HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ferriero to Worcester 11/6

Old
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM

vCash: 500
Ferriero to Worcester 11/6

Just tweeted by DP...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
So he doesn't yet have to pass through waivers?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
So he doesn't yet have to pass through waivers?
Nope, he has one NHL game to go...which is why a lot of us are wondering why it didn't happen after the east coast swing.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Nope, he has one NHL game to go...which is why a lot of us are wondering why it didn't happen after the east coast swing.
DW may have wanted to talk to him before he got sent down. Because unless there is some sort of emergency or a critical need is present for him, this is probably his last shot until the playoffs or training camp next year. That assumes DW re-signs him to a new contract and doesn't let him go.

Ferriero seems increasingly like a good AHL'er who doesn't translate for the Sharks in the NHL. He doesn't have the skill for top 6, and isn't physical enough for the bottom 6, and from this run, doesn't have the offense for even a 3rd-line role at the moment. He might end up being like Goc, someone who just needs to get away from SJ to get his chance.

He could be trade bait at this point. Although I believe the Baby Sharks could definitely use some offensive help, so who knows what the orgs plans for him are.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
DW may have wanted to talk to him before he got sent down. Because unless there is some sort of emergency or a critical need is present for him, this is probably his last shot until the playoffs or training camp next year. That assumes DW re-signs him to a new contract and doesn't let him go.

Ferriero seems increasingly like a good AHL'er who doesn't translate for the Sharks in the NHL. He doesn't have the skill for top 6, and isn't physical enough for the bottom 6, and from this run, doesn't have the offense for even a 3rd-line role at the moment. He might end up being like Goc, someone who just needs to get away from SJ to get his chance.

He could be trade bait at this point. Although I believe the Baby Sharks could definitely use some offensive help, so who knows what the orgs plans for him are.
Now a question for the CBA folks...can Ferriero be recalled under emergency conditions and not have to clear waivers when he's sent back to Worcester (presuming he plays a game, of course)?

Old
11-06-2011, 04:06 PM

San Jose has now announced the transaction...

Old
11-06-2011, 05:29 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Now a question for the CBA folks...can Ferriero be recalled under emergency conditions and not have to clear waivers when he's sent back to Worcester (presuming he plays a game, of course)?
Nope - if he plays one more game (even under Emergency Recall) he will need to clear Waivers to be sent back down.

The only Waiver benefit to Emergency Recall is for a player who clears waivers, is loaned, and then recalled. Under a normal recall, the player remains waiver exempt (and may be loaned again w/o Waivers) until he plays 10 NHL games or is on an NHL Roster for 30 days since last clearing waivers. If recalled as an Emergency Recall, the 10 game/30 day limit does not apply and the player may be returned without waivers even after the 10 games/30 days.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Nope - if he plays one more game (even under Emergency Recall) he will need to clear Waivers to be sent back down.

The only Waiver benefit to Emergency Recall is for a player who clears waivers, is loaned, and then recalled. Under a normal recall, the player remains waiver exempt (and may be loaned again w/o Waivers) until he plays 10 NHL games or is on an NHL Roster for 30 days since last clearing waivers. If recalled as an Emergency Recall, the 10 game/30 day limit does not apply and the player may be returned without waivers even after the 10 games/30 days.
Wow, I did have it right.

Thanks for confirming it for me.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:46 PM
SJSharks2010

Never really bought the hype in him. Not saying he was done with the team, just saying I never saw what everyone else did in him I guess.

I see him as more of a career AHLer, maybe getting called up due to injuries once in a blue moon.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

I was never a big fan of ferriero. Not good enough offencively to be top 6. Not physical enough to be a bottom 6. To me he could get 4th line minutes on a team that lacks forward depth.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

To me he'll be a career Wellwood. Not particularly talented enough to be a regular top-sixer, not physical enough for a checking role. Maybe he'd have some value to a team like Columbus.

Old
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
KirbyDots

Wow. Tone down the "all is lost" with Ferriero crap. He played well in the games he was up here, works hard etc. He just doesn't fit with the third line that the team is going for at the moment. If they were to go with three scoring lines he could be very effective, but its a safer bet to keep him in store until a situation arrives that he is need, IE injury, than to try that and burn his last game before his exemption runs out. If he played with another team with less depth he'd be fine. I don't see Ferriero as Vesce just yet, we need to take the time to develop our players before giving up on them. The slow development an org like Detroit uses works wonders. I think Ferriero looked better this year than last and will continue to improve as the work ethic seems to be there, this was always a criticism of Wellwood(who may have actually found some consistency this year with the jets). I think Ferriero goes back and continues to play hard and improve in the ahl, if he can put on a few more pounds of muscle too that wont hurt either. Maybe the org can get something for him and get him on a team where he stands a legit chance of sticking, like what happened with Joslin last year. But really, more depth never hurt anyone. Rant over.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Rickety Cricket

How dare you all insult our 2nd best prospect.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Admiral*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
How dare you all insult our 2nd best prospect.
If Ferriero is the Sharks' 2nd best prospect, they are in a lot worse shape than we thought.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
If Ferriero is the Sharks' 2nd best prospect, they are in a lot worse shape than we thought.
Hockey's Future thinks that he's our second best prospect. Last year they though Petrecki was our second best prospect, which says a lot about them.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
Sharks easily have one of, if not, the worst prospect groups in the league. That's not something new. It's a sacrifice that DW has made in order to put out a Cup-contending team.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Hockey's Future thinks that he's our second best prospect. Last year they though Petrecki was our second best prospect, which says a lot about them.
It says more about San Jose's prospects...

Old
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
He doesn't have the skill for top 6, and isn't physical enough for the bottom 6
I agree.

He's not a bad player by any means. He just doesn't fit with this team since there are only two scoring lines this year.

Quote:
To me he'll be a career Wellwood.
I like that comparison. That kind of player will be valuable to a few teams.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sharks easily have one of, if not, the worst prospect groups in the league. That's not something new. It's a sacrifice that DW has made in order to put out a Cup-contending team.
I agree that at least on paper the sharks have the worst group in the league. However, I wouldn't be surprised if five years from now, at least five of Nieto, Sgarbossa, Hamilton, Viedensky, Doherty, Petrecki, Braun, and one of the goalies are all solid players.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I agree that at least on paper the sharks have the worst group in the league. However, I wouldn't be surprised if five years from now, at least five of Nieto, Sgarbossa, Hamilton, Viedensky, Doherty, Petrecki, Braun, and one of the goalies are all solid players.
Braun, sure, Nieto, maybe, Doherty, maybe, Petrecki, unlikely and the rest have very little chance at being impact players. I'd be absolutely shocked to say the least if 5 of our prospects become impact players.

Old
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Braun, sure, Nieto, maybe, Doherty, maybe, Petrecki, unlikely and the rest have very little chance at being impact players. I'd be absolutely shocked to say the least if 5 of our prospects become impact players.
Matt Trick said 'solid' players, not impact players - and I agree with him.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
I think that a bunch of those guys can be good bottom-sixers. Only Nieto has top-six upside.

Old
11-07-2011, 06:50 PM
PondShark

Hopefully Benn goes down to Worcester and works on his game. He will need to be ready for 4th line PO duty.

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
matt trick

FWIW, I think Justin Braun is our best prospect and is very likely to develop into a complete top 4 d-man. FWIW, I think Doherty is pretty overrated, but I do think he should become a third pairing d-man, even if it is as little more than a Boris Valabik. As of now, he is a project, but I am still very happy with that pick, although I had hoped for Tatar or Panik. Risky, but a risk well worth taking. His skating and offensive ability started to really blossom last year, and if thing work out, he could be a wonderful player to have, but I expect that is years down the line. I agree Nieto is the only forward who we should realistically hope to be a top 6 forward, but I do think Hamilton-Viedensky-Sgarbossa could be a sick third line in a few years, and I wouldn't be shocked if one of them proved even better (Sgarbossa would be the one I'd count on). I expect Petrecki to reach a Vandermeer type level within the next two years. I'll be disappointed if he can't better that. I think Stalock and Sateri are both capable of becoming starters. I expect Sateri to be better at stopping the puck, but Stalock's puckmoving could prove to be a real asset. They both have it in them to be starting goalies, however so do probably 75 other prospects. In the next 5 years, 15 of them might work out, hopefully one of our guys do.

There is no doubt that our prospect pool is weak, but it is not without players who will have NHL careers. Hopefully, we bring home a pair of top 6 forwards next draft, and 3 over the next two years (or acquire 1-2 young guys who can add scoring long term).

Sorry just realized how off topic I've gotten. I am glad to see Ferrerio headed down to Woostah, they need more offensive and Ferrerio is probably their best forward. Playing a primary offensive role shoud also be good for him, we'll need him again if Doug doesn't acquire a top 6 forward.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Matt Trick said 'solid' players, not impact players - and I agree with him.
The way I see it any solid player is an impact player.

I'm not trying to criticise, but which players exactly do you think are going to become regular NHLers? Like I said, Braun I can see, then 3 question marks and the rest range from unlikely to no chance in hell.