HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth's Next Contract

Old
11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Freudian slips

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Did you give the company you work for a hometown discount?
Exactly...and this whole 'sign him for one year at a time logic'....why would he do that?? Because he's nice??

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:43 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
Exactly...and this whole 'sign him for one year at a time logic'....why would he do that?? Because he's nice??
If Smyth wasn't going to be on a 35+ contract multiple years woulnt be an issue. THe Issues arrises from the hard miles he has played.

Like i said.

Next year Max contract
After that 1 year deals at low end prices until he retires

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Gentleman's agreements also aren't legally binding in any way. There's nothing the league can do about this.

There's not a thing that the league can do if Tambellini were to tell Smyth that he can get a large one year contract next year, but the team won't be able to pay him as much on subsequent years due to salary cap concerns.
Verbal contract are legally binding in some circumstances, but to be cap circumvention it doesnt have to be legally binding.

and gentalemans agreements are cap circumvention, as they are a kind of agreement where 2 parties have an understanding.

Quote:
26.3 Circumventions.
(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Oilrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
That's pretty much the idea, yes. And because we may not be able to fit everyone under the cap, so if he wants to be here he has to be a part of making it work too. One year deals allows his cap hit to be high while we can afford it (next year or two), and then lower when we can't. From 2013-2014 on, we need all the space we can get under the cap. I agree with the last few posts, that people are a little too optimistic about screwing him over, thinking he will sign a one year deal for not much more than Barker or Sutton. But we still have to look at it from the teams perspective and see that they can't handcuff themselves and sign a deal for over 2 years. After that, it's one year deals until he retires. It wouldn't be the first time a player signed one year deals until they retire.

Oilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Oil Gauge

I'd also be open to 1 year contracts filled with performance bonuses. This would pay him more on what he produces.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
NHLTradeRumors

if he keeps producing at this rate he will be worth $4 million, hopefully he takes home town discount of 3 mil

NHLTradeRumors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:40 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I'd also be open to 1 year contracts filled with performance bonuses. This would pay him more on what he produces.
It would still be a high cap hit though. May as well just pay him it

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

I still think he will take a hometown discount 100%. The guy told CGY he wanted to wait for EDM when CGY had a done deal for him.

He has made it public he bleeds blue. You don't insult him with a lowball offer, but I don't think he takes or demands something very high. I think he will take less than market value.

I'm basing this off of his decisions the past 6 months, his interviews, and his love and loyalty for the team.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote