HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montrl.-Atlanta propos.

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
boomboom

vCash: 500
Montrl.-Atlanta propos.

To Mtl. A.Sutton
R. Petrovicky

To Atlanta: J.Bulis
P.Brisebois (part of salary paid)
F.Beauchemin

Old
08-20-2004, 01:12 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
What purpose does it serve? I think Montreal gets the shaft too.. Brisebois's the best player in the deal and Bulis is better than Petro.

Old
08-20-2004, 01:17 PM
eddy

I'm not sure I would want to do it but Sutton is a big defencemen and could add some needed size and physical presence to the Habs.

Old
08-20-2004, 01:20 PM
boomboom

Well....Montreal gets to make place for a huge Def. that hits and cleans Theo. s zone....Brisebois is good, but he s playing as a 4 or 5 D. (Markov-Rivet-Sourray and Boullion have more value than him). As for Bulis, great player with potentiel, maybe he is to much to give, but I thought Sutton had more value. Maybe it s me... if so, guess it would be more like:

Brisebois and Beauchemin for Petrov. and Sutton.

Old
08-20-2004, 01:23 PM

There's no need to include Bulis in that deal...

And the Thrashers get screwed over by trading Sutton for Brisebois

Old
08-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
What purpose does it serve? I think Montreal gets the shaft too.. Brisebois's the best player in the deal and Bulis is better than Petro.

Sutton is the best player in that deal, and you'd be very luckly to unload Breeze-by's contract The underrated Bulis is more valuable overall than Petrovicky. But, not enough to make up for the difference.

Atl would say "no thanks."

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-20-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old
08-20-2004, 02:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
To Mtl. A.Sutton
R. Petrovicky

F.Beauchemin

Not a bad deal at all, I like Sutton a lot, and Petrovicky would look good on a line with Begin and Ward imo. Brisebois at 4M is way overpaid, but he has a 1M buyout next season, so while I don't think many teams would be interested in his big salary, the Habs can get out of it after this season. Bulis is a solid 3rd liner imo, as he has great skating/speed but doesn't always work hard imo and his offensive upside is a mystery as he has trouble hitting an open net, yet has shown some nice hands at times (not enough times though)

Old
08-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Petrovicky would look good on a line with Begin and Ward
that would be a crasy checking line

Old
08-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Safir*

Quote:
To Mtl. A.Sutton
R. Petrovicky

F.Beauchemin
Petrovicky has a nice year and will be a 3rd line winger this year. Andy Sutton is pretty much the only rearguard in Atlanta, who is defensively responsible and contributes on offense. Even the youngster Coburn and Valabik are defensive D-man.

The team added Modry and Havalid in the offseason to give the Thrasher defense an offensive spark, therefore I'm not really interested in Brisebois.

Valuewise the trade is even a bit in favor Atlanta.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Well....Montreal gets to make place for a huge Def. that hits and cleans Theo. s zone....Brisebois is good, but he s playing as a 4 or 5 D. (Markov-Rivet-Sourray and Boullion have more value than him). As for Bulis, great player with potentiel, maybe he is to much to give, but I thought Sutton had more value. Maybe it s me... if so, guess it would be more like:

Brisebois and Beauchemin for Petrov. and Sutton.
Well, Sutton plays like Rivet should play. Since he can't bring to the team what Brisebois brings, Sutton could take Rivet's place. On the left side, having Markov-Souray(the one before his injury)-Bouillon shouldn't be touched while on the right side, having a big tall guy able to show Komisarek how to work wouldn't hurt.

........then we would need to know if Sutton (L handed) is able to play on the right side.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Brisebois at 4M is way overpaid, but he has a 1M buyout next season, so while I don't think many teams would be interested in his big salary, the Habs can get out of it after this season.
I thought it was after the past season. At least that seemed to be the consensus on the Habs' board a few months ago.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:23 PM
El Wama

No way of trading Bulis... Most underatted player in Mtl right now.. a lot of potential and could be a 20g/50pts playing with Bonk this year... Put Sundstrum instead of him.. and you have a deal, but Atlanta would lose a pretty big and good d-men in Sutton.. Beauchemin was Hamilton's best all-around d-men, he's nasty and can drop the gloves.

To Habs: Sutton, Petrovicky
To Trash: Rivet, Sundstrum, Beauchemin

Old
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Sutton is a big part of the Atlanta D.

With the addition of Modry and Havelid I don't think there is as much a need for a player like Brisebois as there was before the UFA period.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Pat_Habs

I prefered Brisebois to Sutton...
I prefered Bulis to Petrovicky...

Brisebois and Bulis are underrated, especially Brisebois. People didn't really see how he was good last year for Habs. In the first part of season, he was the best D when Gainey said that people who boo him are loser.

So, this proposal appeared like a joke for me.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Habs
I prefered Brisebois to Sutton...
I prefered Bulis to Petrovicky...

Brisebois and Bulis are underrated, especially Brisebois. People didn't really see how he was good last year for Habs. In the first part of season, he was the best D when Gainey said that people who boo him are loser.

So, this proposal appeared like a joke for me.
Not to call you a homer - but you're a homer!

I believe that Brisebois would pass through waivers with his contract. Add in like someone mentioned above that he additions of Modry and Havelid reduce the need for a Brisebois type of blueliner. I think that Sutton is a late bloomer, and will be solid on the Thrashers blueline.

Bulis is a solid player, but I think the Habs need what Petrovicky brings to the table (nasty physical game and can contribute offensively).

Old
08-21-2004, 03:13 AM
MS

Sutton is by far the best player in this deal, and Atlanta wouldn't take that whole package for him, much less toss in Petrovicky. He really broke out last year and there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pick him up - 6'6", nasty as hell, logs big minutes and is very reliable, and shows some surprising offensive upside to boot. His trade value would be comparable to Souray's. I like Brisebois more than most but lets face it, his market value is virtually zero ... probably a mid-round pick is what could be expected in return.

As for Petrovicky vs. Bulis ... while Bulis is a solid versitile two-way guy, Petrovicky is a lot more dynamic player and his physical/agitating game makes him more valuable, and IMO he has a better scoring touch to boot.

Lopsided deal in favour of Montreal as they get the two most valuable assets.

Old
08-21-2004, 03:23 AM
Iggy-4-50

I'm still a firm beleiver that Gauthier would be a good fit for the Habs,Huge heart/charactor and loves to punish.

Make a deal because the Flames have way too many good Dman that are cramping his minutes.

Old
08-21-2004, 05:49 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Sutton is by far the best player in this deal, and Atlanta wouldn't take that whole package for him, much less toss in Petrovicky. He really broke out last year and there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pick him up - 6'6", nasty as hell, logs big minutes and is very reliable, and shows some surprising offensive upside to boot. His trade value would be comparable to Souray's. I like Brisebois more than most but lets face it, his market value is virtually zero ... probably a mid-round pick is what could be expected in return.

As for Petrovicky vs. Bulis ... while Bulis is a solid versitile two-way guy, Petrovicky is a lot more dynamic player and his physical/agitating game makes him more valuable, and IMO he has a better scoring touch to boot.

Lopsided deal in favour of Montreal as they get the two most valuable assets.
What the hell makes you think Petrovicky's value is equal to Souray?

Old
08-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
What the hell makes you think Petrovicky's value is equal to Souray?
I think he said Sutton's value is equal to Souray. Probably a fair point, as Souray has yet to string together some injury free seasons. While Sutton certainly improved by leaps and bounds the last season or two, there is no way that i would say he is Souray's equal when Souray is "on". There are very few defenceman that were as good as the healthy Souray thru the first 40-50 games last season. Whether that was just a career stretch for him or the promise of what's to come (if he can stay healthy) remains to be seen.

As for the trade in question, well i can see how people would think it favours the Habs...it does. Brisebois is better than most on these boards think, but he doesn't warrant his contract....i'd trade him straight up for Sutton without any thought.

Bulis is a better player than Petrovicky. I like Petrovicky's spunk and energy, but the Habs have that in Steve Begin. Bulis is far more versatile, a better PKer, and more suited to occasionally fill in on the top 2 lines. IMO, Bulis > Petrovicky by a fair bit, although not as much as Sutton is > Brisebois's value at this point.

Beauchemin has looked very solid in the AHL the past few seasons and may have a future as a Stephane Robidas type defenceman, but he's not good enough to bridge the gap and make Atlanta bite on this one.

Old
08-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
I think he said Sutton's value is equal to Souray. Probably a fair point, as Souray has yet to string together some injury free seasons. While Sutton certainly improved by leaps and bounds the last season or two, there is no way that i would say he is Souray's equal when Souray is "on". There are very few defenceman that were as good as the healthy Souray thru the first 40-50 games last season. Whether that was just a career stretch for him or the promise of what's to come (if he can stay healthy) remains to be seen.
I see. My thoughts exactly too. Man I wish we'd see the Souray we knew on the PP who shot those monster slappers every time his teammates dished out the puck to him (sometimes went out of their way to do so). Goalie went inside his mask hehe.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Habsaku

I think that was a well made deal and I would probably accept from a Habs point of view. It would make the right side a lot more punishing with Rivet and Komisarek while adding a guy who could log big minutes. Put him with Souray and you have a a huge pairing. It would be well worth losing a very good 2nd/third liner like Bulis, whom I think has 20g 50 points potential, especially with an offensive team like Atlanta. Petrovicky would also add spark that montreal fans love. Beauchemin could even step up and be ATLs 6th/7th D and Brisebois would be top 4 immediatly while helping on the point of the PP and having less pressure(with no pressure, Brisebois is a very solid defender). The biggest problem I see is $$$.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:44 PM
guitaraholic*

impartial 3rd party (Blues fan) here... honestly I cannot see why either team would make this deal. Sutton, as someone pointed out, is a pretty critical piece of Atlanta's defense and he's better defensively at this point, and cheaper and younger, than Breeze-by. Patrice is a better offensive dman, moves the puck better out of his own zone and is slicker, rather by a lot, on the power play. I don't see him 'replacing' what Sutton brings to Atlanta. Personally I see more of a younger Quintal in Sutton than Souray, who, IMO, is a step above either player.
I much prefer Bulis to Petrovicky. I don't see Montreal trading Bulis.
Hard to determine who 'wins' this deal but seems apparent neither team would have interest in it. Montreal would, I guess, be pleased with ridding themselves of Brisebois' contract, though.

Old
08-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Not to call you a homer - but you're a homer!

I believe that Brisebois would pass through waivers with his contract. Add in like someone mentioned above that he additions of Modry and Havelid reduce the need for a Brisebois type of blueliner. I think that Sutton is a late bloomer, and will be solid on the Thrashers blueline.

Bulis is a solid player, but I think the Habs need what Petrovicky brings to the table (nasty physical game and can contribute offensively).
I'm a Mtl fans And I have to agree on the Breeze-by thing...Sutton would be a great addition to the Grit needing Habs. As much as I'd like to have Petrovicky, I think that Bulis stil is a better player.

Anyhow I don't believe that Sutton is/would be available (for Brisebois at least) so let's not waste precious time on this

Old
08-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Rather than confuse myself with trying to work out who gets the better deal, I'd just say no since we don't need a Brisebois and we do need a Sutton. Bulis would be nice to have though, I must admit.

Old
08-22-2004, 02:43 PM
regdunlap7

Quote:
To Mtl. A.Sutton
R. Petrovicky

F.Beauchemin
As a Habs fan I say no thanks. It's not horrible, but I don't think it addresses any needs. It's pretty much just a lateral move. The numbers and value are fairly close (though I like Bulis more than I do Ronald) but there really seems to be no need for the Habs to do it.

Closed Thread