HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets Win! Jets Win! Pavs SO, first winstreak of the year!

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Roooski

vCash: 125
Some people might say it was an ugly one but a game like this is the ones we need to find a way to win.....all season.

Pavs, Kane and Oduya stepped up tonight. I actually thought Buff played better tonight as well....he wasn't really caught roaming. Call ups filled in nicely for tonight. Still hoping Stuart and Hainsey return soon.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Hes played that way for 3+ years and every year he as been a solid 3rd line player, hes off to a terrible start I'll give you that but suggesting that Ben Maxwell would be better is way off base. Im not sure what you were expecting from him but anyone who has watched him play in the past will tell you hes playing pretty much exactly the same way he was the entire time in Boston, hes getting unlucky on his shots but I expect him to finish the season with pretty much the same numbers as the last few years.
They obviously saw enough of Wheeler in Boston and they dumped him for a better player in return. How could Maxwell or anyone else do any worse than Wheeler, 8-9 games on the first line with major minutes, PP time and NO results. His overall play is what I look at not just the fact he can't score, he is a liability on the ice. Saying Maxwell couldn't do any better is saying nothing at all.

If your playing a soft game like Wheeler you have to be contributing offensively , if your not you shouldn't be playing.

Last edited by sipowicz: 11-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
PostmanPat1919

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
They obviously saw enough of Wheeler in Boston and they dumped him for a better player in return. How could Maxwell or anyone else do any worse than Wheeler, 8-9 games on the first line with major minutes, PP time and NO results. His overall play is what I look at not just the fact he can't score, he is a liability on the ice. Saying Maxwell couldn't do any better is saying nothing at all.
This is not correct at all. Wheeler may be nothing more then a great third liner, but to state that he's a liability when he's on the ice is just completely wrong.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
i dont disagree with you....i think he could be good trade bait at some point this season.

klingberg or gregoire can replace him.

i also defend your right to be critical....seems a bit too often if you dont spew rainbows and unicorns you get attacked...being critical where it is deserved creates interesting discussion.

thanks to pavs for the win...hopefully he can keep standing on his head....i think we can win 2 of the next 3, which will mean an awesome road trip and a crazy welcome back next thursday.

26th in goals against, 10th in goals for....interesting considering that it seems offence is the bigger problem.

2 points from a playoff spot!

i cant believe we are 23rd in attendance...you'd think a brand new team would get better support....for goodness sake, florida is ahead of us.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Festerling and Flood sounds like the name to a crop insurance firm. More importantly they were not liabilities out there and Flood made some nice break out passes. Really a solid game for both, 2 AHL guys playing NHL defence tonight.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
This is not correct at all. Wheeler may be nothing more then a great third liner, but to state that he's a liability when he's on the ice is just completely wrong.
What's your opinion of Wheeler turning the puck over, which is exactly what he does every time he gets it. I call that a liability. When's the last time he won a battle for the puck along the boards. Wheeler had one good game and that was when he was already on the third line, I'll give him that.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:

If your playing a soft game like Wheeler you have to be contributing offensively , if your not you shouldn't be playing.
Still to small of a sample size to draw any conclusions you can say its been 12 games but from a data gathering perspective its not even close to enough. Maxwell has so far in his career proven to be nothing more than a depth player, playing below replacement level thus far. Now you could argue that from a cost perspective we could get another player to fill the 3rd line RW role for less $$ than Wheeler is making, and I would probably agree with you. But arguing that this 12 game slump is an indication of his true talent level or arguing that he should be replaced with players that have not proven to be as effective as Wheeler is wrong.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
bzer

I'm happy for you guys. Two points out of a PO spot!

Old
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The team has really improved over the last few games. I feel like they could have won the past five games (we owned the Rangers and Lightning for most of both games) and Noel has really changed my opinion of him.

I think it started after we sent Scheifele down, as before that two of our top three lines (the Little line and Scheifele line) were really struggling. Once Stapleton stepped in and replaced him, that line got better (and could win face offs) and we improved as a team.

Last edited by WJG: 11-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old
11-03-2011, 11:05 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Festerling and Flood sounds like the name to a crop insurance firm. More importantly they were not liabilities out there and Flood made some nice break out passes. Really a solid game for both, 2 AHL guys playing NHL defence tonight.
Putting together consecutive games will be the key to future success for our AHL call-ups.

I can see Meech on his way down when healthy. Not that he has played that bad when given a brief chance but Flood and Festerling were much better.

When/If Festerling is sent down would he be be exposed to waivers? we may have to keep him up for fear of losing him. Meech may clear much easier. It was only one game and Festerling did make a couple of mistakes early on but he did settle in nicely. I liked what I saw from him tonight.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:08 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
JETS win!! We sexy and we know it!!

Old
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
sipowicz
The Original

It's nice to see the Jets were able to win without Enstrom in the lineup which many said just couldn't be done.

Nobody is mentioning the bad job AHL head coach Noel is doing.

No one ragging on Oduya and Jones.

No word on the crappy signing of Welwood.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
What's your opinion of Wheeler turning the puck over, which is exactly what he does every time he gets it. I call that a liability. When's the last time he won a battle for the puck along the boards. Wheeler had one good game and that was when he was already on the third line, I'll give him that.
You are completely right about that and the stats back you up his GAON/60 is 3.58!! but his career number was closer to 2.4 so I expect regression to the mean. If hes still this bad at game 35 I will start to believe that something has really changed with him, until that point nothing to do but observe.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
i cant believe we are 23rd in attendance...you'd think a brand new team would get better support....for goodness sake, florida is ahead of us.
Uhhh...what? Every single home game is sold out for the next 5 years, albeit in the league's smallest capacity arena. Are you referring to attendance figures when the Jets are the visiting team?

Old
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
It's nice to see the Jets were able to win without Enstrom in the lineup which many said just couldn't be done.

Or the absolutely minor league handling of Kane...geez, the kid clearly was broken by the method Noel used to get him going.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
i dont disagree with you....i think he could be good trade bait at some point this season.

klingberg or gregoire can replace him.

i also defend your right to be critical....seems a bit too often if you dont spew rainbows and unicorns you get attacked...being critical where it is deserved creates interesting discussion.

thanks to pavs for the win...hopefully he can keep standing on his head....i think we can win 2 of the next 3, which will mean an awesome road trip and a crazy welcome back next thursday.

26th in goals against, 10th in goals for....interesting considering that it seems offence is the bigger problem.

2 points from a playoff spot!

Did you watch the Florida game???

A lot of people chose to wear the same costume , must have been the same price to buy as the ticket to the game , this morning on 1290 they mentioned you could get a ticket for 4 dollars . Of course they didn't say if it was US or Canadian dollars.

Really , was that comment said tongue in cheek???

Old
11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
That second period was ugly. Nearly 20 shots against. If Pavelec wasn't other-worldly we would have been looking at at a 3-1 loss.

The 3rd however was very impressive by the Jets. They showed they can lock down a game in the 3rd and win. That will do a lot for their psyche going forward.
This is what really impressed me. Pavelec had to stand on his head, but in the third the Jets played a fantastic defensive game that reminded me of Nashville, "We have the lead, now beat us". While the jets made entering the offensive zone painful and annoying for the Islanders.

It's also a step forward for this team and for Noel himself as a coach. If you were following Atlanta you would know Ramsay's style was "safe is death" and the team never played defensive, they always wanted to play the offensive game. It had the team blowing a lot of solid leads often.

If the team can keep it up I'll be very impressed.

Edit: I also really liked the look of Festerling tonight. He brought a nice physical edge, especially in front of our own net, that I often feel this team lacks (outside of Stuart and Bogo).

Old
11-03-2011, 11:24 PM
blues10

Quote:

You mean if we traded him we could still win hockey games?

Noel is great and a coach of the year candidate, Oduya is an all-star, Jones is going to sign a 5 year $15million dollar deal and Wellwood will have a street named after him in Winnipeg.

Things are going very well for Jet supporters tonight.

I am even having a very slight glimmer of hope that this team can battle it out for the 8th and final playoff spot.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
As wpgpage noted, you're using a small sample size here to make conclusions regarding Wheeler. Also, you're suggesting that Wheeler is essentially a give away machine, which he isn't. He's in a slump right now, just like with Little, don't assume that his bad form is indicative of a lack of any skill.

Also, I regards to the team's performance in general. Consistency is key. This team began its season looking destined for last place, then it improved somewhat, and now it's into good form. Recent history (extending back to last season) suggests that things won't hold up.

I'll be thrilled if they're maintaining this kind of defensive system and putting together solid performances 15-20 games from now.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:47 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Did you watch the Florida game???

A lot of people chose to wear the same costume , must have been the same price to buy as the ticket to the game , this morning on 1290 they mentioned you could get a ticket for 4 dollars . Of course they didn't say if it was US or Canadian dollars.

Really , was that comment said tongue in cheek???

Ya no kidding [mod] don't come in here and smack talk our attendance were 2nd in the league for ticket prices

Last edited by Jet: 11-04-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: No namecalling necessary
Old
11-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Perhaps the stat he looked at only focuses on actual numbers in the stands where MTS only able to accommodate 15,000 would be lower than the majority of other teams.

No need to get all emotional about it.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

exactly.. MTSC only holds 15000, so that alone will keep us in the bottom half.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I think peter sullivan was being sarcastic but forgot the

At least I hope.

Anyways, back on topic fellas.

I, too, was excited we were able to hold onto a lead. Our 2 goals in the 3rd period must be our season high. Much to some people's chagrin, Oduya/Jones looks to be a solid pairing. Jones' x-rays were negative, so hopefully he's not doing too bad.

11-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Crazed Fan

Wicked win tonight!! Couldnt make me happier

Pavelec was stellar.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:55 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
MTSC only holds 15000
thats no excuse.

so, how long should chevy wait before starting talks with wellwood to extend beyond this year....it will be an interesting dance to watch if he continues to play so well.

Closed Thread