HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Nov 5 | W 5-3

Old
11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
The goals the Caps scored looked to be all solid goals, despite the DP haters wanting to say he gave up soft goals as always.
In general my rule of thumb is I expect the goalie to make the first save 95% of the time, anything after that is the fault of the defense. To many of DP's goal let in this year were on first shot. While none of the goals he let in tonight were terrible it would have been nice if he could have found a way to make that first save on one of those(I'll give him a free pass on the AO goal but the other 2 were somewhat stopable)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:39 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Wow look at the party. I will lead with the good stuff: Great game by Martin, PAP looks better off the first line, Bailey starting to look like he woke up a little, more physical tonight, Rick played within his means, and they beat Ovi.

But then there is the bad. The most obvious was the three bad goals Vokoun let in. So yeah, luck helped the kids out a bunch tonight. Grabner and Tavares do not look good together. I am not surprised though, they don't seem like complimentary players.

But maybe they can build off of this. I'll take wins anyway they come. Lucky, or otherwise.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Islanders1932

I have to say I liked seeing Grabner on JTs line. Also JT deserves so much credit. He is out there working his ass off every shift. Its a great thing to see. Also, if we win Monday vs. Boston and are sitting at .500 I will be extremely happy given how poorly we played a few of these games. Time to go on a hot streak

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I am not surprised though, they don't seem like complimentary players.
You have it wrong, both players are very complimentary of each other.

But I agree with you, JT and Grabner don't complement each other enough; Grabner doesn't read the play well, therefore, he won't take advantage of playing off of JT's creativity. I'd prefer to see KO on that line, I think his style meshes well with JT in fact, their board play and the way they read off of each other.

Any who, solid win; especially given the context of coming back from 2, then taking the lead with minutes remaining despite the Caps evening the score. Good teams can do that.

I still do not feel comfortable with DP in the net, his biggest flaw of automatically dropping to his knees is still haunting him, and is compounded by his rehabbed body.

AMac and Hammer had their best games of the season, as did many of the Isles.

JT continues to marvel me, the way he protects the puck WITH SPEED and strength around the net is Crosby-esque. The puck is like magnetized to his stick. Once he plays with better line mates, his point totals will rise exponentially b/c better players will capitalize on his wizardry.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Islanders1932

After each game we should have a favorite quote from the opposing teams GDT. I nominate this for tonight.

Context: Talking about Volkoun's terrible play tonight

Quote:
Leakier than the Coliseum's roof.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
DP should not be starting. What a joke! He has proven he is the 3rd string but apparently Wang wants to show off his bad investment.

Just gave away my tickets for tonight based on DP playing.
And you missed your team's biggest win of the year so far. Hope you're proud lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
Just saw the highlights on NHL Network, they had Parenteau on the phone as well.

Real good effort by both Nielsen and Parenteau on their goals. Nice play by Martin as well.

The goals the Caps scored looked to be all solid goals, despite the DP haters wanting to say he gave up soft goals as always. But unless he gets a shutout there's going to be issues. Glad people here aren't the coaches.

Nice goal by Rolston too, what a slap shot!

Great win, hoping we can continue the point outburst in the next game.
Despite it being Ovechkin, he's gotta stop an unscreened slap shot from 55+ feet out. Other than that, and losing sight of the puck a couple times, he played well. No need to blame him on the other goals.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Trots19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Despite it being Ovechkin, he's gotta stop an unscreened slap shot from 55+ feet out. Other than that, and losing sight of the puck a couple times, he played well. No need to blame him on the other goals.

unscreened?? Watch it again, went through the defenders legs. add that to the fact it is coming off the stick one of the best one timers in the game today. cant fault him for that. I said it earlier in this thread, Vokoun played a bad game, he let in soft goals, DP played well, not great but played good.

Trots19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Good night for the boys, big comeback win against a quality opponent. Now we need to build on this and not go into a spiral again.

As for my night, think you guys will like this:

I'm an Isles fan, friend is a Ranger fan, other two friends are Montreal fans, another guy was a college football fan and we were all looking to do something tonight. NYR-MTL game was on NHL Network so pretty much a lot of people didn't have the game available tonight (AT&T, GameCenterLive, etc). On top of that, I live in South Florida -- basically, good f-cking luck getting hockey on a TV in a bar with the LSU-Alabama game.

A sports bar couldn't solve our problems so I decided to figure it out myself. Found a splitter, brought a DTV box and three other TV's down into the living room, and rearranged the furniture...

Among other games during the night:
60" - DirecTV - MTL-NYR
52" - DirecTV - LSU-Alabama
46" - Xbox - OSU-KSU (Wanted ND-WF, but it was blacked out)
40" - Laptop - NYI-WAS on GameCenter Live

Buddy brought over a bunch of Molson's and we ordered some pizza. All in all (with an Isles win), a good night.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
ilovemarkmessier

We learned tonight that Grabner and J.T. are not good together. We learned that Ricks gonna be the starting goalie barring injury. We learned that P.A. does not need J.T. to be productive player.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Oxim Oresi

Maybe Tavares was holding Parenteau back all this time

Oxim Oresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Good night for the boys, big comeback win against a quality opponent. Now we need to build on this and not go into a spiral again.

As for my night, think you guys will like this:

I'm an Isles fan, friend is a Ranger fan, other two friends are Montreal fans, another guy was a college football fan and we were all looking to do something tonight. NYR-MTL game was on NHL Network so pretty much a lot of people didn't have the game available tonight (AT&T, GameCenterLive, etc). On top of that, I live in South Florida -- basically, good f-cking luck getting hockey on a TV in a bar with the LSU-Alabama game.

A sports bar couldn't solve our problems so I decided to figure it out myself. Found a splitter, brought a DTV box and three other TV's down into the living room, and rearranged the furniture...

Among other games during the night:
60" - DirecTV - MTL-NYR
52" - DirecTV - LSU-Alabama
46" - Xbox - OSU-KSU (Wanted ND-WF, but it was blacked out)
40" - Laptop - NYI-WAS on GameCenter Live

Buddy brought over a bunch of Molson's and we ordered some pizza. All in all (with an Isles win), a good night.

Very nice mancave Law.

11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
HookeyPookey*

TWO QUESTIONS

1. Was it a sell out tonight? Alot of people seemed to be there atmosphere was for change great.

2. Best place to find pictures of the Islanders ice girls?

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:39 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
We learned tonight that Grabner and J.T. are not good together. We learned that Ricks gonna be the starting goalie barring injury. We learned that P.A. does not need J.T. to be productive player.
I don't know where you get the DP starting goalie thing from. Each goalie looks like they are going to get 4 starts each and go from there.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:23 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Islanders do not have enough talent, therefore they are a team that needs to work twice as hard and play twice as smart...I finally seen that effort last night. Good job!

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:26 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
In general my rule of thumb is I expect the goalie to make the first save 95% of the time, anything after that is the fault of the defense. To many of DP's goal let in this year were on first shot. While none of the goals he let in tonight were terrible it would have been nice if he could have found a way to make that first save on one of those(I'll give him a free pass on the AO goal but the other 2 were somewhat stopable)
DiPietro's biggest problem is he never makes a big save. I can't remember the last time he did something like this.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:33 AM
crashthenet

PA's best game as an Islander. He had good jump all night. Okposo, Comeau and Rolston all look pretty expendable. DP's 10th year s a pro and still refuses to acknowledge he is an asset in the net and a liability out of the net. Getting that assist masks several terrible plays with the puck.

Happy with the win but maybe a trade is in order.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Hip Of Rick

Taped the game and watched it late,did not read anything yet. Still only 40 minutes of effort tonight and the reason for the win was Vokoun. Vokoun was flat out awful he played like a high school goalie. The Nielson, Rolston, and PAP goals were all very weak goals and the Isles were able to take advantage.

Despite the solid play of the PAP and Nielson, and despite the goal, Rolston still looked a passenger always a half step behind the play. It is obvious after the win when they showed Weight and Rolston giving each other bro fives that Weight is the reason Rolston is here.

DP played well and kept the team in it. The OV goal should have been stopped but he so far in the 2011-2012 season DP has not been a problem. It is unfair to hate on DP for sucking the past 4 years right now. We all know he sucked, he was either the worst goalie in the league or injured during that time but, this year he has played well.

Grabner and Okposo still look awful, two of the weakest players I have ever seen. No fight or drive in either of them.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Taped the game and watched it late,did not read anything yet. Still only 40 minutes of effort tonight and the reason for the win was Vokoun. Vokoun was flat out awful he played like a high school goalie. The Nielson, Rolston, and PAP goals were all very weak goals and the Isles were able to take advantage.

Despite the solid play of the PAP and Nielson, and despite the goal, Rolston still looked a passenger always a half step behind the play. It is obvious after the win when they showed Weight and Rolston giving each other bro fives that Weight is the reason Rolston is here.

DP played well and kept the team in it. The OV goal should have been stopped but he so far in the 2011-2012 season DP has not been a problem. It is unfair to hate on DP for sucking the past 4 years right now. We all know he sucked, he was either the worst goalie in the league or injured during that time but, this year he has played well.

Grabner and Okposo still look awful, two of the weakest players I have ever seen. No fight or drive in either of them.
I think KO looks bad. Maybe the worst on the team right now (for what I was hoping for). Then again, he missed a large chunk of the season last year; i'm hopeful he'll do better after the 1st quarter is over.

As for DP, I agree that he looked pretty good, but the Ovi goal was just too far out to be let in. A one-defensemen screened shot from just in the blue line? I don't care if it was Al Iafrate taking the shot, it should be stopped,,,, but that's just me. On the whole, he looked good while in the net. Wish he's stay there more, but I'll take what I'm getting out of him with the hope that the softer goals become fewer.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:58 AM
IslesNorway

Isles won this game because they never actually gave up and also because they finally got a break and scored when the game was hanging in the balance at 3-3. Hopefully they can build some confidence from this

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:34 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
You have it wrong, both players are very complimentary of each other.

But I agree with you, JT and Grabner don't complement each other enough; Grabner doesn't read the play well, therefore, he won't take advantage of playing off of JT's creativity. I'd prefer to see KO on that line, I think his style meshes well with JT in fact, their board play and the way they read off of each other.
Grabner's a difficult player to play with. He's a loose cannon, in more ways than one. I've played hockey with player like him, rockets on wheels that don't really know how to play with other players. Grabner's a really young player still, not just age, but NHL experience, he'll need to figure things out. He's still too much a perimeter player but I'm afraid he simply lacks hockey sense (like Comeau) and offensive instincts. Schremp had great hockey sense but was too small, too slow, too soft to play in the NHL. All players have flaws, in the end, all you want is a GM that puts balance on the ice so players complEment one another and a coach that gets maximum effort.

I'd give Grabner-JT more time together because if they find chemistry, they are supreme talents. Okposo has the potential to be a perfect fit with Tavares too.

I always wanted to see:
Bailey - Tavares - Okposo

I like Grabner with Nielsen and Martin. Generally, I like the idea of mixing up the lines. I always hated the lines on this team. I still do, somewhat.

Quote:
Any who, solid win; especially given the context of coming back from 2, then taking the lead with minutes remaining despite the Caps evening the score. Good teams can do that.

I still do not feel comfortable with DP in the net, his biggest flaw of automatically dropping to his knees is still haunting him, and is compounded by his rehabbed body.
We all wince when he's in net or when he's slow to get up, for sure. He's got to earn the respect of teammates and fans again, no doubt about it. But he's moved really well this year. He looks like a different goalie than he was. He looks like his OLD self. (that could mean different things - but he's been good)

One thing I like most about DiPietro's game, especially as a goalie, was his confidence and how he battled for every save. That mental toughness is huge for a goalie and not all goalies have that. I'm starting to see some of that come back. Good sign.

James Reimer of the Leafs is just incredibly calm and poised in net. He rarely gets upset with himself, slams his stick - never shows any emotion. Just smooth and efficient and the team plays well for him. I see Kevin Poulin like that. Montoya as well. Rick isn't. Rick's a battler and this team needs more intensity and fight in them.

Nabokov is a solid goalie, I just never liked that crap last year. I'm not as forgiving as others but in the end, whomever plays best should play most. Right now, they are all playing well, thankfully.

Quote:

AMac and Hammer had their best games of the season, as did many of the Isles.

JT continues to marvel me, the way he protects the puck WITH SPEED and strength around the net is Crosby-esque. The puck is like magnetized to his stick. Once he plays with better line mates, his point totals will rise exponentially b/c better players will capitalize on his wizardry.
Watched the Pens-Kings game last night, Kopitar is a marvelous player who plays exactly that way. Kopitar is bigger than JT, stronger and more experienced - but a HELLOFVA player that we don't get to see that often.

Tavares is a unique talent, he really doesn't compare well to anyone. He's played great this whole season and he's improved in EVERY area of his game.

One MAIN difference is the amount of chances Tavares generates ALL BY HIMSELF, compared to other offensive players - it's dramatically different. Say what you will about Moulson's 30 goals and Parenteau's 20 - but Tavares RARELY gets the benefit of his linemates.

Kopitar is out there with Doughty, Simon Gagne, Justin Williams - Mike Richards on the PP...they complEment one another well because they all have skill, vision, hockey sense. Simply far more talent around him.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:51 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The Laich goal was a good shot but over the glove hand short side high and 25' out. DP had no reason to be on his knees for that and he could have gotten a glove on it or stopped it if he was up on his feet where he should have been. No screen, far enough out, he should have not been down.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Not sure if you watched the game on TV or live. But the first goal was clearly deflected up in the slot. If a goalie stops that puck its only because the puck hit him and not because he saved it.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:02 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Not sure if you watched the game on TV or live. But the first goal was clearly deflected up in the slot. If a goalie stops that puck its only because the puck hit him and not because he saved it.
Here are my thoughts and im sure ill get eaten alive, despite the win:

The islanders are not that good. 3 terrible goals by Vokoun were the breaks the isles needed to get a much needed win.

Isles just dont have the talent. You have JT and thats about it. Everybody else works hard but cant seem to find that finishing touch.

DP is a shaky goalie whose glove hand is non existant.

The effort should be there monday, but thomas or rask will not be giving away free goals.

Take the win and hope it builds some confidence, but a repeat performance monday in terms of being unable to simply clear a puck out of your own zone????? And you get killed.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Renbarg

Before this game, the Islanders couldn't force the puck into the net for 4 straight games. That was bad luck. A number of pucks could have snuck in on a number of occasions.

Yes, Vokoun was brutal. But those are the breaks. There was a few opportunities that the Islanders had that could have gone in but didn't because Vokoun robbed them, or they just missed the net.

The biggest thing I take from this game, is that the defense was solid once again. Ricky let in a weak 2nd goal but other then that, there were no problems. Defense is still our weak spot and the longer this keeps up the better.

This is the game that the Islanders stopped getting unlucky. The effort has been consistently high the past 5 games.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote