HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes at Center

Old
11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
DJN21

vCash: 500
Boyes at Center

Okay before everyone flies off the deep-end about how bad Boyes played at center last playoffs(with Connolly and Roy out mind you), would anyone else be open to seeing him center a Vanek and Poms line? Boyes is hard working and the last few games has managed to throw the puck at the front of the net repeatedly (i.e Vanek territory). Boyes n Vanek also have had moderate to good success on the PP together...Ik its a stretch and the lines looked pretty solid tonight as is, but I wouldnt mind the experiment...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
No.

On second thought, no.

He's finally back into his comfort zone on wing. Leave him be.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Zip15

I think this is probably bad timing. He looked great on the RW for Gerbe and Goose. Roy and Adam are the top-6 centers right now, Goose plays 3rd line minutes at ES, and Ellis is fine on the 4th line until Hecht comes back. The last thing I want to do is move Boyes when he's playing well on the wing.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

WHY? Now that he finally found a line he fits well on we want to move him again? Good Lord.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:04 PM
DJN21

I understand the flack following a W and it is bad timing to raise the question because Boyes looked so good tonight but in 4 games lets be honest...these lines shift again...a week later when ennis returns they shift again...if and when Hecht returns...again. Lindy will be shifting lines and if we take the blinders off of Boyes performance tonight and assume we will be regaining 2 wings and a center and/or 3 wings at some point...would you be open to it is what Im asking? Ik Boyes has traditionally be the playmaker and not the set-up man but the way he battles behind the net and makes neat little passes to the front(i.e the Ellis goal which was rescinded)...seems like cleanup artists like Vanek and Poms could go nuts with those chances...

again I understand the hesitancy and agree that if it aint broke dont fix it...just looking for some discussion following the game, cheers

Old
11-04-2011, 11:06 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Prob had his best game tonight as wing for 28 & 42. Would like to see that a few more times until the kaleta suspension is over.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:09 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Prob had his best game tonight as wing for 28 & 42. Would like to see that a few more times until the kaleta suspension is over.
definitely agree sir, looking more into the future than anything, they sure looked great tonight!

Old
11-04-2011, 11:34 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I understand the flack following a W and it is bad timing to raise the question because Boyes looked so good tonight but in 4 games lets be honest...these lines shift again...a week later when ennis returns they shift again...if and when Hecht returns...again. Lindy will be shifting lines and if we take the blinders off of Boyes performance tonight and assume we will be regaining 2 wings and a center and/or 3 wings at some point...would you be open to it is what Im asking? Ik Boyes has traditionally be the playmaker and not the set-up man but the way he battles behind the net and makes neat little passes to the front(i.e the Ellis goal which was rescinded)...seems like cleanup artists like Vanek and Poms could go nuts with those chances...

again I understand the hesitancy and agree that if it aint broke dont fix it...just looking for some discussion following the game, cheers
I think it could work: Adam hasn't looked all that great recently, Pommer is already the de-facto center of that line >50% of the time, and the 3 already play together on the powerplay.

Still, its not a good idea to mess with things after such a great performance. But keep the idea in the back of your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
He did, but everyone that skates with Gerbe and Goose looks good. Playing with them is helping Boyes' confidence and habits, but since the Gerbe+Goose line seemingly works the same no matter who the RW is, we should consider using Boyes in other ways (once Kaleta's suspension is over).

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:51 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
No. No, no, no, no, and no.

Boyes played well at wing last season when he first came over, and when he was forced into the middle, his play plummeted all the way down to awful. We don't need to force a square peg into a round hole.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's a good complimentary winger who's game went south when forced to play center. Leave him on the wing, find players who are comfortable in the middle. He's fitting in with energy guys and getting his shot working on the PP -- depth.

11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No. No, no, no, no, and no.

Boyes played well at wing last season when he first came over, and when he was forced into the middle, his play plummeted all the way down to awful. We don't need to force a square peg into a round hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's a good complimentary winger who's game went south when forced to play center. Leave him on the wing, find players who are comfortable in the middle. He's fitting in with energy guys and getting his shot working on the PP -- depth.
We could just as easily be talking about Leino. I guess the moral being if you want to plug a hole at center, go out and get centers. Both of these guys belong on the wing.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:16 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
We could just as easily be talking about Leino. I guess the moral being if you want to plug a hole at center, go out and get centers. Both of these guys belong on the wing.
I haven't hated Leino when he was at center. I thought his worst games came at wing. As long as he's got chemistry with Roy and Stafford and that line's rolling, though, I wouldn't want to switch him back either.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I haven't hated Leino when he was at center. I thought his worst games came at wing. As long as he's got chemistry with Roy and Stafford and that line's rolling, though, I wouldn't want to switch him back either.
Simply no on the Boyes center issue

I'd like to see Leino for a solid non-stop stretch at center for 35-40 games. No matter how he does, I want that center idea possibility put to rest. Good or bad. On the other hand, if his play gets better and better as a winger with Roy and Stafford, I guess we may never know what could of been.

And no, a handful of games at center doesn't show us anything of value.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:19 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Simply no on the Boyes center issue

I'd like to see Leino for a solid non-stop stretch at center for 35-40 games. No matter how he does, I want that center idea possibility put to rest. Good or bad. On the other hand, if his play gets better and better as a winger with Roy and Stafford, I guess we may never know what could of been.

And no, a handful of games at center doesn't show us anything of value.
shove your head in the sand and beg for the best then...

Old
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
dan213

I prefer him at wing. He struggled last year at center.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I categorize this as a bit nuts

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:13 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I categorize this as a bit nuts
Why? I bet somewhere down the line he will be back in the middle. As it is right now hes an injury or two from being back at Center.

Be that as it may keep him with Goose n Gerbs for the next two games then go from there..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Okay before everyone flies off the deep-end about how bad Boyes played at center last playoffs(with Connolly and Roy out mind you), would anyone else be open to seeing him center a Vanek and Poms line? Boyes is hard working and the last few games has managed to throw the puck at the front of the net repeatedly (i.e Vanek territory). Boyes n Vanek also have had moderate to good success on the PP together...Ik its a stretch and the lines looked pretty solid tonight as is, but I wouldnt mind the experiment...
I don't exactly get why people still rip on his play at center last season. He was SOLID defensively. Which is remarkable coming from a guy not known for his defensive game or as a center. It may have taken a lot away from his attacking skills but Boyes really helped that team win a lot of games down the stretch.

As for playing him there now, I say no. They have Adam now, no need for another center.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
No.

On second thought, no.

He's finally back into his comfort zone on wing. Leave him be.
QFT

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote