HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Take Moulson Off The Tavares Line!!!

Old
11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Take Moulson Off The Tavares Line!!!

Matt Moulson adds nothing to the Tavares line. He floats around in front of the net, watches JT and PAP chase the puck and fight for possession, if he happens to journey behind the net, he's usually flicked away by the defensemen like a harmless butterfly. I don't know how JT can deal with that.
Does Tavares also have to carry Moulson's luggage when the Islanders travel!!!

Both Okposo and Bailey have looked pretty strong on the puck lately and they've been pretty good using their size battling for the puck. How about giving one of them a shot on the 1st line. They would give JT far more support then Mathew Moulson. Matty is nothing more then a 3rd line player.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
ferrisUML

Moulson = Parrish. Completely incapable of generating on his own and plays too similiar a game to JT in some ways to have both together. While were at it, get Parenteau off that line too. Never seen a player so scared to get hit in my life.

My bet is that both are moved from JTs line.

Grabner-JT-Martin

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:20 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Moulson = Parrish. Completely incapable of generating on his own and plays too similiar a game to JT in some ways to have both together. While were at it, get Parenteau off that line too. Never seen a player so scared to get hit in my life.

Grabner-JT-Martin
I don't think Moulson plays a similiar game to JT. JT is not only a good scorer, he's also a playmaker, capable of moving the puck up ice and find his teamates with crisp passes. Moulson will try and get in front of the net for a deflection or rebound, the problem with his game, is that he can't do anything else. He's a big guy, yet he's useless in the trenches. He never wins any battles behind the net and he's doesn't check anyone. Defenders have picked up on that, believe me.

I'll say it again. Moulson is a 3rd line player.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I remember us trying it for a few games a year or two ago(at least I think we did), but I wouldn't mind trying out a Bailey-Tavares-Okposo line.

Leaves us short a center though. Maybe put Martin on the left side if you want to leave Bailey at center.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:24 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I remember us trying it for a few games a year or two ago(at least I think we did), but I wouldn't mind trying out a Bailey-Tavares-Okposo line.

Leaves us short a center though.
I wasn't suggesting putting both Okposo and Bailey with Tavares, I was suggesting trying one of them out. Although PAP isn't exactly a 1st line player, the Islanders still lack depth and really don't have a true 1st liner outside of Tavares, so I would leave PAP on the 1st line for all around balance.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:25 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Would really like to see Grabner and/or Martin with Tavares.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I wasn't suggesting putting both Okposo and Bailey with Tavares, I was suggesting trying one of them out. Although PAP isn't exactly a 1st line player, the Islanders still lack depth and really don't have a true 1st liner outside of Tavares, so I would leave PAP on the 1st line for all around balance.
Oh, I know. Just saying I wouldn't mind trying out that combination again.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
original islander

Moulson needs to be sent a message. PA is trying to improve his skills while Moulson is satisfied riding JT's coattails. I think he relys on his friendship with John to keep his place with the first line.
We could kill 2 birds with one stone by bringing up Matt Martin to the first line to protect John who's getting bounced around and hopefully Martin will begin developing his offensive game which will never develop if he skates on Pandolfo's line. Meanwhile Moulson can skate with Josh and KO and hopefully their passing skills will complement his one dimensional scoring.
Our lines could be JT-PAP-Martin
Josh-KO-Moulson
Frans-Nino-Grabner
Reasoner-Comeau-One of the Devil's rejects Rolston or Pandolfo

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Moulson needs to be sent a message. PA is trying to improve his skills while Moulson is satisfied riding JT's coattails. I think he relys on his friendship with John to keep his place with the first line.
We could kill 2 birds with one stone by bringing up Matt Martin to the first line to protect John who's getting bounced around and hopefully Martin will begin developing his offensive game which will never develop if he skates on Pandolfo's line. Meanwhile Moulson can skate with Josh and KO and hopefully their passing skills will complement his one dimensional scoring.
Our lines could be JT-PAP-Martin
Josh-KO-Moulson
Frans-Nino-Grabner
Reasoner-Comeau-One of the Devil's rejects Rolston or Pandolfo
I'm all for changing the lines. But long term, I doubt it'll have much impact. The team that was assembled in the off-season just wasn't good enough and we're seeing that now.

I don't think Moulson, Parenteau CAN PLAY better than they have. They are not underachieving.
Okposo scored 5 goals in a half season last year. His pace is similar this year. Should we be so shocked?

Are we shocked that Grabner's not getting 3-4 breakaways a game? Did we really think that was sustainable?

Was Snow EXPECTING Bailey to suddenly score 20 goals and 50 points now that Rolston was brought along to play left wing? We should have kept Weight.

This is a GM that mis-read the talent on the team OR he was simply planning to throw away another season.

I know I'm bitter because they've lost six straight - but this is the FOURTH EFF'N off-season that arm-chair GM message board wannabes see the glaring holes, unaddressed, yet the people paid to make decisions sit on the sidelines and sell non-sense. It's pathetic.

There are TWO franchise players in this June's draft - let's hope the NYI are smart enough to tank hard enough to get one of those two russians. How sad, ten games in.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Been saying this for awhile. A line of niño jt pap would work. In preseason they took the wrong person off the line. If niño isn't ready them put someone else there that wants to work. Moulson just is playing lazy and uninterested. Can't really fault one playing bcuz the whole team sucks balls recently.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Hip Of Rick

What is the obsession with pushing Martin up to the first line? Do his 5 career goals scream 1st line minutes to you? I like the guy but he is a 4th/3rd line guy until he shows an offensive game. Martin is what you want from your 3rd line not Rolston, Bailey, and Comeau.

Also why hand Nino first line minutes. No other team hand feeds 19 year olds minutes they don't deserve or earn. A high draft position earns you nothing, play in the NHL does. I guess the Islanders always know better than everyone else.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:38 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
What is the obsession with pushing Martin up to the first line? Do his 5 career goals scream 1st line minutes to you?
Probably the fact that he's the only physical player on the Islanders, and Tavares could use some room and someone to go to the net to cause some trouble.

I'm just shocked that Capuano has admitted he needs to change lines. That's tantamount to strategy, which is anathema to him.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
What is the obsession with pushing Martin up to the first line? Do his 5 career goals scream 1st line minutes to you? I like the guy but he is a 4th/3rd line guy until he shows an offensive game. Martin is what you want from your 3rd line not Rolston, Bailey, and Comeau.

Also why hand Nino first line minutes. No other team hand feeds 19 year olds minutes they don't deserve or earn. A high draft position earns you nothing, play in the NHL does. I guess the Islanders always know better than everyone else.
You do not necessarily have to be an offensive dynamo to play on the first line. Martin has abilities that would more compliment what that line needs and that is some darn LIFE. I am not advocating putting Martin with the first line, esp with Nino on his way back, however the Islanders could benefit more from moving Moulson off that line and replacing him with say Bailey or Grabner.

I have no qualms with Reason taking on third line center duties and maybe double shift someone for the fourth line if need be.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Symon Asher

Moulson was picked up from the scrap heap. The Isles were lucky enough to get 2 30 goal seasons from him. He can't skate pass or receive a pass at the NHL level. Now he won't screen the goalie as he stands to the side as not to get hit with the puck.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Brunomics

Absolutely zero effort from Moulson this year, he's turned into a floater who thinks he's better than he really is and it shows.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:10 AM
majormet

The lines need to be shaken up badly:

Nino/JT/Comeau
Grabner/Reasoner/Okposo
Moulson/Nielsen/Martin
Pandolfo/Bailey/Parenteau

Scratched: Rolston

I did not want to put Nino on the first line, but he has to go there to give JT something to work with. Comeau might wake up on that line, he did score 24 goals last year and does get at least 3 hits a night.

Reasoner is better offensively than Frans and Bailey so he has to warm the 2nd line center spot up for Strome.

Moulson is a 3rd liner like LAIslander says. Martin should be moved to 3rd line for his efforts.

Bailey needs to be punished to be made better, only way it works is 4th line duty. PAP is great for a 4th line, he agitates and hustles.

And if this doesn't work Dibo, Tim Wallace and Dylan Reese should get call ups to shake things up.

I like how Tim Wallace has looked in Bridgeport.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
You do not necessarily have to be an offensive dynamo to play on the first line. Martin has abilities that would more compliment what that line needs and that is some darn LIFE. I am not advocating putting Martin with the first line, esp with Nino on his way back, however the Islanders could benefit more from moving Moulson off that line and replacing him with say Bailey or Grabner.

I have no qualms with Reason taking on third line center duties and maybe double shift someone for the fourth line if need be.
You don't need to be an offensive dynamo but you need skill. Martin has shown very little skill and is not and will not be a first line player. He is a good 3rd line player, maybe we should play guys in the role they are suited for and let them play it well instead of pretending they are more than they are (same could be said for Okposo also Nino for now).

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:29 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

I'm just shocked that Capuano has admitted he needs to change lines. That's tantamount to strategy, which is anathema to him.
Of course, everyone else knew the lines needed to change before that. Perfect time to do it would have been when the Isles had 4 days off to practice with their new linemates.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

someone tweet this to Moulson for me..... You're a huge pu$$y grow a set of cojones and play some hockey like a man. Just read Niño hit two posts in his first game back YOUR TIME IS FADING MATTY

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:56 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Of course, everyone else knew the lines needed to change before that. Perfect time to do it would have been when the Isles had 4 days off to practice with their new linemates.
But someone might get upset that they changed lines. Can't have the players get upset. That's why they didn't like Gordon.
Bleh.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:01 AM
BMOK33

There would not be a better time to bring Steve Stirling back, his line juggling would have worked wonders for this team.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:15 PM
majormet

Can DiBenedetto do better than Moulson, I remember him last year having a big set of cajones. I mean 8 goals in 10 games in the AHL means nothing, since Jon Sim was the second coming of Marc Tardif in the WHA at Bridgeport.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post

Grabner-JT-Martin
The bolded section. There is just something so brilliant (in theory) about this line combination (idea). Martin opens up space for both JT AND Grabner with his hitting in the corners, yet also would be good for setting up screens/tip ins for both JT and Grabner, Martin also stops people from taking liberties with JT, sort of a more talented Dave Semenko.. Grabner's speed opens up space for JT. I really like this idea. My only problem with it, is both Grabner's and Martin's passing abilities, or lack thereof. But, I bet a guy like Martin can pop in 20 goals (maybe not this year) with Tavares as his center, as well as add tons of grit. Eventually, I'm hoping Niederreiter rides shotgun with JT, but I'd love to see Grabner get some first line ice time, and see what he can do with an offensive wizard like JT.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Been saying this for awhile. A line of niño jt pap would work. In preseason they took the wrong person off the line. If niño isn't ready them put someone else there that wants to work. Moulson just is playing lazy and uninterested. Can't really fault one playing bcuz the whole team sucks balls recently.
you posted this from your phone right? I hate how they auto correct nino & put a ~ over the 2nd N.

anyway, i don't want to just hand Nino 1st line minutes. I'm even weary about handing him 2nd line minutes. but somethings gotta be done with this club. they certainly can't play any worse.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
John TavArt Ross

I do agree that lines need to be shaken up.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote