HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I am embarrassed to be an Islander fan at a home game

Old
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
ugly and proud

vCash: 500
the booing im alright with. although i am not to the point of booing myself. i will continue to go to games regardless.

this team has been bottom 5 since 08. so its not like it is anything new.

ugly and proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:26 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.

See, you've got it completely bass ackwards......

These fans have absolutely EVERY RIGHT to voice their displeasure. Anything less is drinking the kool-aid.

We're not talking about a spoiled-brat crowd booing a recent Stanley Cup champion after a poor night on the ice. This is an organization that's been an absolute disgrace and embarassment for nearly 25 years now.

It's a bunch of people who do care and would love nothing more than the franchise to turn things around.

It's people who are sick and tired of hearing 'wait until next year' or some absolute stinking garbage that flows from a GM and owner's mouth as to why we can't recruit free agents here.

Garth Snow is paid (extremely handsomely I might add) for the sole purpose of making this team a winner. He needs to hear it. Loud and clear.

If he and his dim-wit owner can't see their fans displeasure when 7,000 people come out on a Thursday night for a game in nice weather, they'll sure as hell hear it when the fat, irritated guy sitting in section 201, Row F, Seat 8 yells at the top of his lungs (and rightly so) "ISLANDERS SUCK" when the team gets shut out by a hapless Winnipeg team who's in the middle of an exhausting road-trip.

My advice... stay home next time and save your money. One caveat.... since the crowd turnout is so damn pathetic, you'll hear that same fat guy loud and clear over the MSG+ broadcast as if he were sitting directly next to you. Between he, the opposing team scoring, and crickets that you hear, it's like you're at the game... however, you'll have saved the $8 that you would have otherwise spent to purchase last row seats only to move to the front row seat with the dust-bunnies and spider webs on it.

You've been warned.... have the mute button ready.

Last edited by cjdv16: 11-04-2011 at 12:59 PM.
cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
See, you've got it completely bass ackwards......

These fans have absolutely EVERY RIGHT to voice their displeasure. Anything less is drinking the kool-aid.

We're not talking about a spoiled-brat crowd booing a recent Stanley Cup champion after a poor night on the ice. This is an organization that's been an absolute disgrace and embarassment for nearly 25 years now.

It's a bunch of people who do care and would love nothing more than the franchise to turn things around.

It's people who are sick and tired of hearing 'wait until next year' or some absolute stinking garbage that flows from a GM and owner's mouth as to why we can't recruit free agents here.

Garth Snow is paid (extremely handsomely I might add) for the sole purpose of making this team a winner. He needs to hear it. Loud and clear.

If he and his dim-wit owner can't see their fans displeasure when 7,000 people come out on a Thursday night for a game in nice weather, they'll sure as hell hear it when the fat, irritated guy sitting in section 201, Row F, Seat 8 yells at the top of his lungs (and rightly so) "ISLANDERS SUCK" when the team gets shut out by a hapless Winnipeg team who's in the middle of an exhausting road-trip.

My advice... stay home next time and save your money. One caveat.... since the crowd turnout is so damn pathetic, you'll hear that same fat game load and clear over the broadcast as if he were sitting directly next to you. You've been warned....

Just out of curiosity.. are your tickets in row F, seat 8 in section 201??

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Isles1983

Guys I gotta tell ya I will always be a loyal Islander fan and will go to a game here and there, but they can be such a disgrace. We never make it to the play offs alone never mind winning a cup. They can be so frustrating to watch. I feel like all they do is pass pass pass. Like Butchy said how are they gonna score if they dont shoot? I dont blame the crowd for booing them last night. They deserved it. The PP alone was horrible.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Last year is exactly that, last year. This year SO FAR, DP is NOT the problem. Your hate for him is blinding rational discussion. Did he deserve the criticisms last year, absolutely! This year, has not warranted such criticisms yet.
Agreed 100%

If youre wasting energy whining about DP being in net, youre clawing for any excuse in attempt to ignore what our current issues really are.

Rick was not the problem last night.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Isles1983

I agree Rick played well last night but I would prefer Monty in goal. I just dont feel good about DP anymore.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Agreed 100%

If youre wasting energy whining about DP being in net, youre clawing for any excuse in attempt to ignore what our current issues really are.

Rick was not the problem last night.
We don't win with him in net. We win with Monty in net, need any more reason? WTF?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
We don't win with him in net. We win with Monty in net, need any more reason? WTF?
I am a DP basher as much as the next guy.

That said... In DP's 2 starts this year we have scored a grand total of... *drumroll*... 2 goals.

I'm sorry but in the two games he played, he was far from the problem. How about scoring some ****ing goals? Or is that too much to ask of this 'great' offense?

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
If I were in net last night we still would have lost 87-0

I say play DP every game, at least he can can make a ****ing outlet pass....

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I am a DP basher as much as the next guy.

That said... In DP's 2 starts this year we have scored a grand total of... *drumroll*... 2 goals.

I'm sorry but in the two games he played, he was far from the problem. How about scoring some ****ing goals? Or is that too much to ask of this 'great' offense?
I'm not bashing DP, I'm not saying his play has been bad this season. But, just like you mentioned, for whatever the reason is the team doesn't play well in front of him.

They play more confident and more effectively with Montoya in net. This is simple mathematics. Nothing against him or his play this season. Team doesn't do well with him in net, Montoya has played well and the team plays better in front of him. Put him in! Lets win games! Put feelings to the side, this is not Pee-Wee's this is the NHL and in the NHL your business is winning and right now business is bad.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I was at last night’s game against the Jets and from before the drop of the puck and the two guys sitting next to me were yelling “DP sucks”. After the first goal by the Jets the crowd would do a derisive cheer every time Ricky touched the puck. As the game went on there was more and more booing of the team. After the Jets second goal, some miscreant starts a “we suck” chant and is joined by several other jerks in his area. I will point out that someone else in the crowd started chanting “go home” to the “we suck” chanters.
Having been to four home games with only one of the games a win against the Rangers, I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of the team so far. I still do not understand why any fan would yell something like “we suck” or boo. Although we lost, there was a fair amount of positives. At one point we outshot the Jets 31 to 16 and had a fair amount of control of the play. In general, it seems the fans at the game put more energy in being negative than they do cheering the team. Frustrated or not, some of the fans are an embarrassment.
Yep...it was a joke....I sit in 311 and it was awful over there. I mean these people are chanting at DP, blaming the whole game on him, yet he let up only two goals (one of which was put in by his own player) and in my book if a goalie lets up less than three in a game he did his job. Along with that, even if he played an outstanding game it wouldn't have meant ANYTHING because we were unable to score even once. Don't get me wrong I'm no DP fan, but as a goalie myself, the ridiculous hate on Ricky last night was embarrassing and I hope I wasn't the only one yelling at those idiots. Then these jerks decide to chant "we suck" "we suck"........I, more than most, take these losses personally and am extremely frustrated with this team, but chanting that is ridiculous. These people are not forced to come to the games if you hate this team that much you can get up, leave, and never come back.

pattyb91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
I'm not bashing DP, I'm not saying his play has been bad this season. But, just like you mentioned, for whatever the reason is the team doesn't play well in front of him.

They play more confident and more effectively with Montoya in net. This is simple mathematics. Nothing against him or his play this season. Team doesn't do well with him in net, Montoya has played well and the team plays better in front of him. Put him in! Lets win games! Put feelings to the side, this is not Pee-Wee's this is the NHL and in the NHL your business is winning and right now business is bad.
That's a bunch of crap. Professional athletes play the same way, regardless of who they have in net. DP let in two goals-and one of them was a defensemen's fault. Maybe if they scored a goal, it wouldn't be the problem. Maybe if the team played with energy (which they haven't done all year-regardless of who's in net), they would be competitive.

When you score 0 goals in a game, it doesn't matter if you have Patrick Roy, Terry Sawchuk, or Eric F***ing Fichaud in net-you're going to lose. Period.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
well your not going to convince a bankrupt county to spend tax payer money with this kind of management running the organization.

Charles Wang needs to sell this team!!!!
this.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
Yep...it was a joke....I sit in 311 and it was awful over there. I mean these people are chanting at DP, blaming the whole game on him, yet he let up only two goals (one of which was put in by his own player) and in my book if a goalie lets up less than three in a game he did his job. Along with that, even if he played an outstanding game it wouldn't have meant ANYTHING because we were unable to score even once. Don't get me wrong I'm no DP fan, but as a goalie myself, the ridiculous hate on Ricky last night was embarrassing and I hope I wasn't the only one yelling at those idiots. Then these jerks decide to chant "we suck" "we suck"........I, more than most, take these losses personally and am extremely frustrated with this team, but chanting that is ridiculous. These people are not forced to come to the games if you hate this team that much you can get up, leave, and never come back.
Let me ask you something, I'm by no means justifying the hate on DP, however, if someone were to ask you, would you prefer a winning Islander team without DP or a losing Islander team with DP?

How do you expect a fan to feel when the man has a 67 million dollar contract for the next 15 years and never plays, is not at his best and keeps getting shoved down our throats every year? Why is he even in the ****ing mix when we have to WINNING goaltenders. This three headed goalie situation is a circus and I feel the team thinks of Ricky as a cancer. They simply can't produce with him in net, if he starts it's a guaranteed L. Simple and plain.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
That's a bunch of crap. Professional athletes play the same way, regardless of who they have in net. DP let in two goals-and one of them was a defensemen's fault. Maybe if they scored a goal, it wouldn't be the problem. Maybe if the team played with energy (which they haven't done all year-regardless of who's in net), they would be competitive.

When you score 0 goals in a game, it doesn't matter if you have Patrick Roy, Terry Sawchuk, or Eric F***ing Fichaud in net-you're going to lose. Period.
This post is pure, unadulterated BS. The team plays differently with DP in net because they HAVE TO. They always have. DP strolls, leaves gaping holes and causes panic on the defense. Wanna watch where the low winger is on DP starts vs. Nabby or Monty starts? How crowded the crease is on DP starts vs. Nabby or Monty starts?

DP brings the unknown every start. He didn't for a bit years back in his 1.5 good seasons, but he's bringing it again this year.

So....if the team plays back more, is hesitant to leave the D zone on a rush (in case there is a turnover) so the offense can take charge, we score less. I dare you to watch some DP games and Monty games and tell me the D is not more comfortable/less hesitant to evacuate the crease and take the body.

DP makes the game harder for his D. Period. Last night he did swell, but his wandering and lack of coverage of the net was a worry our defense and forwards alike DID NOT NEED.

Disagree if you want.....I'll file it in the "DP is a top ten goalie" file I have tucked away.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Let me ask you something, I'm by no means justifying the hate on DP, however, if someone were to ask you, would you prefer a winning Islander team without DP or a losing Islander team with DP?

How do you expect a fan to feel when the man has a 67 million dollar contract for the next 15 years and never plays, is not at his best and keeps getting shoved down our throats every year? Why is he even in the ****ing mix when we have to WINNING goaltenders. This three headed goalie situation is a circus and I feel the team thinks of Ricky as a cancer. They simply can't produce with him in net, if he starts it's a guaranteed L. Simple and plain.
This says volumes and even simpler I'll ask -

If there was a better goalie ready for last night, WHY WAS DP IN NET?

I'll answer - because they're not as intent on winning as we fans are.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:

I'm not one of those people who "drink the kool-aid" and thinks everything is fine...I agree that this team needs DP gone, and I am not a happy person when he gets the start, but when he does I wish him well. I want to see him win games. I want to see him return to his pre-injury form. What bothers me is its clear that many people at that game last night did not. Whenever DP plays, even if he wins, these fans will chirp him. We all have to face the facts, as long as Wang is here, DP AND Snow will be too. Wang is very loyal to his friends and those two are very close to him.

pattyb91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
islanders9

A lot of fans are dumb

To the OP, the bottom line is that the loudest fans at Isles games don't know anything about hockey. It's been this way for a while. I was there last night, and there were the usual dummies who yelled "shooooot" every time an Isle had the puck inside the red line. Seriously, they yelled it a few times when a guy was fighting for the puck along the half boards. There isn't really much point in trying to make rational arguments directed at these sorts of geniuses.

islanders9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
I'm not one of those people who "drink the kool-aid" and thinks everything is fine...I agree that this team needs DP gone, and I am not a happy person when he gets the start, but when he does I wish him well. I want to see him win games. I want to see him return to his pre-injury form. What bothers me is its clear that many people at that game last night did not. Whenever DP plays, even if he wins, these fans will chirp him. We all have to face the facts, as long as Wang is here, DP AND Snow will be too. Wang is very loyal to his friends and those two are very close to him.
I'm with you on that, I wish everyone in an Isles sweater well. You are not a Kool-Aid drinker for cheering DP, you are not wrong for chirping him either.

That being said, any other GM in the league would have put a stop to this a long time ago. I say **** it, let DP be the highest paid cheerleader in the game. Wanna be loyal? Give him a front end job doing PR or something related (see Doug Weight last year). But for the sake of your franchise, fans and players keep him out of our way! He's got a competitive nature but his refusal to sit will be the thorn in our side for a while. It may hinder this rebuild and in the end do this team in.

For all Snow has done well this will be his legacy and there's a good chance that his hands are probably tied on this situation.

Last edited by Trumanperro: 11-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
11-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders9 View Post
To the OP, the bottom line is that the loudest fans at Isles games don't know anything about hockey. It's been this way for a while. I was there last night, and there were the usual dummies who yelled "shooooot" every time an Isle had the puck inside the red line. Seriously, they yelled it a few times when a guy was fighting for the puck along the half boards. There isn't really much point in trying to make rational arguments directed at these sorts of geniuses.
Were you in or around the 322 area? Because those morons were sitting right behind me. There was one point where Bailey had the puck, the rest of the line went for a change, Bailey was alone in the offensive zone surrounded by 3 Jets with the puck just inside the blue line almost pinned to the boards and some ****ing idiots yelling "SHOOT!!!". I just looked back and shook my head. Even if he DID manage to get a shot off from where he was, that puck had about as much a chance of going in as DP playing all 82 games next year.

I don't want to come off like a hockey snob or whatever but I like to think I know the game pretty well. I play once a week and I watch more hockey than can be considered healthy thanks to gamecenter. I have to say, sitting at an Isles game is more infuriating than anything. People all around me and no one has a ****ing clue what they are talking about. Are there any REAL hockey fans left on Long Island??? Go to a game in Philly or better yet Montreal. When I went to Montreal last year I thought I had died and gone to hockey heaven. All 20,000+ in the Bell Centre were into the game and knew the game. Old, young, male, female. Didn't matter. Isles fans are just brainless for the most part. It really takes away from the experience going to games.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Were you in or around the 322 area? Because those morons were sitting right behind me. There was one point where Bailey had the puck, the rest of the line went for a change, Bailey was alone in the offensive zone surrounded by 3 Jets with the puck just inside the blue line almost pinned to the boards and some ****ing idiots yelling "SHOOT!!!". I just looked back and shook my head. Even if he DID manage to get a shot off from where he was, that puck had about as much a chance of going in as DP playing all 82 games next year.

I don't want to come off like a hockey snob or whatever but I like to think I know the game pretty well. I play once a week and I watch more hockey than can be considered healthy thanks to gamecenter. I have to say, sitting at an Isles game is more infuriating than anything. People all around me and no one has a ****ing clue what they are talking about. Are there any REAL hockey fans left on Long Island??? Go to a game in Philly or better yet Montreal. When I went to Montreal last year I thought I had died and gone to hockey heaven. All 20,000+ in the Bell Centre were into the game and knew the game. Old, young, male, female. Didn't matter. Isles fans are just brainless for the most part. It really takes away from the experience going to games.
If a hockey team is the curriculum, no wonder our students are morons.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Trumanperro

Quote:

Think Isles fans are bad, go watch a game at the Prudential Center.

But, I think most people who really love the Isles and know hockey are truely frustrated and the only ones left are the few of us suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If a hockey team is the curriculum, no wonder our students are morons.
So true.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:

NY has terrible fans in all sports. Most know very little and those are the ones that yell the loudest.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Last year is exactly that, last year. This year SO FAR, DP is NOT the problem. Your hate for him is blinding rational discussion. Did he deserve the criticisms last year, absolutely! This year, has not warranted such criticisms yet.
DP many not be the problem on a game to game basis but, due to that insane contract, he represents the problem. When the majority of an already pitifully low payroll is dedicated to one, always injured, often under performing player you can bet that player will hear it on a nightly basis. Thats the chance any player in any sport takes when they sign a mega contract. From a fan perspective the DP contract is one large ingredient in whats holding this team back especially when there are two quality goaltenders sitting on the bench.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote