HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carkner?

Old
11-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 641
Matt Carkner?

any updates on his status?

is he close to returning?

thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:31 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
seriously haven't heard anything on the guy

Don't think he'll get a regular roster spot anyways

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post

There has been lots said about him in The Sun (no wonder everyone missed it ), he started skating again last week which is a good sign. They still say he's not close to returning but he's skating with the team, so that's definitely a positive.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:20 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

It will be interesting to see what will happen with Carkner when he is fully recovered. He is a UFA & if Murray gets a decent offer for him at the trade deadline he could get moved but I'm of the opinion that they love his toughness & want to keep him in Ottawa, even if it's as a 7th D or 13th forward for at least another yr. Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Rundblad & Cowen I think are the defencemen that will finish the yr in Ottawa. If Carkner isn't traded that makes 6 D & Boroweicki could be the extra D for injury callups.

I still think the two defencemen who will either be traded this yr or just not re-signed at the end of the season are Kuba & Lee. The Sens still have three more defencemen in Bingo who are almost all NHL ready & two or three more who will join Bingo for next season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Stassino

Quote:

Prolly the best defensive d-man on the team.. Anderson would love having him clear the net for him.. We need a guy like Carkner in the worst way possible at this point.. Especially with people taking shots at Anderson (See Pacioretty)...

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Bobby Blowhard

^This will be a good post to bump after you get flamed but are proven right sometime around the mid point of the season.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

I just have a hard time imagining who comes out when he's ready and one of(if not both) Rundblad and Lee are playing well...and Kuba is still keeping up his solid play

Karlsson
Gonchar
Phillips
Rundblad
Cowen
Kuba
Lee
Carkner

..is a crowded blueline.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I just have a hard time imagining who comes out when he's ready and one of(if not both) Rundblad and Lee are playing well...and Kuba is still keeping up his solid play

Karlsson
Gonchar
Phillips
Rundblad
Cowen
Kuba
Lee
Carkner

..is a crowded blueline.
Lee won't be here very much longer.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post

Karlsson
Gonchar
Phillips
Rundblad
Cowen
Kuba
Lee
Carkner

..is a crowded blueline.
Lee won't play often, and when Carks comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee traded. Then Carks is the 7th D-man and all is good in the world.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Lee won't play often, and when Carks comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee traded. Then Carks is the 7th D-man and all is good in the world.
IMO I see Conboy, Shira, and Gryba moving, beiing moved, or not accepting the qualifying offer at the end of the year thus making room for the college kids coming up. I think they will keep Carkner if he heals adequately.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Suprmnjl

What was his injury and when did it happen?

Suprmnjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmnjl View Post
What was his injury and when did it happen?
He injured his knee last season, worked out too hard this summer rehabbing it, and it got worse this season. I forget which game it acted up in.

Edit - IR on October 4th, was listed as 4-6 weeks to recover.

11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Suprmnjl

Thank you!!!!

Suprmnjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I miss him

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Prolly the best defensive d-man on the team.. Anderson would love having him clear the net for him.. We need a guy like Carkner in the worst way possible at this point.. Especially with people taking shots at Anderson (See Pacioretty)...
You are kidding

Carkner is a reasonable 6/7 defencenman, and this toughness thing is really being grossly overplayed.

Charging the net has become the in-thing in the NHL, every team does it, because the NHL allows it for the sake of having more goals (offence). The consequences are seemingly next to nil, seldom does driving the puck to the net result in a penalty.

What happen to Anderson isn't a rare thing for goaltenders, I doubt it will stop anytime soon either, Carkner or no Carkner.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Very intersted to see if they carry 8 defencemen when Carkner comes back, or if Rundblad is Bingo bound.

Rundblad to the AHL is what I guessed before the Carkner injury. Nothing has changed now that Rundblad has played a couple REAL games in the NHL, and Carkner is close to coming back. We might carry 8 for a bit, but if there is no other player movement, Rundblad will get his chance to play more quality minutes in the AHL, IMO.

We will see. I trust Murray and MacLean to do what it right for the Sens and its players.
I would say that the first things to happen will be Carkner to Bingo on a conditioning assignment.

As for Lee, no need to trade him. He's cheap, happy to sit, and can play either side on defense or forward if need be. I doubt his value will be more than a mid-rounder.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:34 PM
True Story

Old
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

A conditioning stint for Carkner in Bingo is possible but that is usually only a week or so. My guess is that Murray has been shopping Kuba & Lee around & still no deal. If he still hasn't traded one of them by the time Carkner returns than he just might have to send Rundblad to Bingo. Although salary wise he can afford to keep 8 defencemen in Ottawa but having a couple of guys sitting & not playing is never a good thing.

The bigger question is going to be leading up to the trade deadline & whether anyone will want to take Kuba or Lee or Carkner in a trade. My guess is that Carkner & Kuba have the most value, if Kuba continues to play well. I think that Murray would like to trade Kuba & Lee but keep Carkner since I think they like his toughness, he's from the area, is cheap & is good in the community. I would also be surprised to see Murray trade 3 defencemen in one yr.

They also have to consider next season, do they want four young defencemen on their roster in Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen & Boroweicki who they seem to love? Carkner brings that veteran leadership & experience that can help the youg guys. Borocop is still young enough to be a callup next season without going through waivers so there is no rush to bring him up unless there are injuries.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:58 AM
True Story

Old
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
[1]Yeah, the player must first consent to go down, and they can only be down for 14 days, unless they consent once again, to stay for a longer period. While down, they are entitled to all NHL salary and benifits in his SPC.

[2]Deal Kuba? Are you bringing in another Dman that plays the left side? Makes no sense to trade a Dman for another one. If a defenceman is traded, you can bet it will be one that plays the right side IMO.
While I somewhat agree Gonchar & Rundblad can both play the left side although my guess it would be Rundblad first. From everything I have read Kuba is the guy Murray is trying to trade & then Lee but who knows for sure. My guess is that Kuba becomes more valuable as they approach the trade deadline, should be interesting with all of the UFAs that Ottawa could unload if they can find trading partners for picks & prospects.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Carkner blows chunks.

It does make sense for the team to trade Lee once Carkner becomes available though, he's the perfect 7th dman: slow, awful on defense and reasonably tough.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
True Story

Old
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
True Story

Old
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Very intersted to see if they carry 8 defencemen when Carkner comes back, or if Rundblad is Bingo bound.

Rundblad to the AHL is what I guessed before the Carkner injury. Nothing has changed now that Rundblad has played a couple REAL games in the NHL, and Carkner is close to coming back. We might carry 8 for a bit, but if there is no other player movement, Rundblad will get his chance to play more quality minutes in the AHL, IMO.

We will see. I trust Murray and MacLean to do what it right for the Sens and its players.
I agree. Gonchar isn't very good on either side, unfortunately they are stuck with him until the end of his contract unless he retires which I doubt. We still see glimpses of his old play but most of the time he just looks old. There were 20 give aways last night & the defence must of had most of them, I think Spezza had a few from I saw from the stands.

Quote:
You saw what happened to Gonchar last year when Clouston put him on his off side, and Gonchar has played there before. Nobody wants a repeat of that.

Rundblad is not going to play the left side. End of story. You don't put a rookie in a position to fail and that is the only outcome of Rundblad on the left side. He isn't even in the lineup on his right side lately (not performance based).

Kuba will not be traded right now. At the deadline, depending on where the Sens are in the standings, my opinion may differ. The only way Kuba gets traded right now, is if you are trading for another defenceman that can play top minutes on the left side at the NHL level right away. We all know that trade is not available. Kuba is that guy right now anyway. Kuba is exactly what we want and need right now, because well, he is playing like Kuba (one of the most consistent blueliners in the NHL over the last 10 seasons).
Quote:
Anyway, Lee will most likely find himself on the waiver wire soon IMO. Either that, or Rundblad goes to the AHL.

Murray and MacLean will make that decision and whatever it is, I stand by it.

A decision is coming, when Carkner is ready to be inserted back onto the 23 man roster and they get tired of having 2 defencemen in the pressbox for games.
I agree.