HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dodgers For Sale

Old
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

vCash: 500
Dodgers For Sale

About time McBroke sells the team. I'm hoping Cuban will buy them. He said anything over a billion and he's not interested but anything under and he's interested.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Quattro

Good Riddance to the worst owner in LA history. A list that includes Donald Sterling, by the way!

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Finally.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
About time McBroke sells the team. I'm hoping Cuban will buy them. He said anything over a billion and he's not interested but anything under and he's interested.
That would be great, but he also said he doesn't want to get into a bidding war. I doubt he ends up the new owner.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Keep the team locally owned if at all possible. Please find a native to this city that wants the team and has the money. I don't even want Mark Cuban.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Wonder if Anschutz is interested in placing a bid.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

This is what I've been thinking. I didn't trust AEG owning the Kings pre-2010. But now I do. They're also doing a great job with the Galaxy. I think they're always win-hungry. I would want them to be the new Dodgers' owner.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:43 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I'll say this.. if they do, the team is theirs. Hell, Tim Leiweke is basically Mr. Los Angeles as it is.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It makes too much sense considering how much AEG has invested in LA with the Kings, the Galaxy, Staples Center, Home Depot Center, LA Live and the soon to be home of LA's new football team.

The sale includes Dodger Stadium and its giant parking structure, and it also eliminates competition if AEG purchases the Dodgers and all of the assets included with it. Phil Anschutz has the funds to make it happen.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

AEG won't spend Boston/NY type money. You need a fan owner to win in the NBA or MLB these days.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

You have to be incredibly liberal with the pocketbook to win in baseball these days. And there are some huge contracts that need to be given out soon.

I think they would spend the money and would be a good choice, not my preference but a good choice.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

What's with AEG owning Hoyston Dynamo, though? I didn't know you could own two clubs in one league. Are they looking for buyers?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
You have to be incredibly liberal with the pocketbook to win in baseball these days. And there are some huge contracts that need to be given out soon.
Either that or very lucky.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Either that or very lucky.
Even the cardinals and giants had payrolls in excess of $100M.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:27 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
It makes too much sense considering how much AEG has invested in LA with the Kings, the Galaxy, Staples Center, Home Depot Center, LA Live and the soon to be home of LA's new football team.

The sale includes Dodger Stadium and its giant parking structure, and it also eliminates competition if AEG purchases the Dodgers and all of the assets included with it. Phil Anschutz has the funds to make it happen.
I'm not sure it makes that much sense. No need for AEG to own all or part of every major team in town (except for the Clippers which they can't have an interest in due to their part ownership of the Lakers). I would think that TL's plate is already pretty full with the NFL stadium proposal.

Also, the MLB has no cost containment mechanism in place and the Dodgers would have to have a huge payroll. You know that TL would hate dealing with that.

Plus there would be huge costs associated with upgrading the stadium. I would at least be curious to see what they would do to improve the stadium if they had the chance. They have a good track record with that. Maybe TL's move would be to try to work with the new owner on that.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Even the cardinals and giants had payrolls in excess of $100M.
True, over 100 million is a requirement anymore. But it's kind of a crapshoot after that. Boston, Philly, and Yankees won zero playoff rounds this year. Money will win in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

LA needs to sign Kemp and Kershaw longterm and work off of that.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Quattro

I doubt AEG gets involved unless there is real estate involved to be developed. Not sure how much development they could do in Chavez Ravine...

Old
11-02-2011, 08:31 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
True, over 100 million is a requirement anymore. But it's kind of a crapshoot after that. Boston, Philly, and Yankees won zero playoff rounds this year. Money will win in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

LA needs to sign Kemp and Kershaw longterm and work off of that.
That I can agree with.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I doubt AEG gets involved unless there is real estate involved to be developed. Not sure how much development they could do in Chavez Ravine...
There is a ton of real estate involved. The stadium is also part of transaction. And we all know AEG loves it's stadiums.

There a ******** of land.
There was fear early on that McCourt would sell part of the stadium land to developers. Housing tract developers, not strip mall developers.
McCourt also once talked about building an NFL stadium there. There are 352 acres.

AEG could go big here. Even by their standards.

And The Dodgers print money. They are consistently top five in attendance. A huge TV deal is coming up and considering how many other sports teams AEG owns or owns part of , you could see a MEGA deal with FOX or AEG could launch it's own regional sports channel or shop the rights to Time Warner like the Lakers just did.

you are thinking too small Quattro Cinco Seis Seite Ocho Nueve Diez DeSanta Ana.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 11-02-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
There is a ton of real estate involved. The stadium is also part of transaction. And we all know AEG loves it's stadiums.

There a ******** of land.
There was fear early on that McCourt would sell part of the stadium land to developers. Housing tract developers, not strip mall developers.

AEG could go big here. Even by their standards.

And The Dodgers print money. They are consistently top five in attendance. A huge TV deal is coming up and considering how many other sports teams AEG owns or owns part of , you could see a MEGA deal with FOX or AEG could launch it's own regional sports channel or shop the rights to Time Warner like the Lakers just did.

you are thinking too small Quattro Cinco Seis Seite Ocho Nueve Diez DeSanta Ana.
This is what I've been thinking.Once the rumored and most likely AEG owned tv network gets going, you can bet he'll make a killing on the rights alone. Although,I'd still like to see it in the hands of a local group like the Garvey/Hershiser group that has Dodger ties.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
This is what I've been thinking.Once the rumored and most likely AEG owned tv network gets going, you can bet he'll make a killing on the rights alone. Although,I'd still like to see it in the hands of a local group like the Garvey/Hershiser group that has Dodger ties.
Yep

We also know that the old boys' network isn't going to let Cuban own an MLB team.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Maybe so but I don't see hotel/restaurants next to Dodger stadium. The only draw there is the Dodgers, unlike downtown/LA Live.

LOL @ Garvey suggestions. He may be the only one less qualified/funded than McCourt. The guys been a mess since he retired.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Maybe so but I don't see hotel/restaurants next to Dodger stadium. The only draw there is the Dodgers, unlike downtown/LA Live.

LOL @ Garvey suggestions. He may be the only one less qualified/funded than McCourt. The guys been a mess since he retired.
It's not Garvey's money. He is merely one of the public faces of a group.

Hotels? Maybe maybe not. But entertainment? Other buildings? P.s. There is enough land for a football stadium.

If Garvey can pull in investors like he can pull if woman, he can pay of thw National debt in a matter of hours.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

How about a new Dodgers stadium where the Coliseum currently resides? That way you'd have the Dodgers right down the street from the Lakers, Clippers, Kings and the new football stadium.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Coliseum is still needed for USC football. They are close to finalizing a huge lease that's very beneficial to SC.