HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#11 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Nov 5 | W 5-3

Old
11-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law

Last edited by Law: 11-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:53 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
disappointed that Martin is on the 4th line and that Montoya is not starting. Going to a party tonight and I am going to miss the game. I have watched all the games so far this year (3 in person) so hopefully by me changing my lineup I can change the teams luck.
Have to agree here...

Martin deserves more time on top 6 somewhere. I think he would open things up a bit for Tavares with any other winger on the other side other than Rolston.

DiPietro has not played badly as others have stated as far as making saves goes. However, my biggest thing with him from day one has been being involved and overplaying his position where the players on the ice hesitate when he handles the puck and causes more turnovers and poor play in front of him and he is not held accountable to the extent he should be.

IF he would JUST let the puck come to him and worry about his position everyone would just be better off. He thinks he is Broduer - he does have the skill to play the puck but the terrible judgement that he also has while playing it causes uncertainty and affects outlets negatively more than it helps. IMO he messes the team up because of this.

Would love seeing Montoya really get a chance because I think the team benefits.

That said...I will watch the game tonight and will be hoping for a break or two and a badly needed, solid win.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Islanders1932

Well tonight should be interesting...it will be funny if we win this game as opposed to all the others

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:16 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
Kinda disappointed Martin doesnt get rewarded for his great effort thus far, I honestly wouldnt mind seeing him replace moulson on the first line.
I have a feeling the Islanders 4th line will get just as much ice time as their 3rd line. It's like the Islanders have two 3rd lines.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Hershey Hockey

I'm excited for this game because I can watch it on regular TV and to see these new lines. I don't like PA on the second line, Okposo on the third line, and Martin on the fourth. I think it would have been better with Martin on the second, Okposo on the third, and PA on the fourth. VERY interested to see what Grabner does on the first line with Tavares and Moulson. I like Bailey being dropped to the fourth line. Hopefully he gets the message that he needs to get it together.

Montoya should be getting the start. Playing DP tonight is a mistake. His play did not reflect his numbers last game. He looked awful playing the puck and the way he let some of those rebounds go in front of the net was ridiculous. I think it was only because of the fact that Winnipeg is not that good either and couldn't capitalize on his miscues that we didn't get eaten alive that game. The Capitals will jump all over those mistakes and score easily.

I would not be surprised to see DP pulled early in the game after letting up a couple of bad goals. I'm not trying to be a DP basher, I'm just calling it how I see it. He does not have what it takes to backstop this team to a win over the red-hot Caps.

I'm guessing at a 7-3 win for the Caps. Grabner will thrive on the first line with JT and Moulson and make it clear that he's a much better fit for that line than Parenteau is.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I have a feeling the Islanders 4th line will get just as much ice time as their 3rd line. It's like the Islanders have two 3rd lines.
This.

Martin and Bailey will get a regular shift. Bailey maybe will get an odd PP shift. And Martin gets a shift here and there on the PK.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:14 PM
JKP

On the line changes, I think I would have tried this:

Matt Martin-John Tavares-Kyle Okposo
Matt Moulson-Josh Bailey-Michael Grabner
Blake Comeau-Frans Nielsen-PA Parenteau
Brian Rolston-Marty Reasoner-Jay Pandolfo

Tavares was pretty much a one-man show, so at least put some beef there to protect him a bit (Martin) and KO might get going with JT.

MM and Grabs add some scoring that might get Bailey going.

I really don't see Frans as a 2C, more a really solid 3C.

Stick all the old vets on the 4th.

Just my $0.02...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Bailey - Tavares - KO
Moulson - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Comeau - Parenteau/Nino
Rolston - Reasoner - Pandolfo

Obviously hasn't earned it to this point, but I say drop Bailey on JT's wing for a few games. We've seen what Tavares has done for Moulson and PA, maybe he can jump start Bailey's confidence. We've gotten glimpses here and there the past few seasons, there is some talent there, just need to find the elusive 'consistency'. If that can't get him going, he might be dangerously close to 'The Hilbert Zone'.

Kinda the same with KO, hasn't earned it, but JT may be able to get him going. JT turned Moulson and PA into legit and serviceable NHLers respectively, maybe he can do the same for players that should theoretically have a higher ceiling talent-wise.

2nd line logic is Nielsen is defensively responsible for Grabner who likes to leave the zone a little early and Moulson has a knack for going to the net, maybe he can clean up the trash when Grabs inevitably misses a breakaway.

3rd line is where PA belongs for one reason (talent level) and where Martin belongs for another (needs more than 4th line minutes). I drop Comeau here as I'm out of centers unless you move Reasoner up (Comeau centering the 4th line though?).

4th line can just be a shining monument to our pitiful offseason.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
I really thought Montoya would be in, but DP hasnt been the problem. Though it is disrespectful to Al
Exactly. DP's play will be just fine. But the team psyche, Monty's psyche, the emotional toll on the team knowing theres a political game not based on merit....

At least try and LOOK LIKE you want to win.

I still say 6-0.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Bailey - Tavares - KO

Obviously hasn't earned it to this point, but I say drop Bailey on JT's wing for a few games. We've seen what Tavares has done for Moulson and PA, maybe he can jump start Bailey's confidence. We've gotten glimpses here and there the past few seasons, there is some talent there, just need to find the elusive 'consistency'. If that can't get him going, he might be dangerously close to 'The Hilbert Zone'.

Kinda the same with KO, hasn't earned it, but JT may be able to get him going. JT turned Moulson and PA into legit and serviceable NHLers respectively, maybe he can do the same for players that should theoretically have a higher ceiling talent-wise.

2nd line logic is Nielsen is defensively responsible for Grabner who likes to leave the zone a little early and Moulson has a knack for going to the net, maybe he can clean up the trash when Grabs inevitably misses a breakaway.

3rd line is where PA belongs for one reason (talent level) and where Martin belongs for another (needs more than 4th line minutes). I drop Comeau here as I'm out of centers unless you move Reasoner up (Comeau centering the 4th line though?).

While he hasn't earned it, you could be right. Maybe JT is just the spark Bailey needs.

11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Going to my first game of the year, I have a feeling they are going to play really well tonight. If they don't this season will really start looking like its over already.

4-2 Islanders win!

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:38 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
While he hasn't earned it, you could be right. Maybe JT is just the spark Bailey needs.
IMO Bailey has been one of the teams best forwards the past couple of games, looks like he is starting to gain confidence. I would really like to see them test a line of Bailey-Tavares-Okposo for a couple of games.

Old
11-05-2011, 03:01 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Bailey - Tavares - KO

While he has not earned a top spot, he has the talent to be a top 6 guy and JT could use all the help he can get. Moulson and PAP just ain't doing it and it's worth a try before making a more drastic change or personel move...

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Islanders1932

I am 1-3 on the year with three shutouts, I was just invited to the game, should I stay home to try to help the team? or go to the game and hope for the best?

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Oxim Oresi

An injury is due.

Oxim Oresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:20 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I am 1-3 on the year with three shutouts, I was just invited to the game, should I stay home to try to help the team? or go to the game and hope for the best?
I would go if I was you. Finally changed up the lines they will win tonight.

Old
11-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Isles1983

Sorry guys and I hope they prove me wrong, but I have no faith in them when it comes to the Caps. They should pretend they are playing the Rangers every time they play. Then they'll win.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Andrea5174

Going into this season I was so excited to watch this team. The first handful of games they lived up it. Lately, meh. Not so much.

I will be flipping between this game and UFC 138. Thinking the UFC will be more exciting. At least I know it will be physical!!

Last edited by Andrea5174: 11-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:43 PM
srednalsi

Surprised Montoya is not getting the start and actually feel bad for the situation he is in. Let's hope DP makes Capuano look like a genius for starting him and not do what most of us feel like he will do.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

srednalsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Nyifan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Dipietro hasn't let in a bad goal this year. Even his first goal of the year was deflected off a stick, then went of the post right onto pavelski's stick. I seriously doubt that there is a goalie in the nhl who saw that puck and isn't going towards the near post like ricky was.
The last 2 games he let in a goal on The first shot. While he is not the problem, I do not have any confidence in him either.

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
the islanders have 4 3rd lines

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyifan12 View Post
The last 2 games he let in a goal on The first shot. While he is not the problem, I do not have any confidence in him either.
So!? He saved shot 2 through whatever. The team didn't score, he generally played well (a few hiccups early in last game's third period, which didn't lead to goals) and has kept the opposing team to 2 goals or less through regulation.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Please win...

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Symon Asher

I would have JT center the first and third lines
Yeah double shift him. Rolston to the bench and call up Ness as a 7th defenseman and spot him accordingly. The guy got wheels . The Isles are one of the slower teams in the NHL. Any speed would be helpful.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:22 PM
okie21

There would be no better night then tonight to get a big W here. We've played less games then any one in the confrence. That is no excuse for poor play, but starting tonight they don't have as many as 3 days off in a row untill the ASG. There's alot of hockey to be played over the next couple months, games prety much every other day. No more long breaks. Get a win tonight. Get some momentum going. With so few off days there's no better time then now to get on a roll.

I've taken a cautious but optimistic look at this season going in. But as quickly as we can put up extra points as we catch up from 2-4 less games as every body it could be over before Thanksgiving, again.

I'm really looking at Okposo tonight. He's been one of my favorite players since he was drafted, but he's not living up to what I thought he might have been. At this point I've put his draft position behind me and am just looking at him as an NHL player. It doesn't seem he'll ever be the guy I envisioned who scores 30-35 goals and a 70 point player. However people do love his leadership qualities, enough people would have been happy if he was given the C. But at this point, if Kyle is going to be more an intangible guy with a leadership role tonight we be a good night for him to put in 2 of the 13-18 he might put up this season. Make your goals count and help lead this team to a win tonight kyle! This isn't me ripping Okposo either. If he develops into a real good veteran thrid line player who scores 18G 45pts, good two way game and penalty killer I'll take it, but part of the intangiable/leadership role is making your points count.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote