Nice comeback falls short: Jets lose 3-2 to Devils in OT

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I don't understand any of the negative tone in here.

This team is 3-1-1 on the road trip thus far. They just grabbed a point in a game they trailed by 2 goals heading into the third period. To those of you at all upset by sloppy play, practically the entire D is injured, give your heads a shake. That they got out of this game with a point is excellent.

They've played 9 of 13 on the road yet their overall record is not that bad, especially given the slow start. They'll soon have some guys back from injuries. Things are actually looking up.

They just got a point in a game they trailed by 2 goals heading into the third period with a good chunk of the team out with injury.
Right on!

All I see right now is another treadmill team. I don't know how anyone could look at this roster and honestly project the makings of a perennial playoff contender down the road. The high-end talent just isn't there. The 4th line has outscored our top line (heading into the season) 7-3. Byfuglien is well on his way to becoming one of the worst contracts in the league. Finishing with the 6-10th worst record in the league gets us nowhere. The elite talent will be gone and any player we draft will most likely be a couple years away from contributing.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

vCash: 500
Hey, at least we didn't get blasted 7-0 by the Bruins at home

Old
11-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

I was really impressed with Oduya, Festerling and Bogosian. That game probably had the least amount of panic-mode defence of any game so far. The Devils were very physical and came right at the Jets every time they got the puck, until finally the Devils sat back a bit in the third and the Jets were able to do a few things.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I'm happy with the point!

This was a very entertaining game and the Jets never gave up!

Old
11-05-2011, 09:21 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I was really impressed with Oduya, Festerling and Bogosian. That game probably had the least amount of panic-mode defence of any game so far. The Devils were very physical and came right at the Jets every time they got the puck, until finally the Devils sat back a bit in the third and the Jets were able to do a few things.
Bogosian and Festerling had some awesome plays where the Devils players were trying to deke them out and they were just calm, used their sticks, and sent the play the other way. Oduya had a good play too standing up at the blue-line and breaking up an odd-man rush.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Hey, at least we didn't get blasted 7-0 by the Bruins at home
This makes seven games in which Jets' worst result has been a one-goal loss. They are competitive with every team they're playing, which has included some good teams. I think it bodes pretty well, particularly given that only 4 of the first 15 games are at home.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
All I see right now is another treadmill team. I don't know how anyone could look at this roster and honestly project the makings of a perennial playoff contender down the road. The high-end talent just isn't there. The 4th line has outscored our top line (heading into the season) 7-3. Byfuglien is well on his way to becoming one of the worst contracts in the league. Finishing with the 6-10th worst record in the league gets us nowhere. The elite talent will be gone and any player we draft will most likely be a couple years away from contributing.
What I see conversely is a team with a chance to make the playoffs, with a record that really isn't bad given that they've played most of their games on the road, a team with with an upcoming schedule that includes nearly the entire month of December featuring home games. A team with goaltending. Never count out a team with goaltending.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Good point on the goal tending Gump, think I would get the back up in in either of the next two games to give Pavs a break.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
This makes seven games in which Jets' worst result has been a one-goal loss. They are competitive with every team they're playing, which has included some good teams. I think it bodes pretty well, particularly given that only 4 of the first 15 games are at home.
With a top line that could actually score more than a goal every 4 games we may have won another 3-4 games.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Quote:
What I see conversely is a team with a chance to make the playoffs, with a record that really isn't bad given that they've played most of their games on the road, a team with with an upcoming schedule that includes nearly the entire month of December featuring home games. A team with goaltending. Never count out a team with goaltending.
Totally agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread. We are 5-3-1 in our last 9 games since beginning the season 0-3. That is impressive. We are currently 3-1-1 after 5 of our 7 game road trip. That is very impressive, especially considering our injuries.

I personally think this is a pretty well coached team. This is also a team who shows up to play in each and every game, for the most part, which can't be said for many teams. This team has great character in my opinion.

As for the future of this team, we've got some real talented young kids in Burmistrov, Kane and Scheifele. All of these kids could be star players in this league. I honestly don't think too many people 'in the know' would laugh or disagree with Burmistrov having Datsyuk-like potential in many areas of the game. Watching this kid at 20 years old and seeing what he displays at both ends of the ice is downright impressive. It's almost scary to picture what Burmistrov could be like in 4-5 years when he is 24-25 years of age. In my opinion we've got a great young Captain in Ladd, two great, solid building blocks on defence in Enstrom and Bogosian, and a goaltender in Pavelec who could be a top 10 (or close so it) goaltender in the NHL sooner rather than later.

I personally like the potential this team has in terms of the future, and I think the building blocks currently in place are pretty damn good.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't understand any of the negative tone in here.

This team is 3-1-1 on the road trip thus far. They just grabbed a point in a game they trailed by 2 goals heading into the third period. To those of you at all upset by sloppy play, practically the entire D is injured, give your heads a shake. That they got out of this game with a point is excellent.

They've played 9 of 13 on the road yet their overall record is not that bad, especially given the slow start. They'll soon have some guys back from injuries. Things are actually looking up.

They just got a point in a game they trailed by 2 goals heading into the third period while a good chunk of the team was out with injury.
Right on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Agree 100% with Gump here. Based on the way the Jets played in the first two periods, they had absolutely no business grabbing a point, let alone two. If you told people here, prior to this road trip, that we'd lose Enstrom and be forced to dress 3 AHL defensemen, and still come away with 7 points, you'd probably be dismissed as a delusional homer.

Yes, the same problems are still there. Ladd, Little and Wheeler haven't done anything (Wheeler was absolutely awful today), and Buff has played like garbage. But there are alot of positive signs to gain from that game. In particular, that this Jets team isn't prepared to accept a loss. This team now vs. when they were 1-4-1, it's a massive, massive improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Enough negatives because we all know who they are.

Slater good goal, strong play.

AHL call-ups good for the most part, especially last years best Moose defense man Flood

Oduya very good tonight

Kane led all forwards in minutes

Thorburn strong game

Bogo our best defense man, guys turning into a keeper, Huddy has turned his game around!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Totally agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread. We are 5-3-1 in our last 9 games since beginning the season 0-3. That is impressive. We are currently 3-1-1 after 5 of our 7 game road trip. That is very impressive, especially considering our injuries.

I personally think this is a pretty well coached team. This is also a team who shows up to play in each and every game, for the most part, which can't be said for many teams. This team has great character in my opinion.

As for the future of this team, we've got some real talented young kids in Burmistrov, Kane and Scheifele. All of these kids could be star players in this league. I honestly don't think too many people 'in the know' would laugh or disagree with Burmistrov having Datsyuk-like potential in many areas of the game. Watching this kid at 20 years old and seeing what he displays at both ends of the ice is downright impressive. It's almost scary to picture what Burmistrov could be like in 4-5 years when he is 24-25 years of age. In my opinion we've got a great young Captain in Ladd, two great, solid building blocks on defence in Enstrom and Bogosian, and a goaltender in Pavelec who could be a top 10 (or close so it) goaltender in the NHL sooner rather than later.

I personally like the potential this team has in terms of the future, and I think the building blocks currently in place are pretty damn good.
Ok here we go......I was at my mother in laws for my wife's birthday and caught bits and pieces of the first two periods and thought to myself "oh well we had to have at least one flat game on this road trip" then I got home and saw we lost in OT and I was thrilled we came back!!! I was thinking man this team is totally the black knight in Monty Python's Holly grail!!! Then when I started reading the post game comments on here I was wondering why I was the only guy who was pumped?

Some nice comeback posts here boys......I will sit down to watch now on PVR and I am sure I will be pi55ed at Buff too but I am a pretty happy guy right now with this team!!

I agree with some of the negative comments and some guys have to get going soon but the team results on this road trip under the adversity we have faced has been something special!!

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 11-06-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: removed code tags
Old
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

Agreed.
Also all things considered I'm happy with the point tonight. I think we showed some heart battling back and earning the point.

Old
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cena View Post
At least Buff gets points. It's been 13 games and Little can't even score a single goal. Little is the biggest disappointment and needs to be on the 4th line tomorrow. Actually no, that would be too generous. Put him on a line with Staplescrub and let him suffer until he realizes it's November 5th. I'm sick of him falling and flopping all over the ice
with weak effort.
I will take Little over Byfuglien any day. little looks like he's working out there. Buff looks like he's coasting every time he pretends to back check. I've had about enough of Buff. He could have been a rockstar here, but clearly his head is somewhere else.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:04 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Noel looks like he's gotten the team to turn the corner, which is even more impressive considering considering the top line is ice cold and half the blueline is injured.

When everyone is healthy again and clicking, we should be a really good team. I'm not counting out making the playoffs.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Had the defensemen not been caught up ice for countless breakaways or two-on-ones, the Jets probably could have won the game in regulation. I'm still impressed they managed to come back and pick up a single point though.

Oduya was probably our best defenseman. Never thought I'd say that.

After the tying goal, I remarked that Wheeler's blatant hook to cause the turnover was the best play he's made all year.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quite frankly I don't know what to make of Little, Ladd and Wheeler. If they were producing ~2 points a night as a whole then the Jets would probably be looking at playoff contention at this point, considering how well Kane and Burmistrov are maturing and how well Antropov and Wellwood are performing.

The continual zeroes next to their names on the stat sheets just mystifies me at this point. It isn't like they aren't trying out there, they just can't finish plays and produce offence.

EDIT: By the way, big night for Mark Flood who scored his first NHL goal in a two-point night.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:09 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Love.
all three members of the GST line.
Burmistrov.
Wellwood.
Enstrom & Hainsey (when healthy)
Pavalec. (lately)

Like.
Bogosian.

Liking more and more
Kane

Dont Like. (so far)
Buff.

really don't like
Mcardle

Don't get
Ladd
Little (although he was better tonight)
Wheeler

i think this team will be in the thick of a playoff hunt....7th/8th place is very achievable...as long as pavalec plays very well.

happy with a point tonight....hope they can win one of the last 2 on the road to make for a very successful trip.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 11-05-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the Jets as a whole... and I expected to get 7 pts on this road trip and they have it so I'm happy.

give pavs the night off tomorrow every goalie needs a break and I'd rather have him play against the Sabres Tuesday.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Waldo

I'm really thrilled with the comeback point on the road. Anything that is not a loss is golden. We pulled out a point when we were down by 2 goals in the third. Awesome!!! We played a very consevative road game. How can we not be happy considering the depleted lineup? I thought the D played really well (with the exception of Buff who was responsible for 2 goals against). If we can win 1 of 2 it'll be a very good roadtrip. If we can win 2 it'll be a superb roadtrip. You have to think that Huddy has been a major positive influence and I'm also warming up to Noel.

If only Buff, Little and Wheeler could step up .....

Old
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
Dude - we inherited the Atlanta Thrashers. They were never a "perennial playoff contender" in all of their history. What we need is to develop a team that battles every night, that hopefully makes it into the playoffs, and that starts to establish a winning tradition so that in a few years they are "perennial playoff contenders".

I was very happy with the game given that they battled back from a two goal deficit in the third. In the first few games of the season I don't think you would have seen that kind of spunk.

And yes - by all means get frustrated with Byfuglien's defensive performance, but you have to give him credit for assists on both of our goals tonight too.

Old
11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Sabonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Three frickin AHL defense-man now playing for the Jets and Buffoon is still our worst D-man!!
Glad to see my nickname for him is catching on, he certainly deserves the moniker!

Old
11-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the Jets as a whole... and I expected to get 7 pts on this road trip and they have it so I'm happy.

give pavs the night off tomorrow every goalie needs a break and I'd rather have him play against the Sabres Tuesday.
Pavelec has said that he wants to play every game this season if possible; if his body can rebound fast enough overnight, then I hope Noel starts Pavelec again tomorrow. You play the guy on a roll. You also should always go with your best goalie in what appears the most winnable game. The Rangers game seems the somewhat easier opposition of our next two, IMO. Plus, the Jets owe the Rangers for stealing one in Winnipeg earlier in the season.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The Rangers game is win-able (based on how we dominated NYR last time), so I'd start Pavelec.

By comparison, I doubt there's any chance in hell we beat the offensive Sabres with this defense group, so you might as well throw Mannino to the wolves.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM
blueandgoldguy

Haven't had a chance to watch the game yet. Hope to watch the replay currently on HNIC. I have to say though, I love the resiliency of this team. Coming back from one and two goal deficits late in 3 games to get 5 out of a possible 6 points. Keep it up JEts!

Never would have thought Oduya would turn it around so quickly! Good Job!!

Old
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
OK here we go......I was at my mother in laws for my wife's birthday and caught bits and pieces of the first two periods and thought to myself "oh well we had to have at least one flat game on this road trip" then I got home and saw we lost in OT and I was thrilled we came back!!! I was thinking man this team is totally the black knight in Monty Python's Holly grail!!! Then when I started reading the post game comments on here I was wondering why I was the only guy who was pumped?

Some nice comeback posts here boys......I will sit down to watch now on PVR and I am sure I will be pi55ed at Buff too but I am a pretty happy guy right now with this team!!

I agree with some of the negative comments and some guys have to get going soon but the team results on this road trip under the adversity we have faced has been something special!!
I was at a wedding and missed the game, but was all over my Score mobile ap. When i saw it was 2-0 devils i accepted the loss, all things considered, but when i saw them tie it and go to OT I was super pumped! ****in Take it and run tonight i say. Sorry I missed the game now, but wedding was good, and now i go to sleep shmamered.

Closed Thread