HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Nov 5 | W 5-3

Old
11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
BossyMVP

vCash: 500
Isles come out strong with 5 shots on net in the 1st 5 minutes and end the game with 18 shots on goal, 2 off the post, and 14 stuck in the net behind the glass.

Caps score 6 on us this game...only 5 of which will be DP's fault and one off the stick of Jurcina. We will finally get a goal with 2 minutes 35 seconds left in the 3rd period. And once again, we will wonder why Rolston got 16 minutes of ice time.

Tonights lines:
Moulson-Tavares-Grabner;
Rolston-Nielsen-Parenteau;
Comeau-Reasoner-Okposo;
Pandolfo-Bailey-Martin.

https://twitter.com/#!/StapeNewsday/...23733177040896

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-05-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Lineups from twitter, (MOD: added link)
BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyMVP View Post

Tonights lines:
Moulson-Tavares-Grabner;
Rolston-Nielsen-Parenteau;
Comeau-Reasoner-Okposo;
Pandolfo-Bailey-Martin.
Not even close to what I would have done. but we shall see.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
OpAck

This coming Thursday would be 3 weeks since Monty has played. This 3-goalie circus is pretty ridiculous.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

If this turns into an unwarranted DP crap show you will be infracted and removed from the GDT. Consider this your warning!

11-05-2011, 10:25 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
This coming Thursday would be 3 weeks since Monty has played. This 3-goalie circus is pretty ridiculous.
Very fair comment and spot on. Hopefully we can state a fair and honest opinion in here about any of the players the Islanders put on the ice without any over reactions.

I'd rather have ANY of the two rather than the three below. One needs to go to the Bridge but we all know who it will never be. Sorry Al.

# Goalie GPI GAA W L OT Sv%
20 Evgeni Nabokov 4 2.23 1 2 0 0 .927
35 Al Montoya 4 2.02 2 2 0 0 .930
39 Rick DiPietro 3 2.50 0 1 2 0 .909

Stats don't say it all but they say enough sometimes...

The goalie who has earned 3 starts in a row to me is Montoya.

You cannot win games if you don't score but I'd rather have Montoya in goal over either Nabakov or DiPietro. Fewer turnovers it seems to me and less pressure on defense when #39 is not in the game. I'd love to see a stat on how many times DP turns the puck over vs Montoya.

Last edited by On Edge: 11-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.
On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I was actually going to go to the game tonight because I wanted to see Alex Ovechkin VS Tavares but with DP in net it wont be much of a contest.

Such disrespect to Montoya

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
BossyMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
If this turns into an unwarranted DP crap show you will be infracted and removed from the GDT. Consider this your warning!
In all fairness to DP, he is the least of our worries in the last 6 games. No matter who we put in net, unless the other team has -1 goals a game, we can't win.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Rolston on the 2nd line?? Really Cap?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:49 AM
isleskovalchuk

I really thought Montoya would be in, but DP hasnt been the problem. Though it is disrespectful to Al

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Rolston on the 2nd line?? Really Cap?
Yeah I don't get it. I'd much rather they go with something like

PAP JT Grabner
Moulson Neilsen Okposo
Comeau Reasoner Martin
Rolston Bailey Pandolfo

and truthfully, I'd bench Rolston & call up Haley

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 11-05-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyMVP View Post
In all fairness to DP, he is the least of our worries in the last 6 games. No matter who we put in net, unless the other team has -1 goals a game, we can't win.
This. Everyone saying he's going to let in 5 or 6 goals is quite comical. DP has played pretty damn well in all the games he appeared in so far.

Goaltending is NOT the issue right, I repeat NOT the issue right now. The team can't score goals.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
MTK

DP should not be starting. What a joke! He has proven he is the 3rd string but apparently Wang wants to show off his bad investment.

Just gave away my tickets for tonight based on DP playing.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

The lines for tonight as reported by Art Staple...my take....

Matt Moulson-John Tavares-Michael Grabner
This is a no-brainer. It is a trio of 30 goal players (I know JT had 29, but close enough). My concern is there is no one who can bang on this unit — no big body, and where we miss a guy like Nino. That said, Grabner's speed may open things up a bit.

Brian Rolston-Frans Nielsen-PA Parenteau
The problem we have right now is tha we don't have a true 2nd line center. I agree with Art Staple — Neilsen is a 3rd line players and is over-reaching here. That said, his passing skills may unleash Rolston a bit, and his shot. P.A. is an assist type player as well — but ultimately, I have little hope for this group.

Blake Comeau-Marty Reasoner-Kyle Okposo
I think Okposo is a 3rd line guy at this point. He has has chemistry in the past with Comeau and I still wonder if he and COmeau should form a line with Bailey — although I have to again agree with Art Staple — Bailey does not deserve more ice time — then again, neither does Comeau. I would not have had him here.

Matt Martin-Josh Bailey-Jay Pandolfo
This is a line that can and should be fine on the wings, but at this point I have little faith in Josh Bailey. He is just not doing much of anything. Where I have real issue — Matt Martin. He should be on the third unit.

There is a real problem with the team right now. We are the 23 man limit. So making a roster move to Bridgeport is near impossible without sending a player down through waivers or a trade. We can't just bring Haley or DiBo or Ulstrom up (which is what I would like to do by the way) Matt Martin and Travis Hamonic are the only players I believe are available to move down to Bridgeport without passing through waivers — but those are two players doing well, and you dont want to send them down.

In order to open up some roster flexibility a move has to be made. Somehow, a trade has to come. One of the goalies and one of the wings likely will be traded before too long — it has to happen so we can begin to reward those who are playing well, and scratch those who are not.

My lines would be...
Matt Moulson-John Tavares-Michael Grabner

Brian Rolston-Josh Bailey-Kyle Okposo

Matt Martin-Frans Nielsen-PA Parenteau

Blake Comeau-Marty Reasoner-Jay Pandolfo

While Bailey DOES NOT deserve to be moved up, he is not going to be effective in a defensive roll of a 3rd or 4th line player. That just sets him up to fail. Until we can make a roster move, he has to slot into the 2nd line. Putting him in a defensive position makes little sense — he is not a defensive center. I would add that he and K.O had good chemistry in the past, and may be able to get their games on track by being together. My reasoning for Rolston on line 2 with Bailey is to be a calming influence on 2 guys who are snake bit, and need to relax and just play. Plus, Bailey's pass first mentality may again open up for Rolston's shot. Neilsen on the other had is a prototypical defensive center who could be a Selke finalist. Putting him with a banging shut-down guy like Martin and a guy who can sometimes find the net in P.A. at least makes some sense in my head. Reasoner and Pando can work with a Comeau who is just lost at this time...

On the P.P. — I would make it a point to have Streit and Rolston on the blue line together. I don't understand for the life of me why you would not want that rocket shot high and why Doug Weight has him on the half wall.

Defensively we have be fine — Streit's game will continue to improve as he gets it all back, A-Mac's health still concerns me.

I don't like DiPietro — never have, and never will. He continues to be immature in his judgment, and it will haunt us for years to come. He has not played "bad" but at the same time he has yet to pay for his bad decisions. Obviously the smartest thing the Isles can do is waive him to BP (no one will pick him up) and let Montoya and Nabakov take this season on.... Not by coincident — the losing began when DP came back...Im just saying....

This is going to be a very tough game obviously. Lets home the fresh lines and the loose practices, together with Streit's closed door speech gets us off to a good start, and a potential win.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Hip Of Rick

I really hope they trade Nabokov ASAP. I am usually one for trying to maximize value but the 3 goalie system does not work. Getting a 4th round pick for him or a 7th round pick is still getting the pick for "free" and it brings some consistency to the team. Snow is to stubborn to trade him for under value thus he is further killing the team the year.

DP has not been the problem this year, the system is the problem

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:06 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
This. Everyone saying he's going to let in 5 or 6 goals is quite comical. DP has played pretty damn well in all the games he appeared in so far.

Goaltending is NOT the issue right, I repeat NOT the issue right now. The team can't score goals.
Goaltending is one of the many issues we have. DP has not played well and hasn't earned his spot

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I really hope they trade Nabokov ASAP. I am usually one for trying to maximize value but the 3 goalie system does not work. Getting a 4th round pick for him or a 7th round pick is still getting the pick for "free" and it brings some consistency to the team. Snow is to stubborn to trade him for under value thus he is further killing the team the year.

DP has not been the problem this year, the system is the problem
He can't trade Nabokov for the very reason that he's here in the 1st place. They can't rely on Rick to stay on the ice.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
It's sad this must be mentioned every game.

Like it's been said many times, the goaltending has been our strength so far. I don't think there is a single loss so far I would blame on the goalies.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Goaltending is one of the many issues we have. DP has not played well and hasn't earned his spot
Umm what team are you watching? Clearly it must not be the same team everyone else is. I think most will agree the Defense and Goaltending haven't been a problem at all thus far.

As far as your DP comment, it's just silly to say something like that. He has given them a chance to win everygame. He has played pretty good. Very far off on your assessment of his game.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
He hasn't played as well as the other 2 goalies. But I wouldn't say he's played poorly. That 1st goal he let up in his 1st game was pretty awful. Other than that he's given the team a chance to win.

Sure there's the issue of how the team plays & how they position themselves when Rick is in net. But I really don't think it's right to say that he "has not played well and hasn't earned his spot."

I think he should be in the press box also, but he's been a lot better than you're giving him credit for.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:27 AM
rollin109

Kinda disappointed Martin doesnt get rewarded for his great effort thus far, I honestly wouldnt mind seeing him replace moulson on the first line.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:31 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

JT with Grabs, me likey. I'll be at the Coli, hopefully I see them score a goal for once.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:34 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
As someone who is far from a Ricky supporter, I have to disagree. He hasn't exactly been stealing games, but he's looked much better than most of us probably expected. Can't blame the guy when he's playing well enough to give this team a chance and they don't support him with any goals.

As others have said over the last couple years, if Ricky is healthy then he's gonna get most of the starts - whether he's earned them or not - thanks to Wang's buffoonery. Might as well thank our lucky stars he hasn't looked like half-injured crap so far.

11-05-2011, 11:46 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He hasn't played as well as the other 2 goalies. But I wouldn't say he's played poorly. That 1st goal he let up in his 1st game was pretty awful. Other than that he's given the team a chance to win.

Sure there's the issue of how the team plays & how they position themselves when Rick is in net. But I really don't think it's right to say that he "has not played well and hasn't earned his spot."

I think he should be in the press box also, but he's been a lot better than you're giving him credit for.
I don't think any goalie would have stopped that. He was moving to where the puck was going to hit him, it got deflected and hit the crossbar, rebound came out to Pavelski right in front for a easy goal. If that puck had not been deflected, it would have been a routine save. I have to disagree with this.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
disappointed that Martin is on the 4th line and that Montoya is not starting. Going to a party tonight and I am going to miss the game. I have watched all the games so far this year (3 in person) so hopefully by me changing my lineup I can change the teams luck.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Renbarg

Dipietro hasn't let in a bad goal this year. Even his first goal of the year was deflected off a stick, then went of the post right onto pavelski's stick. I seriously doubt that there is a goalie in the nhl who saw that puck and isn't going towards the near post like ricky was.

Last edited by Renbarg: 11-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote