HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's Your Motivation?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
  #1
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
What's Your Motivation?

To the guy who plays a level down,

Why do you play in our league? You know you're better than everyone else. I know you know this because you like to flaunt your skill. You toe drag the defender that can't do backwards crossovers. You rip slappers a few feet in front of the red line. You're ALWAYS on the PK squad, and you always put yourself in for a 3 1/2 minute shift at the end of the game when it's close. You intercept passes from your weaker teammates because you know they aren't clutch like you. You get mad when we take shots at you, but you know the refs let it go because you don't belong and they can empathize with our frustrations. You justify your position by saying you are a mentor, or you are just there to setup passes, or keep things even. For the most part, you stick to this. However, when the game is on the line, or a weaker opponent shows you up, the competitive player inside of you simply cannot allow it. This is when you turn on the afterburners and take control of the game. You tease us by letting us think we have a chance, then you deny us victory. When you do this part of me wants to give up, and the other part of me wants to try my hardest so I can show you up. See the internal conflict? I can yell at you, I can chirp you, I can take cheap shots, but in the end all I want is for you to play in the league you belong. Please. Competition is what makes the game fun. Don't take this away from me and my linemates.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to improve until I can play in the highest league and not have this problem.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:52 PM
  #2
Gibson19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
My rule when I sub for a lower league is to never score a game winner. I'll do my best to tie up a game and then set up plays so that the other guys/gals can win it. Plus there is a 3 goal limit in our league so if you are an all star playing down (which I am not) then you won't be running up the score sheet too much. The team I sub for also doesn't put me out there during "crucial" situations, we just rotate through the lines.

One thing I've noticed is that I do notice that I skate at almost 100 percent when playing down a level, which I sometimes feel bad about. I really like playing down and getting a goal or two and some assists cause in the league I play in I'm only mediocre and rarely get an opportunity to put the puck on net as a defensemen.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
  #3
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
I have and most likely will never have the opportunity to play in a "lesser" league

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:41 PM
  #4
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson19 View Post
My rule when I sub for a lower league is to never score a game winner. I'll do my best to tie up a game and then set up plays so that the other guys/gals can win it. Plus there is a 3 goal limit in our league so if you are an all star playing down (which I am not) then you won't be running up the score sheet too much. The team I sub for also doesn't put me out there during "crucial" situations, we just rotate through the lines.

One thing I've noticed is that I do notice that I skate at almost 100 percent when playing down a level, which I sometimes feel bad about. I really like playing down and getting a goal or two and some assists cause in the league I play in I'm only mediocre and rarely get an opportunity to put the puck on net as a defensemen.
Yeah Gibs, this wasn't meant for guys like you because:
  1. You're a sub, not rostered in the lower level
  2. You actually feel bad when you go all out
  3. You don't try to personally influence the outcome of the game

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing down if you have friends/family on the team and you are just filling in.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
  #5
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,275
vCash: 500
I can't stand those players either. There's a guy like that in one of my leagues that clearly doesn't belong. It was run by another hockey company until a couple years ago and he was clearly the best player in the league at the time. Now the league is a bit more balanced out and run by a different guy so he's not the clearcut best but he's still one of the best players in the league. He also does everything by himself and my only job when we play that team is to be all over him and don't give him an inch of open space. He hates me.

I did have the opportunity to play in a lesser league once, I have only been playing ice hockey for like 6 years so there aren't many lesser leagues available for me anyway. It was just a pick up game with a friend of mine who was only playing hockey for like 2-3 months just for fun. I took one shot, which I didn't even want to take. I only took it because it was such a nice pass by a player who clearly just started playing and I wanted him to feel good with an assist. We were on the ice for an hour and a half and that was my only shot the whole game. The whole time I was just trying to pass to people.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
  #6
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 50
Wost I saw when starting out a couple years ago in my beginners league was when we were playing a team in the summer that started off winless in their first 6 games. Expecting a victory we ended up loosing like 9-3, and looking at the scoresheet they had only 2 players register points. One guy with like 6 goals and 3 assist the other guy with 3 goals and 3 assist, or something like that. I can understand wanting to get your first win, but the worst part was they had like 15 skaters on the bench and these two guys were always on the ice.

Other than that most people weren't too bad. Being a true beginners league it can be hard filling out a team with all beginners so when you lose players and have to find new ones you're bound to get a few ringers. For the 3/4's of a year I played in that league and through 10-12 teams that was the only really bad case I saw.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:57 PM
  #7
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
For the most part ringers at a lower level are just out there to play hockey with some friends, and they generally don't try so hard. My league is mostly made of roughly HS/select/single A (like midget A) type players, but there are a decent number of ringers too, guys who played junior A/B or even university/college hockey. They're clearly better than most players, but they tend to tone it down a bit and don't just dominate games. Personally I don't mind the ringers at all, but I guess if it was a bigger talent gap it would suck.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:35 PM
  #8
dabeechman
Registered User
 
dabeechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
I should be a league higher than I am, but I play where I do because the guys on my team are close friends of mine.

Every team has a ringer in our league. Is it right? No. But until the director steps up and does her job...I don't feel bad. Because like I said...every team has at least one guy that is on my level (or close to).

I am not the type to rub it in your face though unless you are "chirping" me.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:27 PM
  #9
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
For the most part ringers at a lower level are just out there to play hockey with some friends, and they generally don't try so hard. My league is mostly made of roughly HS/select/single A (like midget A) type players, but there are a decent number of ringers too, guys who played junior A/B or even university/college hockey. They're clearly better than most players, but they tend to tone it down a bit and don't just dominate games. Personally I don't mind the ringers at all, but I guess if it was a bigger talent gap it would suck.
To me a "ringer" is someone who plays down for the purpose of dominating others and securing a victory. A person who values winning more than improving.

Not someone who is there because he wants to play on the same team as his less-talented buddies and wants to have a good time. It sounds like the guys you play with are cool, and if they played in my league I probably wouldn't classify them as ringers.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:45 PM
  #10
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
To me a "ringer" is someone who plays down for the purpose of dominating others and securing a victory. A person who values winning more than improving.

Not someone who is there because he wants to play on the same team as his less-talented buddies and wants to have a good time. It sounds like the guys you play with are cool, and if they played in my league I probably wouldn't classify them as ringers.
But the effect is the same. Regardless of the motivation you end up with a few players dominating league scoring. Does it matter if he's playing with his buddies and has good intentions if he's ruining a lower level league for the players it is intended for?

For the record I play in two leagues. In the lower league I'm somewhere between .8 and 1.2 ppg each year, and in the upper league I'm between .5 and .9 ppg each year. I think I'm probably right where I should be.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
  #11
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
To the guy who plays a level down,

Why do you play in our league? You know you're better than everyone else. I know you know this because you like to flaunt your skill. You toe drag the defender that can't do backwards crossovers. You rip slappers a few feet in front of the red line. You're ALWAYS on the PK squad, and you always put yourself in for a 3 1/2 minute shift at the end of the game when it's close. You intercept passes from your weaker teammates because you know they aren't clutch like you. You get mad when we take shots at you, but you know the refs let it go because you don't belong and they can empathize with our frustrations. You justify your position by saying you are a mentor, or you are just there to setup passes, or keep things even. For the most part, you stick to this. However, when the game is on the line, or a weaker opponent shows you up, the competitive player inside of you simply cannot allow it. This is when you turn on the afterburners and take control of the game. You tease us by letting us think we have a chance, then you deny us victory. When you do this part of me wants to give up, and the other part of me wants to try my hardest so I can show you up. See the internal conflict? I can yell at you, I can chirp you, I can take cheap shots, but in the end all I want is for you to play in the league you belong. Please. Competition is what makes the game fun. Don't take this away from me and my linemates.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to improve until I can play in the highest league and not have this problem.
I see where you're going with this, and I agree....somewhat. I like seeing the ringers out there, both on my team and against me, only because I can watch them up close and see what they are doing/not doing, how it compares to me, and how I can improve. Does it suck when you're trying to go end to end and the ringer sneaks you as you're clearing their blue line? Of course it does, but nobody ever got better being an average player in an average league playing against people of similar skill.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
  #12
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
I like seeing the ringers out there, both on my team and against me, only because I can watch them up close and see what they are doing/not doing, how it compares to me, and how I can improve. Does it suck when you're trying to go end to end and the ringer sneaks you as you're clearing their blue line? Of course it does, but nobody ever got better being an average player in an average league playing against people of similar skill.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer to play with people who are better than me. That's how I improve. This isn't directed at the standout players who are a big asset to their team. This is for the sandbaggers who have the ability to control the outcome of the game, and feel the need to show everyone they can.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
  #13
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,379
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
After playing hockey for 18 years I've seen many of these guys come and go. I've come to 3 conclusions:1. They lack heart. They're playing below their skill level because they only play to score goals. They could care less about winning, their teammates and their worth in the sport is solely tied to scoring goals. After the game is over, if their team lost, they will look to the score sheet, see 2 or 3 goals and be happy as a clam. 2. These guys are usually horrible passers. Cover them before they get the puck and they'll be lost. When they do get the puck always look shot first, usually high and wide cause it's not cool to go 5 hole but picking a water bottle once every 5 games gets them pumped. 3. Shadow them and they'll leave the league. These guys have only 1 value to their team:scoring goals. If you remove that from their stat line they are worthless hockey players. They're fundamentally flawed in areas that are important, thus the reason why they failed at higher levels and "wanted to play with their friends". If you remind them that they weren't good enough in the higher levels they crumple mentally.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:54 PM
  #14
Noir
Registered User
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, CAN
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
It's almost always friends... and "said" ringer being too polite to decline helping a friend (or group of friends) out.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:46 PM
  #15
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,379
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
It's almost always friends... and "said" ringer being too polite to decline helping a friend (or group of friends) out.
It's funny how they failed to make new friends at higher levels, isn't it? It's always the same excuse, I wanted to play with my friends. It doesn't matter where we live, how old we are, roller or ice the excuse remains the same.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:52 PM
  #16
chickennecker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Funny you bring this up, as captain of my team, I just emailed the league about this. Here's the situation, my team is a lower c team, with only 1 person with more than 1 1/2yrs exp, and he only has 3yrs exp. Suprisingly out of 10 teams in thethe league, we play close with all but 3, maybe not wining but def cthem all, but competitive. Now of those 3items teams, one has won the championship the past three years and then there is a new one that is more frustrating and made me write the email. They have a roster of 12 ppl, minus the goalie its 11 skaters, 3 of which play A and 4 play B at the same rink, the remaining 4 are also C+players. They beat us the first time only 6-0, 2nd time 10-0 but the thing is shots on goal was probably easliy 70 to our 7, not kidding. They also have beaten the other teams in the league by similar scores. While I love the competition and think it has made us better when we play teams our own level, its still very frustrating. Haven't heard back from the league but my stance is there is no reason someone from an A league should play, 1 level up or down is what I think is appropriate. If you're a b player,you have a chioce of either C or A but not both. I also suggested maybe a C- team C+ divisons split for the playoffs.

My team is at a loss of what else to do, our group actually has another team, which is a B level team and I was thinking about having them show up, just to prove a point but don't think I could actually do that. Based on league rules could probably get away with it, with jsut a forfeit but would be worth the laugh.

chickennecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.