Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newest Wild Fan

Old
11-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
All I know is Duluth is a beautiful area and seems like it'd be a decent school to go to. I absolutely hated the U of M and transferred out after two years to go to MSU Mankato. Mankato was ten times a better school and a much better college community.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:35 AM
mnwildgophers

I thought I wouldn't like a big school which is why I went to UMD to begin with, but over time I realized U of M was right for me. I think most of the schools around here are good in general, I just liked what the U had to offer more.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I don't think there's a worse "campus" in the surrounding states area than the U. Absolutely dreadful and takes away from what a real college experience should be. With that said, there's absolutely legit education programs there that are viable on a national scale. In some aspects, it's a pretty good school to attend. I just would never want to.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I'm a U of M grad, and I had a blast there. The huge, impersonal environment, incredible breadth of course offerings, and easy access to downtown Minneapolis were real perks to me.

I've spent a lot of time on the state U campuses in recent years, and I don't think you can go wrong with a UMD, Mankato, Winona, St. Cloud, etc. They all have their charms.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
No, the transfer rate is right where it should be expected. I mean, the school actually has dedicated transfer program for several majors, and even a few majors that can only be done as 2 @ UMD + 2 @ UofM. Outside of the people who were always intended to transfer from the moment they were admitted, the only transfers are those soft cities folk who can't live outside of their extremely sheltered environment.
I think the weather has a lot to do with it, too. People somehow don't expect that the days will be shorter when you drive north for five hours, and don't realize that, hey, those nifty tunnels they built to keep you from having to go out in the cold also mean you basically never see the sun in the winter.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:46 AM
GreatStateofHockey

vCash: 50
Decided to get a 10 game pack. Prices really aren't that bad, hoping for a good season and the wild are on the upswing.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Sweet man. Hopefully you get to see a good team.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Sportsfan1

You are going to LOVE the U, best four in a half years of my life, make sure to check all of it out in both Minneapolis and St. Paul!

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Welcome. Enjoy your stay. Mpls is a great city to reside in. Just don't take any s**t from the sometime aggressive panhandlers and d-bag cabbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
That's true although I hate to think how bad the 16 and 50 (the bus routes for going from the U to downtown St. Paul) are right now.
Doesn't Metro Transit offer free fares if you show your Wild game ticket stub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZibanejad View Post
Haha no, just a Sens fan . Going to slowly convert from Sens to Wild. Going to be a hard journey
Don't feel you HAVE to abandon your Senator fandom to feel like you belong in Wild country. Just don't burn our s**t down please.

Quote:
Yes, I would prefer he requests another trade. Michalek > Heatley, and I'm sure a return would fetch a much Better player.
I've been lucky to meet him twice last year, and he genuinely seems like a real nice guy. I understand why as a Senator fan you have some ill feelings toward him.

If you are also going to be a Rodent hockey fan expect a little good natured heckling. In Minnesota we aren't all about the maroon and gold. UM-Duluth, UND, U of Cheesconsin, St Cloud State, Mankato State and Bemidji State have their presence as well. And FYI. Go Huskies Go!!!

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
GreatStateofHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Welcome. Enjoy your stay. Mpls is a great city to reside in. Just don't take any s**t from the sometime aggressive panhandlers and d-bag cabbies

Don't feel you HAVE to abandon your Senator fandom to feel like you belong in Wild country. Just don't burn our s**t down please.

I've been lucky to meet him twice last year, and he genuinely seems like a real nice guy. I understand why as a Senator fan you have some ill feelings toward him.

If you are also going to be a Rodent hockey fan expect a little good natured heckling. In Minnesota we aren't all about the maroon and gold. UM-Duluth, UND, U of Cheesconsin, St Cloud State, Mankato State and Bemidji State have their presence as well. And FYI. Go Huskies Go!!!
I plan on attending as many games as possible for the U but I decided not to get the season tickets as I have my plate full already with The Wild and Football games.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
I plan on attending as many games as possible for the U but I decided not to get the season tickets as I have my plate full already with The Wild and Football games.
Don't worry about the other college hockey teams, they usually don't have anything to root for, they just root to hate the Gophers. They're all jealous.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
centcougar07

I go to UMD and I love it there. It's great academically and you don't get lost in the crowd like you do at UMTC. I also have season tickets to the Bulldog hockey games. If you've never been to Amsoil arena for a Gopher/Bulldog game it's something you'll want to experience while you're still in college.

As far as the Wild, hopefully they can make the playoffs this year and bring the playoffs back to the State of Hockey. Good investment with the tickets.

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I'm sure the Wild would love to see more people like you. Tough sell for college kids with the U and WCHA being in their backyard.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I'm sure the Wild would love to see more people like you. Tough sell for college kids with the U and WCHA being in their backyard.
Though they sure aren't showing it. College tickets are up to $35 now and only three nights a week.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
They do. The issue is that with University Ave under construction with light rail it's an extremely long and congested bus ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Though they sure aren't showing it. College tickets are up to $35 now and only three nights a week.
Yep and it's not like they are the best hockey team in town (sorry Wild). Don't understand why a team would think that's a deal for college students. Look at someone like New Jersey who share some similarities with Minnesota - tickets are half that.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
They do. The issue is that with University Ave under construction with light rail it's an extremely long and congested bus ride.
The light rail should be completed in 2014, which will be an excellent way to go directly from the U to downtown St. Paul.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

Yep and it's not like they are the best hockey team in town (sorry Wild). Don't understand why a team would think that's a deal for college students. Look at someone like New Jersey who share some similarities with Minnesota - tickets are half that.
Well the Wild are in a tricky spot because, in general, they really don't need any help selling upper-deck tickets. So they could easily offer $20 (a reasonable, though honestly still a little pricy for students) tickets up there, except those seats are already taken. Meanwhile, they're not gonna give college kids $80+ lower bowl tickets for $20. Their real issue with selling out games is that way too much of the arena capacity consists of high-priced real-estate. I know they need to keep average ticket prices up, but there are lots of butts they could be putting in seats in the $20-30 range rather than the $80-100 range. (And not just college students... get the blue-collar crowd in and make the crowds fun again.)

Also, fun fact: when contacted by a ticket rep after last season, I was informed that my 5-game flex pack wouldn't be offered again next season but that I was welcome to upgrade to a 10-game fixed-schedule pack. When I explained that I am a student living an hour from the arena with no car or public transit to St. Paul, and that I can only use tickets to a very specific subset of games (namely, those that fall during breaks) they basically just offered to call back in August and ask again. They came into the market hoping to be a premium product and they really have no idea how the segment of the population that doesn't show up to games in a Lexus thinks.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 06-24-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 10:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Well the Wild are in a tricky spot because, in general, they really don't need any help selling upper-deck tickets. So they could easily offer $20 (a reasonable, though honestly still a little pricy for students) tickets up there, except those seats are already taken. Meanwhile, they're not gonna give college kids $80+ lower bowl tickets for $20. Their real issue is that way too much of the arena capacity is high-priced seats.
That's an issue right now, but once the team gets back on track and rolling, it's going to be their biggest asset.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:23 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The light rail should be completed in 2014, which will be an excellent way to go directly from the U to downtown St. Paul.
The light rail will be nice when it finishes.

Quote:
Well the Wild are in a tricky spot because, in general, they really don't need any help selling upper-deck tickets. So they could easily offer $20 (a reasonable, though honestly still a little pricy for students) tickets up there, except those seats are already taken. Meanwhile, they're not gonna give college kids $80+ lower bowl tickets for $20. Their real issue is that way too much of the arena capacity is high-priced seats.
That's true and different than the Wolves (who couldn't fill a building to save their life up until last year) but the question remains. Why have a college night and market it to college students if the majority of them can't afford to spend over $50 on a night? Right now it's easier and much cheaper to go buy tickets on the secondary market if they even want to watch Minnesota.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Well, I was recently accepted to the University of Minnesota and I'm excited to know that I will be within close proximity to the Xcel Center!

Is there anything special I should know about Minneapolis/the Wild? I know a good amount about the team and the prospects just by being a fan of hockey,

Go Wild!
Welcome!!

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Gopher hockey is going to be really good this year, so you picked a good year to come

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
That's an issue right now, but once the team gets back on track and rolling, it's going to be their biggest asset.
Any financial strategy that relies on the team winning is not a sound one.

I can almost guarantee the Vikings will be struggling with attendance, say, 10 years from now, when the team is still terrible, but all the working-class fans (including a lot more working-class STHs, since it's a lot more accessible on an 8-game, all-Sunday schedule) have been completely priced out of the extravagant new stadium that was supposed to solve all their woes.

Quote:
That's true and different than the Wolves (who couldn't fill a building to save their life up until last year) but the question remains. Why have a college night and market it to college students if the majority of them can't afford to spend over $50 on a night? Right now it's easier and much cheaper to go buy tickets on the secondary market if they even want to watch Minnesota.
I actually do use it quite a bit because for the seats it is a fairly reasonable price. But I'm not even vaguely representative of the college student market; I generally plan on shelling out some money for Wild games each year, whereas their goal with discount tickets is to capture people who wouldn't otherwise think about going. (And, ideally with college tickets, capturing young new fans.)

Old
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Any financial strategy that relies on the team winning is not a sound one.
There's still nothing stopping them from further sub-dividing the lower level and cutting the price on certain seats. They can always lower prices on those seats for a special "deal." There's only so high you can raise the prices on the upper level seats though.

The financial strategy doesn't "rely on winning." It simply "maximizes revenue when winning." There's a substantial difference.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
There's still nothing stopping them from further sub-dividing the lower level and cutting the price on certain seats. They can always lower prices on those seats for a special "deal." There's only so high you can raise the prices on the upper level seats though.

The financial strategy doesn't "rely on winning." It simply "maximizes revenue when winning." There's a substantial difference.
And they will soon need to adopt that former strategy, rather than continuing with the current one. But it won't solve all the problems. There's only so low you can bring those subdivided tickets without devaluing the ones around them too, and they're simply not going to be able to break the barrier where they can tap into a new market base. They've saturated the upper-middle-class and upper-class, or at least the parts of it that will tolerate this much sustained losing.

The current pricing scheme is not financially sustainable for the Wild. They really need to raise ticket revenues.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I actually do use it quite a bit because for the seats it is a fairly reasonable price. But I'm not even vaguely representative of the college student market; I generally plan on shelling out some money for Wild games each year, whereas their goal with discount tickets is to capture people who wouldn't otherwise think about going. (And, ideally with college tickets, capturing young new fans.)
We agree on the same points.