

Good to hear! Now I'm even more excited about the idea!

Looking at their roster, they are wringing points out of a Langkow right now...kind of sad. Roy is one of those 70 point centers that are very hard to find. Replacing Hanzal would be tough, but Roy would go further towards solving their offensive woes while simultaneously doing more to put less knowledgeable fans butts in the arena.

Let's be honest here. There are GREAT hockey fans in every city, but the Yotes are struggling to pack the house. Some flashy play might help draw some attention. Hitting and defense are nice, but they don't grab the attention like highlight reel goals do. Roy has more potential for that kind of pizazz than Hanzal ever will. Plus, Roy is only like 27.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Good luck getting Phoenix to do that.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Roy's offensive impact on that team, attractive contract, and the fact that he's in his prime would probably make him more valuable than Hanzal. So I would agree that we should get something else in return. Doan? Chills. Chills thinking about adding Hanzal AND Doan to this team. Goodness gracious. But that would not happen because I think Doan is like surgically attached to that community.

I would take Hanzal and a 3rd rounder for Roy and feel really good about it. With no disrespect meant to Roy, he's an amazing player. The Sabres just NEED Hanzal's particular set of abilities more than Roy's. And I imagine that the Yotes would appreciate Roy more.
Roy,
I didn't actually mean go for both. I just look at Doan first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Hanzal is a great third line center right now and he's only 24. I think he'll fit in comfortably as a number 2 who can play in all situations.
And I'm not saying he won't. But I'm not trading a surefire 60-70 point center for him without something else coming back.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Roy for Hanzal... given more thought... jeez, i'd probably do it.

Leino-Hanzal-Stafford....
or
Ennis-Hanzal-Leino (kinda has that Leino-Briere-Hartnell makeup)

Roy is only signed for 1 more season.
Hanzal is signed for 5 more, and a very friendly 3.1 cap.

It would be a shakeup of the core
would add size and defensive responsibility in the middle.
No loss of center depth...

hmmmmm

Old
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Good to hear! Now I'm even more excited about the idea!

Looking at their roster, they are wringing points out of a Langkow right now...kind of sad. Roy is one of those 70 point centers that are very hard to find. Replacing Hanzal would be tough, but Roy would go further towards solving their offensive woes while simultaneously doing more to put less knowledgeable fans butts in the arena.

Let's be honest here. There are GREAT hockey fans in every city, but the Yotes are struggling to pack the house. Some flashy play might help draw some attention. Hitting and defense are nice, but they don't grab the attention like highlight reel goals do. Roy has more potential for that kind of pizazz than Hanzal ever will. Plus, Roy is only like 27.
I don't think Derek Roy will do much to put butts in the seats. Phoenix has done well for several seasons by relying on their goaltending, defense, and scoring by committee. While Bryz is gone, Mike Smith is currently standing on his head, and Labarbera is a good backup. They have a very nice defensive corps, including gems in Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle, and solid vets in Aucoin, Klesla, Morris, and Roszival. They've been a pretty solid regular season team over the last two seasons, so I don't see them going away from Hanzal.

The biggest issue: Roy makes $10m in these last two years of his deal, while Hanzal only makes $4.6 over the same period. The 'Yotes don't have the cashflow to be making a deal like that.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I don't think Derek Roy will do much to put butts in the seats. Phoenix has done well for several seasons by relying on their goaltending, defense, and scoring by committee. While Bryz is gone, Mike Smith is currently standing on his head, and Labarbera is a good backup. They have a very nice defensive corps, including gems in Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle, and solid vets in Aucoin, Klesla, Morris, and Roszival. They've been a pretty solid regular season team over the last two seasons, so I don't see them going away from Hanzal.

The biggest issue: Roy makes $10m in these last two years of his deal, while Hanzal only makes $4.6 over the same period. The 'Yotes don't have the cashflow to be making a deal like that.
good point

Old
11-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Hanzal is their key pivot -- handles all the high-end defensive assignments and provides a physical presence. He's sort of Holik-esque but a far better skater. If Phoenix put him on the block, the return would be exceptional. They have no need to move him, so there's really very little leverage there for Buffalo.

11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

They need to win, but they need to be more entertaining too. It's a business, and even the best made products don't sell without some flashiness. They're scoring some goals now, but that's gonna dry up faster than a Yotes fans back yard. One of the most offensively impudent teams over the previous 3 seasons isn't about to take off with Hanzal and Langkow leading the charge up front. NO goals=no entertainment=no ticket sales=no franchise. Roy alone is no franchise savior, they would have to make other moves too. But 40 more points of entertainment over Hanzal is worth another 5 million, especially if it brings in 10 million more in ticket sales.

If the Yoyes scoring drys up like I know it will, and Roy rekindles his scoring prowess which I know he will, and Hanzal settles down into a 40 point season like I suspect he will, then this would be a nice deadline deal for both teams.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
joshjull

I don't think Roy for him straight up makes sense but............

It's an interesting idea to say the least. Could you imagine having 3 centers as big as Adam, Hanzal and Goose.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

He's developed his offensive game slowly, but he's been playing shutdown minutes for years against Kopitar, Getlaf, Thornton and Richards.

I'd think long and hard about trading Roy for him. Could very well be a Mogilny/Peca situation.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:

so you would trade roy for gaustad?

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Zip15

Quote:
They need to win, but they need to be more entertaining too. It's a business, and even the best made products don't sell without some flashiness. They're scoring some goals now, but that's gonna dry up faster than a Yotes fans back yard. One of the most offensively impudent teams over the previous 3 seasons isn't about to take off with Hanzal and Langkow leading the charge up front. NO goals=no entertainment=no ticket sales=no franchise. Roy alone is no franchise savior, they would have to make other moves too. But 40 more points of entertainment over Hanzal is worth another 5 million, especially if it brings in 10 million more in ticket sales.

If the Yoyes scoring drys up like I know it will, and Roy rekindles his scoring prowess which I know he will, and Hanzal settles down into a 40 point season like I suspect he will, then this would be a nice deadline deal for both teams.
You don't live there, so I think you're very much oversimplifying their attendance issues by passing it off as "they're not entertained because the team doesn't score enough goals." And I can tell you from experience, they are actually pretty entertaining to watch. They're a likeable team, and I don't see many teams, if any, work harder than they do on a nightly basis.

Derek Roy is not going to bring them in an additional $5m in net revenues. It's just not going to happen.