HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things considered, the Sabres are doing good.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
All things considered, the Sabres are doing good.

Only 5 teams in the NHL have more points than they do. 1 of them, Toronto, is 1 point ahead and the Sabres have a game in hand. For some readon, it doesn't feel to me that they should be that high up but, they obviously are.

Take into consideration that our top goalie is having issues, the defense looks confused and secondary scoring has been minimal, and it's hard not to feel good where they currently are in the standings.

Once those things straighten themselves out ( I am assuming they will ) the Sabres look to have a good season in front of them.

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Thank you, I just can't figure out why people are so worried. Sure, they've had some off games and some guys are not playing up to their potential but they are on pace for 106 points which should quite easily secure them a top 3 spot in the conference. Even if they had lost tonight they still would've been on pace for the same amount of points as last season. Is there where we'd hoped they'd be? Nope. Is it reason for panic after 14 games? Certainly not.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Yeah, I absolutely agree. It's mostly frustration, I know I'm getting frustrated watching this defense...

start winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
They are doing ok, but lets not forget the ultimate goal.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

This certainly isn't the game to suggest that we are doing good. I thought that our system looked to be at it's worst. Though leino and boyes seem to be arriving.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-08-2011 at 10:59 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
3-9-2 after 14 last year.

9-5-0 after 14 this year.

You'd never know it by reading these boards, though.

I expect they'll continue to improve as the season progresses, and guys like Leino and Ehrhoff continue to acclimate, while players like Ennis and Myers get their games back to their usual level. That said, I'd still like to see more Weber, Hecht return, and the addition of at least one more top-9 defensive forward.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

I expect they'll continue to improve as the season progresses, and guys like Leino and Ehrhoff continue to acclimate, while players like Ennis and Myers get their games back to their usual level. That said, I'd still like to see more Weber, Hecht return, and the addition of at least one more top-9 defensive forward.
Blame Pegula...

Seriously, the Sabres are loaded with talent and depth, any loss is hard to take with the known attributes, but in the end we all know what we want.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Defensive forward? When Hecht is back, I'll likely be clamoring for more scoring down the middle

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Really, I don't think people around here think we are horrendous and aren't "doing good, all things considered." Most logical posters know the deal. We have a few issues right now, all of which are discussed and debated ad nauseum. But that's what the boards are for. I think some see debates raging about the quality of our goaltender and automatically assume that the fanbase thinks the entire team isn't doing well?

I think many of us can see that despite our issues that we speak of daily, we are still 9-5-0 and in fine position.

To surmise: agreed wholeheartedly with the thread title

Old
11-08-2011, 11:53 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

We're doing quite well. I hope the team, particularly the defense, gels a bit more, and we play better at home, but I'll take 9-5 after opening the season in Europe all day long and twice on Sundays.

Quote:
Hecht return
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
When Hecht is back, I'll likely be clamoring for more scoring down the middle
I'm sort of worried Hecht might not be back for quite a while, after watching the Crosby saga.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I'm sort of worried Hecht might not be back for quite a while, after watching the Crosby saga.
They'll take their time with him, as has already been clearly evidenced. But I confidently see him returning before the calendar year ends.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

We're doing fine, right on par with expectations. The only thing I'll put out there, though, is that we've had a somewhat easy schedule so far. A few extra games against lemmings.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:58 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
They'll take their time with him, as has already been clearly evidenced. But I confidently see him returning before the calendar year ends.
I very much hope so. Hecht is the kind of guy who's easy to not notice until you're missing him when he's out of the lineup.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
We're doing fine, right on par with expectations. The only thing I'll put out there, though, is that we've had a somewhat easy schedule so far. A few extra games against lemmings.
You can only beat who is on your schedule. And there are never cakewalks in the NHL. I don't like that notion.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I very much hope so. Hecht is the kind of guy who's easy to not notice until you're missing him when he's out of the lineup.
Hecht is quite valuable when he plays. But we don't completely disintegrate, either, when he doesn't play - which is good.

I do worry about the hesitations to get dirty once he returns (due to the concussion). That's usually my biggest worry when coming off a head injury - the resiliency of your mental stability and toughness, etc.

Old
11-09-2011, 08:40 AM
puckish66

Well didn't Lindy say he had quite a lengthy worry list? It's probably too early to look at the record. They're three points out of first in the East and three points away from being out of the playoffs. But yeah the point total is acceptable.

The play at home just gnaws at me.

This is the way this season is going to go and should go. They're under the microscope. It'll be good to see who flourishes under pressure. Tom seems to like it, for one.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:53 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Plenty of people speculated this team would need time to gel and find itself. I think that's proving true.

They've played like absolute poop at home, yet are staying right with the pack in the top third of the conference. I'll take that, under the assumption they figure out how to play here again.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
slip

If I told you to start the season the Sabres would go 9-5 and be tied for 3rd in the conference, what would you have expected the tone on these boards to be?

The man-*****ing around here is out of control.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Clock

I remember many of us going nuts during the 06-07 season whenever a game wasn't handily won.

There will ALWAYS be negatives that get blown out of proportion by the fanbase. Nothing to worry about. Agree with the premise of the thread - the team's doing fine. There are going to be bumps in the road.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Facing early season adversity has its advantages long-term (as long as you rise to the challenge). The Sabres need these hiccups so they can learn to be a better team--obviously you don't want to start 3-9-2, but Miller having a rough patch forces the team to have to be better to win those games.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:22 AM
BritSabre

The frustration comes from not fulfilling our potential. Fact is we are playing poorly and getting results. Better to start cool and warm up than go the other way.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
puckish66

Here's a very positive note. The Sabres sit fifth in the league in faceoff winning percentage. This is uncharted territory for a Lindy Ruff team. The highest one of his teams ever finished was ninth in 06-07, and most of his years have been in the bottom third.

Gaustad's coming around, but it's Roy who leads the team in faceoffs taken. He's having a career year on the draw and Jason Pominville's improvement has been duly noted on this board.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:47 AM
punkr0x

At this point in the season record isn't too meaningful. What worries me is the lapses in concentration, letting leads slip away, getting better goaltending from our backup right now. There is a lot to work on, but I'm definitely happy with the 9-5 record. I think they're 9-5 despite a lot of mistakes, not 9-5 because they're playing great hockey.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
MayDay

Not that the standings really matter s much at this point in the season, but why are the Sabres listed in 5th place, behind Philadelphia, on both ESPN and NHL.com?

I thought total wins comes before head-to-head in the tiebreaking procedures? Buffalo should be listed 4th in the conference right now.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that shootout wins don't count towards the tiebreak anymore.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Here's a very positive note. The Sabres sit fifth in the league in faceoff winning percentage. This is uncharted territory for a Lindy Ruff team. The highest one of his teams ever finished was ninth in 06-07, and most of his years have been in the bottom third.

Gaustad's coming around, but it's Roy who leads the team in faceoffs taken. He's having a career year on the draw and Jason Pominville's improvement has been duly noted on this board.
Kevyn Adams' personalized work with the forwards on display there. It also takes some of the trepidation out of possible icings. It may be something for the defense to start using more lobs when under pressure or the forwards are not back deep enough for the outlet -- take the icing if need be. Rely on the center to win the draw and allow them to clear and change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
At this point in the season record isn't too meaningful. What worries me is the lapses in concentration, letting leads slip away, getting better goaltending from our backup right now. There is a lot to work on, but I'm definitely happy with the 9-5 record. I think they're 9-5 despite a lot of mistakes, not 9-5 because they're playing great hockey.
Yeah, they are 9-5 with only three or four well-played games. If they can continue to win and iron out the consistency issues with their scoring lines (Ennis and Leino early, Stafford a bit recently) and iffy d-zone play (just about everything since after the home opener) to Miller's netminding, the could grow into the expectations many have for them.