HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why? Rundblad, Konopka out; Daugavins, Lee in;

Old
11-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Needs some ahl time.
I said Rundblad not Karlsson.

Rundblad doesn't make blind passes in front of the net for a goal against and can actually play defence.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
Any thoughts on whether Konopka will dress for wed against the Rangers? I assume with the Alfie incident from last week it's going to get ugly ...
I hope Konopka is in there to hug Wolski like he has never been hugged before.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I said Rundblad Karllsson.

Rundblad doesn't make blind passes in front of the net for a goal against and can actually play defence.
Quote:
The Ottawa Sun‘s Bruce Garrioch writes about last night’s game (link) and Paul MacLean blamed Bobby Butler for Erik Karlsson‘s giveaway, “No, it’s not Karlsson at all. The forward came back looking for the puck and then turned away.”
That's a pass they've been using to begin the breakout all season.

Karlsson led the team in TOI by 3 mins last night, and is 5th in the NHL in shots on goal, the next defencemen being at 18. He's gotta be in the top 10 in the league in ice time as well. Was also one of the 3 guys Mac named for strong performances last night.

Just wanted to see if you'd bite on that Rundblad thing, I'd expect him back in the lineup against NYR.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
That's a pass they've been using to begin the breakout all season.

Karlsson led the team in TOI by 3 mins last night, and is 5th in the NHL in shots on goal, the next defencemen being at 18. He's gotta be in the top 10 in the league in ice time as well. Was also one of the 3 guys Mac named for strong performances last night.

Just wanted to see if you'd bite on that Rundblad thing, I'd expect him back in the lineup against NYR.
That's just MacLean covering for Karlsson. Karlsson has been coughing up the puck all year (2nd in the league in giveaways), he's been on the ice for the most goals against in the league, taking bad penalties, etc. etc. He's been pretty bad and his only saving grace so far is that he has 13 points playing on a red-hot powerplay.

Karlsson is probably the most overrated player on our team right now, by a long shot.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
That's just MacLean covering for Karlsson. Karlsson has been coughing up the puck all year (2nd in the league in giveaways), he's been on the ice for the most goals against in the league, taking bad penalties, etc. etc. He's been pretty bad and his only saving grace so far is that he has 13 points playing on a red-hot powerplay.

Karlsson is probably the most overrated player on our team right now, by a long shot.

Yeah the only person out there to have as big a hard-on for Karlsson as me is actually Coach MacLean seeing as how he'd completely throw Bobby Butler under the bus just to protect him.

He's 3rd in the league in giveaways with players like perennial Norris candidate Chara, this seasons so-called comeback player of the year in Phaneuf, and your own proclamation for the Hart this year Jason Spezza all trailing him by 1. Ilya Kovalchuk leads the league. The real giveaway machines in the NHL don't have a chance to lead that list as they play half the shifts against lesser competition.

Guess it just comes with the territory of leading the NHL in icetime

Hot powerplay, like he doesn't have a big hand in making it what it is.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:

Yeah the only person out there to have as big a hard-on for Karlsson as me is actually Coach MacLean seeing as how he'd completely throw Bobby Butler under the bus just to protect him.

He's 3rd in the league in giveaways with players like perennial Norris candidate Chara, this seasons so-called comeback player of the year in Phaneuf, and your own proclamation for the Hart this year Jason Spezza all trailing him by 1. Ilya Kovalchuk leads the league. The real giveaway machines in the NHL don't have a chance to lead that list as they play half the shifts against lesser competition.

Guess it just comes with the territory of leading the NHL in icetime

Hot powerplay, like he doesn't have a big hand in making it what it is.
If you say so. Most people can see that Karlsson has been a huge defensive liability for the most part this year and while he's producing still it's the defensive side of the game that is really concerning. At least Spezza's giveaways are offensive zone giveaways and not direct turnovers to goals. ijs

Old
11-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
If you say so. Most people can see that Karlsson has been a huge defensive liability for the most part this year and while he's producing still it's the defensive side of the game that is really concerning. At least Spezza's giveaways are offensive zone giveaways and not direct turnovers to goals.
Spezza's giveaways have led to breakaways. Karlsson hasn't had a problem with turnovers resulting in goals this year, as a young player he's improved in his defensive game as a whole this year and that is blatantly obvious.

The glaring example of a turnover leading to a goal would have been two games ago when it was blamed on Butler, not because I said though, but because the coach did.

Quote:
"He can control a game from the back end really well, but I don't think he can control it totally," MacLean says. "As I told him, I'd like to play him 30 minutes a night, but we'll only play him 14 if he's playing 14 for us and 16 for them."
A red flag quote? Not so sure, he's played Karlsson the most of any player in the league to this point.

It's downright hilarious how you go out of your way to dismiss what he's capable of doing in the minutes he takes given his size and age.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Iamok
#Panic

The Sens have the most goals against in the league, and EK is by far our biggest minute cruncher. Not exactly surprising that he's on for a lot of goals. I don't have a problem with claiming that he's overrated, but now you're outright taking shots at EK as well as any poster that speaks praise towards him. Not really sure why that's necessary.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
The Sens have the most goals against in the league, and EK is by far our biggest minute cruncher. Not exactly surprising that he's on for a lot of goals. I don't have a problem with claiming that he's overrated, but now you're outright taking shots at EK as well as any poster that speaks praise towards him. Not really sure why that's necessary.
When have I taken any shots against people praising Karlsson? I've only said things about Karlsson that are true. He's been on the ice for the most goals against in the league. Is it any shock that he has the most minutes on the team and the team has allowed the most goals in the league (and he's been on the ice for the most goals?) There's only so much you can blame on the team before you have to point a finger at Karlsson. The whole 'you actually have to watch him' thing applies to other people who don't watch the Sens and just stat watch, but I've watched every Ottawa game this year. Karlsson is a defensive liability -- while he has had some strong games those are few and far between his consistent level of performance in his own end.

Does he get a lot of minutes? Yes, but that's because he fits well with the style of game that MacLean plays. I also believe that he believes that Karlsson can get better in his own end. I don't think he will ever be great there but time will tell.

Karlsson just isn't as good as a lot of people in Ottawa give him credit for.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
When have I taken any shots against people praising Karlsson? I've only said things about Karlsson that are true. He's been on the ice for the most goals against in the league. Is it any shock that he has the most minutes on the team and the team has allowed the most goals in the league (and he's been on the ice for the most goals?) There's only so much you can blame on the team before you have to point a finger at Karlsson. The whole 'you actually have to watch him' thing applies to other people who don't watch the Sens and just stat watch, but I've watched every Ottawa game this year. Karlsson is a defensive liability -- while he has had some strong games those are few and far between his consistent level of performance in his own end.

Does he get a lot of minutes? Yes, but that's because he fits well with the style of game that MacLean plays. I also believe that he believes that Karlsson can get better in his own end. I don't think he will ever be great there but time will tell.

Karlsson just isn't as good as a lot of people in Ottawa give him credit for.
More reaching.

He hasn't been a dominant defensemen in his own end by any means this season, it's his development curve that gets people excited. His rate of development will have to level off quite a bit for him not to be a much better and more consistent defensive player in 3-4 years time. Considering what he can do at this size I expect it will only improve with experience and the strength that comes naturally through the early 20s.

Guess he was best suited for whatever system Clouston was trying to run last year too. Everyone picked this team to be way in last place this year but they aren't, and they are doing it was Karlsson taking the most minutes by a substantial margin (see how easy it is to argue).

You were one of the only people that said this team was good enough to make the playoffs...but I suppose you expected them to do so with Rundblad taking 25 minutes a night.

Yes, you haven't said anything that is objectively false, but some of the stuff you have said is as rich as an opposing fan speaking to Karlsson's +/- with no context to back it.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
BK201

Karlsson is 29th in the league for points tied for 3rd in the league for assists what more can he do? how much better can he be especially on our team? how is he given more credit than deserved?

he plays well for long stretches with large amount of ice time. when Karlsson has a bad night the senators generally have a bad night.

he is given credit because he puts alot of weight on his back and he's been stepping up.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Guys guys guys, don't let facts get in the way of some good old fashioned knuckle dragging. Let the monkey dance on its own.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Guys guys guys, don't let facts get in the way of some good old fashioned knuckle dragging. Let the monkey dance on its own.
I get such a kick out of it though!!!!!

Old
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
I get such a kick out of it though!!!!!
Seems more like you can't handle getting trolled. Here I thought you were way above that.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Seems more like you can't handle getting trolled. Here I thought you were way above that.
Was waiting for the cop-out.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
BK201

yawn i don't even really know what you guys are arguing about TLDR.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
coladin

Hope Rundblad gets back in next game. Lee, to me doesn't have the impact of Rundblad. Yes, they are different players but our d looks less dangerous without Rundblad.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
yawn i don't even really know what you guys are arguing about TLDR.
MoO getting trolled that's all.

With that said we should see Rundblad next game (I hope.) If they're planning on not playing him for an extended period I wouldn't mind seeing them get sent down to the A, though I don't think there'd be much benefit for him there. But I think he should be on the ice.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
MoO getting trolled that's all.
Translation: I like to tell everyone that MoO is overly high on Karlsson yet when it comes down to it my attempts to prove this turn into a convenient "troll job".

He won't sit for an extended time, we can't win a game with Lee in the lineup so far and our transition is noticeably lessened with him out of the lineup. 2-3 games are the types of breaks they had boy wonder take when he needed a break.

Old
11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Translation: I like to tell everyone that MoO is overly high on Karlsson yet when it comes down to it my attempts to prove this turn into a convenient "troll job".

He won't sit for an extended time, we can't win a game with Lee in the lineup so far and our transition is noticeably lessened with him out of the lineup. 2-3 games are the types of breaks they had boy wonder take when he needed a break.
Translation: MoO trying to save face on the interwebz.

They actually had Karlsson go down to the A for a while. I don't actually think that Rundblad needs any time down there, and our team has an obvious lack of Rundblad in the last two games we've played so I don't think he'll get sent down...but we'll see. I hope Konopka doesn't get put back in for New York.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
I'm wondering if Jerk Store can make a jersey using the DohDog's avatar as the logo, and we can start an online petition for it to be used as the Habs 3rd jersey.
What does that mean?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Xspyrit

Remember people :

You don't have to HATE a player to LOVE another. It is possible to love both, just tell us which one you prefer.

It isn't necessary to bash a player non-stop in an effort to praise your favorite player.

This kindergarten games have to stop someday. If you feel concerned, well it might be true. No one remember how awful were those Fisher vs Spezza debates?

That being said, BOTH Rundblad and Karlsson are a HUGE part of the Sens future. We need both to be awesome.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:31 AM
operasen

Wonder when they start to re-new Karlsson. He's going to get a nice raise I think and I'd rather it be done sooner than later. Maybe not Weber money but certainly in the 4.5-5 range I'd think

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Wonder when they start to re-new Karlsson. He's going to get a nice raise I think and I'd rather it be done sooner than later. Maybe not Weber money but certainly in the 4.5-5 range I'd think
Gives me an idea...

Old
11-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Remember people :

You don't have to HATE a player to LOVE another. It is possible to love both, just tell us which one you prefer.

It isn't necessary to bash a player non-stop in an effort to praise your favorite player.

This kindergarten games have to stop someday. If you feel concerned, well it might be true. No one remember how awful were those Fisher vs Spezza debates?

That being said, BOTH Rundblad and Karlsson are a HUGE part of the Sens future. We need both to be awesome.
Agreed. Right now we have a great opportunity to have one of the best puck moving blue-lines in the league. Not only that but with the variety that with our two top puck movers of the future we have two different looks at our transition game and it'll allow us to consistently provide a dynamic offence.

Our future is pretty exciting in that sense and the sooner both Rundblad and Karlsson mature/develop the better it is for Ottawa.