HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Nov 5 | W 5-3

Old
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
and why not? they played physical and got a win against one of the best teams in the entire league. they play better when they play physical.
You just notice it more when they win.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
He started the play on the Martin goal? He made at least two smart plays with the puck in his own end. Bailey has been good the last 4 games. People can **** on him for the low production, but watch what he's doing on the ice. He played 11:50 and was effective. Not sure what more people are expecting. If he's playing smart and hard, then he'll improve (and he has been for the last little while.)

More on topic, I'm glad they switched up the lines. Not exactly the combos I would have chosen, but we finally put some speed up with Tavares to get to loose pucks. Battles along the boards and getting to loose pucks was the problem with our previous 5-on-5 arrangements.

I really hope we find a way to get Martin more ice. He brings much more to the table than we're allowing for. (Would have liked him to have had a major role at the Bridge developing that, but while he has the confidence going, let's get him some more ice.)

Nice to see us beat the Caps.

Mitch
i think they nailed the line one combo, actually. i was pleasantly surprised to see the second line gel so well.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Isles Junkie

test

awesome win. Feels good man

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:12 PM
kpap57

Great win. Lets turn some positive light on this team. Isles earned points in 3 of there last 4

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i think they nailed the line one combo, actually. i was pleasantly surprised to see the second line gel so well.
I was always a proponent of Grabner on JT's wing because getting to loose pucks in all zones was the issue with his line. I think the Moulson-JT-PAP combo is only good against slower and less physical teams (which I've mentioned before) where they can grind it out and get to loose pucks in the o-zone while not getting overpowered in the defensive zone. I'd rather Moulson drop down to 2nd line and Grabner stay on JT's left side with any of Comeau/KO/Martin providing strength and/or grit on the right side.

You'll find plenty of combos I've put up in the past that spread speed and strength throughout our lines. Battles along the boards in our own end and getting to loose pucks in all zones were the biggest causes of our 5-on-5 woes and hefty minuses.

I've always felt that PAP could still be effective playing lower because of his effort as long as he was with quicker and/or more aware linemates. I just never thought he complemented JT's line, in fact I felt that line enhanced its own weaknesses except when playing teams that couldn't exploit them.

Regardless of all of that, our effort has picked up the past few games no matter what the line combos were. Better line combos that mix speed and grit around the lineup while the effort increases should bring forth better results.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Trots19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I was always a proponent of Grabner on JT's wing because getting to loose pucks in all zones was the issue with his line. I think the Moulson-JT-PAP combo is only good against slower and less physical teams (which I've mentioned before) where they can grind it out and get to loose pucks in the o-zone while not getting overpowered in the defensive zone. I'd rather Moulson drop down to 2nd line and Grabner stay on JT's left side with any of Comeau/KO/Martin providing strength and/or grit on the right side.

You'll find plenty of combos I've put up in the past that spread speed and strength throughout our lines. Battles along the boards in our own end and getting to loose pucks in all zones were the biggest causes of our 5-on-5 woes and hefty minuses.

I've always felt that PAP could still be effective playing lower because of his effort as long as he was with quicker and/or more aware linemates. I just never thought he complemented JT's line, in fact I felt that line enhanced its own weaknesses except when playing teams that couldn't exploit them.

Regardless of all of that, our effort has picked up the past few games no matter what the line combos were. Better line combos that mix speed and grit around the lineup while the effort increases should bring forth better results.

Mitch
would love to see Grabner, JT, Okposo together!!

Trots19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:30 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
As someone who was sadly unable to watch this game because I was at the Arizona/Utah game seeing my Wildcats get destroyed...can someone please tell me what the line differences were for this game? Whatever they were it seemed to work well!

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Coliseum Roof Leaking

reading on twitter fans had to be moved because of the cieling was leaking

NYIslanders NYIslanders
The #Isles apologize for any fans that needed to be moved tonight due to the leaking ceiling. Thank you for your patience.

Anyone effected by this at the game? what an embarrassment - 4 more years!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

PA will never be fast, but his skating is noticeably better this year. i'm glad for him. again, i'm really just hoping that the shakeup helps some of the less productive guys like KO and BC.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

NYIslanders NYIslanders
The #Isles apologize for any fans that needed to be moved tonight due to the leaking ceiling. Thank you for your patience.

Was it even raining?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Islesny91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

NYIslanders NYIslanders

was in that section but it was the upper rows. They got moved to a lower section so I don't think they were too upset.

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Awesome game. I'm glad I got a chance to go the Coliseum to see to teams that I'm impartial to. I felt like it was a great atmosphere at the arena tonight. Something I hadn't seen/felt in a while.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Was it even raining?
That's the thing It hasn't been raining since that freak snow storm.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Awesome game. I'm glad I got a chance to go the Coliseum to see to teams that I'm impartial to. I felt like it was a great atmosphere at the arena tonight. Something I hadn't seen/felt in a while.
I get tickets to Ranger games and see them a few times a year, I hate them with a passion but I always have a fun time at the Garden watching them play. Great energy from the fans..

Same goes for Tampa Bay, I caught a lightning game last season down in St.Pete and the crowd is into it. Love seeing the sport do good overall

Old
11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Mundy
Crikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Was it even raining?
It's always...

!

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
As someone who was sadly unable to watch this game because I was at the Arizona/Utah game seeing my Wildcats get destroyed...can someone please tell me what the line differences were for this game? Whatever they were it seemed to work well!
check out the 1st post in this thread. the line changes are there http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1022447

The 2nd line in particular stood out tonight.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Stercrazy

I thought they played a pretty good game tonight although it seems that they are still having problems passing the puck. Ever watch a woman wear high heels but she's not used to it? That's what it looks like sometimes. But I liked their effort tonight.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:54 PM
StumpNYI

They win when I dont watch...I should stop I guess.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Mundy
Crikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
They win when I dont watch...I should stop I guess.
They win about every other game I watch... I have no idea what to do

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:23 PM
JKP

Just finished watching on the dvr. Good effort, nice win. Something to build on. Hopefully we've started to turn a corner.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Just finished watching on the dvr. Good effort, nice win. Something to build on. Hopefully we've started to turn a corner.
Feel the same...

Sure hope they can take some momentum here.

Can hardly believe they scored again. That goal by Martin was such a beaut!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:53 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Awesome game. Very happy.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Just got home from work (I put up the glass on the south end of the RBC Center, the side the Stars will be defending twice tomorrow afternoon), so I'm just reading the thread now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srednalsi View Post
DP has a bad habit of closing his eyes on shots. Watch closely on an HD feed in slow motion. Something that should have been corrected a loooong time ago as a goalie.

Any chance we see Montoya come out in the second period? This is getting old fast.
What were the lines tonight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
good game!

Frans with his best game ytd...Bailey a bit better too.

solid play by DiPietro though he always seems to be one step away from disaster...he played well though seemed like he was really trying to not overplay the puck. Just keep doing that and keep boneheaded plays to a minumum. Can't fault him really on any of the goals against. Was funny though at the end EVERYONE knows what he was thinking on that empty net.

PAP good for him. Does not belong on first line and I'm ok with him as third liner.

What a game by Martin. He was all over the place - like every game he has played in so far this year. Ok with him on third line but the guy needs to be playing more minutes.

Noticed KO even managed to get a shot on net - not wide by three feet!

Better game by Hamonic...
He looked better? The wife asked me, in reference to Christmas, "You wanted that "Harmonic" guy if you get a jersey?"

I dont' want to jump the gun too much on getting a Hamonic jersey...

I've heard this before, DP closing his eyes on shots. No, I'm not making this up.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Just saw the highlights on NHL Network, they had Parenteau on the phone as well.

Real good effort by both Nielsen and Parenteau on their goals. Nice play by Martin as well.

The goals the Caps scored looked to be all solid goals, despite the DP haters wanting to say he gave up soft goals as always. But unless he gets a shutout there's going to be issues. Glad people here aren't the coaches.

Nice goal by Rolston too, what a slap shot!

Great win, hoping we can continue the point outburst in the next game.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
talenttracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
I know I just said earlier we would lose 5-1 but I just had a feeling that JT is going to have a good game. Isles win 6-4. Call me crazy because chances are I am very wrong.

Tavares 2 goals, Nielsen, Streit, Reasoner, Jurcina with the others.
Close enough :-)

talenttracer is offline   Reply With Quote