HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #12 - Buffalo Sabres vs. Calgary Flames - 7:30 EDT - MSG-B, SNET-W

Old
11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Guys, are you aware how dire our cap situation is? We can't be trading a player who makes peanuts ($550k) when we're $50k from the salary cap. Gragnani has to be on the team, his salary necessitates it. It's just that most believe he should be the #7.
I know about the cap situation but there are always multi-player trades that can be swung to equal out the salary going back and forth, as well as someone posted that Grags has to play a certain amount of games this year or he is a UFA.

Again, I am not saying he is being traded. I clearly said "I don't know".

I was just responding to that posters opinion and I don't think any of us here know what exactly the future holds for Grags. All we can do is speculate.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That looks like he put Weber in the position to fail the other night by putting him out against the Giroux line. And yes, Weber was bad to start the game and yes, he improved as he went along and yes, this is a screwup on Lindy's part in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Not only did Weber only get one game compared to ten for Gragnani, but he also got thrown to the wolves in his first game as well.
Quote:
If you're going to make the change from Gragnani to Weber you have to stick with it for awhile. This is the new Sekera-Butler-Weber situation.

But if he was worried about losing Weber, I don't know how playing him in one game and then sending him back to the press box is going to help any. In fact, it might make things worse. Weber may be wondering if he's ever going to get a fair opportunity.
Agree 1000% with all of above. This Weber situation is the latest in what seems to be becoming a pattern of illogical reversals by the coaching staff. If one looks at the summer transactions, it makes even less sense in that they gave Weber a 2-year deal at almost double the money they gave Gragnani on a 1-year deal. Which player are they more interested in committing to and growing with?

I'm beginning to wonder if Ruff is running out of answers and making erratic, kneejerk decisions out of panic and sheer frustration - the hard practice and emphatic defense of reworking all the lines / defense pairings leading up to Wednesday's game, only to throw it all out the window after 6 minutes of play, seemed very irrational IMO. Similarly, he's flip-flopped on his stance about which position Leino should play (first center, then wing, now center). There's also his quoted offseason quest of finding a partner for Myers to form a "lockdown / shutdown" pairing that he could rely on - then Regehr is acquired and clicks with Myers, prompting Ruff to say he'd like to keep the pair together for the season much like Myers-Tallinder were. Now he suddenly is emphasizing that Myers has to be offensive-minded and leading the attack.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Just F' N Win Here at home!

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
DixonWard15

I'm glad to see Grags back in the lineup, hopefully the time in the press box will help him tonight

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I'm glad to see Grags back in the lineup, hopefully the time in the press box will help him tonight
He had just enough time to sample the new menu offerings in the press box - I doubt we're going to see a dramatic change in his play, good or bad, after sitting only 1 game out.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:46 AM
BaronPetro

This pleases Enroth.

BaronPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Dubi Doo

The news on Weber really annoys me. That's all I'm going to say on that topic.

I hope lindy doesn't flip the lines. Roy's line was buzzing against Philly, and Vanek's line continues to produce. Those lines should be our top 6 for a while. IMO

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Enroth knew he was playing against the Flames all week and he said, “I don’t even think about it. It’s only one bad game for Millsie so he’s going to be fine, it’s not a big deal so far.”
http://wgr550.com/Enroth-Gets-The-St...th-su/11384384

Old
11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
A man who’s been around as long as Regehr has, understands what needs to be done, “We need to play the game a certain way, we need to every single time we’re out there and if we do that, things should take care of themselves. We continue to talk about what we need to do. We need to go out there and execute that. The best thing to do is set a good example out there and play the way that we’re supposed to as players and if you do set that good example, usually people follow.”

The defenseman added, “We can’t afford to play even one or two minutes like we did the first seven against Philadelphia. When you look at the overall game, there were a lot of good things that we did when we started playing the way we’re supposed to. In my opinion we took the game over, but we couldn’t claw our way back from a three goal deficit, but you have to be realistic, you can’t get too down on yourself for making a mistake and just make sure it doesn’t happen again. The big thing is wins. We want to win around here and in order to do that, we have to play a certain way as individuals and as a team.”
http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Regehr-read...-team/11385373

Old
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Win.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I find it funny that the mantra is that miller had a bad game. Two of those goals were rare and exceptional.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

So the kid has a bad start playing his off-side on the ****ing shutdown pairing against one of the hottest players in the league, still manages to play well for the 2nd and 3rd periods and gets benched for the guy playing mediocre defense against fourth lines. Awesome.

Love Enroth's attitude. Love Regehr's attitude.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Matt Martin
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
I find it funny that the mantra is that miller had a bad game. Two of those goals were rare and exceptional.
Not when Miller plays the Flyers of late. They ABUSE that corner.

Matt Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
So the kid has a bad start playing his off-side on the ****ing shutdown pairing against one of the hottest players in the league, still manages to play well for the 2nd and 3rd periods and gets benched for the guy playing mediocre defense against fourth lines. Awesome.

Love Enroth's attitude. Love Regehr's attitude.
Agreed, loved both of those quotes.

To be honest, I was a little worried about Enroth from the little we heard about contract negotiations to the stuff his brother was saying on Twitter to hearing that he was close to signing a deal in the KHL. But he's certainly said all the right things so far this season, good to hear.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
kirby11

I know it's been said already...but how the **** is MAG back in the lineup? Is Lindy just juggling everything to a new extreme? Weber didn't play too poorly after the 1st period even though he was rusty and playing against the giroux line for some of the night.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
joshjull

I'm truly baffled if Lindy decides to put Grags back in. Aside from how unfair it is to Weber. The #1 PP unit was moving the puck very well with Roy and Myers on the blueline. It doesn't need Grags at all.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

never going to win a game again.

Butler with 5 goals. Flames win 13 - 2

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Not when Miller plays the Flyers of late. They ABUSE that corner.
Yeah, those were great shots, but flashbacks to last season's playoff series with those. It's a good corner to pick against Miller when he doesn't have his confidence.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
never going to win a game again.

Butler with 5 goals. Flames win 13 - 2
And Byron fires a slapper from Abbottsford that sneaks under Enroth's arm for #14.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
I didn't realize Weber was playing on his off side. I wonder how much the Sabres logjam on the left side (Leopold, Rej, Regher) is playing into his extended sit down.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 890
I'm just going to come right out and say it because it's the only logical answer here:

Weber ****ed Ruff's wife.

Anyway, after the last few games, nothing would please me more than a 1-0 win tonight.

Pass McGass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Not surprised at all. Two Swedes in net this evening.

Quote:
Flames vs Sabres tonight. Karlsson gets the start in net
http://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlames

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
sk8haggard9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I didn't realize Weber was playing on his off side. I wonder how much the Sabres logjam on the left side (Leopold, Rej, Regher) is playing into his extended sit down.
Weber has played the right side in the NHL for quite some time now. I don't think playing his "off" side really played into that much, since he has been pretty ambidextrous in that sense. I really hate that Lindy is pulling him out after an early bad shift or two against such a strong opponent.

What really baffled me were Lindy's defensive pairs when he put in Weber...

He could have kept:
Regehr - Myers
Sekera - Ehrhoff
Leopold - Weber

I think that has some nice balance

or I personally would have liked to see the reuniting of the Sekera - Weber pairing, but that would mean keeping Leopold with Ehrhoff, which I'm not sure I'm all for...

Remember, also that Calgary had a pretty solid pairing of Regehr - Leopold. There really are a ton of options for this D...

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Myers, Rej, and Ehrhoff can all play the right side. I'm surprised he hasn't put Sekera there more often, but he probably wants to keep Rej in the top-4, and Myers and Ehrhoff already occupy the two top-4 RD spots. I'd like to see Leopold on the right side. I think he's better at it than both Weber and Gragnani.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Myers, Rej, and Ehrhoff can all play the right side. I'm surprised he hasn't put Sekera there more often, but he probably wants to keep Rej in the top-4, and Myers and Ehrhoff already occupy the two top-4 RD spots. I'd like to see Leopold on the right side. I think he's better at it than both Weber and Gragnani.
Agreed and he should be paired with Weber getting 3rd pairing ES minutes.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote