HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Kings (11.5.11)

Old
11-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
As for the Kings: I love Kopitar. That guy is smooth as hell on the ice. I actually like the chippy play, too. They've been a softer team in recent years. I think they can add that grit and make a name for themselves in the postseason.
This might be me being affected by such a strong game tonight by Kopitar coupled by a lazy effort by Geno, but Kopitar reminds me of a slightly less skilled, but more consistent Geno out there.

He might not be able to completely dominate quite like Geno can when he's on, but it seems like he's more reliable in terms of consistency from game to game than Geno is.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
+ Unless I am mistaken, that was our last game in Pacific time this regular season?
Got a working stream for the third period only, so no qualified views on the game.

Conspiracy time! Magically Crosby returns right after the long flights are done and done! Uncle Bettman delivers!

+ two points in a tough rink.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:45 AM
vodeni

+++++MAF without him we would be crucifying this team...
+Kunitz for lifting the darn puck
+Martin/Letang/Engo
+Staal that was great effort in the third
+JV for great board work
+Sully good game
+Neal for the effort
--Face offs 44 to 21 enough said
----Malkin...I love the guyI watch the game because of him, but seriously?????This was the most patetic effort on any level I have seen of an elite player in any sport. Sit him down if he is hurt, or get in his face, or f..... trade him for two rwally good players
-44 no elaboration here, he just plain stinks since he is back
-/+Asham/Duper/Adams/Park a lots of energy but they are who they are

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I don't agree with that at all. He made smart decisions with the puck, kept tight gaps, mixed it up a little, and generally looked confident out there.
He just didn't look like an NHL player to me. Fumbled the puck, Kings were skating circles around him in the defensive zone at times while he kinda stood around looking confused. I'll cut him some slack since he was probably incredibly nervous and he's only two games removed from an injury from what I understand.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
He's been good, but Orpik's skating is what sets him apart from most physical defensive d-men. Engelland does not have the skating to bring him up to Orpik's level.
I disagree. I think Engelland's a good skater, as far as physical defensive defensemen go. Not quite at Orpik's level, but certainly good enough to accomplish anything his role demands.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
FDBluth

I feel like I'm watching some bizarro evil Malkin when I watch Kopitar play the Pens.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
He just didn't look like an NHL player to me. Fumbled the puck, Kings were skating circles around him in the defensive zone at times while he kinda stood around looking confused. I'll cut him some slack since he was probably incredibly nervous and he's only two games removed from an injury from what I understand.
Can't say I saw the same things.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Lomes
One...and out

Richards seems like the personification of the Kings as a team: decently talented, not quite elite, and dirty (in blindside hit, stick your knee out, slash away from the play-type dirty). Glad he found a home.

Lomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
MtlPenFan

Right now Engelland is badly outplaying Orpik, and whatever problems Brooks is having is the same one he's always had. I don't like the pairing either, but for ****s sakes, Brooks shouldn't be the one being insulated by anyone, much less Engo.

Every one of our d-men, even the guys you think would be less inclined in doing so, aren't afraid to make pass up the middle to a supporting forward. I don't know what Brooks' obsession is with using the boards to get the puck out. The minute that puck got held in, I knew it was going in the net.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Can't say I saw the same things.
I'm with you on this, CW. I thought he played very well for the unexpected call up.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
I just looked at the boxscore on Yahoo! Sports. Staal is listed as 6 and 20 in the face off dot?! The guy is showing an improvement this season, but holy hell, that's brutal to lose *20* draws in one night, especially for a defensive ace.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Room*

Big minus to Orpik & Asham on that 2nd goal. What pathetic effort. Luckily for them The Koon bailed em out.

The Room* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
The Canucks (Luongo sucks) and the Sharks (we can outplay them if healthy, we did for one period and we defended very well against them, they just were better because we didn't have Sid, Staal, Michalek and Kennedy) do not impress me. They are good, but we can take it. The Hawks scare me, but I think we can beat them, if we're healthy.
With Crosby back and the rest of the team completely healthy i think Washington and Chicago are the only teams that can beat Pittsburgh in a series, and even then i would like the pens chances against either. Pens vs. health is the main issue again.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:53 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I just looked at the boxscore on Yahoo! Sports. Staal is listed as 6 and 20 in the face off dot?! The guy is showing an improvement this season, but holy hell, that's brutal to lose *20* draws in one night, especially for a defensive ace.
They mentioned it during the game that Stoll was like 83% against Staal. That is....

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
vodeni

I though Gino purposly rush the face off so the ref would kick him out and he wouldn't have to take them

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:56 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Room View Post
Big minus to Orpik & Asham on that 2nd goal. What pathetic effort. Luckily for them The Koon bailed em out.
I wouldn't really give Asham a minus here, it was a clear mismatch

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:56 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
With Crosby back and the rest of the team completely healthy i think Washington and Chicago are the only teams that can beat Pittsburgh in a series, and even then i would like the pens chances against either. Pens vs. health is the main issue again.
Washington? I don't fear them at all, Ovechkin will still try to do too much, Semin and Green will disappear and Bylsma will outcoach Boudreau. The Caps are madly talented, but they have their issues. As for Chicago, well, they scare the **** out of me. We can beat them, but it would be VERY difficult.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
AgentM

Is Bylsma growing a stache for Movember or did he lose the shootout in practice?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm with you on this, CW. I thought he played very well for the unexpected call up.
Yeah. I mean, I was pretty comfortable with him out there.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:03 AM
sawtooth420

-big minus to Park on the 1st goal. Bad turnover, didn't get back In the play, kings goal

sawtooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Luigi Lemieux

I know they probably outplayed us tonight, but i'm unimpressed with LA. To me they seem like a team that's less than the sum of its parts. Looking at the talent in their lineup and who is out of the Pittsburgh lineup, i'd have expected them to destroy us. They should be so much more dominant than they actually are...hard to understand why they're not. With their personnel i think they'd be more effective as an up tempo team a la Chicago, but they seem happy to play conservatively.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
I know they probably outplayed us tonight, but i'm unimpressed with LA. To me they seem like a team that's less than the sum of its parts. Looking at the talent in their lineup and who is out of the Pittsburgh lineup, i'd have expected them to destroy us. They should be so much more dominant than they actually are...hard to understand why they're not. With their personnel i think they'd be more effective as an up tempo team a la Chicago, but they seem happy to play conservatively.
The Kings have no gamebreaking talent. Sure they have Kopitar but that's about it, and he always plays well at the beginning of the season.

Last edited by nTsplnk*: 11-06-2011 at 01:15 AM.
nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Pittsburgh1776

This was not Penguins hockey. Bylsma needs to get tough before habits form. However, I'm not going to call these players lazy. There isn't a single guy on this team who has the kind of character that they mail it in. Fans are too emotional and need to realize that sometimes bad days at work happen. Their focus wasn't good enough, and they weren't working smart but no one mailed it in.

People are expecting way too much from Malkin. Stop reading Rossi fluff pieces and be real: the guy had major knee surgery for one of the most severe injuries you can get in sports. He had great jump the first two games until his knee started feeling the effects of it; skating at this level puts tremendous strain on your knees, and he won't have that jump consistently until a month at least. He's not stopping and starting and that's why it looks like he is floating. He kind of is. That, combined with what I've seen from Malkin on the bench, makes me think his knee is pretty sore. I'm not worried. I don't see the laziness others are, from Geno or the team. Find a less emotional way to analyze hockey games.

Pittsburgh1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:20 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

I don't get to watch a lot of Kings games .. is this sort of play their norm? Or was the hacking, slashing, slew footing, etc. just for the Pens? Curious to see if the Moreau hit on Kunitz and the Stoll hit on Sully gets reviewed.

Speaking of Sully, good to see him find the back of the net.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
It was an even game as far as I'm concerned, and when you consider we had the rawest of rookies and a 9th defenseman in there to boot, we didn't do to badly.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote