HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - Postgame Thoughts and Tidbits

Old
11-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Bandit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I think I am over him too man, and I can't believe I'm saying that. Brown was one of my favorite guys on this team since he's been on it but there's a lot of bad in his game lately. A lot of the things that are wrong with this team stem from lack of leadership. You look at the rookie type players that have come onto this team since he's been captain, and I just don't see the toughness or will to win yet.

The only thing he does for me right now is draw penalties. If we didn't have him drawing penalties that probably shouldn't even exist, I don't know where we'd be at right now. He's been falling back into a lot of the horrible habits he had before Crawford showed up and was able to get a great goalscoring season out of him.

I know how it looks to trade your captain when he signed a hometown contract like the one he signed, but it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard of. If it was even remotely possible to get a player equal to him as a forward with leadership qualities, like an older guy hungry for the Cup for example, maybe it should be done. I don't really see a captain in Dustin Brown, and on a young team like this, as mentally fragile as they are sometimes, that is not good.
I used to say that he was young and that he had time to learn, I was a huge supporter of his, but at this point he is who he is and he's not helping the team either offensively or as a leader on the ice. As a human being and a representative of the game, you couldn't ask for better, he is seriously top notch with giving his time. As a player though, it might be time for him to move on. I would also be on the Jonson for captain bandwagon. Say what you will, the guy is hungry to win and lacks ********.

Quote:
These comments are appalling to be honest.
I don't blame tonight's loss on him, but how he can say that crap after what he just witnessed his team go out and do is mind bending.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
You make great points outside of the thesis of your piece.
However, your points make even more JAM for the coaches fault in this. The thesis in your points is coaching factors, which you unfortunately are not aware of.
TM should have been done long ago... Matt Moulson - 173GP - 106 pts since , Teddy Purcell - 111GP - 70 pts since , there are others... What salary did we lose on these obviously talented forwards. Very very little. Something is wrong with his(TM) offense when this happens when these guys were given "every opportunity" under his system to succeed when they do succeed under other systems.
Purcell actually is tied with TB Forwards for the their Lead Forward in scoring. Tied with Martin St. Louis. Steven Stamkos and himself with 10 pts despite Purcell playing one less game.
These above players exemplify the fact that TM is way beyond his time. Lombardi... Get something done, how much writing on the wall do you need but a set of stones when one goes to the mens room. Step up!!!!!
Coaching is obviously a problem and everyone knows that. The players we have lost because of it bear that out and there's nothing more to say about that. I can't, shouldn't and won't disagree with what you say about Murray because I'd be wrong to.

But it had nothing to do with the team not trying tonight. It has to do with not scoring goals, but not anything to do with not trying. The fans deserve a refund for this game.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:22 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
(on how much of the play was “uninspired”…)
MURRAY: “None.’’

(after a re-asking on the same topic…)
MURRAY: “None.’’
He got real testy when he was asked a second time.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:24 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Terry is not going to throw the team under the bus. But sometimes....You need too.

There is no better teacher than being humiliated/embarrassed about yourself.

It was refreshing to see Brown at least admit they had zero effort tonight.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Coaching is obviously a problem and everyone knows that. The players we have lost because of it bear that out and there's nothing more to say about that. I can't, shouldn't and won't disagree with what you say about Murray because I'd be wrong to.

But it had nothing to do with the team not trying tonight. It has to do with not scoring goals, but not anything to do with not trying.
I'll concede that. I still hate the "throw everything at the net" plan, though. The Kings are having an inordinate amount of shots blocked this season. That's one solid way to kill offensive pressure.

I wonder if some of the players have started to tune Murray out. Brown made the comment about the players not being on the same page, and it's certainly looked like there is a bit of disjointedness out there. Ask Seventyx7, and he'll tell you this team worried me from the start of the season.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Terry is not going to throw the team under the bus. But sometimes....You need too.

There is no better teacher than being humiliated/embarrassed about yourself.
Realistically, though, the media is not a coaching tool in Los Angeles. I'd like to hope he said something different to the team but maybe things are as simple as they seem.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:28 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
There are no Easy points in the NHL anymore. Also I am pretty quick to defend the Team and Terry.

But tonight was zero effort, that can't happen when you have a team as skilled as the Kings are now.

Just like there is no excuse for how the Redwings are playing right now.

Both teams need a shakeup.
TM for MB... Get it done Dean!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
MURRAY: “We’re talking about it all the time. We’re practicing drills. We’re shooting the puck. We’ve got net presence. We’re just not getting pucks through right now. I’ve got to look at shot attempts. I don’t know what that number was tonight, but I thought the attempts in the early going and in the third period were pretty good. The second period was the period where we didn’t get much going.’’
This right here is the problem. Yes, your "shooting pucks", but your constantly doing it into five players of the opposing team because they pack the area infront of their goaltender because EVERYONE knows what the Kings are going to try to do. It seems like every team we play blocks most of the pucks the Kings direct towards the net. Once again, this is a trend.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Super. I'm testy that I spend my hard earned money and 6 hours of my life to watch my team get shut out by a combined score of 6-0 in the last two home games.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:29 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Realistically, though, the media is not a coaching tool in Los Angeles. I'd like to hope he said something different to the team but maybe things are as simple as they seem.
I love Brown's face when the asked him "Are the Oilers that good Defensive"

The look on his face was priceless. The look of "you're kidding right? we had 7 shots in two periods.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Wow! Just read Murray's post game quotes. I have a hard time believing he is being honest. Lulz.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:31 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
At least the Galaxy won!
Do you have a brother named garrett?

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Hollywood

Quote:

But it had nothing to do with the team not trying tonight. It has to do with not scoring goals, but not anything to do with not trying. The fans deserve a refund for this game.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the team trying tonight or not. The team shows what the coaching staff strategy suggests. These players are not stupid. They do what they are told, each shift each period each game. It comes to a point where Management has to step up and realize that their coaches are not up to the task of taking their team to the next level. Whether Ownership or Management realizes this first will show who gets fired first.
I personally think its a GM/ coaching problem not just a coaching problem.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Highlight of the night was meeting Kevin Smith and Matthew Perry within 10mins of getting to Staples. Guess I should've just left after that.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:39 AM
OldGreatWestern

Our creativity is pathetic. The guys get so excited to cross the blue line that they all just skate as fast as they can towards goal in a straight line. Dustin Brown must have the lowest hockey IQ of all time. Terry Murrey needs to sit him down and say "whenever you get the puck, chill the **** out and pass it to Richards." Every time DB gets the puck on the breakout, he tries to beat a defender to the outside and take a 50 foot shot.

We dont have tremendous offensive speed so we need to slow down the attack and move more east west. It looks like AYSO out there sometimes. Sorry for the rant.

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:57 AM
SMoneyMonkey

There is an obvious solution to the blocked shot problem. Shoot hard - shoot high

I'm kidding of course, unless Cooke is blocking the shots. The team had a bad game but we really only lost by one. Hopefully this bad streak will end because TM or DB going just isn't happening.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Props to the Oilers for executing. Similar game plan to the Devils. On the one hand, it's flattering that teams have to stack up to D us...on the other hand, pair that vs. TM hockey, and it's a chess match, one that we keep freaking losing.

The lack of adjustments is disturbing and a major reason we've been getting tooled in the playoffs.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Remember when Clifford used to fight people? Maybe that'd wake some people up.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:51 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Clifford did fight during the end of the game, it just didn't last very long because they fell to the ice rather quickly.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:54 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

In order to win the Kings need both a lucky bounce or deflection AND for Quick to stand on his head. It's as simple as that at this point

Old
11-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I don't blame tonight's loss on him, but how he can say that crap after what he just witnessed his team go out and do is mind bending.
Hey, a couple of people on this board agreed with him.

I was told I wasn't watching the game and was only following a boxscore because I commented on how awful our offense was in this game and all season.

And another poster was talking down to everyone saying they didn't understand hockey and the Kings looked fine tonight.

These may have been the only 3 people in the world who thought this, but sadly one of them is our coach.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Murray is an idiot.

Uninspired - nope.

yea even after your captain said it was? Seems like there is a mis communication here....

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:10 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I said at the beginning of the season the Kings would start slow. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:12 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

On a side note, Martinez has no points and is a team leading -5 while Voynov languishes in Manchester.....just saying

Old
11-04-2011, 04:20 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
On a side note, Martinez has no points and is a team leading -5 while Voynov languishes in Manchester.....just saying
Yup A-Mart is going to play himself right out of a roster spot. Maybe the Pressure is too much for the guy.

But this is what we want; Players being pushed by Prospects. And Prospects that push themselves to beat out others.

No more making the roster, just cause the Kings suck.