HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So coming in we figured...

Old
11-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Lek

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lek
So coming in we figured...

...based on last seasons scoring and our weakness on defense, and the little we did to improve our defense, that scoring this season was not going to be "the major concern" and if we could get it done defensively we would be...um, OK (well, as OK as we could get).

Presently, we are last in scoring...no freakin' surprise there as we are excelling at that (gotta be proud of something). We are however, currently tied for 6th in goals against (26)....

Edmonton - 18
Dallas - 23
LA, Minn., Buffalo - 25

...and top ten in penalty kills....not too shabby.

Defensively we have not played poorly and we have gotten good goal tending, even from china doll. In this respect, this is more than we figured coming in and can actually be better at if there was some life shown out there (as in there is still room for improvement).

Now, if....and this is a freakin' BIG IF, we can start scoring...be it through call-up or line manipulation or just a general ass kicking to those who are napping on the ice (you all know who you are!!!!....though might be better to call out those who have shown up...hmmm)....if some one would stand up and smack these nappers, this team might yet be able to do something constructive. I really do not think we are as under-talented as many say, just under-motivated...and there is NO REASON for that being so.

This is not meant to be another "it's only 10 games into the season and you are all over reacting to this crap, thread". I just think that our defensive performance, so far, while not phenomenal, has been quite good and is going some-what unnoticed because of our ability to excel at inept offensive performances.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
This is not meant to be another "it's only 10 games into the season and you are all over reacting to this crap, thread". I just think that our defensive performance, so far, while not phenomenal, has been quite good and is going some-what unnoticed because of our ability to excel at inept offensive performances.
Actually, the Isles have already played themselves out of playoff contention. It's over. Time to focus on those draft picks again. This franchise is so sad, I don't know what to say or feel at this point. For those of you holding out hope for a turnaround and making the playoffs - it's not happening.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Symon Asher

Goals for / Goals against are statistics on the style of play a team plays. The Isles are a trapping team . Isles abandon the trap Goals for goes up together with goals against. Wins is what counts. When the Devils won their cups I would bet they were at the top of the League in Ga and near the bottom for Goals for. As someone said in a prior post the Isles are not good enough to beat the better teams and can't win against teams that have less talent .

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Renbarg

I still don't think goal scoring will be a problem. Earlier everyone except for JT was in a funk. Now the puck is just not going in. Only a matter of time till this team breaks out.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
Goals for / Goals against are statistics on the style of play a team plays. The Isles are a trapping team . Isles abandon the trap Goals for goes up together with goals against. Wins is what counts. When the Devils won their cups I would bet they were at the top of the League in Ga and near the bottom for Goals for.
NYI are as boring as the old Devils were.......... without the winning.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Two articles on Hockey Independent....

My thoughts... http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/hyedray/40195/

B.D. Galloff... http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/bdgallof/40190/

Overall I feel the Isles will generate offense, but is it going to be once they are so far out of it like last season when it doesn't matter anymore??

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Two articles on Hockey Independent....

My thoughts... http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/hyedray/40195/

B.D. Galloff... http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/bdgallof/40190/

Overall — I feel the Isles will generate offense, but is it going to be once they are so far out of it like last season when it doesn't matter anymore??
Good job.

Can't disagree with anything.

Meanwhile....Galloff comments on the team playing hard and not being able to get anything in past Pavlec?

HOW AWFUL WERE THE SHOTS? Two guys were awful and off the mark on passing and shot selection for every one guy on. Comeau had a great chance killed by his linemates. Grabner had a chance killed by his linemates (and so did, conversely, Nielson) and the list goes on. I thought Streit was QB'ing a powerplay with the Special Ed team. When everything passing and shooting is four feet wide, we had the energy but we didn't have a chance.

Rewatch the second and tell me, anyone, the 19 shots were quality. (I will give it to the Jets - they played a decent trap but we did more for their defensive game by playing them than they could ever do)

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 11-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.
OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
A couple of small points about the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek View Post
Presently, we are last in scoring...no freakin' surprise there as we are excelling at that (gotta be proud of something). We are however, currently tied for 6th in goals against (26)....

Edmonton - 18
Dallas - 23
LA, Minn., Buffalo - 25
The Isles have played the fewest games in the NHL, so looking exclusively at their goals against total is a bit misleading if you are ranking them in terms of team goals against average. If you rank them by goals against average, they're actually tied for 9th with Florida and Nashville, at 2.50 goals against per game.

It's a solid ranking, still, but which leads me to my next point below.

Quote:
Defensively we have not played poorly and we have gotten good goal tending, even from china doll. In this respect, this is more than we figured coming in and can actually be better at if there was some life shown out there (as in there is still room for improvement).

Have the Isles been good defensively, or is it that their goaltending has made their defense look better than it has been?

Their goalies currently have combined for a .925 save percentage (271 saves, 293 total shots faced). Last season, their goalies had a combined .902 save percentage (1786 saves, 1981 total shots faced). If the Isles had last year's goaltending playing for them, they'd have surrendered 7 more goals against, which would bump their total up to 33 goals against in 10 games, or a 3.3 goals against average.

Keep in mind that while the Isles rank a very respectable 9th in team GAA, they're ranked 16th in the league in shots against per game.

So are the goalies covering up for a defense that's about middle of the pack?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:00 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

So are the goalies covering up for a defense that's about middle of the pack?
answer = YES.

Roloson was very good but had a lot of bad games last year. DiPietro was incredibly awful last year and Montoya has been as good.

Goaltending has been excellent this year.

The defense has been terrible.

Streit is incredibly good, offensively and defensively.

Hamonic has taken a step backwards (not a huge one, but is showing some growing pains, as expected)

MacDonald has actually been bad this year. He's played more bad games this year than in his last three YEARS.

Eaton has been as expected, probably better than expected.

Staios has shown flashes of "good" but at times looks completely lost and a real liability.

Jurcina (limited play, injury) and Mottau have been pathetic.

The team defense has been better this year as well though. There's a more trap-like commitment on the ice IF/WHEN the team ever has the lead. But overall, the play of the defensemen 2-7 has been a major disappointment.

The play of the forwards, besides Tavares and Matt Martin, has been a major disappointment, both effort and output.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote