Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Benn's Next Contract

Old
08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
JesusNPucks

vCash: 500
Jamie Benn's Next Contract

I am just speculating here, but I think it would be good for GM Joe to aim at using Loui Eriksson's contract as a basis for Jamie Benn's next contract. If I remember correctly, Eriksson signed his 6-year deal as an RFA, which is what Benn will be this next offseason. While I think Jamie Benn is a fantastic player, for him to deserve a contract more valuable than Eriksson's would be reaching.

That's why I think it would serve as a great benchmark, and even a great negotiating tactic: "We'll give you exactly what we gave Loui."

Year 1: $3,200,000
Year 2: $4,100,000
Year 3: $4,600,000
Year 4: $4,600,000
Year 5: $4,500,000
Year 6: $4,500,000

Cap Hit: $4,250,000
What do you all think?

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

win-win situation for both parties.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:56 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

sounds fair, looks fair. But I think both parties would wanna wait around mid point season to agree on a contract.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I might be in the minority but I vehemently disagree. Loui got that money on his second RFA contract after posting a 36 goal season. He signed that contract in the middle of 09-10 where he showed proof that he was going to repeat and his previous season wasn't a fluke.

Jamie is coming off his ELC. He gets 1st RFA contract type of money, he has no bargaining power. I don't think he can go to arbitration (correct me if I'm wrong). It's too early to give him that type of money. Both parties will want to wait until the end of the season. ATM, Jamie has never scored over 30 goals or 70 points like Loui had. Joe giving him 4mil a year now would be bad bad bad management.

IF he scores 30/30-40 next year, he probably deserved Couture money in the 2 yr, 2.5-3.5 range. Cash in on the next RFA contract for long term.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:28 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I might be in the minority but I vehemently disagree. Loui got that money on his second RFA contract after posting a 36 goal season. He signed that contract in the middle of 09-10 where he showed proof that he was going to repeat and his previous season wasn't a fluke.

Jamie is coming off his ELC. He gets 1st RFA contract type of money, he has no bargaining power. I don't think he can go to arbitration (correct me if I'm wrong). It's too early to give him that type of money. Both parties will want to wait until the end of the season. ATM, Jamie has never scored over 30 goals or 70 points like Loui had. Joe giving him 4mil a year now would be bad bad bad management.

IF he scores 30/30-40 next year, he probably deserved Couture money in the 2 yr, 2.5-3.5 range. Cash in on the next RFA contract for long term.
I dont want to jump the gun on him either. I like the idea of offering him a Couture like deal and then addressing the long term deal later.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:51 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
That's why I think it would serve as a great benchmark, and even a great negotiating tactic: "We'll give you exactly what we gave Loui."
Loui got his contract when the cap was lower, so the prorated value of the same contract two years later is less.

I agree with exploring the option of giving Benn two RFA contracts before he hits UFA, because if for some reason he fails to progress any further, or even regresses, he can still be traded as an RFA without a contract after two years, as opposed to a player going into UFA with a 4 mil cap hit. It's never a bad thing to pay people what they deserve, the danger comes when you overpay based on "potential." Just wait and see, if Benn becomes a 7 mil player, pay him 7 mil then.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Bench
Realgud!

You guys are cheap.

He's a future captain and top 10 player.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:02 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
You guys are cheap.

He's a future captain and top 10 player.
Do you have anything to offer besides sarcasm? What would your plan be? Two years at $1.5 because he's so unproven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Just wait and see, if Benn becomes a 7 mil player, pay him 7 mil then.
The problem with that is obvious - you have a $7 million contract on the books. At some point it's worth the gamble to lock a guy up for a good number of years rather than waiting for them to actually have the numbers to break the bank. Corey Perry signed a five year $5.325 annual cap hit contract having proven less at the NHL level than Benn has. His current contract is a bargain now but he hadn't truly earned it when he signed it.

I don't think this next contract for Benn will be the typical two-year "bridge" contract the organization seems so fond of. Eriksson's second contract came on the heels of a 14 goal, 31 point campaign. The situations aren't really comparable with he and Benn. I'm not saying to lock Benn up for 6+ years but I won't be the slightest bit surprised if he signs a 4 year contract at the annual amount of Eriksson's current (longer) deal. If I've got the years right that would leave him an RFA at the end of that deal so there's still some wiggle room.

The bottom line is you need to keep your best homegrown players and to do that you shouldn't have to pay absolute top dollar to do so. Eriksson signed a sweetheart deal. Lehtinen never moaned about money. Modano always got paid. You do what it takes but regardless of who the player is, 7 million is a **** load of money.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 08-30-2011 at 01:15 AM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Bench
Realgud!

And here I thought you'd get a laugh.

I'd sign him to a long term deal at a low cap hit.

Longer than the Eriksson deal, if he'd allow it. The money value obviously gets determined by how well he performs in the top 6 role all season.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Oh, and keep in mind I had just got done reading a Stars fan say he wouldn't trade Benn for Crosby in the NHL discussion forum.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:18 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Fair enough. I love the kid but that's crazy talk re: Crosby.

I have a real hard time seeing his agent agreeing to a long term contract at a lower annual amount.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I have a real hard time seeing his agent agreeing to a long term contract at a lower annual amount.
Me too. You'd have to front load it like hell.

It's not very realistic given the Stars current financial situation, but you asked what I would do. And I think you need to hand out those front loaded cap circumventing deals now before they close that loophole.

Look at the current Richards contract. It's outrageous the way it dips off into nothing at the end. But he still gets his big bucks up front and the Rangers get him on a cap hit that's totally workable.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:02 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Comparing Loui Eriksson's 1st RFA contract to Jamie Benn doesn't make much sense. Eriksson slowly developed whereas Benn is already a two time 20 goal scorer. Benn is more comparable to Neal at this point, but he has the added advantage of a 3rd full season in the NHL. Eriksson's 2nd contract is only comparable if Benn reaches a new level of offensive production this year (I personally think that is likely). If that does occur, considering Benn's physical play and ability to play in every situation, he could force Dallas to skip their traditional 2 year deal following the ELC.

I don't really like the Logan Couture comparison either. I don't understand why Logan and his agent sell themselves short here by taking the contract now. With a single full season in the NHL, he's already a 30 goal scorer. He took James Neal's contract, but he's a better player, IMO. Had he waited until later in the season or even after his season, shown some faith in himself to put up solid numbers again, he probably could have done better in negotiations. Anyway, Couture as a player is comparable to Benn, but unless Benn's agent is terrible, Benn taking a contract like Neal's and Couture's would be a huge win for Dallas.

Based on my belief he'll at least have a 20-30 goal season with 50-60 points, I'll go with a 3 year contract between $3 and $3.5 million or a 6 year contract in the $4 to $5 million range if he flirts with better offensive numbers. I don't want to see him get a $3+ million/year deal for just 2 years, and I don't think a Mike Richards/Jeff Carter type contract is realistic.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
It shall be interesting to see what JVR gets. But then again, Holmgren.

He, like Benn, will have played out all 3 years of his ELC in the NHL. Of course his numbers are inferior.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
6-year term, 4.25M cap hit?

For JVR?

God damn Holmgren has gone mad (again)

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
JVR's contract, IMO, just makes Couture's contract even more questionable. Great deal for SJ.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
6-year term, 4.25M cap hit?

For JVR?

God damn Holmgren has gone mad (again)
Theyre really paying for potential there. It could seriously bite them in the ass.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Great deal for SJ.
If getting absolute top dollar is Couture's number one objective, I agree that his extension was prematurely signed. If Couture wants to be part of a winner and likes what they're doing in San Jose, it's a great deal for both sides. Dealing with a budget of any kind requires a little bit of give on the players' part collectively to keep a winning team intact. Couture is young and barring injury will make quite a chunk of change in his career. I like the signing by the player personally. San Jose gambled a trade on draft day because they had targeted Couture. They have been patient with him and now it seems the organization and player have a good relationship.

Great deal for San Jose, yes. But solid deal by the player to stay with a winning team that has shown to really appreciate what Couture can do for them.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Rune Forumwalker

There is no way Benn gets $4+ million in his next contract. What did Neal get again, $2.5 million? Probably a bit more than that, so I'll say around $3 million.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

If Benn scores 70+ points next season which could happen he better be getting payed more than $5 million. If the season goes like that, I'd like to see a long term (8+ years) at a cap hit of around 5-5.8 mil.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
If Benn scores 70+ points next season which could happen he better be getting payed more than $5 million. If the season goes like that, I'd like to see a long term (8+ years) at a cap hit of around 5-5.8 mil.
No offense but I'm glad ur not our GM. You don't pay 5 mil in RFA yrs let alone a long term deal like that without a discount.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
You don't pay 5 mil in RFA yrs let alone a long term deal like that without a discount.
Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan.

The thinking would be that 5+ would be a discount at some point during the contract. This is where pro scouts really prove their worth; determining as unbiased as possible just how good your own players are relative to the rest of the league.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:03 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan.

The thinking would be that 5+ would be a discount at some point during the contract. This is where pro scouts really prove their worth; determining as unbiased as possible just how good your own players are relative to the rest of the league.
I believe Getzlaf was coming off his first RFA contract and bought out a few more years of UFA than Perry did, but you're right.

I just don't want Joe to jump the gun and overpay for a first contract RFA, especially if Jamie doesn't put up 30/70 like we're hoping.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Extension talks for Benn (and Goligoski) have apparently already begun, with Nieuwendyk making them a priority. Smart to try to do it before he has a monster year.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Gogo:

4@4.5-5/year

Benn:

2@3.5/year

MAKE IT SO JOE

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote