HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - Postgame Thoughts and Tidbits

Old
11-04-2011, 12:59 AM
fsanford

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Agreed.

I can. Richardson, Quick, and Penner. That's right, I said it: PENNER.

Richardson was short of brutal tonight.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:02 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
No they didn't....Petrell (the Ginger) was on a 4th liner with Eager....Smyths goal was a lucky bounce and Potter is a defensemen.

*The kid line was pretty well neutralized
That's true. I don't remember RNH doing much of anything tonight

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Sorry, if you think shot mentality relies on luck, you really haven't been around the game long enough.

No nice way to say that to be honest.

Shot mentality is to hockey what pot odds are to poker, it's all about percentages.

Shot mentality is not firing everything on net ffs, it's working to achieve the best percentage shot you can, it's that simple.
A) You're a pretty pretentious snob when it comes to your purported knowledge of the game. Don't tell me what I do or do not know about the game, or how long I have or have not been around it. LOL indeed.

B) "Shot mentality" IS about luck. The idea behind "shot mentality" is to throw the puck at the net to hope that something will go in. Looking for the best percentage shot (which you link to "shot mentality" in your post) is completely contradictory TO "shot mentality." Just like the Kings have been getting unlucky bounces against them on the defensive end, they are not getting any on the offensive end. When your system relies on throwing as much **** against the wall and hoping it will stick, that's what happens. Edmonton scouted the Kings perfectly. They just stayed in front and let the Kings shoot into their bodies all game long. Just like Colorado did the game before. Can you honestly say the Kings have tested Varlamov or Khabibulin at all in the last two games? Best percentage shot my ass.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I agree, and Brown tried to hit some. But that's really all I got. This team isn't a rah-rah bunch, so these things are going to happen. We need a player who can instill a passionate mentality into the whole group. These guys are way too laid back.
I'm completely willing to admit at this point that I'm totally over Dustin Brown. That one time in 100 that he does something nice or smart on offense is a complete accident, and the other 99 times he just falls down turns over the puck. He's been this way since he came into the league and it's NEVER going to change. I don't care how many times they show that pass he gave Stoll last year, or the one he gave Richards earlier this season. For every time they show that, you can show 5 plays in every single game where he's falling down with the puck, failing to dump it deep, not chipping it out at our blueline, whiffing on a shot or pass, etc.

I also can admit that my dislike for everything that sucks about him now makes it impossible for me to see anything good he does. I recognize this as a shortcoming and I just don't care anymore. I wouldn't be sad one bit to see him go.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:07 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
I'm completely willing to admit at this point that I'm totally over Dustin Brown. That one time in 100 that he does something nice or smart on offense is a complete accident, and the other 99 times he just falls down turns over the puck. He's been this way since he came into the league and it's NEVER going to change. I don't care how many times they show that pass he gave Stoll last year, or the one he gave Richards earlier this season. For every time they show that, you can show 5 plays in every single game where he's falling down with the puck, failing to dump it deep, not chipping it out at our blueline, whiffing on a shot or pass, etc.

I also can admit that my dislike for everything that sucks about him now makes it impossible for me to see anything good he does. I recognize this as a shortcoming and I just don't care anymore. I wouldn't be sad one bit to see him go.
+1

Maybe this team collapse will finally force Lombardi to make changes. Fire the coach, trade some defensive players including Johnson and/or Voynov for some wingers who can play with Richards.

Oh, and bring up Loktionov.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Interesting comments.

Quote:
(on why the team hasn’t been scoring…)
JOHNSON: “If we had the answers for you, I don’t think we would be in this predicament. Why? I really wish I had a good answer for you. I really don’t. We’ve got a lot of great offensive players in here, a lot of talent. We just, for whatever reason, we’re an offensively challenged team. One goal in three games, that’s pretty tough to win hockey games.’’

(on the lack of scoring opportunities…)
JOHNSON: “It would be one thing if we had glorious opportunity after glorious opportunity, but that’s the trouble because it doesn’t seem like that’s really the case. For whatever reason, we need to try to find a way to be a little more creative, whether it’s kind of — I don’t want to say `taking chances,’ but we have to do something to try to create some offense and score some goals for Quickie.’’

(on the Kings’ effort…)
BROWN: “I don’t know if we had any really, especially the second period. They dominated pretty much every aspect of the game, and we just weren’t good enough. Things went to crap pretty quickly.’’

Quote:
(on the lack of offense…)
MURRAY: “The blocked a lot of shots out there tonight. In the early going, especially in the first period, we had a lot of opportunities to get pucks to the net. We used our defensemen very well, low to high, and a lot of pucks were directed toward the net. They did block a lot. I don’t know what the total was on the blocks, I didn’t look at it, but there was no problem with the attitude. (What game was he watching?) The second period, obviously, was the period that was the problem for us.’’

(on Brown saying that the team lacked effort…)
MURRAY: “Did he? Well, we had a couple bad bounces out there. The game in Colorado, we had some bad luck, there were some bad bounces. I look at the first goal here tonight. It goes off Quick’s head. The third goal is a pass that comes from our D and hits Kopitar in the back of the foot and they go in and score. So I look at that as bad bounces, that go through a process over the course of the year, and that’s what I chalk it up to right now.’’

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

i love Brown, but i have always thought trading him was a good idea, just because his value around the league is going to be much higher than his true value, teams would overpay for Brown.

But alas, we need scoring and trading our top goalscorer last year wont help that

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Richardson was short of brutal tonight.
You misspelled Richards. RichardSON, while not amazing, was at least trying out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post

B) "Shot mentality" IS about luck. The idea behind "shot mentality" is to throw the puck at the net to hope that something will go in. Looking for the best percentage shot (which you link to "shot mentality" in your post) is completely contradictory TO "shot mentality." Just like the Kings have been getting unlucky bounces against them on the defensive end, they are not getting any on the offensive end. When your system relies on throwing as much **** against the wall and hoping it will stick, that's what happens. Edmonton scouted the Kings perfectly. They just stayed in front and let the Kings shoot into their bodies all game long. Just like Colorado did the game before. Can you honestly say the Kings have tested Varlamov or Khabibulin at all in the last two games? Best percentage shot my ass.
I agree with this. The "shot mentality" that TM is always talking about is "Fling everything you can at the net and pray to Creebus that your cries are heard and answered." It's the complete opposite of looking for the best percentage shot.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Ajtacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Blame TM? Look I'm not saying Terry Murray is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to blame a game like tonight on coaching is just not that bright.

Early on the defensemen were active which is exactly what was needed. As the game went on the players decided to go into sleep mode. You can blame the coach for failing to motivate the players, but don't blame "the system" for tonight's loss.
I've been playing sports since before I can remember and the biggest difference between successful and non successful teams is the coaches ability to motivate / prepare the team to compete and win a game, and at the end of the day all sports are very similar. This team has looked so flat and proved it does not care, do you blame the players? Of course, but at the end of the day it was an abisimal effort from the entire team minus quick and the responsibility lies with the coach / upper management.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Honestly, Johnson should be the future captain of this team, not Dustin Brown.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Rofl
Quote:
Terry Murray’s postgame thoughts…

(on the lack of offense…)
MURRAY: “The blocked a lot of shots out there tonight. In the early going, especially in the first period, we had a lot of opportunities to get pucks to the net. We used our defensemen very well, low to high, and a lot of pucks were directed toward the net. They did block a lot. I don’t know what the total was on the blocks, I didn’t look at it, but there was no problem with the attitude. The second period, obviously, was the period that was the problem for us.’’

(on how much of the play was “uninspired”…)
MURRAY: “None.’’

(after a re-asking on the same topic…)

(on Brown saying that the team lacked effort…)
MURRAY: “Did he? Well, we had a couple bad bounces out there. The game in Colorado, we had some bad luck, there were some bad bounces. I look at the first goal here tonight. It goes off Quick’s head. The third goal is a pass that comes from our D and hits Kopitar in the back of the foot and they go in and score. So I look at that as bad bounces, that go through a process over the course of the year, and that’s what I chalk it up to right now.’’

(on how to create more scoring chances…)
MURRAY: “We’re talking about it all the time. We’re practicing drills. We’re shooting the puck. We’ve got net presence. We’re just not getting pucks through right now. I’ve got to look at shot attempts. I don’t know what that number was tonight, but I thought the attempts in the early going and in the third period were pretty good. The second period was the period where we didn’t get much going.’’

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:11 AM
outofrange

I hate Murray as much as the next guy, but this was a group fail. It goes from top (management & coaching) to the players. It's like, even after all these years, this team still doesn't have an identity, in a way.

Honestly, if we don't implement a system that brings the best out of the players every game (like Blysma and Trotz, to name two really competent coaches using what they got) and bring up talented kids like Lokti, Kozun, Toffoli and Voynov, then it's the same old same old.

Management is so enamored with playing the vets and not holding them accountable, that it honestly doesn't give the team the best chance to win every night. Why are they so scared to inject creativity into an offensively starved team? Sure guys like Kozun and Lokti might get burned, but we've got the guys on the back end to make their transition easier.

It seems like every team is giving their talented kids an honest shot to stick, while the Kings send down a Slava and hang onto a Drewiskie with an iron grip. Keep Lokti and Kozun down and give endless chances to guys like Penner, Stoll, Martinez, and Clifford who are black holes where offense goes to die. And I won't even mention the nightmare that Williams and Brown currently are.

It's really backwards with this organization.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Rofl
So now "shots" isn't even the moral victory, it's "shot attempts"? **** me.

Old
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:

I could not agree more with this. My favorite was in the third when Brown had the puck on the wall skating out towards the blue line and literally floated it right onto Smyth's stick so Edmonton could go the other way. Part of me wants to start tracking how many times per game Brown turns the puck over at either blue line. It's infuriating. Murray never says a thing about it, though...

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:

I think I am over him too man, and I can't believe I'm saying that. Brown was one of my favorite guys on this team since he's been on it but there's a lot of bad in his game lately. A lot of the things that are wrong with this team stem from lack of leadership. You look at the rookie type players that have come onto this team since he's been captain, and I just don't see the toughness or will to win yet.

The only thing he does for me right now is draw penalties. If we didn't have him drawing penalties that probably shouldn't even exist, I don't know where we'd be at right now. He's been falling back into a lot of the horrible habits he had before Crawford showed up and was able to get a great goalscoring season out of him.

I know how it looks to trade your captain when he signed a hometown contract like the one he signed, but it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard of. If it was even remotely possible to get a player equal to him as a forward with leadership qualities, like an older guy hungry for the Cup for example, maybe it should be done. I don't really see a captain in Dustin Brown, and on a young team like this, as mentally fragile as they are sometimes, that is not good.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's a smart guy and he's always honest. I wouldn't mind him being captain.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:13 AM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Seriously. Johnson over Brown is an easy choice.

edit: Oh god, pod person Murray is out of control tonight. What planet is he from?

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
(on how much of the play was “uninspired”…)

(after a re-asking on the same topic…)
These comments are appalling to be honest.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:15 AM
damacles1156

WOW What game was Terry Murray watching. That Game had zero effort. Brown is going to be the only guy to say it ?>

I guess Terry doesn't want to call out anybody. Because he shut the press up pretty quick about the Effort question.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Rofl

Old
11-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Hatter
Microagression King

While I don't completely agree with sjmay ( nor do I appreciate his laughable condescension ) the heart of his posts are not without merit. Especially if you can , which many fanatics myself included have trouble doing, disconnect yourself from your team and appreciate the other teams play.

With that said I have a feeling if this continues, and with Pitt coming in it seems likely that it'll at least continue through at least saturday, TM may be on his way out and I'm not sure I would be all that sad to see him go.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:17 AM
fsanford

Quote:
These comments are appalling to be honest.
Agreed, if that is what Murray said, he has lost touch with his team.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Josh Deitell

Glad to see Brown foot the blame tonight. I don't care how bad the coaching is, players should always next the responsibility and never point the finger upwards.

Can't blame the coach for not throwing his players under l the bus but it would be nice to hear an honest "We sucked" for once.

Then again, media talk is media talk. Honesty brings problems. There's a reason most players/coaches stick to the same old guff.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Before being hired by the Kings, Terry Murray was moonlighting as the Iraqi Minister of Information.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Coaching was not the problem this game. I mean guys, I detest Murray, but Murray does not go out there and put on that ****** effort. He did absolutely everything he could, he threw lines together like crazy. Isn't it concerning that he's mix and matched every player on this team over the past few seasons to the point where they ALL have played with each other, and only a few of them have proven the ability to work together? That's a major player personnel problem. The lack of passion from the main guys on this team when things are going bad is disturbing. Quick and Brown were the only key players out there, doing things that showed frustration, but it wasn't leadership. I guess the team just isn't wired that way.

I think what this team needs to do is make a trade or a call up and major healthy scratch to fit the new player in and show that people will be held accountable. And it doesn't even serve a purpose to trade Penner because nobody would care. It needs to be better than that from top to bottom.

I think Loktionov needs to be brought up before Saturday's game. This team is receiving a total lack of important plays from every top six forward besides Kopitar, and Richards is pretty much screwed by his linemates. Somebody important needs to be benched to send a message.

Right now I'm looking at Justin Williams as somebody who could benefit from being scratched. I'm very surprised given how quick people are to jump on guys that he isn't one of those guys yet. His puckhandling all season has been poor. Since the Dallas game, in which he scored, he's been a mess and honestly, a line killer for this club. The guys can't get the puck to him and get it back on time, he's misplacing passes all over the place...he needs to get it together. The difference between a good JW and a bad JW is huge for this team. With a good JW, to me, the team looks balanced, fresh, energized...when he's bad, he's the worst. And I mean perhaps the worst forward on the whole team. It's one thing to be lazy and unenergized, but Williams is in everything and thus when he's bad it permeates through the whole team.

It also needs to be said that Kopitar is not able to get going at even strength with Williams on his line unless Williams is in good form. And that says all that needs to be said about Williams right now, because this is the worst I've seen him play since he's been in LA.
You make great points outside of the thesis of your piece.
However, your points make even more JAM for the coaches fault in this. The thesis in your points is coaching factors, which you unfortunately are not aware of.
TM should have been done long ago... Matt Moulson - 173GP - 106 pts since , Teddy Purcell - 111GP - 70 pts since , there are others... What salary did we lose on these obviously talented forwards. Very very little. Something is wrong with his(TM) offense when this happens when these guys were given "every opportunity" under his system to succeed when they do succeed under other systems.
Purcell actually is tied with TB Forwards for the their Lead Forward in scoring. Tied with Martin St. Louis. Steven Stamkos and himself with 10 pts despite Purcell playing one less game.
These above players exemplify the fact that TM is way beyond his time. Lombardi... Get something done, how much writing on the wall do you need but a set of stones when one goes to the mens room. Step up!!!!!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote