HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rank picks 3-13 in 2011

Old
11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Rank picks 3-13 in 2011

Obviously the draft happened not long ago, but I feel like a lot of the players drafted in this range were pretty damn close on draft day, and now we have a little more information on all of them. How would you rank the players draft from 3-13 in last year's draft? Don't take team needs into consideration, just rank them from best to worst as prospects, and feel free to leave out guys you haven't watched/don't know much about. Players also need not necessarily have done something to raise or lower their stocks since draft day, since this is just your personal opinion, and you may not have agreed with the draft order in the first place.

For a reference, here's the order they were drafted in:
- Jonathan Huberdeau
- Adam Larsson
- Ryan Strome
- Mika Zibanejad
- Mark Scheifele
- Sean Couturier
- Dougie Hamilton
- Jonas Brodin
- Duncan Siemens
- Ryan Murphy
- Sven Bartschi

My personal ranking
- Adam Larsson (don't think he'll be a superstar, but looks like he has a good shot to become a very steady, very solid top pairing dman)
- Dougie Hamilton (more risk than Larsson, but arguably a higher reward, great size and shows serious potential at both ends of the rink)
- Sean Couturier (should be a great 2-way 2nd line center in the near future, and I can see 1st line upside too)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (highly creative offensive player)
- Sven Bartschi (very high on him on draft day, and continue to be very high on him, hard working, well rounded offensive player whose skillset should easily transfer to the NHL, potential top line winger)
- Mark Scheifele (impressed by what I saw in Winnipeg, kid has a high hockey IQ and a good skillset, doesn't seem to use his size much but that's OK)
- Mika Zibanejad (thought he was a bit of a reach with guys like Couturier and Hamilton on the board, good player with a well rounded, 2 way game, but looks like more of a 2nd/3rd line center to me)
- Ryan Strome (also thought he was a bit of a reach, seems like more flash than substance to me, don't think he's going to be able to play the same way in the NHL)
- Ryan Murphy (should be a good offensive dman, John-Michael Liles with a better shot. Considered moving him up a spot or two, but left him here)

Not sure where to rank:
- Duncan Seimens

Know next to nothing about:
- Jonas Brodin

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Minister of Offence

1. Adam Larsson
(I'd put him at #2 at the moment, looks like a 10 year vet. Worth the hype)

2. Jonathan Huberdeau
(raw body, raw skills, he may not even make the NHL next year but I don't care. This guy will be a high end player)

3. Dougie Hamilton
(6'5 premiere skating Dman and torching the OHL in his 18 year old season)

4. Mika Zibanejad
(He'll be 6'2 220 someday and at 18 years old, having watched his last two games in the SEL, I'm not sure there's a more powerful skater in that league)
5. Mark Sheifele
(this is a tight one, I like his offensive upside over Couturier and I like the kid a lot)
6. Sean Couturier
(he rises a bit but I don't think this is a kid with 80 point upside at all, he'll thrive in defensive roles and be quite a bit like Jordan Staal. Like Staal, players with higher upside will pass him for 4-5 years post-draft)
7. Ryan Strome
(Upside real high, like the skills...his projections are questionable but he's a potential homerun)
8. Sven Baertschi
(Gotta admit, have seen very little of, only heard good things)
9. Ryan Murphy
(2nd pairing Dman that everyone wants to run their PP)
10. Jonas Brodin
(seen very little of, but I like him over Siemans who I wasn't overly high on where he got taken)
11. Duncan Siemens

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Kulemon

much too early

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote