HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Kings Goal Output

Old
11-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I think that one game where they allowed 9 goals is a result of that high goals against towards Philly, however, they are 2nd best in the league with a +12 goal differential, only behind the Capitals.

The difference in results is that Philly is getting balanced scoring and production from more than just one line. The Kings aren't.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
jml87

Philly's high goal scoring difference came against the Senators, Hurricanes (playing Boucher), Canadiens, and Blue Jackets. They scored 14 goals against the Jets and Canucks.

I'll wait to see how they are against some better competition. I watch almost every game because my family members are all Flyers fans and watching them, I doubt the production continues to be this high (Max Talbot has 8 points, I mean really). And the massive amount of turnovers they have are going to start biting them in the ass against better teams.

I know this isn't a Flyers discussion, so I don't want to turn it into one, but the Flyers have ALWAYS been an offensive team. They always score a ton of goals and they always get to the playoffs.

So how many Stanley Cups has that gotten them? 0. 0 in 35 years. Since their goaltender was Bernie Parent.

Kings at the very least need a sniper. Hopefully they'll find a good one in a trade. I don't think their offense needs that much help. I do think it's a bit of a coaching thing. There's a lot of talent on this team. I think they'll figure it out soon enough.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
cheap77

I really think a new coach is what this team needs. Murray is a defensive only coach and a good defensive coach. He is great for a young team, but now we need someone who can get the team scoring on top of playing defense. Quick and the defense are being relied on too much and they need some offense from the forwards.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Alternate Jersey

post #19 updated to show stats for games 11-15 (colorado-nashville games).

GFPG was down to 1.3 in the middle of the slump, but the nashville game brought us back up to 2.0.
also notable is the fact that the PP was responsible for 50% of the goals during the last 5 games.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
anyone watching the hawks game? so much chemistry and active skating by the players, man im jealous. kings are so predictable always in formation, never stepping out to create chances.
Give them time, the chemistry will come. How long those guys been together anyway in Chicago?

I'm thinking the chemistry will kick in big-time right around...April, May, and June.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Updated the stats in post #1.

Old
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
jml87

I don't know what you guys are so worried about. I just heard from a Flyers fan that you guys are stacked offensively and that Richards is forced to play more defensively as a result. His scoring abilities are not needed as much.

So, yeah.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The inept offense of the Kings continues. The last time a bottom six forward scored a goal was Kyle Clifford's goal against Phoenix on Oct. 20th in a 2-0 win. The only other goal from a bottom six forward was Jarret Stoll on Oct. 18th, the 5-0 home opening win against St. Louis.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Soundwave

I think Lombardi will chase Iginla hard at the deadline. Just a hunch.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It's going to probably cost the Kings a handsome package to make a deal for Iginla. Plus they'd have to manage to find a way to fit in his $7M cap hit as he is signed for one more season.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:34 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
if we keep scoring the way we do, we won't have any need for him.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Give them time, the chemistry will come. How long those guys been together anyway in Chicago?

I'm thinking the chemistry will kick in big-time right around...April, May, and June.
Just in time for golf season!

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Since a team hasn't won the cup with an offense out of the top 10, I decided to look at the finalists too:

2011: Vancouver 1st, Boston 5th
2010: Philly 8th, Chicago 3rd
2009: Detroit 1st, Pittsburgh 6th
2008: Detroit 3rd, Pittsburgh 7th
2007: Anaheim 9th, Ottawa 2nd
2006: Edmonton 15th, Carolina 3rd

So, out of 12 teams, only 1 was out of the top 10 and that was Edmonton at 15th (still above 3 GF/G in 2006).

Anyone still think offense isn't important?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Since a team hasn't won the cup with an offense out of the top 10, I decided to look at the finalists too:

2011: Vancouver 1st, Boston 5th
2010: Philly 8th, Chicago 3rd
2009: Detroit 1st, Pittsburgh 6th
2008: Detroit 3rd, Pittsburgh 7th
2007: Anaheim 9th, Ottawa 2nd
2006: Edmonton 15th, Carolina 3rd

So, out of 12 teams, only 1 was out of the top 10 and that was Edmonton at 15th (still above 3 GF/G in 2006).

Anyone still think offense isn't important?
Edmonton also went on a miracle run. They're clearly the statistical outlier there.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Terry Murray still hasn't learned that you have to outscore the opposition to win games.

Old
11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Alternate Jersey

gfpg statistics updated through last night's game.

sobering notes from the most recent set of five:

--PK went down to 68%; PP also much less effective
--kopi and richards combined for one third of the goals during this stretch
--one fifth of the goals scored during this stretch were short-handed (two by richards, one by gagne)

Old
11-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Updated stats as of today with the new lineup. The Kings currently rank 25th in GF/G with a 2.35 average, only ahead of Columbus, Calgary, Minnesota, Anaheim and NY Islanders.

The Kings are the third worst team at even-strength (5v5) at 32 goals, only ahead of Minnesota and the Islanders.

Old
11-27-2011, 08:50 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Updated stats as of today with the new lineup. The Kings currently rank 25th in GF/G with a 2.35 average, only ahead of Columbus, Calgary, Minnesota, Anaheim and NY Islanders.

The Kings are the third worst team at even-strength (5v5) at 32 goals, only ahead of Minnesota and the Islanders.
LoL Minnesota is the best team in the Western Conference points wise. How do people explain that ? luck ? cause it sure is not offense.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I'm totally shocked.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
LoL Minnesota is the best team in the Western Conference points wise. How do people explain that ? luck ? cause it sure is not offense.
Don't worry, they will fade if they don't start scoring.

They aren't best in points percentage.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:02 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Just checked nhl.com. Goals for leader is Philly with 56, Kings are 27th with 28 GF. WOW! I mean come on no way Philly's players are THAT much better than ours. Ridiculous. here's the link if anyone wants to look. http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...wName=goalsFor
Lavvy's systems is very offensive minded and they have had so far, a pretty easy schedule. Despite that they are still giving up too many goals to bottom feeders. They haven't had to play many elite teams yet. The Caps killed them and their first game agasint a competitive divsion rival was Sat and Rangers shut them out. The penguins will kill 'em too. One of the reasons they are 4th for most goals allowed is that they lost their 4 top defensive forwards in Richards, Carter, Powe and Betts. That is showing...esp Richards. He played agaisnt the top lines so Giroux and Briere didn't have to , this year they dont;' have a shutdown center. They have 21 division games left and won't fare well.

Without Homer trading for a shutdown center or forward , and with how competitive that conference is, look at Fla and Toronto...there will e a dogfight for points , they will not finish high in the division or conference and I can't see them lasting beyond 1 round, esp if they finish 6-8th in the conference and have to play Pitts or Boston or even Wash. in the first round. Bryz so far had not impressed me and has never played in anything close to the pressure cooker that is Phila .

Trading Richards will hurt them until Sean Courtier gets more experience and can take over that job.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
They have the 4th best GAA in the league, which is an exact match to their GF at 2.22. Let's see how far their defense can carry them. It's rather surprising to me that Minnesota is doing so well defensively considering the amount of inexperienced players on their blueline.

The Wild blueline is composed of Marek Zidlicky, Nick Schultz, Jared Spurgeon, Marco Scandella, Justin Falk, Clayton Stoner, Nate Prosser, and Greg Zanon. Their goaltending has been very solid with Backstrom and Harding. Their leading goal scorer is Matt Cullen with 8 goals and Mikko Koivu leads the team with 17 points. An offensive juggernaut they are not.

Now the Kings' defense and goaltending hasn't been bad at all, they're 7th in GAA, but their inept offense isn't of much service in helping them win games. An airtight defense is great and all, but you aren't going to gain two points at the end of the night sitting on your heels, which is what the Kings tend to do on most nights.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
They have the 4th best GAA in the league, which is an exact match to their GF at 2.22. Let's see how far their defense can carry them. It's rather surprising to me that Minnesota is doing so well defensively considering the amount of inexperienced players on their blueline.

The Wild blueline is composed of Marek Zidlicky, Nick Schultz, Jared Spurgeon, Marco Scandella, Justin Falk, Clayton Stoner, Nate Prosser, and Greg Zanon. Their goaltending has been very solid with Backstrom and Harding. Their leading goal scorer is Matt Cullen with 8 goals and Mikko Koivu leads the team with 17 points. An offensive juggernaut they are not.

Now the Kings' defense and goaltending hasn't been bad at all, they're 7th in GAA, but their inept offense isn't of much service in helping them win games. An airtight defense is great and all, but you aren't going to gain two points at the end of the night sitting on your heels, which is what the Kings tend to do on most nights.
The Kings defense isn't even that great recently. Ever since the end of Quick's streak, they've been giving up 2.75 goals per game. Not exactly stellar.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Alternate Jersey

post #19 updated for like the last 8 games...my bad.

some thoughts:
--as was pretty obvious, the gfpg dipped to its worst, at 1.2 gfpg, during the 5 game losing streak. naturally, we could change the 5-game samples and see a difference, but that does say a lot.
--the power play is on the decline, dropping to a dismal 5.6% during the losing streak. the pk is picking back up after dropping to 68.2% during games 16-20. sort of weird, given that richards has been out.
--the kings have already scored as many goals in the last three games as they did during the 5-game losing streak.