HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I hope the NHL is locked out a good long ass time

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
The problem, MJ...

is that there's a NASCAR 'bubble' if I'm reading things correctly. You really can only grow so fast so long until the numbers get big. It's easier to go from 5 to 10 than 100 to 200. And the league is right in the sense that salaries have gotten out of control - which is due to market forces, and the owners have had a lot to say in regards to what they pay individuals.

Old
09-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I think we've reached that bubble in hockey Fletch.

I became a fan because the game is exciting. We may not love the trap, or the hooking and grabbing, but it's still a great game. It doesn't need to be compromised in the name of attracting people who don't think it's a great game, especially if it's going to drive us away.

Bettman, like Bill France Jr., wasn't satisfied with having an avid fan base. No, all he wanted was growth and he didn't care if he had to step all over the real hockey fan to get it.

Old
09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Fletch

I hear ya MJ...

over-expansion (Bettman's means to growth) backfired, I believe. It's like companies that go out and buy other companies to grow...if you're not smart, you could dilute yourself or may find some areas that you thought you knew, but really didn't. Man, I am not looking forward to next Friday at all.

Old
09-08-2004, 03:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
NASCAR's rating have leveled off, so they've begun to resort to straight up gimmicks to continue attracting fans. "The Chase", green-white-checker, the "bottle controversy", etc. Next, they'll be kicking someone out of the series once a week. Bill France Jr. got "Bettman-itis" and now sees only TV ratings and sponsorship dollars as a representation of the health of the sport. Meanwhile, hard-core motorsports fans have lost interest completely. 10-12 years ago I would attend 2-3 NASCAR events per year. Now I haven't even watched one on TV in 2 years because, from a racing standpoint, the product is garbage.

"NASCAR-ization" of hockey? Not interested.
I think what some people is exactly that: NASCARizing the NHL. Full two minute penalties, shootouts. etc.

Old
09-08-2004, 03:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
Trap defenses only slow down play and destroy offense... in other words, in a offensively-minded NHL it would and should be an illegal defense.

That makes perfectly good sense.
Why stop there? Let's proceed with (not just NASCARization) but MARYOization of the league. Let's do what Lemiuex wants. YEAH!!! Let's not allow any touching whatsoever (legal or otherwise) of anyone touching the puck. YEAH!!! Lets have a league where the home team plays 5 on 4 for 2 periods and the road team gets one such period. Oh, the scoring we'll see then. YEAH!!! Let's have major penalites where there are no goalies in net. YEAH!!!
I, for one, cannot wait for the first "nailbiter" of 102-100. THAT will make the league exciting.
And why stop there? Since we are penalizing the Devils, Detroit, and Colarado for playing a defensive system, let's start to add on an extra goal for the REALLY PRETTY ONES. SO this way, Lemiuex can score a goal, but if he has "pretty points" it will count as 2.
And then, we can penalize defensemen for clearing the puck from the crease. After all, there will be LOTS more goals scored if they are under a mandate that a puck cannot be cleared from the crease for at least 1 minute.

Old
09-09-2004, 10:24 AM
kazo

All you need to do is roll back 20 years ago and, viola, you have hockey the way it should be. Unfortunately that want happen. Now, we have a totally bastardize version of the game that has been so convoluted and so unrecognizable as to shadow of itself.

You must understand that for 35 years I lived, ate, and drank hockey. To be honest, baseball and football in 2004 are more appealing to me than the game I used to know. More gimmiks? Please.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
makes perfect sense? You do realize that one of the higher scoring teams in the league also employs the trap. I still believe that there is a misconception about the trap, and it's too much associated with 'clutch and grab', which is the real problem. You can break the trap if the forwards and defensemen implementing it do not hold the offensive players when going in for the puck. All teams play some sort of 'defensive' system. Although some do it better than others, and some get away with more obstruction than others.
IMO the biggest difference in todays game that has the scoring down is the size of the goaltender's equipment. When you see highlights from games in the past , it is amazing how much 'smaller' the goalies appeared. I don't have a problem with defensive systems(trap) but agree that there is too much clutching and grabbing.
Maybe more teams would focus on offensive systems instead of defensive systems if the goaltenders didn't look like the Michelin Man in the net ?

Old
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Fletch

Slew..

among other things, yes. But I can't help thinking it would be a better game if the 'stars' actually had a chance to skate, and were not illegally held back [READ: I am not saying to take out legal checking, etc.].

Old
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
among other things, yes. But I can't help thinking it would be a better game if the 'stars' actually had a chance to skate, and were not illegally held back [READ: I am not saying to take out legal checking, etc.].
I totally agree. I am all for checking when a player has the puck but there is entirely too much contact away from the puck.

Old
09-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Pass-the-Puck

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...36&hubName=nhl

Quote:
"Following our thorough team-by-team analysis during the last series of CBA meetings in Newark, Ottawa and Montreal, it became clear to everyone involved that a handful of teams, with a handful of issues, accounted for over 75% of the league's claimed losses," said Bob Goodenow, NHLPA Executive Director.
Quote:
The Players' Association's team-by-team analysis found that six clubs reported fully 75% of the league's claimed losses. None of these situations can fairly be attributed to the CBA. The reported losses of some of these clubs are due directly to bad building situations. Other clubs are in markets that have failed to support NHL hockey, including recent Stanley Cup Finalists. The other clubs have vast resources that are simply not recognized by the league's current financial reporting system.
6 teams = 75% of the NHL's losses. Because of these teams, the entire NHL gets locked out for a $35 million dollar hard cap that works for the Carolina Hurricanes and Pittsburgh Penquins of the league. Maybe the cap can help the Pens shave $150k off Rico Fata's salary. Wouldnt that be worth a year long lockout?

Closed Thread