HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Chernobly Edition) Capitals at Islanders. 7:00pm. Nassau Coliseum. November 5, 2011

Old
11-06-2011, 12:28 AM
LetsGoBears

vCash: 500
I really wish certain people would find another outlet for their *****ing for the sake of *****ing.

MP had 5 points in 8 games prior to tonight and the line of MP/Halpern/Hendricks was working very well. Quite frankly, Sjogren was out playing Eakin in Hershey. Eakin was up because of potential injury issues. The funniest part is, the thing that everyone *****es about MP being knocked off the puck so easy is Eakin's biggest issues. MP has adapted a bit to not get crushed and be of some use in parts of the ice where his size is an issue. Eakin is not close yet.

The only thing you might be able to question BB is on not pulling gapping 5 hole after three goals. Otherwise you're just "pointing out" issues that weren't a huge factor in loss so you can be like, "Well in game 20, 10:40 of the 2nd, X player looked right instead of left FIRE BB even though I don't even have the slightest bit of knowledge compared to him!"

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

OK, its like 2:55 in the morning, a bit ****ed up, just finished the game and all i got out of it is: OV was good, the team played not too bad and Vokoun... he has 2 modes: really good or really bad, fortunately, he plays well more often than not... but still very shaky game, he lost it for us, later coaching staff will have to recognize when he sucks - early. He is a vet he can take it.
Really didn't see 5-3 (the wrong way) coming...

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Some of his *****ing is just absurd. The team is 9-3-0. It's the regular season. They're not going to win them all.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:37 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 5585
If MP had 2 points I wouldn't wonder so much about sitting Eakin. Its not about wins and losses. If Eakin was in injury fill in, who got healthy? MP should have been in the lineup all along if he was deserving. Dont get me wrong, i love getting a kid a game or two, but its sending the wrong message to sit him after a 1+1 game. I want our top prospects to play and bet so does George. I'd find a way to keep a top prospect after 2 points in the lineup one more game, get him a good taste of what he needs to work on.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-06-2011 at 06:57 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

In my mind, Bruce screwed the pooch on this one. his "hunch" of shuffling the lines hurt the team and then the fail goaltending let them down.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

its good that he acknowledges it, just like he did after tampa...but sooner or later, your actions have to speak louder than your words. more apologies are just going to ring hollow if he keeps letting in soft goals. losing because the other team and/or goalie played better is 1 thing, losing due to such weak individual mistakes in net is another. in those 2 games, from a points perspective it should be caps 4, bolts/isles 0; instead its caps 2, opponents 3.

at the end of the day i just hope the guy sharpens up over the course of the season and delivers on his expectations. is nov 5 still his "slow start"?

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:13 AM
txpd

i didnt watch the game. i heard portions thru the static driving back from the track in atlanta last night(flashmobile won another race). But were the Caps not ahead 2-0 after the first? Seems to me that the lineup changes were effective.

So, how did Boudreau screw the pooch? Vokoun had a very bad game and the team couldnt recover from it this time.

Lastly, if Boudreau screwed a pooch over scratching Eakin it was a pretty small pooch.
If the Caps are winning or losing over which of Eakin and Perreault get to play, they have bigger problems. Is there any evidence at all that Eakin was actually healthy? Beagle still doesnt have a concussion yet based on team statements.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:42 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I wouldn't say BB's screwed the pooch, but mixing up the lineup to the point that the very effective 3rd line was altered I didn't understand. As good as that line has been playing, I would of prefered that line stay together no matter what. That wasn't the case, and the 4 lines of fury we saw the night before never seemed to get on track. Won't say that was the sole reason for the lost last night, but it appeared to play a part.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:07 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

It's a regular season game. One rather meaningless. BB needs to find other workable options throughout the season. Also if he's going to instil discipline. Some regular season hunches may backfire as well.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i didnt watch the game. i heard portions thru the static driving back from the track in atlanta last night(flashmobile won another race). But were the Caps not ahead 2-0 after the first? Seems to me that the lineup changes were effective.

So, how did Boudreau screw the pooch? Vokoun had a very bad game and the team couldnt recover from it this time.

Lastly, if Boudreau screwed a pooch over scratching Eakin it was a pretty small pooch.
If the Caps are winning or losing over which of Eakin and Perreault get to play, they have bigger problems. Is there any evidence at all that Eakin was actually healthy? Beagle still doesnt have a concussion yet based on team statements.
From the highlights there seemed to be too many Islanders left in front of the net, Wideman was watching a number of point blank goals.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:19 AM
txpd

thats dennis wideman. he's an offensive d with a questionable defensive game. was that a lineup change? with green out of the lineup, he is going to pick up minutes.

the score was 2-0 and the next two Islanders goals were brutal and wideman had nothing to do with it. wideman got outmuscled by a bigger player for the 3rd goal.

that game is nothing without those first two goals against.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

2nd game of a back-to-back. Goalie was terrible. Skaters played well enough to win.

Losses like this happen. Cody Eakin wouldn't have won that game for the Caps.

It's game 12 of an 82 game season. Move on.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Icetime

Lots of positives so far this year.

Don't let up on these young players coach.

They need more and more discipline.

It's all they need.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm not saying sitting Eakin was the fault. Honestly, that didn't matter.

I just didn't get his desire to try and break up the 3rd line (and also the effective 4th) when they have been the best all season.

It was obvious when the 3rd line was out there last night, they were too much for the Isles to match. Yet, he wants to break it up as fast as he can.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats dennis wideman. he's an offensive d with a questionable defensive game. was that a lineup change? with green out of the lineup, he is going to pick up minutes.

the score was 2-0 and the next two Islanders goals were brutal and wideman had nothing to do with it. wideman got outmuscled by a bigger player for the 3rd goal.

that game is nothing without those first two goals against.
I just want to understand. Losing a battle in front of your net that results in the one decent goal your goaltender gave up and not picking up your man on the 4th goal, yes it shouldn't have gotten by Vokoun to begin with but Wideman had lost his man and was doing nothing about it, is ok because the 1st 2 goals were poor ones on the goaltender's part?

I don't buy that. Sometimes your goaltender pulls the rest of the team's butt out of the fire and sometimes the rest of the team needs to pull their goaltender's butt out. Vokoun was poor but the Caps were in a position to get something out of the game nonetheless. Wideman not doing his job twice definitely hurt their ability to do that. Vokoun's play doesn't excuse that for me.

Is this game a big deal in the whole scheme of things with respect to this season? IMO no. Does this thread reiterate the tremendous amount of hypocrisy that permeate these boards? Yeah...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Breaking up the third line was seemingly done to try to get the second line going. It's usually the weakest of the lines in terms of cycling and sustaining pressure. Problem is Laich is a much better fit at 3C where he doesn't have to drive that style of play and that's what that line really needs. Ward may be the best fit there as too often it's more of a speed/perimeter line between 28 & 90. Semin has to be better regardless as leading the team in PIM and sporting a team-worst +/- is pretty bad. His toe-dragerama is particularly ill-fitting these days.

Eakin is not going to bring that consistency element to the second line but he does do quite a few subtle things pretty well. He's not entirely ready but he was the hot hand in some respects and often that's something Boudreau takes advantage of more fully.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I get mixing things up to get something like the 2nd line going, but I wish it wasn't done at the 3rd lines expense. Thats my only beef with last night. Other than that, as was said, 2nd game of a back-to-back. Learn from it and move on.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The thing is, though, that reworked 3rd line started the scoring, and Halpern was a part of it. Can't fault that so much especially since the Caps controlled the play for that period.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i still wonder if they're looking for a player for the top two lines at some point in the near future.

thus the kicking the tires on Turris.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Imagine when semin gets going....

Sure would be nice to have hannan plus cap/ltir space for a second liner over sarge....

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:37 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Imagine when Semin gets injured...

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:44 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

Sure would be nice to have hannan plus cap/ltir space for a second liner over sarge....
Well Getzlaf seemed to get Sasha "going" by pestering Shasha so why not instead of Halpurn giving Carlson nut shots in a victory celebration, he sneak up on Sasha in a scrum and snipe him to fire him up? Hey it could work.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I just want to understand. Losing a battle in front of your net that results in the one decent goal your goaltender gave up and not picking up your man on the 4th goal, yes it shouldn't have gotten by Vokoun to begin with but Wideman had lost his man and was doing nothing about it, is ok because the 1st 2 goals were poor ones on the goaltender's part?

I don't buy that. Sometimes your goaltender pulls the rest of the team's butt out of the fire and sometimes the rest of the team needs to pull their goaltender's butt out. Vokoun was poor but the Caps were in a position to get something out of the game nonetheless. Wideman not doing his job twice definitely hurt their ability to do that. Vokoun's play doesn't excuse that for me.

Is this game a big deal in the whole scheme of things with respect to this season? IMO no. Does this thread reiterate the tremendous amount of hypocrisy that permeate these boards? Yeah...
Yes, something a goalie picks up a team's poor play and sometimes the team picks up the goalie's poor play. Isn't that what happened in Vokoun's first game? Reality is that more often that not at this level you dont get picked up when your game lets the team down.

Second reality. Dennis Wideman's game is prone to coverage mistakes on occasion and he is certainly not immune to being outmuscled as he is not a big nor physical player. He got caught in a matchup where he was overmatched for gga 3 and goofed on gga 4. Its Wideman. This was not Chara getting overmatched or blowing a read.

Thats my point. Wideman has been overperforming on offense and has been consistantly better than his average on defense. He got beat doing something that is not his forte.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
In my mind, Bruce screwed the pooch on this one. his "hunch" of shuffling the lines hurt the team and then the fail goaltending let them down.
Lol...for reals? Vokoun is the only goat needed at this weeks sacrifice. No sense in misplacing blame.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
i still wonder if they're looking for a player for the top two lines at some point in the near future.

thus the kicking the tires on Turris.
This being the 2nd time that ive seen you post something in reguards to us kicking the tires on Turris....did I miss something I didn't realize we were kicking the tires on him??

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote